• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motomu Toriyama hints at a new Final Fantasy XIII in Ultimania Omega

turnbuckle

I hope this is the case. I was disappointed with FFXIII but liked the combat system, I really liked FFXIII-2 but it was too easy and the coliseum needed tiered content (some free, some paid) so it could have some usefulness outside of being a tacked-on post game grind.

What I'd really like is for the trilogy to be all in one package with some balance and system adjustments to improve the experience along with some additional content to flesh out the first two games a bit. Short of something like that there's little chance another sequel will even do 80% of the already disappointing sales.

--

Put the trilogy on the Vita and have it share saves with the PS3 and I'll double dip.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I could read about how much you hated auto-battle all day, it's so, factually, true. Which is what makes it brilliant.

I really wish they would just remove it in a sequel, there is no reason the repeat command shouldn't be there instead.

I guess I just hope this time around they do add a hard difficulty, even if they made the default difficulty more on par with what was in the original FF13 I've spent hundreds of hours between the games now that I just know all the ins and outs of the combat, the only real way to make it harder without changing core mechanics would be stat boosts to the enemies.
I know people who played the game manually and didn't know that there was a Repeat option. :lol

I think the COM Auto-Battle AI is very stupid too. Ruinx4 or Attackx4 or even Blitzx2 does a more than sufficient job. Attacking, then stopping to Ruin, then Attacking again in a situation where there is no clear winner out of the two is inefficient and it slows down the pace of battle. Why does the Auto-Battle AI think that's a good idea in a speed-based battle system? It's completely inelegant. It's like they didn't take into account the animation frames and times for characters to carry out an action when they programmed the auto-battle.

Same goes for Jammer (switching between attacks), and Enhancer (buffing stuff that you don't want immediately, or going with offensive buffs first rather than defensive buffs... or in the case of FFXIII-2 where I noticed in one of the LP videos that the Enhancer monster was putting offensive buffs on itself when it shouldn't be since it doesn't attack!). In a game where timing is everything and mere seconds can make the difference between a 5-star and a 4-star, you don't want to be wasting your time with animations that take up too much time (particularly with the AoE spells). It's baffling how and why they programmed the auto-battle like that. I know it's supposed to be entertaining first and foremost, but it makes battles last a little longer than they should due to the attacks it picks rather than being completely fluid and quick like the system is intended to be. People generally pick Auto-Battle because they want to get the battles over and done with as soon as possible, when in reality, auto-battle just makes things inefficient.

Given that we'll be getting three FFXIII games with likely CSB in all three of them with some extensions and improvements across each new iteration, it's only natural for them to implement a hard mode for those who've platinumed FFXIII (and FFXIII-2, but moreso FFXIII). I've put in 265-ish hours across both games, so I hope I know the Command Synergy Battle System enough to conquer whatever they hand me in hard mode should they add one in. I just don't want hard mode to be just stat boosts, though. Enemies should get newer attacks and have faster gauges. Like, Ys does difficulty scaling right, so I want it like that, kind of.

I wish JRPGs went back to the times when the main character talked like that.
Me too. There are some on handhelds, but yeah, me too.

if you mean "memorable" as nostaglia then any game that I played when I was 10 y old can be memorable. if you mean memorable as a great game then a lot of people are wrong.

Trying to rank the FFs by quality is just asking for trouble. There is no unanimous order and plenty of people think X and XII are the best in the series.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
More importantly... what if XIII-3 was on handhelds? Wouldn't be the first time a canon entry was put on a different platform.

I don't see that happening. The main audience of XIII is on PS3 and 360, the (few) people that decided to buy XIII-2 did so by supporting the game on those same platforms. Also XIII-3 will be probably even more heavely-DLC loaded and I don't see 3DS having the structure and space to support that. Last a XIII-3 on handheld would need a new engine for it, thus losing chances to re-use assets like they did for XIII-2. Plus I don't see selling more in the west by going portable, quite the contrary.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't see that happening. The main audience of XIII is on PS3 and 360, the (few) people that decided to buy XIII-2 did so by supporting the game on those same platforms. Also XIII-3 will be probably even more heavely-DLC loaded and I don't see 3DS having the structure and space to support that. Last a XIII-3 on handheld would need a new engine for it, thus losing chances to re-use assets like they did for XIII-2. Plus I don't see selling more in the west by going portable, quite the contrary.

KH was originally on consoles then they moved it to portables. I don't see why they can't do it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Hasn't stopped them from platform hopping before.

FF12 (PS2) -> FF12RW (DS) for example.

I don't really think it would need a new engine on Vita. I could see it working out tech wise but I don't see it happening though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
KH was originally on consoles then they moved it to portables. I don't see why they can't do it.
Because the move to portables was the cheapest way to reuse all those PS2 assets. Moving FFXIII-3 to Vita might make sense, but that platform is dead in Japan anyway.

Perfo

Hasn't stopped them from platform hopping before.

FF12 (PS2) -> FF12RW (DS) for example.

Of course, you could also name Kingdom Hearts. But Revenant Wings wasn't FFXII-2 and Birth by Sleep isn't Kingdom Hearts 3. A spin-off perhaps could happen to be on portables if they want to continue milking XIII lol.

RW takes place after FF12 and BBS is a mainline prequel to the KH series.

I know, I know. But you know what I mean, still they're not titled XII-2 nor KH0/3. There are reasons for that :p

ZenaxPure

I just don't want hard mode to be just stat boosts, though. Enemies should get newer attacks and have faster gauges. Like, Ys does difficulty scaling right, so I want it like that, kind of.

Me too, as someone who spent far longer raiding WoW hard modes than anyone should admit too I always prefer my hard difficulties to add new mechanics. Problem is like 99% of games (like, all games, not even just SE games) don't do that since I assume it's more work for something most people won't touch. I'd settle for just enemies with more HP and who hit harder, even if I would like more mechanics.

More importantly... what if XIII-3 was on handhelds? Wouldn't be the first time a canon entry was put on a different platform.

I would be fine with this as well, but would it actually be the smart thing to do (financially)? I don't really claim to know how their engines and such work but I assume at this point it would have to be cheaper to just make a new console FF13 than make something from the ground up for a handheld, right?

Even if the handheld route was cheaper, though, it might cut down some potential audience outside of Japan, but then again at this point I think people know if they like what FF13 offers so I could see that "fanbase" just going to where ever the game ended up.

kayos90

Of course, you could also name Kingdom Hearts. But Revenant Wings wasn't FFXII-2 and Birth by Sleep isn't Kingdom Hearts 3. A spin-off perhaps could happen to be on portables if they want to continue milking XIII lol.

BbS is a prequel to KH1 and is a pretty big title, nowhere near a spin-off.

Levyne

Banned
Spin off is a subjective definition. For some not having a number in the title and not featuring Sora and Co. is enough to call BBS a spin-off.

Spin off is a subjective definition. For some not having a number in the title and not featuring Sora and Co. is enough to call BBS a spin-off.

But that would be like saying Ys Origin is a spin-off since Adol is not featured in it though I guess I do understand where you are coming from.

Shahed

They already fragmented the user base based on the quality of 13 and 13-2 themselves...

Maybe in terms of quality, but at least the fans who are usually willing to buy FF are still there.

Going handheld you'd have neither. I mean look at Revelations sales figures. And that's a better game than recent Res Evils in my opinion

Perfo

The fanboy inside me says I'd like to see XIII-3 published on PS3/360 but a prequel published later on 3DS. It could work!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maybe in terms of quality, but at least the fans who are usually willing to buy FF are still there.

Going handheld you'd have neither. I mean look at Revelations sales figures. And that's better than recent Res Evils

Final Fantasy Type-0 did 700K on PSP.
Crisis Core did 800K in Japan.
Dissidia 900K in Japan...

Final Fantasy III did over 1 million on DS in Japan.
IV did 600K.

So I think saying that there isn't an audience for FF on handhelds is somewhat a false assumption.

ZenaxPure

Spin off is a subjective definition.

That's the problem, it's not. If it has the same cast of characters and continues the same story line it's not a spin off, simple as that. The definition of a spin off is taking the ideas of something and applying it to a new story.

BBS and FF12 RW are not spin offs. A better comparison is that crappy KH 358/2 days. It focuses strictly on one event inside the KH storyline but has no real bearing on the rest of the series where as BBS strictly continues the story started in KH1 and KH2.

Kyoufu

So I think saying that there isn't an audience for FF on handhelds is somewhat a false assumption.

It doesn't matter in the end. There is no audience for FFXIII-3. Move on to the next iteration in the franchise, unless they're aiming for White Knight Chronicles sales figures...

kayos90

It doesn't matter in the end. There is no audience for FFXIII-3. Move on to the next iteration in the franchise, unless they're aiming for White Knight Chronicles sales figures...

If they're reusing a lot of assets and such are they really losing money though? I wonder...

Shahed

Final Fantasy Type-0 did 700K on PSP.
Crisis Core did 800K in Japan.
Dissidia 900K in Japan...

Final Fantasy III did over 1 million on DS in Japan.
IV did 600K.

I didn't mean there's not an audience for FF on handheld. Maybe I came across wrong. What I meant was that with XIII and XIII-2 not available on handhelds, there's not much chance people would be willing to buy XIII-3.

Kind of like how Mass Effect 2 and 3 sold poorly on PS3 compared to 360, and why I believe the Wii U ME3 will bomb. The user base was already built on 360, so in games that have an immediate relation and direct continuation of story, the game will pretty much always sell better with the people who have bought previous iterations compared to a new audience.A brand new FF on handhelds would be fine

Besides didn't someone from Square once say that mainline FF is to stay on consoles, since fans expect the latest tech, graphics and the like? Can't remember who or when, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The way the Final Fantasy series has turned out this generation, maybe it was better that titles like The Last Guardian and Half-Like 3 weren't released......

3DS and PS3 are essentially the only platforms really selling in Japan right now, so any future game would be on one of those. There's zero chance that a XIII-3 wouldn't be on consoles, though, because the whole point of these awful sequels is to wring as much cash out of the assets they already have. Trying to make it on 3DS would probably be as much effort as just making an entirely new title for the system. Also, I imagine sales outside of Japan would be considerably worse on a handheld.

dramatis

If they spend less on 13-3 and get WKC sales figures, they might still make a profit.

But I don't think the sales will drop to half of its predecessor again.
I didn't mean there's not an audience for FF on handheld. Maybe I came across wrong. What I meant was that with XIII and XIII-2 not available on handhelds, there's not much chance people would be willing to buy XIII-3.

Besides didn't someone from Square once say that mainline FF is to stay on consoles, since fans expect the latest tech, graphics and the like? Can't remember who or when, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
But that's exactly what Revenant Wings and BBS are, but people bought those. FF12 and KH1&2 weren't on handhelds.

The retard who said what you mentioned was Kitase.

3DS and PS3 are essentially the only platforms really selling in Japan right now, so any future game would be on one of those. There's zero chance that a XIII-3 wouldn't be on consoles, though, because the whole point of these awful sequels is to wring as much cash out of the assets they already have. Trying to make it on 3DS would probably be as much effort as just making an entirely new title for the system. Also, I imagine sales outside of Japan would be considerably worse on a handheld.
Don't ignore the PSP.

Levyne

Banned
That's the problem, it's not. If it has the same cast of characters and continues the same story line it's not a spin off, simple as that. The definition of a spin off is taking the ideas of something and applying it to a new story.

BBS and FF12 RW are not spin offs. A better comparison is that crappy KH 358/2 days. It focuses strictly on one event inside the KH storyline but has no real bearing on the rest of the series where as BBS strictly continues the story started in KH1 and KH2.

Hm..I don't agree but I will keep it in mind

Kyoufu

If they're reusing a lot of assets and such are they really losing money though? I wonder...

So when you have a brand that sells millions and millions with each installment, all that matters to you at the end of the day is if it turns a profit no matter how small?

Sure, profit is what the business is about but if you're going to be satisfied with 300k sales for an FF game then you don't deserve to be in charge of the brand or even the company.

Shahed

But that's exactly what Revenant Wings and BBS are, but people bought those. FF12 and KH1&2 weren't on handhelds..

How well did they sell outside Japan compared to the console iterations? I have no idea but I'm guessing less. I'm sure there will be people in Japan willing to pick up a handheld XIII-3, but not so sure about those in the EU/US. I mean I would still get it on handheld, but I'm probably in the minority

sublimit

Banned
Toriyama's like that gratingly annoying crackhead down the street that constantly tries to sell you fast food he grabbed from a nearby garbage bin. And you keep telling him "NO I DON'T WANT TO BUY THIS, LEAVE ME ALONE" to no avail.

Haha so true! XD
Don't get me wrong i appreciate the work he has done on FFX and on a few other games but lately he seems like he totally lost whatever talent he once had.

LProtag

I'd really just like them to try again with another main FF series. I know they can give me something that harkens back to the PSX era if they try.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'd really just like them to try again with another main FF series. I know they can give me something that harkens back to the PSX era if they try.

Isn't that what Versus XIII is trying to do? They do have a good chunk of the original FFVII staff on that project.

Shahed

It's not just FF. Back in the PS1 days, they had awesome games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Parasite Eve as well. I'd love it if we could go back to those days with awesome RPG's releasing near yearly. Not really possible now though with how development has changed

Isn't that what Versus XIII is trying to do? They do have a good chunk of the original FFVII staff on that project.

That's probably why it's the single game I'm anticipating most right now. I just hope Square deliver.

KingJ2002

god dammit... why?

let it go already!

let's move on please.... the XIII games make little to no sense and IMO... the worst entries in the series... let's just stop beating this dead horse and move on.

kayos90

So when you have a brand that sells millions and millions with each installment, all that matters to you at the end of the day is if it turns a profit no matter how small?

Sure, profit is what the business is about but if you're going to be satisfied with 300k sales for an FF game then you don't deserve to be in charge of the brand or even the company.

Hey, I'm not saying they should do that and I'm not saying that I would do that given the situation. I'm just saying would they do it or not.

Arklite

Kind of astonished, I didn't think the XIIIs were being received so well as to continue this far. Or are they just continually trying to salvage it? I liked XIII but they keep pushing it hard despite its seemingly lukewarm popularity.

kayos90

Kind of astonished, I didn't think the XIIIs were being received so well as to continue this far. Or are they just continually trying to salvage it? I liked XIII but they keep pushing it hard despite its seemingly lukewarm popularity.

The way I look at it, they invested heavily into XIII and its engine and they just want to make the most of it and try to make as much money as possible. I could be wrong.

CorvoSol

Has Toriyama ever written anything good? My experience with his "talent" in The 3rd Birthday left me enraged.

Bahamut Lagoon, I guess. I don't remember it being offensive. His role in X has been debated a lot.

People complained XIII was too hard? Who on earth thought that? Once you got used to all the roles, the game was straightforward, even post game content. I thought XIII was too easy, which makes the fact they made XIII-2 easier even more annoying. Imagine if they gave you Haste?

That's one thing I want from XIII-3 if they do one. Give us a Hard mode, or bump the difficulty of Normal up. Those who find it too hard can play on Easy.

I didn't like that the Party Leader dying meant insta-game-over, but that was really the only difficulty I had.

Vamphuntr

To me it only shows that SE have many issues with console games development. Once again they'll be reusing the same engine and will be recycling assets. It's sad, really. We have yet to see a HD Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Quest and Versus XIII but we might get XIII-3.

Not FF, but this is the impression I get from Bravely Default. What little I've seen of it gives me a PSX era final fantasy vibe. Wonder if anyone else feels the same way

Perfo

To me it only shows that SE have many issues with console games development. Once again they'll be reusing the same engine and will be recycling assets.

That's typical to the whole industry though. I don't see a culprit here, it's needed to survive.

The thing is that with the other sequels, take Dead Space and Assassin's Creed for example, there are incremental improvements in the engine, graphics, texture, etc. Here, it seemed like it was a step backwards.

You have a point but that's not the general perception, most of the people thought XIII-2 was better than XIII – at least judging reviews and opinions expressed in here. Of course, mine is quite different :p

Top Bottom