• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mitt Romney bullied kid for looking "gay" back in school

Status
Not open for further replies.
I neither like dems or repubs but count this another reason why I no way in hell would vote for romney.

If it wasnt already obvious obama has 2012 on lock.

edit: though tbf it was in hs. lotta ppl change. romney is 65.

Slavik81

Also, I hate how queer politics are being used by the democrats in lieu of any economic argument. If the Democrats were attacking Romney for being a nihilistic hedge fund manager who made his living by "trimming the fat" (i.e. putting workers out of a job), I'd be all for it.
At least this has some basis in reality. I'd be concerned if the Democrats took a stance that venture capitalists are inherently evil.

Man with a plan.

It's all part of the plan

barack-obama-joker.jpg

charsace

People will say he was just a kid, but at the same time we now know that he has this sort of thing in him. I don't see how anyone could trust a guy like that to play a role in running a nation.

smurfx

get some go again
Also, I hate how queer politics are being used by the democrats in lieu of any economic argument. If the Democrats were attacking Romney for being a nihilistic hedge fund manager who made his living by "trimming the fat" (i.e. putting workers out of a job), I'd be all for it.
there is still plenty of time to start attacking him on other things. this is just the start.

Kosmo

Banned
This thread is hilarious. Digging back literally 50 years into Romney's life with an ill-researched article to try and pin him as a "bully." Yet you ask to see Obama's college papers and records and it's "Whoa, whoa, WTF do you give a shit about that for?"

theBishop

Banned
At least this has some basis in reality. I'd be concerned if the Democrats took a stance that venture capitalists are inherently evil.

Capitalism needs a financial sector to keep the surplus capital flowing to growth-bearing investments. We get financial crisis when surplus capital stops flowing. I'll go with you that far. What the modern hedge fund does is pretty far removed from that.

They have all kinds of crazy ways to rig the game: buying up shitty investments, selling them to some sucker, and then shorting the investment based on insider information. If what they do isn't morally 'evil', it's at the very least destructive. If we're going to have this class of people, they need to be heavily regulated. The trouble is the people who are in a position to know enough about investment banks to regulate them effectively are employees of investment banks.

This thread is hilarious. Digging back literally 50 years into Romney's life with an ill-researched article to try and pin him as a "bully." Yet you ask to see Obama's college papers and records and it's "Whoa, whoa, WTF do you give a shit about that for?"

Yeah. This is the same.

At least Obama showed great remorse for forging his birth certificate. Excuse me, "records."

DominoKid

Man I really have to WTF at some of you people... You did shit in high school that's apparently on par or worse than this that you don't remember at all 3 years later? Let me be the first to say that I hope you don't run for any sort of office, then....

You're reaching here w/ the skeletons thing.
I just meant things that I wouldn't be proud that other people knew I did because that isn't what they expect from me.

I couldn't even tell you for sure which classes I took in high school and they lasted an entire year. So it's not hard for me to believe that random incidents could get lost to memory. Not all moments hold the same amount of meaning to everybody. There's been plenty of times where friends have brought up "Do you remember _______" and I've been absolutely lost.

Ex: My friends remember a time in sophomore year (5 or 6 years ago) when I shoved a kid's head in a locker during an argument after gym class. It's absolutely lost on me, but apparently it happened.
I'd be a little put off if, in the future, someone took that moment and extrapolated it to say that I have rage issues or something like that.

Who knows if Romney really doesn't remember what he did? I'm just saying I can understand if he truly doesn't.
I think judging somebody for not remembering something is grasping at straws.

Jonm1010

Banned

Don't even start. Don't even fucking start!

If you can't see how dissimilar these two things are you need to quickly pick your key board up, hold it with both hands, and begin to repeatedly bang it against your head until the sense gets knocked back into it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not saying it should brand you as a bad person for life. First off, my statement could be taken to mean I hope you don't run for office... for your own sake (if you have that much skeletons). Second, I know people can change. I know people can be brats or idiots when they're young and turn out just fine. That's awesome. I'd have a ton of respect for that. But to me forgetting the bad things you've done completely after only 3 years doesn't really seem to equate to learning from past mistakes and turning things around. If you did some terrible things and admit they're terrible or whatever, then fine. If you did them and forgot them completely? That's just a bit telling to me.

It is just telling, though. Again, I'm not going to judge you as a bad person or anything until demonstrated otherwise. I'd rather take into account other things. But if you are a bad person and you do those things and forget about them, then yeah I'll judge and say you haven't learned.
EDIT: nevermind, answered for himself

You're reaching here w/ the skeletons thing.
I just meant things that I wouldn't be proud that other people knew I did because that isn't what they expect from me.

I couldn't even tell you for sure which classes I took in high school and they lasted an entire year. So it's not hard for me to believe that random incidents could get lost to memory. Not all moments hold the same amount of meaning to everybody. There's been plenty of times where friends have brought up "Do you remember _______" and I've been absolutely lost.

Ex: My friends remember a time in sophomore year when I shoved a kid's head in a locker during an argument after gym class. It's absolutely lost on me, but apparently it happened.
I'd be a little put off if, in the future, someone took that moment and extrapolated it to say that I have rage issues or something like that.

Who knows if Romney really doesn't remember what he did? I'm just saying I can understand if he truly doesn't.
I think judging somebody for not remembering something is grasping at straws.

I'll agree to this as well. Im only 24 and years earlier my HS buddies would always talk about things we did and if I remembered it. There was a lot of times where I had no idea what they were talking about and im the one who did "it".

Compound that with the fact he is 65 years old (HS was 47+ years ago for him more than most people on this board have been alive) and I can see how someone can completely forget an incident.

are you seriously doing this? you could attack the guy for any number of reasons, and this is the one you won't let go?

Am I seriously attacking him for showing no remorse in a thread which is about that exact topic? Yes, I am.

edit: Or do you mean am I seriously attacking Kosmo for trying to compare two situations which are, in fact, incomparable? Yes, I am.

I find the defense in here rather suspect. If you bullied someone to that extent and honestly don't remember I have to wonder what else you were doing in high school.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I literally just heard Rush Limbaugh make the same point.
Yeah, consider the source.

Well, I'm not giving this "bully" shit much thought because
1) I wasn't voting for the mofo in the first place
2) I've got my own sins (not queer bashing... let's just say it's better my sister doesn't know why I always hung around her friends, and why I was really happy when her best friend's husband bought his wife new boobs)

but, the difference between "Mitt was a bully" and "Obama is a secret Kenyan" is that one of these has a basis in reality.

Kosmo

Banned
but, the difference between "Mitt was a bully" and "Obama is a secret Kenyan" is that one of these has a basis in reality.

True, except I'm talking college records/thesis, not birth certificates. Not sure why the latter keeps getting brought up.

RDreamer

Wow, and I thought I had a bad memory. I really have never had an instance of "Do you remember when we did this terrible thing to this person?" and I didn't remember it. Then again, I'm the sort of person that feels absolutely awful if I even put someone off a little bit with words. There's no way in hell I'd forget a confrontation or something equivalent to what Romney apparently did here. To me it just seems like you must have been doing a large amount of bad things to almost everyone that things blurred together.

Also, I'm one of the ones that thought this attack on Romney was pretty stupid anyway. Dredging up things from high school like that is just kind of silly, as he could be (and likely is) quite a different person. From the very get go I thought the article was at least a little suspect, especially in timing, and I questioned the wording. My real problem with the whole situation has been his reaction. If he came out and said "Yeah, I did some bad things as a kid, and I am truly sorry for that. I'm a changed man now." If he truly didn't remember it, then just say "I don't remember this specific incident, and I feel terrible about that. I also feel awful that I was never able to make amends with this person, since I'm sure it must have weighed heavily on him. Nevertheless, I am a changed man, now, and I know the dangers of bullying and the problems kids go through." Maybe he could throw in a thing about working with groups that help these sorts of kids as best he can. Something like that and I would have had more respect for the guy than I did before the incident even came out.

theBishop

Banned
True, except I'm talking college records/thesis, not birth certificates. Not sure why the latter keeps getting brought up.

Supposing Obama wrote a stirring treatise on Marx's materialist construction of history in Junior year. What's the allegation?

Clevinger

When is Romney going to release his 10 years of tax returns like his dad did? What's he hiding in there? Did I do the "bring up a totally unrelated thing as an equivalence" thing right, Kosmo?

I find the defense in here rather suspect. If you bullied someone to that extent and honestly don't remember I have to wonder what else you were doing in high school.

He is 65 years old. I won't vote for the guy but giving it a little bit more thought I can't be outraged about it. If the repubs dug something up (whether true or not) about any democratic politician that was dated over 50+ years Im sure most if not all democrats would dismiss it simply because it was so long ago its almost irrelevant.

Kosmo

Banned
Supposing Obama wrote a stirring treatise on Marx's materialist construction of history in Junior year. What's the allegation?

...that maybe here still thinks that way (isn't that the allegation against Romney?)

He is 65 years old. I won't vote for the guy but giving it a little bit more thought I can't be outraged about it. If the repubs dug something up (whether true or not) about any democratic politician that was dated over 50+ years Im sure most if not all democrats would dismiss it simply because it was so long ago its almost irrelevant.

And this is my point. The same people dismissing Romney's excuse are the same one's that buy Obama's claims that Bill Ayers was "just some guy in the neighborhood" as genuine.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Mitt Romney is a loser, that's all he'll ever be.

Would you want to hire someone that you knew was a merciless bully and who also fucked with a blind teacher by running them into walls? How about if they had a history of animal abuse for which they were completely remorseless? This sort of person isn't really fit to be working with any people or living things at all, let alone running a country.

Mondriaan

Gotta wonder if this is the fun loving Romney that his wife was telling us that we knew nothing about.

My mom is 65. Age shit is a joke. People know and remember whether they were a bullying schmuck in highschool or not.

Trigger

If you're a changed person you admit to this shit and talk about why you're not the same person. But he is the same person.

That's the real troubling thing here. I know gays aren't his primary audience, but Romney could take the time to apologize. It would give him a chance to look kind and empathetic.

DominoKid

The more telling thing is how barely anybody is disputing whether they think it happened. We believe it very well could have.

I wouldn't put it past him, but there's a lot I wouldn't put past high school kids.

Whether it actually happened isn't really the issue though. It's just the fact that people think he's lying when he says he doesnt remember it and are using it to say that it has bigger implications on his character.

Cheebo

Banned

And what in Obama's colelge thesis is at the same level of cruelity as battery & bulling a gay student?

His heavy drug use?

But don't get me wrong, I think bringing up the past from anyone's youth is empty and cheap.

So if we can talk about Obama's "heavy drug use" as a teenager and use it to undermine his candidacy - which happened already - then why is it wrong/empty/cheap to go at Mitt Romney for his bigotry as a teenager?

Or do we agree that going after Obama for things like that is wrong/empty/cheap too?

Carnby

So if we can talk about Obama's "heavy drug use" as a teenager and use it to undermine his candidacy - which happened already - then why is it wrong/empty/cheap to go at Mitt Romney for his bigotry as a teenager?

Or do we agree that going after Obama for things like that is wrong/empty/cheap too?

The part where I said,

I think bringing up the past from anyone's youth is empty and cheap.

might be your first clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom