• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be funny if people didnn't care about such petty things but here, they really do.

People actually criticized the design/location of the 3DS power button.

A FRICKING POWER BUTTON.
Yea i know i have it's crazy.I mean you're only going to use that button twice,and it never gets in the way.

Conor 419

Banned
The thing is, whilst you give us information, it's nothing particularly exciting. You may as well let us wait till the conference and just post as a regular member.

I WANT A BLACK WiiU ! Hear me NoA!

Hey guys, can we talk about this now:

Nintendo.svg

In other words, the stupid grey colour. I want red back.

No Wai they should go GREEN for 2013

tkscz

Been doing some research on that Cryengine tech demo I posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU4H5R2Tg8

A few gafers said the WiiU couldn't run that. I beg to differ, for you see that is the DX9 version of that demo. This is the DX11 version.
And I believe the WiiU could run this too, but at lower settings.

The person running the demo has the Tessellation on extreme, the resolution at 2560x1600, and probably all other settings at their highest. Now say they lowered the res to 720p, tessellation (because I've yet to hear that the WiiU isn't supporting it) at low or medium and everything else at medium levels. At that point I can see the WiiU running it. Though I do understand things are different when it comes to a console.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
A few people told publicly here their doubts about me and my news since my very first message. There were strong reactions, with some personal attacks, after my second leak about the memory (which pushed the until then guessed range of total RAM from 1GB-1,5GB to 1,5GB-2GB basically). I just wrote a big wall of text of justification, then tried to legitimate my info through lherre, and that's was it, even when i read some posters publicly stating their doubts, i'm fine with it, only if it's polite. It wasn't the case for 1 or 2 regulars with whom i talked in private to not pollute this thread. Anyone following these threads since the second, saw that the ratio between people questioning me & my info and my answers is like 20:1, because 3/4 of the time, i just ignore those 2 or 3 posts, or make joking answers, for example "i like your abstract anger" to kandinsky or another one to foxhimself, the other two vocals about me here.

And yes, i encouraged people to doubt my info, you can see it RIGHT from my very first post, with TONS of forewords warnings, caution notices, "second-hand knowledge", "dose of subjectivity, etc".
I recognise that this is true in some instances, but not all. Often you expressed annoyance, offence, or criticism towards people casting doubt on your information. Here is one such post. Here is another.
I haven't done much searching through the threads because honestly, they're way too big to do that. I'm just linking to instances I can recall.

I have a feeling they are going to show a glimpse of Zelda at the end of E3's Wii U presentation.

For the Wii U.

I know that kind of goes against common sense but I watched some youtube videos fo the Wii U half-reveal and the crowd went apeshit when the Zelda demo hit and they even ended that part of the presentation with the Wii U logo and the demo superimposed into the "U".

If the team has anything, I think we could see a few seconds of it but then again, it might be a while before they even decide on a style/concept.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hey guys, can we talk about this now:
In other words, the stupid grey colour. I want red back.

How about blue? Seems to be an intuitive choice for Wii U.

I have a feeling they are going to show a glimpse of Zelda at the end of E3's Wii U presentation.

For the Wii U.

My bets are still on 3DS first. It needs it much more. Plus if they can basically put a game the scale of Windwaker into the handheld, it would more than make up for any disappointment I had with the DS games.

Exactly. For the criticism you read around, it's pretty obvious none of them have even bothered to check how does the online system of a 3DS works, as only downsides are the lack of IM/voice chat (which I hope to get fixed soon) and lack of completely centralized online features that would make life for devs easier.

Like I've said before, the 3DS had nowhere to go but up, and it only came out last year. Just because everyone in this thread is immediately accepting of Nintendo's change in attitude towards this stuff, doesn't mean it has anywhere near sunk in for the general gaming population. Especially since Wii U isn't even out yet. I don't expect them to drop the ball in those areas a second time, but there's no reason not to be skeptical. I wouldn't pass off those things you listed as being minor in any way, also.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Battalion Wars multiplayer on TV with the tablet player acting as field general with overhead radar and intel and whatnot.

I actually had a cool thought about this when I was originally trying to imagine the tablet controller (back when it was still a rumor).

If it's ergonomically possible to use a wiimote plus in one hand and write on the tablet with your second hand (the tablet resting on a coffee table in front of the TV), you could do some really cool stuff with the interface for an RTS type game.
Imagine moving around on the map and different menus on the tablet while using the wiimote to physically point at units and targets, as in "you! go there!" or select multiple units with the wiimote by dragging a volume around them and then shifting the map on the tablet to the other side of the battlefield to issue a command to attack far away, without changing your default POV on the TV screen.

You could effectively monitor and command two fronts at any given moment - one for offense, another for defense.

For the Wii U.

I know that kind of goes against common sense but I watched some youtube videos fo the Wii U half-reveal and the crowd went apeshit when the Zelda demo hit and they even ended that part of the presentation with the Wii U logo and the demo superimposed into the "U".

If the team has anything, I think we could see a few seconds of it but then again, it might be a while before they even decide on a style/concept.

I don't see this happening, it's too early and they used up their "apeshit Zelda reveal" last year.

I wouldn't predict Nintendo showing things on the basis of how apeshit it makes the crowd. They will certainly show their best stuff, but since Twilight Princess they've kept game announcements and video from being shown too early. They learned their lesson about trying to sustain 2 years of hype.

My bets are still on 3DS first. It needs it much more. Plus if they can basically put a game the scale of Windwaker into the handheld, it would more than make up for any disappointment I had with the DS games.

Yes.

How about blue? Seems to be an intuitive choice for Wii U.

Well, that's a good bet to show the 3DS one which will be ultra-exciting all in its own but I am thinking they need something at the very end of the E3 presentation for the Wii U to really blow minds in a teasing way.

What game could be the best for leaving on a "HOLY SHIT" note????

I can't think of any bigger than Zelda in the situation.

Maybe Mario, possibly Smash Brothers.

I'd be fine though if they just have several in-depth looks at first party games like Pikmin though, that'd be good enough for me.

Azure J

Yeah Wii was a case I hope we, from a tech spec point, never see again.

With the specs in the first thread, without hearing from anyone at the time the only thing my guess was off on compared to the early, vague target specs was the L2 cache. Which taking a post from B3D along with lherre saying where I was off and surprisingly the "IGN source" before that saying one part was too high caused me to go with 3MB which was accurate. That's what prompted me to start posting some of "IGN source"'s comments over here. Once that part was fixed, I was able to learn more.

With the PS4 I think the specs are very solid, but some out there have stupidly high expectations and those are the ones that need to dial it down some.

I'm not bothered by any doubts. I'm not in the industry and the info I was able to get has been from fortunate timing.

Yeah my take is that dev/pub effort should be the only possible issue with ports

Not to discuss PS4 in a Wii U oriented thread, but seriously speaking, how can something like what's being rumored (basically a 4 core x86 3.2GHz, 2GB GDDR5 Unified RAM system packing a 7850-like[!!!] GPU) be considered underwhelming in any sense of the word? It's seriously one of the best looking ideas I've seen for a console that is both absurd powerful and cost effective with implications of a strong forward moving design. x86 alone means backwards compatibility forever going forward if Sony sticks to CPUs design on that style of instruction sets.

As for Wii U, I was right there with you making the same kinds of guesses once we got the preliminary information and just from doing moderate reading around the net (I'm nowhere near detective tier, just curious enthusiast tier) I feel very confident in stating that Wii U will sit in a very comfortable position next gen. The issues regarding third parties and games coming to the system won't be anything hardware related at the least. It'll be politics and perception that determines where things go beyond that.

Sadist

I'm expecting a big focus on Lego City Stories btw. It's an exclusive title, with a 3DS version next to it. Maybe a connection thing between the two games.

I'm also curious about how the press will react to Batman Arkham City. Last year they were impressed to hear the title would receive a Wii U version. I wonder if the excitement is still there.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
anyone else feel Nino Kuni from Level 5 will jump to WiiU for launch?

That would be awesome, but I seriously doubt it. Level 5 Isn't real big on porting titles over to other systems (that robot PSVita/3DS and Time Travelers being the exception).

Though I admit the book always being displayed on the U-pad screen would be a great addition to the title.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I recognise that this is true in some instances, but not all. Often you expressed annoyance, offence, or criticism towards people casting doubt on your information. Here is one such post. Here is another.
I haven't done much searching through the threads because honestly, they're way too big to do that. I'm just linking to instances I can recall.

Well, as i said, there is a ratio of doubts:my reactions. If it exists, it means i have reacted, i have the rights to justify myself isn't it ? And it was only a few answers, and because 1) Some people who already expressed their doubts 1 or 2 times, kept doing it, why pursuing this, it's just a pollution for the thread. 2) Others make generalization about my contributions, so sometimes, i'm defending it.

Now, if we could close this uninteresting conversation, thanks :)

I'm expecting a big focus on Lego City Stories btw. It's an exclusive title, with a 3DS version next to it. Maybe a connection thing between the two games.

I'm also curious about how the press will react to Batman Arkham City. Last year they were impressed to hear the title would receive a Wii U version. I wonder if the excitement is still there.

Is connectivity really going to be a selling point though???

You saw how weak it was with the Gamecube/GBA in support and concepts.

I am not sure that's the right way to go unless it's much more substantial in nature and fun.

Skiesofwonder

Yeah this is their big Third Party title. Free-roaming, appeals to everyone. I expect an on-stage demo.

HylianTom

Banned
This is going to be Nintendo's first HD Zelda title. You can bet that when Nintendo first reveals it, they're going to go all-out.

If they do decide to show this year (and I kinda doubt it), I might scream and get a bit teary-eyed. We've waited so long for this.. *sniff*

Nintendo always makes one huge mistake when they release a new game console, though that mistake doesn't necessarily result in failure. What I'm wondering is, which huge mistake are they going to make with the Wii-U?

They seem to be making up for their Wii mistakes of not targeting the core crowd enough and designing a system incapable of getting cheap ports from the other consoles of the generation, and they claim that they learned their lesson from the 3DS of not launching without AAA games, leaving it all up to third-parties at launch. So what huge mistake is Nintendo going to make?

If they do decide to show this year (and I kinda doubt it), I might scream and get a bit teary-eyed. We've waited so long for this.. *sniff*
They might show a teaser trailer for Zelda this year - they tend to show teasers at least a year in advance, and the launch of a new system is definitely a great time to show people the awesomeness that is on the way.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yes, please do. I'm not entirely sure what the whole story is but I don't see any issue that can't just be buried.

Nintendo always makes one huge mistake when they release a new game console, though that mistake doesn't necessarily result in failure. What I'm wondering is, which huge mistake are they going to make with the Wii-U?

I'm afraid that is a surprise for launch day. Possibly E3 if Nintendo announces something naively awful.

This is going to be Nintendo's first HD Zelda title. You can bet that when Nintendo first reveals it, they're going to go all-out.

they need to save Zelda for PS4/Durango launch right? It would be so evil of them to do a 30 second teaser trailer of it at this E3 but I would not put that pass them

They seem to be making up for their Wii mistakes of not targeting the core crowd enough and designing a system incapable of getting cheap ports from the other consoles of the generation, and they claim that they learned their lesson from the 3DS of not launching without AAA games, leaving it all up to third-parties at launch. So what huge mistake is Nintendo going to make?

Because of cell-phone interference, the Wii U Pad is only going to somewhat work when Miyamoto is so close to the system, he's basically humping it.

Sadist

Is connectivity really going to be a selling point though???

You saw how weak it was with the Gamecube/GBA in support and concepts.

I am not sure that's the right way to go unless it's much more substantial in nature and fun.
Well, that's the thing: I'm just speculating :p But personally I wouldn't be that strange for the 3DS and Wii U to exchange "data" between both versions of the game. It wouldn't be a selling point, but more of a novelty.

I mean, Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS will share some connectivity features according to Sakurai. It doesn't seem weird to do the same for LCS.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

They'll definitely make a big deal about Lego City Stories. I mean, they're publishing it. I'd say it's their big play to grab the western kids demographic at launch.
As for Arkham, I think Nintendo should not show off ports of games already available on other platforms outside of a few seconds in a montage. It doesn't paint a good picture of support for the system if they make a big deal out of reheated PS360 leftovers. The third party showing at the conference should focus on exclusives like Killer Freaks and upcoming games that will be available on Wii U from day one.

HylianTom

Banned
they need to save Zelda for PS4/Durango launch right? It would be so evil of them to do a 30 second teaser trailer of it at this E3 but I would not put that pass them
That's true, completely forgot about this!

I would guess that Nintendo could bring both Zelda and 3D Mario to their next E3 as a counter to MS and Sony's console reveals. If there are titles that could take a little bit of attention away, it would be those two.. although I think I'd like to see their game releases spaced-out well.

(and BTW - I would LOVE Drinky status. I've always thought it would only be fair to have some sort of counter-balance to him, like the upside and the downside of the Schwartz.)

Sadist

As for Arkham, I think Nintendo should not show off ports of games already available on other platforms outside of a few seconds in a montage. It doesn't paint a good picture of support for the system if they make a big deal out of reheated PS360 leftovers. The third party showing at the conference should focus on exclusives like Killer Freaks and upcoming games that will be available on Wii U from day one.
I agree, but I'm kind of excited about the game. I held off buying the PC version and hearing Rein(?) telling the press that Arkham City plays great on Wii U, makes me wonder if anyone is still interested in the game.

I wonder which "exclusive" games they have to show off. LCS, Killer Freaks seem likely (allthough I couldn't care less about the latter) but I don't see Dragonquest X making an appearance for example.

Skiesofwonder

Well, as i said, there is a ratio of doubts:my reactions. If it exists, it means i have reacted, i have the rights to justify myself isn't it ? And it was only a few answers, and because 1) Some people who already expressed their doubts 1 or 2 times, kept doing it, why pursuing this, it's just a pollution for the thread. 2) Others make generalization about my contributions, so sometimes, i'm defending it.

Now, if we could close this uninteresting conversation, thanks :)

:lol
If you want to stop talking about something, then don't reply. Krev has every right to talk about whatever he wants, and he doesn't need to be told when to close a conversation. Or maybe you just have to have the last word.....

On Topic:

Am I the only one that thinks a built in Animal Crossing (similar to Home) would be fricken awesome? The main menu of the U-Pad could be shelves in your room (which the system would automatically start at when booted up) and with a swipe of the screen could be zoomed out from, instantly putting you in your Animal Crossing world. All accounts on your system would live in your village, and everyone on your friend's list has their own village that could be visited whenever you want. It also could connect with the 3DS version where everyone you streetpass could have their villages mapped out on a world map and you can visit with an accepted request or invitation (similar to how meeting strangers on the Internet would work). You also could carry over items, designs, and villagers from your 3DS version to the Wii-U, and vice-versa. Maybe even have the ability to transfer your town to each device and have the ability to play around in your Wii-U town on the go.

Obviously it won't happen, but it would be awesome IMO...

I don't know, someone said the game makes really cool use of the controller so possibly spend a few minutes showing that in some way but I get the point of spending too much time on games available elsewhere.

Not to discuss PS4 in a Wii U oriented thread, but seriously speaking, how can something like what's being rumored (basically a 4 core x86 3.2GHz, 2GB GDDR5 Unified RAM system packing a 7850-like[!!!] GPU) be considered underwhelming in any sense of the word? It's seriously one of the best looking ideas I've seen for a console that is both absurd powerful and cost effective with implications of a strong forward moving design. x86 alone means backwards compatibility forever going forward if Sony sticks to CPUs design on that style of instruction sets.

As for Wii U, I was right there with you making the same kinds of guesses once we got the preliminary information and just from doing moderate reading around the net (I'm nowhere near detective tier, just curious enthusiast tier) I feel very confident in stating that Wii U will sit in a very comfortable position next gen. The issues regarding third parties and games coming to the system won't be anything hardware related at the least. It'll be politics and perception that determines where things go beyond that.

When you have people expecting 6-8GB of memory and a Tahiti-level of GPU, it's pretty easy. When I first saw them it was almost exactly like I expected. Real good power that shouldn't be too expensive at the same time. Though in my mind that's what I envisioned for MS at the time.

And I agree with the second paragraph. The hardware excuse won't be anywhere near as valid.

Crazy Theories of the Day (officially just switched local time)

-e3 will see the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Time Splitters 4 for Wii U, but no footage will be shown.
-Pokemon Battle Sim, Lego City Stories and Rayman won't be the only launch titles to have NFC figurine use (Killer Freaks characters unlocked that way)
-Retro is making a Rogue Squadron-esque game based on the Star Fox/F-Zero universe.
- EAD Tokyo has a new non-platforming IP.
- NST has revived Project H.A.M.M.E.R and made it actually fun.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Am I the only one that thinks a built in Animal Crossing (similar to Home) would be fricken awesome? The main menu of the U-Pad could be shelves in your room (which the system would automatically start at when booted up) which with a swipe of the screen could be zoomed out from, instantly putting you in your Animal Crossing world. All accounts on your system would live in your village, and everyone on your friend's list has their own village that could be visited whenever you want. It also could connect with the 3DS version where everyone you streetpass could have their villages mapped out on a world map and you can visit with an accepted request or invitation (similar to how meeting strangers on the Internet would work).

OS Skins as a general idea would be super appealing to me.

They'll definitely make a big deal about Lego City Stories. I mean, they're publishing it. I'd say it's their big play to grab the western kids demographic at launch.

Pass on the montage. We saw what happened last year with that.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What I find disturbing is that so many gaffers feel that this gen was all roses and gumdrops.

People are dumb.

people really feel that way? people that aren't new to gaming??
this gen was a complete clusterf*ck, a circus of the absurd, FUBAR written all over it!
SO many stupid moves it boggles the mind!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Pass on the montage. We saw what happened last year with that.
I was thinking more along the lines of this.
Am I the only one that thinks a built in Animal Crossing (similar to Home) would be fricken awesome? The main menu of the U-Pad could be shelves in your room (which the system would automatically start at when booted up) and with a swipe of the screen could be zoomed out from, instantly putting you in your Animal Crossing world. All accounts on your system would live in your village, and everyone on your friend's list has their own village that could be visited whenever you want. It also could connect with the 3DS version where everyone you streetpass could have their villages mapped out on a world map and you can visit with an accepted request or invitation (similar to how meeting strangers on the Internet would work). You also could carry over items, designs, and villagers from your 3DS version to the Wii-U, and vice-versa. Maybe even have the ability to transfer your town to each device and have the ability to play around in your Wii-U town on the go.

It sounds awesome and would be a very big draw for the system and its online platform, but would you enjoy Animal Crossing as much if all the characters were Miis?
I don't know, someone said the game makes really cool use of the controller so possibly spend a few minutes showing that in some way but I get the point of spending too much time on games available elsewhere.
I'm hoping they have games to show that make really cool use of the controller and haven't already sold millions of units across three other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom