• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the list has to be taken with a grain of salt.
But if you remove projects then you open a can of worms about other projects as well.
The Ron Paul game for example.
Not too mention that a lot of the projects might be over their head like YourWorld (for sure) or even Takedown and there is a good chance that not even half of the funded projects make it to a finished product (and even less of them to a well-received and -reviewed product).

I say draw the line when the creators are blatantly misrepresenting their project. YourWorld, for all that it was, was not deceptive. The Ron Paul guy skirts the line because he's outright faced the critics and said that the version of the game they pulled from his server is not representative of what he's planning to do. So now that's simply a question of whether he's straight lying or not.

Eternia is clearly omitting some damning information from its pitch. These are not facts that the average visitor to the page can uncover. If the project page is flat out deceptive, then it should not be listed. That would mean being complicit in a scam.

I think it should be left in, but maybe add a comment saying it's a bit dubious, and link to a good posted summary of what is wrong. That is ultimately more beneficial to the casual visitor of this thread.

Kicktraq shouldn't be used as a serious gauge of anything except raw data.

Oh I know, but it can still give you a vague idea of what to expect.

But looking at the main list, here are a few other projects ending soon that won't make it:

Class of Heroes II Bonus Content: Ends in 30 hours, trailed off at $93,155. I like Vic Ireland and his game translations. But this was a bit of a long shot. Sorry this one didn't make it Vic...

Your World: Haha! 1.1 million dollar goal. This thing has been stuck at $20k since forever. 7 days left. Good luck guys.:p

Gnilley - The Yelling Game: Interesting concept. They didn't really ask for much money though, shame they didn't get much traction. they need $8,000 in three days.

Popchilla's World: A Game for Kids with Autism: A game with a good cause. They need less than 21k in 5 days. I don't think they will make it...

Ninja Warz: An iOS/ Android game asking for $250k. They have $2,020 with 6 days to go. Uhhh yeah.... The lesson learned here is that people aren't willing to give big money to fund a mobile game. :S

Hard Contact
: They still need $99,000 in 8 days.... yeah....

Tortured Hearts - or, How I Saved The Universe. Again.
: This one has some good art and an interesting idea. It doesn't look bad. But with $290,000 left to go in three days... it won't make it.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Adventure Mysteries: Needs $40,000 with three days to go.... probably won't make it. I vaguely remember the old Sega CD FMV adventure game, so I don't have much to say about this one.

gabbo

I agree that the list has to be taken with a grain of salt.
But if you remove projects then you open a can of worms about other projects as well.
The Ron Paul game for example.
Not too mention that a lot of the projects might be over their head like YourWorld (for sure) or even Takedown and there is a good chance that not even half of the funded projects make it to a finished product (and even less of them to a well-received and -reviewed product).

There is a difference between a game that might not be finished/good vs fly-by-night projects that never intend to produce anything

boingball

Ninja Warz: An iOS/ Android game asking for $250k. They have $2,020 with 6 days to go. Uhhh yeah.... The lesson learned here is that people aren't willing to give big money to fund a mobile game. :S

Did you watch their video? I believe the Kickstarter itself is their project as a parody on Kickstarter projects. That was in no way a serious pitch and the lack of any updates also speaks volumes.

boingball

I say draw the line when the creators are blatantly misrepresenting their project. YourWorld, for all that it was, was not deceptive. The Ron Paul guy skirts the line because he's outright faced the critics and said that the version of the game they pulled from his server is not representative of what he's planning to do. So now that's simply a question of whether he's straight lying or not.

Eternia is clearly omitting some damning information from its pitch. These are not facts that the average visitor to the page can uncover. If the project page is flat out deceptive, then it should not be listed. That would mean being complicit in a scam.

Well, but now we are vetting the list. So all projects remaining on the list are now NeoGAF approved?

to clarify my position: If Kickstarter does not remove the project, why should NeoGAF?

Did you watch their video? I believe the Kickstarter itself is their project as a parody on Kickstarter projects. That was in no way a serious pitch and the lack of any updates also speaks volumes.

I'd like to believe. That was a goddamn amazing video if a parody. I still remember that video that was beat for beat the DFA video, only with much more low brow humor.

Nope. I stopped watching the moment he dropped the samurai sword and started talking. But I took another look, and I suppose you're right. Haha! Is he razzing the Republique developers? Seems like he put a lot of effort in this to drive home a point to someone.

It you are like me, you probably only saw the title and money they were asking. Then skimmed over the rest of it without reading any of the details. :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, but now we are vetting the list. So all projects remaining on the list are now NeoGAF approved?

to clarify my position: If Kickstarter does not remove the project, why should NeoGAF?

I feel like I've brought this up before, albeit slightly differently.

It doesn't seem like a "scam" in that they're going to take the money and run. They're just not being up front with details that some people would consider crucial. In fact I'm not even sure they're being outright dishonest at all, they've clearly said it's an RPG Maker game, and that they're using free assets and mods. They may not have plastered that all over their main kickstarter page, but it's also not like they're not divulging that information. And of course, it's probably going to result in a game in the end. Probably not a good game, but a game nonetheless.

If that one is getting removed, then there are probably quite a few others that probably don't really deserve to be on the list either. I mean, the devs behind Erythia seem to be giving even less details.

boingball

I feel like I've brought this up before, albeit slightly differently.

It doesn't seem like a "scam" in that they're going to take the money and run. They're just not being up front with details that some people would consider crucial. In fact I'm not even sure they're being outright dishonest at all, they've clearly said it's an RPG Maker game, and that they're using free assets and mods. They may not have plastered that all over their main kickstarter page, but it's also not like they're not divulging that information. And of course, it's probably going to result in a game in the end. Probably not a good game, but a game nonetheless.

If that one is getting removed, then there are probably quite a few others that probably don't really deserve to be on the list either. I mean, the devs behind Erythia seem to be giving even less details.

Yup, I believe that this will actually be a game which will be made, since it is not too difficult to get a game made with RPGMaker. Though the people pledging for it will probably not really be happy with the end result.

Anyway, this thread is not my thread and if the OP is fine with vetting the list, it is fine with me as well. I could always make my own thread if I am too unhappy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Spriter is about to hit $60,000. Looks like they're also planning to add stuff like the procedural animation feature. Might come close to 300% funded when it ends in just under 2 days.

Funny to think I was worried it wouldn't hit the $25,000 mark initially.

boingball

Just browsing through Kickstarter.

This project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548215972/devil-gene-r
is finishing in 4 days and probably not making it (35% of 10k funded).

Another failed project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1705039471/army-antz?ref=card
finishing in four days (10% of 10k funded).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/698159145/atari-2600-star-castle?ref=recently_launched
will probably make it. Already at 60% of the funding. Well he got a nice coverage
http://blog.makezine.com/2012/04/26/star-castle-finally-ported-to-atari-2600/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1479679929/gubble-3d-new-retro-maze-videogame-by-ex-atari-des on the other hand is still not going anywhere. $759 pledged.

And Your World now has a story
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world/posts

Dwayne

I like kickstarter and all, but man do I hate their website. They have a crap load of content on there but shitty navigation & filtering options :/

I like kickstarter and all, but man do I hate their website. They have a crap load of content on there but shitty navigation & filtering options :/

Yeah I agree. Browsing for new projects on their website is a pain if it isn't listed in the "most popular" section. It really is hard to find anything, unless you know exactly what to look for in the search field.

Awesome. This project's gonna be gaining some serious ground now!

I know this is kind of counter-productive thinking (especially since I donated to it), but if Republique gets fully funded due to the new PC version, I will facepalm.

mclem

I wonder if Chuck's Challenge will make it. It's been going very slowly, but there's only 1.5K left to get.

That said, I do hope their 5k bidder is sincere, 'cause otherwise they're screwed.

Violet_0

Banned
with the Shadowrun Kickstarter coming to an end, I wonder what the next big gaming project will be. *crosses fingers for Obsidian RPG*

mclem

with the Shadowrun Kickstarter coming to an end, I wonder what the next big gaming project will be. *crosses fingers for Obsidian RPG*

If I were Obsidian, I'd perhaps lie low for a bit. They've got some funding for a short while covered now via Wasteland, so their immediate survival should be secure, and it might be beneficial to hold off for a month or two until the post-DFA rush is completely over.

There's also a small factor in that I'm already aware that I'm going to be getting two RPGs next year which - hopefully! - will be great, detailed and long. A release window separated from those might be beneficial for *all* parties..

Violet_0

Banned
If I were Obsidian, I'd perhaps lie low for a bit. They've got some funding for a short while covered now via Wasteland, so their immediate survival should be secure, and it might be beneficial to hold off for a month or two until the post-DFA rush is completely over.

hm, I doubt that Obsidian gets any money from the Wasteland Kickstarter (I was under the impression that Avalone was just helping with the writing in his spare time) and they still have around 100 employees, so a project of such a small size wouldn't help them much anyway

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I know this is kind of counter-productive thinking (especially since I donated to it), but if Republique gets fully funded due to the new PC version, I will facepalm.
Yeah it sucks for Payton who seemed really gung ho about being iOS only, but I like that KS is one of the few places where computer desktop gamers don't get kicked around and spat on. I think there just needs to be more of an awareness of KS in the iOS gaming community, which will come as more and more iOS games are posted.

I think there just needs to be more of an awareness of KS in the iOS gaming community, which will come as more and more iOS games are posted.

The iOS press has come down pretty hard against Kickstarter, so if such awareness spreads it would have to be purely grassroots.

Anyway, two interesting developments today. There's this new indie Kickstarter called MYTHIC which figured that what worked for The Banner Saga should work for them, literally; they copied and pasted the reward tiers almost verbatim.

Secondly, the Grim Dawn Kickstarter campaign now has sponsorship from Logitech. This is an interesting new thing for Kickstarter campaigns, and I wonder if it might become a trend.

936911-GFDDP6V.png

Coverly

Anyway, two interesting developments today. There's this new indie Kickstarter called MYTHIC which figured that what worked for The Banner Saga should work for them, literally; they copied and pasted the reward tiers almost verbatim.

You weren't kidding about the pledge similarities! I didn't get a good feeling on this kickstarter though, the pitch was sort of missing any sort of energy that other videos have. If they only need 80k for capture and soundtrack, then where is all the other work such as specific character designs and other details? All that is there is broad landscapes and concept drawings.

The iOS press has come down pretty hard against Kickstarter, so if such awareness spreads it would have to be purely grassroots.

Secondly, the Grim Dawn Kickstarter campaign now has sponsorship from Logitech. This is an interesting new thing for Kickstarter campaigns, and I wonder if it might become a trend.

936911-GFDDP6V.png

This is going to help them keep more money for budget. Very smart.

I wonder if Chuck's Challenge will make it. It's been going very slowly, but there's only 1.5K left to get.

Why haven't you people all contributed to Chuck's Challenge, anyway?!

It can't help that Apple keeps you from giving away "free" copies of your app to backers.

gabbo

For those following Nekro: it seems their newest pitch to get people interested ($99 tier for a signed box copy, BTS dvd and a Live stream of development) has done them some good. They jumped to $91K of the 100K goal, with 5 days left.

For those following Nekro: it seems their newest pitch to get people interested ($99 tier for a signed box copy, BTS dvd and a Live stream of development) has done them some good. They jumped to $91K of the 100K goal, with 5 days left.

I would jump the fuck on that if I had any money at all that I could freely spend.

Yeah it's nuts and great to see that they were listening to the community about the tier rewards being kinda crappy. I personally see the upgrade from $15 to $25 to be kinda dumb and not worth the 10 extra dollars, but the change in tier rewards afterwards have done them some good.
I even upgraded from $15 to $99, totally worth it.

Haunted

That is a blatant scam, all the concept art was stolen from various free accounts/portfolios around the web, even the shots of their offices linked to on the official website were taken from another company. Check out the comments section for links.

I'm a bit sad this even got to over $4.5k before the Kickstarter was cancelled (first time I've seen that happen) and the developer completely deleted from the site. Do your research before pledging, people.

Hatten

I'm a bit sad this even got to over $4.5k before the Kickstarter was cancelled (first time I've seen that happen) and the developer completely deleted from the site

What I'm really surprised is how/why the checkers at kickstarter didnt see this and allowed the game to get through

Tenck

Man I want the Boothill Heroes one so badly :3

Just hope they fix some of those graphics that play when you're about to fight a monster.

ArjanN

That said, I do hope their 5k bidder is sincere, 'cause otherwise they're screwed.

$12,896 pledged of $12,500 goal with 5 hours to go.

The Sherlock Holmes consulting detective kickstarter didn't make it.

Here's the update:

Update #5: Thank you!

Friends,

I want to express my deepest thanks for supporting this project! I am very grateful for your love of Holmes, Watson and this particular kind of adventure game. I have had the pleasure of emailing back and forth with many of you and I appreciate your efforts to get the word out about Consulting Detective!

As you know, I never had the intention of using kickstarter to fund my company - I simply wanted to get others involved in a series of games that I have a deep passion for. And while this may sound trite (forgive me) I feel like I did just that.

So, you may ask, what now? Well, I started Zojoi to release these games and that's what I will do - it may just take a while longer so I hope you will wait for me, perhaps with pipe in hand and your coat at the ready. For you fans of Shadowgate and the other 'MacVentures', yes, we are moving forward with these games as well (in ways that are unbelievably cool!) More on that in the next couple of months.

I hope you will continue to follow our progress on the Zojoi site and, if you don't mind, I'll post from time to time here to let you know where we are at as well.

Again, thank you for making this a great experience! I'm excited about what is waiting just around the next bend...

Best,

Dave Marsh

“Now is the dramatic moment of fate, Watson, when you hear a step upon the stair which is walking into your life, and you know not whether for good or ill.”
Sir Conan Arthur Doyle

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Has this been posted about?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967856643/dark-meridian
lg_shot5.jpg

Dark Meridian, some RTS RPG TPS hybrid that may be potentially interesting. It looks quite rough in the footage but I guess that's the point of needing money. And they do need quite a bit of that, quite a bit.

I'm not into multiplayer much but it does seem to have co-op PVE type content, so it's not just a twist on the Savage games.

I didn't actually look into it much yet, I just saw it on RPGWatch and thought it may have potential.

If anyone looks it up and sees something interesting my skimming missed feel free to let us know :p

Edit: also, interesting backing option:
Early Backer Special! Be one of the first 1000 people to back this project, and you will get the $64 reward for only $16!

Oh wow wow wow. Remember that MYTHIC game that stole its reward tiers from The Banner Saga? Turns out that's not all they stole.

Just read the comments section yourself, this is the most brazen scam yet.

A few members of our team worked at BDG last year beforeother found out the owner was being shady with funds. They left and joined our team shortly after. As for the concept art, it seems we have been subjected to false claims of ownership right to our concepts. The game itself is well in progress and is NOT a scam of any kind. Thank you for understanding. If you have any furthure questions please feel free to ask.

Project canceled.

lol

Violet_0

Banned
Edit: also, interesting backing option:
Early Backer Special! Be one of the first 1000 people to back this project, and you will get the $64 reward for only $16!

seems unlikely to me that this Kickstarter will make it (nor do I really trust this project), and on top of that, the reward tiers are rather uninviting

"Pledge $64 or more:

E-book copy of the Dark Meridian novel. Digital copy of the game with exclusive in-game content.
"

you get the same with the $32 tier + a $32 e-book, apparently

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's still donating, not necessarily merely buying something on its exact value...

The $16 and $32 tiers seem decent enough to me even for that purpose though.

Some Kickstarter projects even have a pledge tier that's too low to get you the actual product, just some complimentary stuff.

I'm not saying I have confidence in their abilities, I don't know them, but I have no reason to say they have malicious intentions at this point. They might make a good game, or not, it may or may not get funded, it has little to do with decency.

Their video shows a lot of different elements, they've clearly worked a lot on it, even if it looks a little amateur hour.

As does their website and Kickstarter page, but eh, not everyone's good at PR.

The low framerate of the video doesn't help either.

Munin

seems unlikely to me that this Kickstarter will make it (nor do I really trust this project), and on top of that, the reward tiers are rather uninviting

"Pledge $64 or more:

E-book copy of the Dark Meridian novel. Digital copy of the game with exclusive in-game content.
"

you get the same with the $32 tier + a $32 e-book, apparently

I think people place way too much value on the "tiers" or what they are "getting". At the end, you are funding a project on the sole basis that you like it and don't expect anything in return (except the product itself). That is all that should matter, not obsessing over what you are getting or not getting with your pledge and how much that stuff is worth or not worth.

gabbo

I'm kind of curious about what happens to all of the hardware if the game doesn't get funded. It wasn't much of a boost for Gravitaz. I hate the name, but I'm still hoping...

A mass sell-off perhaps or it goes back to Logitech would be the most likely options.
I too am still hoping gravitaz manages to pull it out. They need to get more active on their project page to drum up interest instead of sitting idly by and watching or relying solely on current backers to spread the word for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom