• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Can I have an update on what's been going on since the beginning of the week?

Also, finally bought SMG2, and it's been heartbreakingly perfect. For some reason it just leaves a better impression than the first, did anyone else find that?

Of course. 2 is the better game.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Too much tech talk. Will be nice to talk about "games" again

Here's a topic:

How do you think Pikmin 3 will control on the Gamepad? Miyamoto said the game's director has recently started to exclusively use e gamepad controls and NOA-Krista mentioned in that video interview posted yesterday that the gamepad controls are still being worked on, so wiimote controls won't be the only way to play the game.

Will they use the digital clicks? How will the cursor be controlled? With the same left-stick used for movement like the originals? Or will it be mapped to the right stick? Which would mean the throw and whistle commands would need to be mapped to the trigger buttons as the face buttons would be inaccessible with dual controls. And what about swarming? It's not in the wiimote scheme but would Nintendo program in swarming just for the pad controls?

The Boat

Gahiggidy I'm sorry but I won't post any photos of the power brick, it's nothing interesting though. It's bigger than Wii's I think, the input is 230V, 50 Hz, 0.9 A and the output is 15V, 5.0A. Obviously :p

Christine

Will they use the digital clicks? How will the cursor be controlled? With the same left-stick used for movement like the originals? Or will it be mapped to the right stick? Which would mean the throw and whistle commands would need to be mapped to the trigger buttons as the face buttons would be inaccessible with dual controls. And what about swarming? It's not in the wiimote scheme but would Nintendo program in swarming just for the pad controls?

Yes. Gyro. Yes. Right stick is camera. Yes. Swarming: yes.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gahiggidy I'm sorry but I won't post any photos of the power brick, it's nothing interesting though. It's bigger than Wii's I think, the input is 230V, 50 Hz, 0.9 A and the output is 15V, 5.0A. Obviously :p
Hey look, actual hard data!

So output is 75W, versus 44.4W for the Wii (12V * 3.7A). Interesting.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

For reals?

Here's a topic:

How do you think Pikmin 3 will control on the Gamepad? Miyamoto said the game's director has recently started to exclusively use e gamepad controls and NOA-Krista mentioned in that video interview posted yesterday that the gamepad controls are still being worked on, so wiimote controls won't be the only way to play the game.

You know, I never really thought about the possibility of using the right stick to control the cursor... but using the triggers to throw sounds weird. Maybe I'm just too used to the gamecube controls :p

Gahiggidy

Thank you!

How big did it look? Did it have a built in fan? In pics it looks to be close in size to the Xbox 360s power brick.

The Boat

Thank you!

How big did it look? Did it have a built in fan? In pics it looks to be close in size to the Xbox 360s power brick.

No built in fan, hard to say relatively speaking, but maybe slightly shorter than the 360's, maybe a bit bulkier? It's pretty much a souped up Wii brick.
EDIT: Maybe slightly more than half a Wii U in length.

USC-fan

Banned
Hey look, actual hard data!

So output is 75W, versus 44.4W for the Wii (12V * 3.7A). Interesting.

wii used about 15-19 watts BTW. link to wii power usage

Interesting... This fit in line with what I would expect. I think the wiiu will use around 35-50 watts. That is what I been saying all along.

". I believe Nintendo indended the GPU compute support to make up the difference for their weak CPU choice, however the CPU performance is so bad that devs would be required to refactor their entire engines to get stuff working on the GPU instead, and for many dev that would be impossible on their current project schedules." This is what he says. Not that it just has compute support. With the info that he has, this what he thinks nintendo is doing. And this from alberto http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39227871&postcount=4047. Now whether he is talking gpgpu or something im not sure.
You missed the "I believe.." part? You said "said that nitendo." He was guessing...

stupidvillager

Neo Member
THis is what I'm talking about..... It like a snowball...

"People that have said that nitendo is trying to offload some of the cpu work onto the gpu."

They never said anything like this.... This is how the rumor started and I have already posted this a couple pages ago.

-------

"Oh I know how it got "started" Im on beyond3d every day. Some people read things they dont understand and spin it into something its not.

"There are several reasons why people are concluding that the Wii U has a GPGPU:

1) Prophesy2k's post stated that the GPU has compute support

2) The "leaked" document of Wii U's dev kit stated "compute shader support." Other insiders has said that several pieces in this document matches the info that they have seen before.

3) The first two pieces of evidences are backed up by the anonymous developers that was complaining about the CPU. One of them even said "I suppose you don’t need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game." This info would make sense if the Wii U's GPU was suppose to handle physics instead of the CPU. If this is the case, the Wii U has a GPGPU."

----

They read into a dev saying "I suppose you don’t need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game." when complaining about the weak CPU. This in turn confirm the gpgpu. It really is mind boggling how these things gets twisted.

Now when it comes out the wiiu doesnt support these crazy thing. People use this to prove the wiiu sucks and is doomed. When it should never have been put out there. You are right about one thing, this is pointless....

". I believe Nintendo indended the GPU compute support to make up the difference for their weak CPU choice, however the CPU performance is so bad that devs would be required to refactor their entire engines to get stuff working on the GPU instead, and for many dev that would be impossible on their current project schedules." This is what he says. Not that it just has compute support. With the info that he has, this what he thinks nintendo is doing. And this from alberto http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39227871&postcount=4047. Now whether he is talking gpgpu or something im not sure.

Gahiggidy

For reference, the power brick for the TurboGrafx-CD was rated at 16.83 watts (11V * 1.53A), which was state of the art for its time:

1o2Wl.jpg

As a project, someone should out together a chart of the watts usage from all the consoles going back to the Atari days.

blu

wii used about 15-19 watts BTW. link to wii power usage

Interesting... This fit in line with what I would expect. I think the wiiu will use around 35-50 watts. That is what I been saying all along.
A 50W nominal load sounds reasonable for this rating of the power supply.

Ryoku

Can you run games like 1313 and Watch Dogs on 35-50 watts?

Watch_Dogs, yes. 1313? I have no clue.
My reasoning for Watch_Dogs is this: It was revealed to be a PS360 game (maybe Wii U, maybe not). Wii U is more powerful than PS360. Wii U should be able to handle Watch_Dogs. It just seems to be a very efficient machine, power-usage-wise. PS2 uses what--50 watts on load? And Wii is clearly more powerful than a PS2, but uses a fraction of its power. Nintendo seriously knows how to make efficient machines.

USC-fan

Banned
Can you run games like 1313 and Watch Dogs on 35-50 watts?

Maybe at sub hd levels with some features turned off and 2d only the second screen.

But this is how most AAA games have been on the ps360. COD/ bf3 for example run at sub HD res I believe and some features turn off.

The wiiu will run these games better than the ps360 if that means anything.

antonz

ugh I am so bad at saving money. Just spent 970 dollars on a computer monitor/tv

edit: to make Wii U related will be great for my Wii U

VerTiGo

Banned
Does the 3DS XL come with the charging cradle? If so, it would be nice if Nintendo made the cradle the XL compatible with the Wii U tablet. Makes sense... to me at least.

blu

Went into best buy and they had a 47" LG online sale at $893 while instore it was onsale for $1299 from the usual 1749 and couldnt resist
No harm, I say, as long as your wife would not mind ; )

nordique

Hurry change the topic. Loving it... Next you will want clock speeds and stuff no one knows about. At least it havent been leaked...

I dont need you to do anything for me. thanks for playing...

USC,

What blu said in this post

Almost as funny as seeing you running around shouting 'Wuu is dx10.1' based on nothing but some absolutely rudimentary R700 ballpark-level specs from a preliminary spec sheet which says nothing about the shader model or dx10.1 compliance.

Still holds true

Gahiggidy

Does the 3DS XL come with the charging cradle? If so, it would be nice if Nintendo made the cradle the XL compatible with the Wii U tablet. Makes sense... to me at least.

I don't like cradles. I'd rather have a robotic snake-cable that crawls out from under the tv stand and hooks up your gamepad to charge while you are out of the room.

blu

Needless to say the TV is still hiding in the car
Well, you can tell her you've got a young cuttie in the back seat of the car, then preempt with a 'Honey, I'm kidding, it's just a 47" TV' ;p

I don't like cradles. I'd rather have a robotic snake-cable that craws out from under the tv stand and hooks up your gamepad to charge while you are out of the room.

This is strangely... arousing... not to mention expensive ;)

But seriously, I too would welcome some innovation in this department. I remember someone in the gaming section wondering why some sort of universal inductive charging station doesn't exist. I'm sure there are issues, but I would not hesitate to purchase something like a coffee table that charged my devices. Would be perfect for all types of controllers, including the gamepad.

Aren't you worried about the quality of cross platform games tho.

Look at the difference of early PS3 cross platform games compared to the 360's and those consoles are about on the same power level.

A console that is at worst 5 times weaker is really going to get poor looking versions and as time goes on in the generation and we reach the second half of it (2017 - 2020) i fear Wii U might get separate versions using different engines like the original Wii and eventually none at all.[/quote]

First where are you getting 5x weaker from even as an extreme? Second Wii U's successor will be out during the time you are mentioning.

I think Star Wars 1313 will be the biggest telling point (a next gen launch game that uses the latest version of UE3), if Wii U gets that then we can rest easy on how far the hardware can be pushed.

That would still depend on where it would be ported from.

Dx shows a certain feature set.

Again as I said many people take this quote to mean the wiiu support dx11 and it said nothing like that. He was talking about running ue4. There is no such thing as dx9/dx11 combo. Its clear the guy was trying to makeit easy for the readers to understand. Wuu supports dx10.1.

Dx11 is the new gpgpu... lol too funny.

Where are you getting UE4 from? They said Samaritan and Star Wars 1313 and those aren't UE4. They were talking about UE3 advancements that use DX11. And that from a raw power standpoint could be handled by weaker GPUs as long as they had the necessary DX11 features. And if you look at the full context of the sentence (which I underlined) they went back to the CPU being the issue, not the GPU to reach that potential.

And if Wii U supports DX11-level features, then of course it would support DX10.1 features. ;)

You guys are really optimistic.

I have one question: If Wii U is powerful enough to get all these "nerfed" ports from PS4/720 games... why the fuck is NSMB U running in 720p? If the Wii U can't even run that simple ass game in 1080p, I'm afraid to think of how the next gen games will run on the thing.

IMO, a rushed attempt to have a first party title out at launch. NSMB should be one of the last things you judge the console's hardware by.

So, WUSTies, what do you think: how long before we get an indie game that uses two pads stuck on a hat as an improvised VR helmet?

The lawsuits will be glorious.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSrmClRHaiMl_saJUKa2ikyyo-Olc46M65_OEVDq0fOPZU7KLgBF1IvSI-_.jpg

Gahiggidy

This is strangely... arousing... not to mention expensive ;)

But seriously, I too would welcome some innovation in this department. I remember someone in the gaming section wondering why some sort of universal inductive charging station doesn't exist. I'm sure there are issues, but I would not hesitate to purchase something like a coffee table that charged my devices. Would be perfect for all types of controllers, including the gamepad.

Yeah, something as simple as the "break-away" magnetic power connectors Apple laptops use would be very convenient. I don't know why that isn't in wider use; perhaps the magnets interfere with cellphone electronics?

japtor

I have yet to see anything smart glass really does with games. It is like psp support with ps3. They show all this stuff at e3 back in the day and none of it happen.
It sounds like SmartGlass works through HTML and JavaScript...so I expect the possibilities to be somewhat limited. Decently fancy stuff should be possible although I wonder how many devs will bother.
Yeah, something as simple as the "break-away" magnetic power connectors Apple laptops use would be very convenient. I don't know why that isn't in wider use; perhaps the magnets interfere with cellphone electronics?
Patents...although that isn't to say that they couldn't be designed around in some way.

The Boat

Here is another shot with the power brick visible...

This, according to "We Dadkodte", is from an event in Portugal:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150900799061272.410299.357582271271&type=1

Also, here is a shot of what looks like a hub-area of the Nintendoland Zelda attraction:

Yep this is where I was.
EDIT: The Power brick isn't that white thing though, that's an extension cord thingie :p I can post a pic of it from afar, just not the close up. Gimme a few minutes.
EDIT 2:
It's the grey thing on the bottom left. It's at an angle and in a mess of cables, but you can make it out.

EDIT3: And that isn't a hub, it's just the small presentation video flying over the level.

USC-fan

Banned
Where are you getting UE4 from? They said Samaritan and Star Wars 1313 and those aren't UE4. They were talking about UE3 advancements that use DX11. And that from a raw power standpoint could be handled by weaker GPUs as long as they had the necessary DX11 features. And if you look at the full context of the sentence (which I underlined) they went back to the CPU being the issue, not the GPU to reach that potential.

And if Wii U supports DX11-level features, then of course it would support DX10.1 features.

The same article. " Our Direct-X-comparing insider considers UE4 as requiring Direct X 11 performance and capabilities, a standard beyond Nintendo's new device."

The same article. " Our Direct-X-comparing insider considers UE4 as requiring Direct X 11 performance and capabilities, a standard beyond Nintendo's new device."

But that part wasn't associated with the section we were discussing. That's what was throwing me off about you continually bringing up UE4. It wasn't relevant to what we were talking about.

As for the UE4 section, the problem is with the way the article is either wrote or how their source is explaining it.

According to them.

Wii U - DX9 performance/DX11 capabilities

PS4/Xbox 3 - DX11 performance/DX11 capabilities

(Most) Everyone knows DX11 is an API and talks about features. For some reason they are using it for performance as well which we know that makes no sense. The most likely explanation is that it's talking about the raw power of the GPU and that person is saying Nintendo doesn't have the raw power it believes is necessary for UE4. We already have Sweeney saying otherwise unless he misspoke in that interview.

It said "Direct X 11 performance and capabilities." It is awkward that the article is using Direct X as some rating on how powerful the system is, as it doesn't work that way (example: ipad vs 360/PS3). In either case, the article stated that the Wii U was apparently Direct X9 "performance", but Direct x11 "capabilities". Going by the author's way of phrasing this concept, it is basically saying that even though the Wii U is not very powerful, it has direct X11 features.

Edit: bgassassin was faster than me. :)

Earendil

Greetings everyone, yet another junior here. I've been following the WUSTs since the very first one and I am excited that I finally get to join in. I promise to play nice with all the other kids.

Regarding the whole DX9 performance/DX11 features thing, what does that even mean? It seems to me like someone who didn't exactly know what he was talking about, but tried to sound like he did. I would think that someone with a technical background would have worded that quite a bit better.

But that's just me.

USC-fan

Banned
But that part wasn't associated with the section we were discussing. That's what was throwing me off about you continually bringing up UE4. It wasn't relevant to what we were talking about.

As for the UE4 section, the problem is with the way the article is either wrote or how their source is explaining it.

According to them.

Wii U - DX9 performance/DX11 capabilities

PS4/Xbox 3 - DX11 performance/DX11 capabilities

(Most) Everyone knows DX11 is an API and talks about features. For some reason they are using it for performance as well which we know that makes no sense. The most likely explanation is that it's talking about the raw power of the GPU and that person is saying Nintendo doesn't have the raw power it believes is necessary for UE4. We already have Sweeney saying otherwise unless he misspoke in that interview.
I agree the article garage click bait.

Edit. Did you catch we got the power brick specs. It a 75w brick.

If they follow the wii it would be about 35-40w. At 66% which is about Max it would be 50watts power usage.

tkscz

Greetings everyone, yet another junior here. I've been following the WUSTs since the very first one and I am excited that I finally get to join in. I promise to play nice with all the other kids.

Regarding the whole DX9 performance/DX11 features thing, what does that even mean? It seems to me like someone who didn't exactly know what he was talking about, but tried to sound like he did. I would think that someone with a technical background would have worded that quite a bit better.

But that's just me.

It kind of sounds like they are trying to say it supports OpenGL ES 2.0. GLES 2.0, IIRC , supports features from OpenGL 4.1 and up, at the same time, GLES 2.0 is what the PS3 uses. So GLES is like DX9 with DX11 features?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom