• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Been watching sfdebris reviews, and his "Evil Janeway" is hilarious. I also like the "U.S.S. Ben Sisko's Mother Fuckin Pimp Hand".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If someone in a shuttle transports a person, then the shuttle gets transported, what happens to the person transported?

TNG seems to suggest transporter accidents are quite rare; DS9 suggests that they're not totally rare (there's an episode where someone, O'Brien maybe, discusses not-rare "transporter burns" caused from minor transport issues). DS9 claims you can transport some of someone and not the rest because there's an episode where they transport a half-dozen... Cardassians? and disarm them during transport. Transporter rules are as ambiguous as replicator rules; replicators can replicate anything, except when they can't, and they do a perfect job, except when they don't... or even currency; the federation doesn't need currency, except when they do. Phasers are the same way too. Phasers have an unlimited gradient of settings, except when they need to be set wrong. Jem'Hadar guns have only one setting--kill--except when they don't. Shields hold under attack, except when they don't.

So I'm guessing that what happens when a shuttle gets transported (which it can be, unless it can't) with a person in it is that the person is also transported (unless they're not).

Stumpokapow said:
So I'm guessing that what happens when a shuttle gets transported (which it can be, unless it can't) with a person in it is that the person is also transported (unless they're not).
I think he means beyond a person just using the shuttle as transportation; it's really a question of what if you use a transporter on a transporter that's being used? I'm guessing that if the person being transported was in the middle of dematerialization or materialization, any sort of interruption would be a Bad Thing. If they were just in Transporter 1's buffer, though, I suppose Transporter 2 could pluck it all up without damage.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think he means beyond a person just using the shuttle as transportation; it's really a question of what if you use a transporter on a transporter that's being used? I'm guessing that if the person being transported was in the middle of dematerialization or materialization, any sort of interruption would be a Bad Thing. If they were just in Transporter 1's buffer, though, I suppose Transporter 2 could pluck it all up without damage.

Seems like it'd be a fairly good weapon to transport some hostile force against his will and then just discard the buffer, hahaha. I mean, I know the Federation is anti-murder, but it really surprised me that they didn't try to do that ever.

Or better yet, use transporter buffers as a jail; instead of worrying about people being held in a brig behind a force field and maybe they escape or whatever like those Klingons in that one TNG episode, transport your prisoners and then just store their buffer for a while.

Seems like it'd be a fairly good weapon to transport some hostile force against his will and then just discard the buffer, hahaha. I mean, I know the Federation is anti-murder, but it really surprised me that they didn't try to do that ever.

Or better yet, use transporter buffers as a jail; instead of worrying about people being held in a brig behind a force field and maybe they escape or whatever like those Klingons in that one TNG episode, transport your prisoners and then just store their buffer for a while.
How often did a buffer come up, anyway? I can only think of one instance where somebody was stored as data inside a transporter for an extended period of time, and that was Scotty in "Relics". (Maybe those people stuck in that sort of "flux" state in the episode where Barclay develops a fear of teleporters, I dunno.)

Admittedly I've seen exactly none of DS9, Voyager et al, so.

At first I thought you meant as a prison replacement, where it wouldn't be much of a punishment. But just holding somebody out of the way for a few hours or days or whatever, maybe.

maharg

idspispopd
At first I thought you meant as a prison replacement, where it wouldn't be much of a punishment. But just holding somebody out of the way for a few hours or days or whatever, maybe.

I'm pretty sure in the ST universe the idea of jail as punishment wouldn't be looked on kindly to begin with. At least Roddenberry would have had a fit over it, I'm sure.

Yeah yeah Tom Paris, Voyager, DS9, post-Gene ST universe, etc etc.

I learned today that J.Frakes pitched a new Trek TV series to CBS not so long ago. He didn't go into details, but I presume it would have been Riker on the Titan. They shot it down and apparently have no interest in producing a series right now.

Which I think is a shame as I'd love a new Trek series. There is no big space set show at the moment AFAIK, and the TNG crew still haven't had a proper goodbye :/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I learned today that J.Frakes pitched a new Trek TV series to CBS not so long ago. He didn't go into details, but I presume it would have been Riker on the Titan. They shot it down and apparently have no interest in producing a series right now.

Which I think is a shame as I'd love a new Trek series. There is no big space set show at the moment AFAIK, and the TNG crew still haven't had a proper goodbye :/

Ugh, Frakes is too fat and old looking to be a captain now. After that Enterprise Episode, I just can't see him as a Captain.

Tess3ract

Banned

That's actually what ended up happening.

Cheerilee

http://www.ugo.com/tv/jonathan-frakes-bar-karma-interview

Voila source!

He doesn't say what the series would have been about, but I doubt he could have resisted inserting himself somewhere in it.

Jonathan Frakes said:
I had a Star Trek that I developed for TV, and we were told in no uncertain terms that they said no to a Bryan Singer television Star Trek, they said no to a William Shatner television Star Trek. They feel at CBS Paramount that they don’t want to make the same mistake that’s been made before, which was watering down the brand by having a TV show and a movie.

[snip]

So I think what they’ve done by taking time off before the Abrams Star Trek, and they're doing it again because they haven’t even begun to shoot the second one, is a much smarter business plan. Much to my chagrin! Not that I wouldn’t love the Titan, or the Rikers in Space, or any of those shows on the air.
The Rikers in Space are him and Deanna, and the Titan is their ship. It's pretty safe to guess that's what he pitched.

He's a capable director and I'd trust him as producer on a new trek series, but he probably figured his show would need some kind of a hook, so he volunteered himself and Marina Sirtis as regular special guest stars. It's an easy benefit he can just throw in.

Ugh, Frakes is too fat and old looking to be a captain now. After that Enterprise Episode, I just can't see him as a Captain.
He was too old (in Enterprise) to be playing the Riker from the Pegasus episode (especially dealing with the ghosts of his days as a cadet), but I'd be interested in seeing Frakes play an older Captain Riker.

What scares me was re-watching the Plinkett review of Nemesis recently, and that scene at the end where they have the First Officer leave the bridge during a battle because there's one intruder on board, and instead of sending a team of security officers, they send Riker off to get into a hand-to-hand fight with him, apparently because Frakes hadn't had enough screen time.

I would hope that with a Titan TV series, they'd have the crew looking for ways to not bother the Captain with little details, instead of trying to work him into everything, because as Captain, he'd have plenty of chances for good screen time.

"Lieutenant, we've got space bugs on the hull! Should we tell the Captain?"
"Do you want to talk to the Captain about space bugs while he's eating dinner? His telepath probably knows already with all that shouting your brain is doing. That counts as notification. Grab a dozen phaser rifles and meet us by airlock three. Ensign, you're with me!"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's probably like his novels. :p

Of course, when they actually went to Shatner to try to get him on Enterprise, he diva'ed out for more money. It was just before his strange "rise" back into public consciousness too (remember that he did "Free Enterprise" when his career was mostly dead, and that was just a poor man's version of an Edgar Wright film).

No way would he be cast in it. He's like 20 years older than Stewart was when they started TNG. Plus hes fat and there are no fat people in star trek!
scotty-02.gif

I too wouldn't assume a Frakes pitch would necessarily be centered around Riker, though. He's primarily a TV director now anyway. Titan was specifically mentioned in the interview, but to mention some original creation nobody ever heard of wouldn't read as well. "Not that I wouldn't love to see the Yorkshire or Captain Roger Thompson on screen!"

TheFatOne

So GAF I finished the original, TNG, and DS9. Should I watch Voyager? I keep reading so many bad things about it, and I'm not sure if it's worth my time.

So GAF I finished the original, TNG, and DS9. Should I watch Voyager? I keep reading so many bad things about it, and I'm not sure if it's worth my time.

Yes. There are a couple of very good episodes there that make it all worth watching. Message in a Bottle and Timeless for example, and a bunch of Holodoc episodes like Latent Image, that are pretty good. But don't expect Borg and Q episodes to be very good, Voyager's writers couldn't handle either of them very well.

Get Netflix. Watch first episode and see if you like it. Then do the same thing for the next episode. Worst case you're out 10 bucks, best case you're out 10 bucks and have 140 episodes to browse.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
All Trek is worth watching, even when it's not that good. It should all be experienced at least once.

You're not a Trek fan until you've experienced "Threshold".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Star Trek shows are also up for free streaming for Amazon Prime customers if you have that service.

spidye

Threshold isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

threshold is one of the worst things that happened in a tv show. that's not hyperbole. I really mean it.
I still can't believe that there was no one from the cast or crew who stood up against that bullshit.

Voyager was really my fav time pass show, much more than DS9, it had simple storylines which were enjoyable on the same level as STO

For a moment, I thought you meant to type "STD" there. It would have made me agree with more of your post.

Seriously, what's "STO"? Same thing as "TOS"?

maharg

idspispopd
Yes. There are a couple of very good episodes there that make it all worth watching. Message in a Bottle and Timeless for example, and a bunch of Holodoc episodes like Latent Image, that are pretty good. But don't expect Borg and Q episodes to be very good, Voyager's writers couldn't handle either of them very well.

Just watch the few good ones. The whole series isn't worth it just for those. There's so much forgettable or worse crud in there and it's extremely episodic.

Just watch the few good ones. The whole series isn't worth it just for those. There's so much forgettable or worse crud in there and it's extremely episodic.

The good ones don't feel as good if you don't know the characters. And especially so if you haven't watched all that crud to get to the good parts.

Top Bottom