• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odinson

Nope. I learned today that power is still what most people care about.

Rösti;38310067 said:
I'm not sure discussion about Wii U's hardware will disappear once game footage reaches us. If Nintendo doesn't issue a spec sheet with clock frequencies, RAM amount etc., certainly will there be debates on what kind of power is needed to produce what is shown in the software reels. And if Nintendo will supply a spec sheet, people (especially at Beyond3D) will toy around with the numbers in relation to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and also the suggested specifications of Durango and Orbis.

While I definitely think it will be nice to discuss specific games and services and not just what kind of processor and graphics card the Wii U has, taking away a part of the debate ain't something I find too interesting. Regardless of what happens, E3 is just around the corner.

I hear ya. I just think it'll be nice to have some other things to talk about. I'm well aware that power will remain the focus. Even more so when we start to hear more about Sony/MS new machines going forward.

StevieP

Banned
Rösti;38310067 said:
I'm not sure discussion about Wii U's hardware will disappear once game footage reaches us. If Nintendo doesn't issue a spec sheet with clock frequencies, RAM amount etc.,

Never going to happen. We'll get one that looks like the one from last E3 at best.

I would just like to add that my comment wasn't a critic to your post, in any way. I was just saying that the recent cancellation of the game is not a good sign about third party on Wii U, both under a "graphic effort" point of view and under a "general support" point of view.
I think that we have a lot of different facts that are aiming toward a negative approach on this topic, and just hope and hype (and please note that me too, I would like to see my wills satisfied) leading into the positive side.

Third parties will treat Nintendo better with the modern platform as opposed to the Wii. But we're talking more like Gamecube less like Xbox here. There are literally teams of bean counters mapping out whether they think something will sell on certain platforms vs whether it won't. It's a risk-vs-return proposition here, not "we all hate Nintendo". Maybe 4A games just doesn't have the team of 5 extra people to spare to do the port to Wii U like Vigil does.

Proelite

What are the chances that Halo 4, God of War, and Last US look equal to or better than the best Wii-U launch title?

Should people be prepared for this outcome with a contingency plan? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

The fact that Nintendo chose to go last means that they're confident they won't be underwhelming anyone, especially when everyone has a whole night to digest MS and Sony game footages.

What are the chances that Halo 4, God of War, and Last US look equal to or better than the best Wii-U launch title?

It just depends on what's at launch. I expect Retro's game to look quite a bit better than any of those, but who knows if it'll be a launch title. Pikmin also has a chance based on the graphics from the GC offerings.

Everyone wants more and more power (so do I, to an extent), but you know what's going to be the real gem, when the next gen consoles from MS and possibly sony launch at 449+. Sony probably at 399 though.

GAF has a LONG 2 years ahead of it :p

ffdgh

Everyone wants more and more power (so do I, to an extent), but you know what's going to be the real gem, when the next gen consoles from MS and possibly sony launch at 449+. Sony probably at 399 though.

GAF has a LONG 2 years ahead of it :p

more like 8-10 lol

Sorry but...what about the Metro LL comment? It really seems to be...inappropriate, after the official cancellation of the Wii U version.

Yeah, Gianni, probably I'm overreacting, but let's always remember that portable and home markets are really far away one from each other.
I still don't see any western support (only Epic Mmickey, probably) from western developers, for example.
And home market is really market oriented, in terms of third party support; very different from the portable situation.
Let's also remember that in the portable market we have 3DS vs just Vita, an expansive and not-welcome (up to now) device from the market (probably because that kind of approach in the west in more welcome on home console in any case...)
So, yeah: I am really really worried about third party support on the Wii U.
Apart the hope and the hype, for example, do we have at least some positive real fact that can support a positive approach to the third party support for Wii U?

I cannot even think to one single positive real fact, honestly.

In the first place - aside from 3DS that is a completely different matter-, was anyone expecting at last year's E3 Alien, Darksiders 2, Assassins creed, Arkham city, Metro last night and Ghost recon being announced for WiiU?

No, in fact no-one predicted any of those games, that stuff came just out of the blue, and imo that was basically only a teaser to keep the general attention alive for a whole year, so I have been aware all along they should still have some aces up their sleeves saved for next year's conference.

So, what's up with all that panicking?

Just try and think of it rationally; you shouldn't focus too much on all negative rumours, but instead stay reassured that there's still quite a bunch of unannounced stuff we know nothing about, and some of those megatons could be announced for WiiU.

Just think of all the potential megatons Nintendo may be revealing in less than 7 days - for instance just the anjouncement of Diablo 3 on WiiU or something from Valve and the hype would be huge - and don't worry too much: you should already know by now Nintendo is always secretive, that's why we don't know yet a single first-party game for WiiU, enough said...

PS Are we by any chance following the conference commenting on IIRC like last year?
We had a good time, still this time around I would ideally make without trolls who were there last year though, someone was a real bore indeed and I don't want to let anyone spoiling my fun this time :p

BD1

Banned
All this UE4 talk is making my head spin. UE is clearly a major toolset in the industry, but reading some of the comments, you'd think the entire industry is 100% created on the engine.

Nintendo should just develope their own completely optimized Wii U engine for third parties and license it for peanuts.

test_account

XP-39C²
All this UE4 talk ks making my head spin. UE is clearly a major toolset in the industry, but reading some of the comments, you'd think the entire industry is 100% created on the engine.

Nintendo should just develope their own completely optimized Wii U engine for third parties and license it for peanuts.
It is more about easy porting, which then leads to more 3rd party support, at least in theory. Creating a game with UE4, i dont think it will be that easy to port it if you have to use a completely new engine. I'm not sure if it is even possible to port a game like this.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
something something PETZ!
Apart from PC, those games are rarely released on platforms other than Nintendo's. Well, PS Vita has gotten some games in the series. And unless you expect the Wii U version (of for example Petz Catz Family) to look worse than that on 3DS, there's probably nothing to worry about here.

If anything I'm dreading what Funbox Media Ltd and Maximum Family Games (racing title) have in store for Wii U. Both of these companies will be exhibiting at E3. Maximum Family Games' booths is very close to Nintendo's booth and directly north of Sony's booth (#4522). Somebody will surely take the opportunity to make a video of it if anything substantial is shown.

Just have a look on one of the titles Maximum Family Games are responsible well (Virtual Play Games is the developer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZvy8PEWXRc

There is an Xbox 360 title by them as well, Sledgehammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQBRwDKjgY&list=PL39EC9EB663D063DC&index=5&feature=plpp_video

Perhaps it's a port of that we will see for Wii U.

Game-Biz

All this UE4 talk ks making my head spin. UE is clearly a major toolset in the industry, but reading some of the comments, you'd think the entire industry is 100% created on the engine.

Peanut prices are on the rise, though. And the US-JPN conversion rate doesn't help this matter.

AzaK

I had this discussion, and think mentioned in thread before, on my podcast.
The worst thing about Nintendo's vow of silence is almost everything we've heard about the console has been negative.
This game isn't coming to the system. This engine doesn't work on the system. This developer has an issue with the system.
So they have a lot of negativity heading into e3. And let's hope they know what they were doing.

As I've said before, I think their biggest problem is the silence on the specs. This generation saw such a MASSIVE difference in performance between the Wii and the HD Twins that it placed even more importance on specs in a lot of gamer's minds. The journalists lapped this up and followed suit because it made it easy to belittle Nintendo and have news items about how weak the Wii was compared to these amazing games they were playing on other consoles. I think that nowadays, no matter what awesome features you add to an OS, controller or infrastructure, graphics power can trump them all.

Then, as the year since last E3 has developed we seem to have a pretty good idea of specs, and while it's looking like they're noticeably better than current gen HD twins, people do not seem blown away by the pure graphic fidelity/power - which might not have been a problem if Nintendo hadn't have come out and said they are targetting the core gamer. So I believe that Nintendo has to plan an E3 with something(s) that can counter the inevitable negativity around Wii U's power. Can they do it? They'd have to come to the party with some massive exclusives, or some top notch first party titles to get there.

I imagine that the media will come out of E3 just like last E3 - interested, maybe excited about a couple of titles and even the looks of some, but I really don't think Nintendo will blow them away. Listening to various podcasts around the place leading up to E3 and you'd think there wasn't a new console being shown in a week's time.

orioto

Good Art™

That wouldn't resolve multi port problem at all. Even if i think this whole multi platform title is a trap for Nintendo.

japtor

This. :( Unfortunately in some ways Cave needs to want more money themselves as their hardcore, restrictively niche, "If you want to play our games then come to Japan," (actual quote from an interview with them some years ago) IOS and Jpn 360-only business model hasn't worked out too well for them in in the long run. And I say this as a die hard shmup and Cave fan (I even own a CPS2 board for Progear no Arashi).

As an example, I recently bought an import copy of Mushihimesama Futari since A)It looks amazing and B) the original game was incredible and C), Cave made it region free. My U.S. 360 is red ringed so I was going to buy a new U.S. system in order to play the game. Then, last week they release Mushihimesama 1 HD and decide not to make it region free. So now I have to decide between getting a new U.S. 360 or springing for an import system (fortunately most U.S. games work on a Jpn 360 and game tags and most XBL content is region free, this makes the decision a bit easier at least).

I know MS supposedly charges unreasonable fees for region free discs but releasing a sequel in region free format then leaving the original game region locked later is just dumb, contradictory behavior on Cave's part towards their fans IMHO and it's little wonder they're going to be forced into making social games (as they've said themselves they're probably about to do). Because part of the problem is they haven't been as reasonable as my example shows, and outside of IOS have mostly refused to evolve to consumers who love shooters in all regions.

But yes, Nintendo, please money hat Cave for lots of shmup content on the eShop. Only you can save them from a social games-only path in the future.

edit: I wanna play DoDonPachi in TATE on my Upad.
I hope Nintendo publishes some Cave titles. It would be awesome to get some exclusive shmups on the Wii U. I hope the Wii U online platform does good things for them. They wouldn't have to worry about manufacturing prices etc. Just release it online and I will pay full price.
Well my hope for them going to Wii U has been that interview where they mentioned likely moving on to new platforms...and Wii U is just kind of an option for them by default. 360 is dead over there, PS3 will be getting replaced in a year or two so I'm not sure they want to jump on that at this point, so the Wii U is sort of the only immediate option, unless they just ditch the console space altogether and go PC and iOS (which is another wild card itself if/when Apple opens up Apple TV and accepts controllers).

Anyway if we're going all out with crazy ideas before E3: Cave developed Nintendo IP shooter!
DUCK HUNT REVENGE
confirmed by people whom I'm forgetting a while ago

edit: it was BG who said so, and I think someone form B3D mentioned it as well. Not 100% but from what they heard.
I believe bg said it was a new IP (and has stuck with that) while Lu Mu Bai over on B3D said not Zelda or Metroid iirc.
It'll be the "CAR VAULT" of a new generation.

midway_car_vault.jpg
I always liked Namco's (?) "ACCOMPLISHED".

Should people be prepared for this outcome with a contingency plan? I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are/aren't, I figure it's a matter of work and budget put into the projects at a certain point...along with the art direction (looking better technically vs aesthetically).

Why does anyone care about power? What anyone should be caring about is the games. I hope no one here expects the WiiU to be teh most powerful console next gen. All anyone should want is that it can at least getthe same games that come out on the other two. I don't need teh best looking version of anything. Stevie P's post is soothing but I maintain my stance: waiting until E3. Less than 7 days.

I actually wonder how much UE4 will be used next-gen. UE3 can still be quite the beast, especially when you look at something like the Samaritan demo. UE4 seems like it could be reserved for really high-end projects instead of just being used across the board like UE3.

Sony did something like this with the Phyre Engine. It was built to make it easy to port to the PSP, PS3, 360, PC and Vita. It's largely been used by smaller Japanese devs.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In the first place - aside from 3DS that is a completely different matter-, was anyone expecting at last year's E3 Alien, Darksiders 2, Assassins creed, Arkham city, Metro last night and Ghost recon being announced for WiiU?

No, in fact no-one predicted any of those games, that stuff came just out of the blue, and imo that was basically only a teaser to keep the general attention alive for a whole year, so I have been aware all along they should still have some aces up their sleeves saved for next year's conference.

So, what's up with all that panicking?

Just try and think of it rationally; you shouldn't focus too much on all negative rumours, but instead stay reassured that there's still quite a bunch of unannounced stuff we know nothing about, and some of those megatons could be announced for WiiU.

Just think of all the potential megatons Nintendo may be revealing in less than 7 days - for instance just the anjouncement of Diablo 3 on WiiU or something from Valve and the hype would be huge - and don't worry too much: you should already know by now Nintendo is always secretive, that's why we don't know yet a single first-party game for WiiU, enough said...

PS Are we by any chance following the conference commenting on IIRC like last year?
We had a good time, still this time around I would ideally make without trolls who were there last year though, someone was a real bore indeed and I don't want to let anyone spoiling my fun this time :p

I promise you: I'll take a breath, go to sleep and tomorrow everything will be better :D
but just because you're my friend, Gianni!
(I'll follow the conf at work, I still have to decide where to follow it: IIRC azzurra, Eye, IGN, Nintendo...but Osoko will welcome you on IIRC)

:D

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I promise you: I'll take a breath, go to sleep and tomorrow everything will be better :D
but just because you're my friend, Gianni!
(I'll follow the conf at work, I still have to decide where to follow it: IIRC azzurra, Eye, IGN, Nintendo...but Osoko will welcome you on IIRC)

:D

Yeah, 'cause I'm not your friend too, right?

:(

Spund, Nuas. Spund with all my heart :(

BD1

Banned
That wouldn't resolve multi port problem at all. Even if i think this whole multi platform title is a trap for Nintendo.

Right, it doesn't solve it at all. I wasn't advocating that as a bridge for UE4 ports. And I agree with you, multi-plat probably is a trap. But if Nintendo provides their own middleware to third parties that allows optimal performance for lower cost, the Wii U could conceivably be home to third party exclusives, Found only on Wii U and taking full advantage of the systems features.

Has any platform holder ever built and licensed an engine for third parties?

test_account

XP-39C²
Why does anyone care about power? What anyone should be caring about is the games. I hope no one here expects the WiiU to be teh most powerful console next gen. All anyone should want is that it can at least getthe same games that come out on the other two. I don't need teh best looking version of anything. Stevie P's post is soothing but I maintain my stance: waiting until E3. Less than 7 days.
The reason why people care about power is exactly because of the games. They want the games to look as good as possible. I know what you mean though, you're referring more to if the game is fun to play or not. But having more power doesnt mean that there is an expence on this. There are games that looks bad, but that still are really boring to play.

Power isnt everything of course, but having games that looks as good as possible can add to the atmosphere in the games, so it can definitely be a good thing :)

More power is basically more insurance. Reduces the chances that a game someone really wants will not come to the console. Understandable to want more.

Right, it doesn't solve it at all. I wasn't advocating that as a bridge for UE4 ports. And I agree with you, multi-plat probably is a trap. But if Nintendo provides their own middleware to third parties that allows optimal performance for lower cost, the Wii U could conceivably be home to third party exclusives, Found only on Wii U and taking full advantage of the systems features.

It may get 3rd party exclusives but it won't be AAA exclusives as third party developers will NOT want to lose money by putting them on hardware that at least the last three generations hasn't proven to produce top notch sales for non Nintendo/non party software.

Also, people should be worried about power and UE4, that is if you care at all about the Wii U not ending up like the Wii in terms of third party support.

Luigison

So, what games do you guys thing would benefit form a new expansion/remake on the Wii U?

I still think the SMB series needs a reboot a la MM9 w/ some e-World add-ons and a level editor like Mario vs. DK2.

I'd also love to see a new Wario DIY on Wii U that lets you make entire levels and worlds.

I party version of Brain Age would also work to draw in more casuals.

A marble game like Kororinpa or other tilt controlled game.

In all cases of 2D games I think there needs to be some way to easily share scores, achievements, levels, sprites, etc.

japtor

A few people have mentioned that Nintendo has one and that it's supposedly good. I think the bigger issue is just getting devs to make third party exclusives in the first place rather than anything to do with development difficulties.

antonz

I would really like to see Cryengine3 used much more in the industry but they have an uphill battle since Epic dominates the industry and has for so long that they have a much easier infrastructure in place for support etc

SolidSnakex, who is the girl on your avatar?

That'd be Radeo.

It may get 3rd party exclusives but it won't be AAA exclusives as third party developers will NOT want to lose money by putting them on hardware that at least the last three generations hasn't proven to produce top notch sales for non Nintendo/non party software.

I really think that Nintendo might able to land KH3 as an exclusive. Dragon Quest games and probably Monster Hunter titles are also a lock. So, they'll net at least a couple AAA exclusives.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
More power is basically more insurance. Reduces the chances that a game someone really wants will not come to the console. Understandable to want more.

But I thought the game people really wanted was a back to basics 2D Zelda game. Do you really need that much power for that?

Anyway if we're going all out with crazy ideas before E3: Cave developed Nintendo IP shooter! DUCK HUNT REVENGE

You just blew my mind! How about this: It would be a two in one title, a reboot of the original game, plus a manic, bullet storm vertical shmup starring the Hunting Dog in a plane shooting down ducks and UFOs! DoDuckPachi! And Pyoro (who had his own vertical shmup mini game in Wario Ware Smooth Moves) would be your alternate fighter! If anybody at Nintendo is reading this, PLEASE make something like this happen! Also, the Upad could easily be made TATE/Shmup friendly as long as Shmup devs are smart and make the controls 100% configurable, a post I made in spec thread V earlier this month:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=37711193

Glass Joe said:
...there are a handful of games that could make great use of the tablet on a vertical setting... Shooters like Ikaruga or the recently announced Pinball game. The problem? There's no way to really control it using that method. Well, maybe with a stand and a Wii remote, but that's a pretty messy set up.

Agent Unknown said:
Actually, as long as a dev makes the controls completely configurable, playing a vertical shmup like Ikaruga is totally doable on the Upad and a potentially great future option for the streaming feature and a player wouldn't have to use a stand/wiimote at all. As an example, I have Capcom Classics Remixed for PSP and I always play 1941 and Varth with my PSP flipped in full TATE screen mode with movement on the Dpad reversed and fire and bomb/special mapped to different positions on the analog nub. It just takes a little bit of getting used to and works extremely well.

Using the same method on the Upad, you'd be using the left analog slider for movement and Dpad for firing, ect. and as long the controller is as light as people say, just like my PSP TATE example, it would be easy to adjust to. Again though, it depends on the dev because I also have Twinbee Portable collection and for some stupid reason Konami chose to allow TATE controls on the dpad but kept the firing options locked to the face buttons which is very uncomfortable and ruins it as a viable option.

test_account

XP-39C²
If this was the case, we'd all be gaming on high end PCs. Like me :D
Hehe, well, true. But with "as good as possible", i ment within a certain price range :) Consoles are $400 - $600 at launch. You can probably get a gaming PC for this price too, but if you want something more powerful for much better graphics, you're looking at $1000+.

StevieP

Banned
Hehe, well, true. But with "as good as possible", i ment within a certain price range :) Consoles are $400 - $600 at launch. You can probably get a gaming PC for this price too, but if you want something more powerful for much better graphics, you're looking at $1000+.

A $600 PC would put consoles to shame.

test_account

XP-39C²
A $600 PC would put consoles to shame.
In these days you can get a PC that is more powerful than today's consoles indeed, but back at the PS3/Xbox 360 launch, then you could not get a PC for $600 that put those consoles to shame. I havnt followed today's PC prices that much, but compared to today's prices on consoles, can you get a gaming PC for ~$250 (including Windows) that is much more powerful than the consoles?

But consoles also have fixed hardware, so it is something that you're stuck with for ~5+ years. With PC, you can always upgrade if you want better graphics. This isnt possible for consoles, so that is why "as good as possible" graphics on consoles is important for many, i would guess.

I didnt say that graphical power is everything, but i just answered why people think that it is important :)

japtor

You just blew my mind! How about this: It would be a two in one title, a reboot of the original game, plus a manic, bullet storm vertical shmup starring the Hunting Dog in a plane shooting down ducks and UFOs! DoDuckPachi! And Pyoro (who had his own vertical shmup mini game in one of the Wario Ware titles) would be your alternate fighter! If anybody at Nintendo is reading this, PLEASE make something like this happen! Also, the Upad could easily be made TATE/Shmup friendly as long as Shmup devs are smart and make the controls 100% configurable, a post I made in spec thread V earlier this month:
Yeah I've played in tate on my GB Micro with a homebrew bullet hell game, it was surprisingly playable. The big difference would just be the sheer size of the thing though, it'd be kind of a pain I think cause the way your wrists would have to bend more (holding my iPad like that right now kind of visualizing it). Of course there's always the iOS cheater control option too, move around with the touch screen. And that tate mode stand + remote...they made that little stand thing for Kid Icarus, they can make one for this!

jacksrb

Sad to see the news about Metro:LL and that Aliens slipped to next year.

In my opinion, the thing that the Wii lacked the most compared to the HD twins was the breadth of compelling 7.5 to 9.0 games that won't win GoTY awards but are enjoyed.

Both of these games would fit in that area to me. Aliens, in particular, looked to have a really fantastic single player.

The launch lineup will still be really strong, I think:
- BLOPS 2 - check (assumed)
- ACIII - check
- Madden - check (assumed)
- 3 1st party games (guessing)
- Batman: AC with all the DLC

Nooo In topic: if Pikmin 3 will not be a launch title, I'll wait for it before buying the console

I'll bet that next week you'll be drooling over whatever game being announced for WiiU regardless, just like last year we were both hyped upon watching 3DS's video-reel with SM3DLand, Luigi's mansion, Mario kart 7 etc.

Again, for sure Nintendo'll be showing up something good, and even if Pikmin3 shouldn't be a launch title, there would be something else that will justify a day-one purchase, but then the biggest problem for us will be having to wait until WiiU's PAL release, hype is going to be huge!

K444WSR

Just found out today that I'm working late every day next week- means I won't get to see the conference live. :(

Is there gonna be a spoiler free thread with the conferences in them for people like myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom