• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Tablet announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pro version has USB 3.0. Honestly, I have no interest in the ARM version of this thing. All of the support is for Intel chip Windows. That's the only one I care about. Something that is legitimately "no compromises". They just need to get the battery life there.

Ah. Missed that bit.

Not really interested in getting one of these personally, but it's neat tech.

Well... they could've flubbed the actual particulars of the design. They're not Apple ya'know?

It's a very cool looking product.

The reaction is just confusing me.

I'm not really shocked that half of the forum seems completely unaware of the fact Microsoft actually created a Tablet OS and released tablets via 3rd parties YEARS before the iPad was a twinkle in Steve Jobs eye (it was just a reflection it turns out, of the iPhone)...

But some of the people in here were well aware of previous MS OS tablets, and seemed to be expecting some giant surprise "or else"... and now they are acting like what we already knew about WIndows 8 tablets is some huge killer feature for MS.. when.. they knew of these features a few hours ago.. when they were poo-pooing MS in the pre-announcement thread.

Anyways..

Meta conversation, kind of pointless.. just an odd thread IMO.

c68976033db65859d7b38fd9d3d6b6cfe176f273.jpg

From theverge comments section.

Someone really needs to make a game based on this. "The Adventures of Balmer"

I think there's a lot of people hard up to see any kind of real competition to Apple. Android tablets have all shit the bed, so MS is their only hope.

and quite clearly, a bunch of people who know nothing about Windows 8. It was like everything that we've seen for quite awhile now was brand new to them. It's cute. I don't even think half the people posting know the very important difference between Pro and RT...and the legacy software they keep asking about.

Juice

Agreed.

When I saw that this was just.. pretty much what was expected.. MS branded tablet hardware w/ Windows 8's known features.

I came into this thread expecting to see a blood-bath of "that's it?"

Color me.. confused.

Product looks cool though.

Same. Reminds me of the excitement engendered by the Xoom announcement.

There's a lot of hope in this thread... and I don't like it.

read any Windows 8 thread?

most of these questions are answered.

No, I haven't actually. I'm new to the Windows scene as I've been a total Apple guy for the last 6 years. This reveal was interesting, but left more questions than answers. I think there are many people that will be coming from my perspective. They didn't discuss any of this in their presser, but I'd very much like to see how it will all work. Do you have any recommended thread links?

Blastoise

Banned
I bet the trackpad on it will be bad. Look how skinny the keyboard cover is? I hope they are using some new technology, because Bluetooth covers I've used that are this skinny have always had lousy trackpads.

Overall, Microsoft have got me excited for Windows 8.

My big question is can an OS really fully work as a touch screen interface as well as a desktop OS with keyboard mouse?

iOS apps are simple and designed that way. Can developers really make them work both ways? And can you really use the standard Windows apps other than the browser without a keyboard mouse? The hardware seems really good, but nobody was ever all that impressed with the iPad hardware. The design was the thing.

I remain interested to see which approach is "better". Simplified and customized OS vs "we can make it work both ways".

Centurion

Banned
I hope people don't have their hopes up for a high battery life for the intel version.

What's a good guess here? Somewhere in the ~5-10 hour mark?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pro version = 999$
It just has to, for the base model that is. Seems like a good deal at that price.

Zeppu

I bet the trackpad on it will be bad. Look how skinny the keyboard cover is? I hope they are using some new technology, because Bluetooth covers I've used that are this skinny have always had lousy trackpads.

Overall, Microsoft have got me excited for Windows 8.

I dont think it's BT though.

LCfiner

Did they talk about browsing? If this device gives me back the real internet on portable devices I would be very happy. (Chrome & Flash should be a lock for the pro version, right?)

sure. plus a 2 hour battery life running flash aggressively on a 42 w-h battery

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The spec sheet is missing the most important specs. Processor speed, gpu specs and battery life.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No, I haven't actually. I'm new to the Windows scene as I've been a total Apple guy for the last 6 years. This reveal was interesting, but left more questions than answers. I think there are many people that will be coming from my perspective. They didn't discuss any of this in their presser, but I'd very much like to see how it will all work. Do you have any recommended thread links?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476172

kagete

So the cheap RT has free Office 2013 but the pro version (which does have the pen input) doesn't? That really kills a bit of the value proposition for me since I will definitely buy it eventually anyway. Now for pure productivity, a $500 to $600 RT surface w/ free Office seems like a great deal but a $900 to $1300 Pro that I have to pay extra for Office for doesn't seem so hot anymore.

Oh decisions, decisions... MS should really get that pricing released ASAP

FStop7

Banned
1. No walled garden app store bullshit.

2. Able to run Steam and use USB peripherals such an Xbox 360 controller to run my favorite PC games (as tweeted by video games' very own Jeff Gerstmann®)

3. Digital ink for jotting down notes, marking up documents, drawing penises and beaming them over to friends during boring meetings

4. A more practical resolution for that form factor

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They moved the drunk thread into community. Tab to the right.

Not at all. Obviously, it's just my opinion, but I don't see why anyone should give a shit about Android. With a fully functional Windows tablet (Pro version, obviously) and the iPad in the market, why would you go for Android?

Juice

I hope people don't have their hopes up for a high battery life for the intel version.

What's a good guess here? Somewhere in the ~5-10 hour mark?

If it's a Core i5 < 2 pounds, it'd probably need to be less than half the kwh storage as the MacBook Air. I'd guess that means 3-5.

It's a very cool looking product.

The reaction is just confusing me.

I'm not really shocked that half of the forum seems completely unaware of the fact Microsoft actually created a Tablet OS and released tablets via 3rd parties YEARS before the iPad was a twinkle in Steve Jobs eye (it was just a reflection it turns out, of the iPhone)...

But some of the people in here were well aware of previous MS OS tablets, and seemed to be expecting some giant surprise "or else"... and now they are acting like what we already knew about WIndows 8 tablets is some huge killer feature for MS.. when.. they knew of these features a few hours ago.. when they were poo-pooing MS in the pre-announcement thread.

Anyways..

Meta conversation, kind of pointless.. just an odd thread IMO.

Because this seems to have been put together extremely well.

Plus the fact that it's a true tablet/desktop PC hybrid makes it very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom