• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motomu Toriyama hints at a new Final Fantasy XIII in Ultimania Omega

Cornbread78

Of course it is. After all that junk DLC in XIII-2 that did nothing to conclude the story, hence a new game that will.

I personally loved XIII-2, I thought it was a big improvement. That said I don't want a XIII-3, just let it die already. Why not finish Versus instead? Do a Kingdom Hearts 3? Oh hey, how about a new Final Fantasy all together?

...why? These games are all garbage and I would rather see SE waste less resources on low-profile garbage than a lot of resources on shiny, high-profile garbage.

or how about a friggin' western type-0 release?! how has this not happened? how is it not even mentioned anymore?...

C'mon guys, this is SE we're talking about here.... You're asking waaay too much and you should all know better by now. They are going to release what they want (iOS/Android) and not what gamers want. It's just how they roll now...

Someone needs to stop this madness. Instead of HD remakes of 6, 7 or 12 we get this? Fucking hell.

You can only rest on your laurels for so long Square Enix, sooner or later you have to make the games people actually fucking want.

sublimit

Banned
It's not that any of these is delaying Versus or XV for what we know.

We don't know that.
All we know is that something is definitely delaying Versus and that since its announcement SE will probably release three XIII games before they release Versus.

So yeah i think it's not farfetched for someone to consider that Toriyama's projects are one of the reasons that Versus keeps getting delayed.Maybe Nomura's team kept helping those projects (XIII,XIII-2 and XIII-3).

Toth

This thread alone shows why 13-3 would happen. A lot of people liked 13-2 and want to buy a sequel. A lot of people did not (or hated 13) and will not.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This thread alone shows why 13-3 would happen. A lot of people liked 13-2 and want to buy a sequel. A lot of people did not (or hated 13) and will not.

Meh. I mean I liked the mechanics of XIII-2 a lot. Amazing battle system IMO. I would prefer, however, that those be applied to a new game and not the same awful story and characters.

Toth

Meh. I mean I liked the mechanics of XIII-2 a lot. Amazing battle system IMO. I would prefer, however, that those be applied to a new game and not the same awful story and characters.

True but given that 13-2 did address some (I know not all) of the criticisms of 13, I am intrigued what they could use from 13-2 to make an even better game. I really enjoyed the Lightning DLC battle system and I would like to see an enhanced version of that for the sequel.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
We don't know that.
All we know is that something is definitely delaying Versus

Yes, being behind schedule like Last Guardian, FFXIII and GT5. Kitase and Toriyama are filling the holes left by that messy project that is Versus, a project so important to them that is getting the attention, budget and talents usually reserved to a "FFXV" project-like. It'll take time, but it'll be great because that's the future of Final Fantasy. In the mean time we're left with XIII series trying to fill that gap. This or nothing.

Bentendo

Final_Fantasy_XII_-_Revenant_Wings_Coverart.png

SO bad :(

Why? It's one of the few games I actually play a LOT.

Caelestis

Oh ho ho ho ho.... another one? Not sure how much of this I can take anymore. SE needs to just fire Toriyama, cancel Versus and do something else. It's getting hard to care about them.

Oh ho ho ho ho.... another one? Not sure how much of this I can take anymore. SE needs to just fire Toriyama, cancel Versus and do something else. It's getting hard to care about them.

Maybe they could release develop KH3 for iOS instead or make it a free-to-play game.

Shahed

I'd buy a XIII-3. Despite their flaws, I still quite enjoyed the first two games. I'd say I'm actually looking forward to it.

On the other hand, I'd much rather have Versus and Type-0 Vita. Come one Square, these are the ones I really want. Hurry up!

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It really fucking figures that the one and only FF I have absolutely no interest in get's this much attention. I really can't help but just laugh about it honestly.

Why couldn't 12 have gotten this treatment instead :(
My very first thought as well. Really is a damn shame.

At the very least give us an HD version for god sakes. Come on Square...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They're just biding their time while PS4 FF7:HD is being made. Midgar multiple times the size of Academia, a new Triple Triad section of Gold Saucer, intense overworld battles with WEAPONS, Honeybee Inn is now a standalone visual novel, etc etc.

sublimit

Banned
Yes, being behind schedule like Last Guardian, FFXIII and GT5. Kitase and Toriyama are filling the holes left by that messy project that is Versus, a project so important to them that is getting the attention, budget and talents usually reserved to a "FFXV" project-like. It'll take time, but it'll be great because that's the future of Final Fantasy. In the mean time we're left with XIII series trying to fill that gap. This or nothing.

Why are you so sure that it isn't the other way around?Like Nomura's team being constantly sidetracked trying to help finishing Toriyama's projects like XIII,XIII-2 and now XIII-3?

I remember Nomura saying (in 2008?) that they helped XIII's development so who's to say that doesn't continue happening?

jorgeton

Good news in my book. I liked FFXIII and really liked FFXIII-2. Need some closure! Also, the battle system is still fun after all these years. Hopefully they'll throw in some new wrinkles to mix it up a bit.

And I think this game's (if it indeed is what the interview is hinting at) development won't interrupt Versus, as that one is probably closer to done than this one, which seems to be in the idea/planning stages. Also, a bunch of FF XIII-2 was outsourced to Tri-Ace, I'm sure they could do the same for XIII-3.

Seda

Didn't like FFXIII in general.

I thought XIII-2's plot was pretty bad (worse than the first game, really) but I had a lot of fun playing it. Much better game in my eyes.

I'm game for a XIII-3.

legacyzero

Banned
To be fair, 13-2 was a better game than the first. Still couldn't keep my attention though :/

I really should finish it, I didn't HATE the game like I did 13.

Ikael

I just cannot comprehend what the living hell is the Squarenix product strategy or if they have one at all. They are sitting on a trove of valuable, unusued IP's, yet the only thing they are pushing are multiple sequels to one of their least sucessful Final Fantasy titles (and I actually liked XIII, mind you). It is truthly baffling. We don't get a console Kingdom Hearts, Versus is nowhere to be found, they teases us with Agni's Philosophy trailer and Parasite Eve sequel gets downgraded into a mobile game. Jesus.

Zoe

I just cannot comprehend what the living hell is the Squarenix product strategy or if they have one at all. They are sitting on a trove of valuable, unusued IP's, yet the only thing they are pushing are multiple sequels to one of their least sucessful Final Fantasy titles (and I actually liked XIII, mind you). It is truthly baffling. We don't get a console Kingdom Hearts, Versus is nowhere to be found, they teases us with Agni's Philosophy trailer and Parasite Eve sequel gets downgraded into a mobile game. Jesus.

Sequels are cheap to make when you can reuse the same engine and assets.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I liked XIII-2 a lot (yes, even its story and ending), but am starting to get sick of the whole world and Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology. Never found it that captivating to begin with. So hopefully there's not gonna be an XIII-3, and SE can concentrate on XV.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LOL when they announce it, it will be really awkward for them, they know that people didn't ask for XIII-2 which sold like shit, things can only get worse with a XIII-3.
I doubt that they really want to make this game after they have seen the reaction to XIII-2...it's just that it was decided at a corporate level that they had to make a trilogy out of FXIII because it's cheap and easy money (who cares about the damage the FF brand continues to take), so even for a developer it must be frustrating to work on such a project.
Also the story in FFXIII-2 was terrible.

Especially since afaik they are aware that FFXIII hasn't done very well for the brand's perception... or at least they are outside of Japan.

I know logically Square has been a very weak developer all through the HD era, but it still hurts to see it reduced to this.

The only hope I have now is that it can get FFX HD out the door. Versus is too great in the mire to be saved, I fear, and as for major Kindgom Hearts games on a console? In your dreams. Even Dragon Quest is being turned into an MMO.

I enjoyed FFXIII and XIII-2(got platinum) i think square-enix look at the sales and dlc profit for XIII-2 and just start development for 3 just to make some more profit, they use the same engine and recycle stuff, they are trying to milk all they can from the same development tools, even if the sales are down they are making enough profit to justify another sequel...

Perfo

Why are you so sure that it isn't the other way around?Like Nomura's team being constantly sidetracked trying to help finishing Toriyama's projects like XIII,XIII-2 and now XIII-3?

I remember Nomura saying (in 2008?) that they helped XIII's development so who's to say that doesn't continue happening?

Because the way they're taking care of it (like no releasing infos 'till is really done, and focusing the development on it for years and years 'till – presumably – perfection) shows me they consider Versus XIII important as much as Final Fantasy XIII, that means for them that game will have to sell 4ml+ to be profitable. It's their next big Final Fantasy, something XIII-2 and perhaps XIII-3 will never be considered as such, both from S-E and gamers. You can start calling Versus FFXV, because that's what they're aiming for, titled like that or not.

Caelestis

Especially since afaik they are aware that FFXIII hasn't done very well for the brand's perception... or at least they are outside of Japan.

If they are aware, they could have gotten some new staff to work on it at least to show that they care like they did with 14.

Caelestis

Didn't tri-Ace do a lot of the work for XIII-2?

I was thinking more in terms of a new director or writer. Wasn't it that no one really knew about tri-ace until the game was out? That doesn't really put hope in people's mind.

Seda

I blame them.

I thought the gameplay was fine, it was the story/plot that was by far the weakest part of the game for me, which tri-Ace had nothing to do with.

Not that anybody at tri-Ace can seem to write a decent plot either.

Dunan

So after hearing this news I actually went out and bought the Ultimania Omega in question. I'm a sucker for good concept art, which is what the Omegas are usually filled with, plus I was looking forward to finally finding out what's written on the backs of our protagonists' costumes.

I've only had a brief chance to look at the book, but there's one secret thing in the game that really put a smile on my face. On pages 267 and 269, you can read about how, in one of the cutscenes featuring Lightning, they worked in some Etro writing that says TACHIAGARO ('stand up!') NIPPON, PRAY FOR JAPAN. They were developing this right as the terrible earthquake struck Sendai and Fukushima last March.

Perfo

So after hearing this news I actually went out and bought the Ultimania Omega in question. I'm a sucker for good concept art, which is what the Omegas are usually filled with, plus I was looking forward to finally finding out what's written on the backs of our protagonists' costumes.

I've only had a brief chance to look at the book, but there's one secret thing in the game that really put a smile on my face. On pages 267 and 269, you can read about how, in one of the cutscenes featuring Lightning, they worked in some Etro writing that says TACHIAGARO ('stand up!') NIPPON, PRAY FOR JAPAN. They were developing this right as the terrible earthquake struck Sendai and Fukushima last March.

Tell us more about the guide when you have the time please :p

Shahed

But they weren't responsible for the issues that remained in the game... (writing and story)...

Pretty much. That's where XIII-2 is a mess. I mean XIII wasn't brilliant by any means, it was okay, but XIII-2 was terrible.

Where XIII-2 did well was that the gameplay was improved and fixed many issues I had with the first game. The only real problem was that it was far too easy.

Perfo

Where XIII-2 did well was that the gameplay was improved and fixed many issues I had with the first game. The only real problem was that it was far too easy.

The gameplay was a mess... bad difficulty balance, plenty of mechanics without one being well developed, bad graphics, low framerate, archaic level design, atrocious puzzle games, stupid diversions, bad subquest design. In the end the most serious problem was the lack of a single coherent vision behind the whole project.

Final Fantasy XIII is a better game and has a better story. For me at least.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know!
Make it stop!
Make it all stop!
We need to take away his writing utensils and word processor! He can't write without those!

13-2 is the worst RPG I played this gen, if I see another fucking clock puzzle...
It's like they forgot what fun minigames/sidequests were. The only sidequest string that I really liked in FFXIII-2 was
the Vile Peaks one
, and that's because it used the game's base time travel mechanic to its advantage. Otherwise, the puzzles and minigames (and some of the dungeons) weren't very fun for me deal with, and sidequests in general became fetch quests or 'fight this monster here', which didn't take advantage of the time mechanic to my dismay..

Though, ah, I wouldn't say it's the worst RPG I've played this gen. No wait, Astonishia Story might fit that bill. No... wait, Tales of the Tempest... no... um... I'll get back to you on that. FFXIII-2 is far from the worst RPG I've played this gen. I think it's rather average, tbh. There's just a lot of stuff that I didn't like about it, and stuff that I sort of did/was okay with.

The gameplay was a mess... lack of coherence most of all, bad balance, plenty of mechanics without one being well developed, bad graphics, low framerate, bad level design, lack of a single vision behind it.

Generally speaking, I'm in agreement with parts of this.

Do they have anything on the Etro writing system in there?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The gameplay was a mess... bad difficulty balance, plenty of mechanics without one being well developed, bad graphics, low framerate, archaic level design, atrocious puzzle games, stupid diversions, bad subquest design. In the end the most serious problem was the lack of a single coherent vision behind the whole project.

I suppose that's what happens when you take a laundry list of fan complaints and try to fix each one of them while ignoring the own "identity" of your game.

Perfo

I suppose that's what happens when you take a laundry list of fan complaints and try to fix each one of them while ignoring the own "identity" of your game.

Exactly that, lack of identity. Good choice of words. I really hope with XIII-3 they simply get the best of the two and develop a coherent project within these.

Shahed

Well if you put it that way, I can see what you mean. I just found that I seemed to be enjoying actually playing XIII-2 more than I did XIII, even if the first is overall a better game. Just little things like being able to change leader, able to save/load paradigms, have the battle's be faster paced and getting rid of the annoying posing when switching paradigms.

Having read up on the FNC mythology, I find it quite interesting. Just a shame that XIII and XIII-2 did a terrible job of portraying it.

For those of you who have played Type-0, how well does it handle the story and the whole FNC aspect?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"You want towns? I'll give you a fucking town and arbitrary quiz exploration, you ungrateful punks! You don't insult the creative prowess of Lord Toriyama-sama just like that and get away with it!"

I said this before the game came out, but I always felt as thought they were just throwing everything they could into this game including the kitchen sink and the result just didn't seem cohesive in general. And when I played the game, that feeling was retained. The game truly did lack its own special sort of identity.

And in an effort to appeal to everyone, including those who thought that the original XIII was too difficult, they made the game way easier and added an Easy Mode... but didn't adjust the difficulty for those who were more than fine with the original XIII's difficulty. That's the thing that disappointed me the most. Fix the balancing and maybe I'll have fun with it, because after a while into XIII's late-postgame aside from killing turtles, I had fun with the game's battle system after going through and timing attack animations, syncing party+enemy attack animations, knowing when to Optima Change, learning about ATB cancel, etc. And the enemies in XIII put up a decent fight to boot. The incentive was there to think of different ways to take enemies down with defensive or offensive Optima sets after you've done it for the first time. In XIII-2 the incentive isn't there except for the possibility of a rare drop... which you don't really need.

That doesn't mean that stuff like Change Leader, removing that asinine camera pan+extra animations during an Optima Change, and loading/saving Optimae isn't welcome, because it totally is, but I just felt like CSB just wasn't supported at all in FFXIII-2 like it was in FFXIII. Difficulty, balance, and scaling enhances CSB. ...and I don't even like CSB all that much...

Edit: Hahaha, I'm always stuck at the bottom of the page. This is great.

Top Bottom