• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i found a bunch of concept art for the SMB movie, i want to share a couple
ew8ak.jpg

ISvfs.png

nintendo beat voldemort by like 100 years

image.php

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Funny story he was barred from an E3 Nintendo conference because of his new employee.

Nintendo probably did this in order the prevent Mr. Casasslassamina(sp?) from chatting it up with his former contacts within NOA at after parties and what not. MattIGN had really good contacts in Nintendo and 3rd parties. Since he left IGN, getting early and unofficial word about Nintendo games has pretty much become a fairy tale.

MisterHero

Reggie doesn't stand a chance against the Vin Diesel of turtle-dragon hybrids

dragons? they look like dinosaurs lol
err yes, that's videogame koopa

switching back to movie mode

Reggie doesn't stand a chance against the Vin Diesel of turtle-dragon hybrids that are also dinosaurs

It's funny, even as a kid I had zero desire to see the SMB live action movie. It just looked stupid and came off as "Studio suit: We could make something more like the games but....Jurassic Park is gonna be out that summer, we gotta compete, so let's make the enemies into dinosaur people!!! Yeah, that's the ticket!" Still haven't seen it to this day. All I know is human Koopa hybrids are creepy and unappealing (see nightmare fuel concept art) and they used a Bobomb to help market Reebok. lol?

Terrell

It's funny, even as a kid I had zero desire to see the SMB live action movie. It just looked stupid and came off as "Studio suit: We could make something more like the games but....Jurassic Park is gonna be out that summer, we gotta compete, so let's make the enemies into dinosaur people!!! Yeah, that's the ticket!" Still haven't seen it to this day. All I know is human Koopa hybrids are creepy and unappealing (see nightmare fuel concept art) and they used a Bobomb to help market Reebok. lol?

Don't buy the love it's getting in this thread. It was AWFUL. GI Joe is how you make a "so bad it's good" movie. This was just repulsive in every possible way.

I decided it'd be fun to post the following typical mature Youtube comments on this young gentleman's impeccable video commentary:

Hey, you know what REALLY sucks? Drugs! You sound like you're stoned. btw, it's gonna be hilarious in a few years when NextBox and PS4 release their own tablet style controllers. lol

btw, I'd love to see PS3 and 360 pads that let you hold the sticks and buttons at the same time. Wouldn't that be amazing?!

gabbo.gif

Don't buy the love it's getting in this thread. It was AWFUL. GI Joe is how you make a "so bad it's good" movie. This was just repulsive in every possible way.

So it doesn't even rate enough to be the Grease of video game movies? Sad.

Reminds me, summer of '93 was amazing for me as a teenager, gamer, dinosaur buff and young movie fan. That May, me and my brother bought a new TG-16 for only $50 (at Waldensoftware who was clearing them out, the next summer we were able to pick up a new Turbo Duo with all 5 or so pack in games for only $99), came with Keith Courage and Ordyne then we bought a copy of Air Zonk a month later (still some of the best parallax effects ever). My NES didn't get play for a long time after that. Then Jurassic Park blew my mind. Still can't believe how great the CGI in that movie still looks, it's better and more believable than the CGI in most other modern flicks 19 years later!

Effect

So Lugi is his brother and his son?

Older brother and guardian (or was when they were younger) I believe. I'm not saying I love the film or even that it's good. I can just enjoy it and don't think it deserves the hate it's gotten over the years.

Someone at E3 needs to ask if they have begun work on their next console......
That's not really how Nintendo works. They don't work on one console, then the next, then the next. They have multiple R&D teams constantly experimenting with various technologies. Then when it comes time to design the next console, they pick and choose from the best of the different R&D projects. This is how the 3DS came to be, they've been playing with 3D screens for a long time, they even slapped a 3D screen onto the Gamecube at one point and hacked Luigi's Mansion to be in 3D. The Wii Remote was around before the Gamecube as well, but they couldn't put it into a game console until the technology got better (there was horrible latency in the super-expensive accelerometers of the early 2000's).

So yes, technically Nintendo is working on their next console, but it's highly doubtful anybody knows anything about what will be in it.

That's not really how Nintendo works. They don't work on one console, then the next, then the next. They have multiple R&D teams constantly experimenting with various technologies. Then when it comes time to design the next console, they pick and choose from the best of the different R&D projects. This is how the 3DS came to be, they've been playing with 3D screens for a long time, they even slapped a 3D screen onto the Gamecube at one point and hacked Luigi's Mansion to be in 3D. The Wii Remote was around before the Gamecube as well, but they couldn't put it into a game console until the technology got better (there was horrible latency in the super-expensive accelerometers of the early 2000's).

So yes, technically Nintendo is working on their next console, but it's highly doubtful anybody knows anything about what will be in it.

Irony man, Irony....

O_O Whaaa?? On the console itself as an attachment or...? I need to see/read more about this.

burst

Reminds me, summer of '93 was amazing for me as a teenager, gamer, dinosaur buff and young movie fan. That May, me and my brother bought a new TG-16 for only $50 (at Waldensoftware who was clearing them out, the next summer we were able to pick up a new Turbo Duo with all 5 or so pack in games for only $99), came with Keith Courage and Ordyne then we bought a copy of Air Zonk a month later (still some of the best parallax effects ever). My NES didn't get play for a long time after that. Then Jurassic Park blew my mind. Still can't believe how great the CGI in that movie still looks, it's better and more believable than the CGI in most other modern flicks 19 years later!

I also thought the CGI in jurassic park had aged very well, however upon further googling i found that a lot of what aged well, was in fact animatronics.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7193/6947974407_089f5dd9b6.jpg

Oddduck

See I think it's wrong to expect people to buy certain games just because. People buy what they like or feel interested in. It's up to publishers to actively try to sell their games to consumers. That's what gamers are and I think they have a real problem with doing that when it comes to Nintendo consoles. They have no problem doing that for games that only appear on Xbox 360 and PS3. What is it about Nintendo console owners (that may also have those other systems but they could be secondary) that they think they don't have to actively try to sell their product to them? Why should Nintendo system owners be expected to just buy something and not have it sold to them and then be held at fault when they buy the games (Nintendo games) that are?

I really don't understand this. I already know what I like. I'm going to be open to new games coming out but with a budget I will pick my games carefully. What interest me mores gets bought. As a Nintendo fan the games from them a built in advantage but that doesn't mean others can't win out but I will have to be sold on those games for that to happen.

Here's my problem with this.

People can't beg for ports of games if they don't plan to buy them. They can't just say "I wouldn't buy it but I want this 3rd party game on the system just to boost Wii U's reputation".

There's a lot of port begging for games that they aren't actually going to buy for Wii U.

People were port begging for Tomb Raider on Wii U but how many people here really plan to buy Tomb Raider on Wii U? Eidos is smart because they know most Nintendo fans aren't into Tomb Raider.

Terrell

Here's my problem with this.

People can't beg for ports of games if they don't plan to buy them. They can't just say "I wouldn't buy it but I want this 3rd party game on the system just to boost Wii U's reputation".

There's a lot of port begging for games that they aren't actually going to buy for Wii U.

People were port begging for Tomb Raider on Wii U but how many people here really plan to buy Tomb Raider on Wii U? Eidos is smart because they know Nintendo fans aren't into Tomb Raider.

What the fuck is the point of begging for ports of shit you don't care about? My mind is actually BAFFLED by how stupid that is.

Deguello

I think the turning point of IGN was that horrible editorial from 2009 that essentially lambasted their readers for making New Super Mario Bros. Wii a smashing success and ignoring 'Splosion Man. That's what readers want to see when they login to their news site, right? "Top Story: You Suck." It's one thing to go after a company that people enjoy the products of. Most aren't willing to jump in front of a bullet for them, although they might heavily question why you are firing at them so intently. But when the gun is turned towards the readers, most would bail out and seek news elsewhere. Nobody wants to be called an asshole right when they enter the door.

It's no secret that the rise of Nintendo fan blogs like that site comes directly as a result of disillusionment from the big players, IGN for their seeming unwillingness to do their jobs and gamespot for their elitist, nitpicky scoring system and their penchant for accepting bribes for reviews as was the case in the Kane and Lynch fiasco, calling into question whether they were harshly critical because they felt that way or because the check didn't clear. According to Alexa, a lot of the big media sites have been losing traffic since early 2010, and I'd say it's a pretty reasonable conclusion that it's because they ran off 90 million potential readers.

Now some of these fanblogs do have an echo chamber effect where criticisms of Nintendo, even when valid, are viewed with skepticism. But that's a direct reaction to how the big sites behaved when they made clear that they just didn't seem interested in Nintendo and would rather do something else. IF you had to pick between a brown-nosing yes-man or a nitpicking jerk who slammed you for every move, right or wrong, which would you choose?

Oddduck

What the fuck is the point of begging for ports of shit you don't care about?

The one thing I notice on gaming forums is I'll see this quote:

"I have no interest in (insert game title here) but I'm glad the system is getting more support."

I saw this quote mentioned a lot whenever Grand Theft Auto 5 was mentioned as a possible title for Wii U on a lot of Nintendo forums.

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system? I see this quote every day, and I just don't like it.

antonz

What the fuck is the point of begging for ports of shit you don't care about? My mind is actually BAFFLED by how stupid that is.

there is just alot people have to change. There was someone who said even though they are buying the Wii U day one they will buy Assassins Creed 3 for instance for the 360 since they played the others on it.

That hurts any long term support of the Wii U

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The one thing I notice on gaming forums is I'll see this quote:

"I have no interest in (insert game title here) but I'm glad the system is getting more support."

I saw this quote mentioned a lot whenever Grand Theft Auto 5 was mentioned as a possible title for Wii U on a lot of Nintendo forums.

What's the point about being glad for more support if Nintendo fans have no interest in those games? Just to brag about having games available for that system?

The idea that that game (especially something as huge as GTAV) will bring other games to the system that you may be interested in?

He's the creepy one.

Shocking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom