• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

ultron87

Microsoft is actively selling a console RIGHT NOW that won't let you play Halo 4 multiplayer without buying add-on memory. I shouldn't need to update my console just to play a game, especially from a first party developer.

Well they have always been selling a console that won't let you play multiplayer without a yearly subscription so this doesn't really seem particularly more heinous.

FyreWulff

Again, how is that different from some Vita games requiring a memory stick?

It's not, as they're both shady bullshit.

Well they have always been selling a console that won't let you play multiplayer without a yearly subscription so this doesn't really seem particularly more heinous.

Yeah, but that's a service. This is an actual entire part of the game. You don't need Gold to use the entire featureset of Halo 3, ODST, or Reach.

Microsoft is actively selling a console RIGHT NOW that won't let you play Halo 4 multiplayer without buying add-on memory. I shouldn't need to update my console just to play a game, especially from a first party developer.

Again, the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask would even boot unless the user bought extra hardware. Not seeing how this is a new issue unique to just the 360. In fact it is mostly first party developers who break the rules first.

FyreWulff

Again, the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask would even boot unless the user bought extra hardware. Not seeing how this is a new issue unique to just the 360.

Yeah, and that decision demonstrated to Nintendo how stupid it was and they never tried making people upgrade their console again.

Again, the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask would even boot unless the user bought extra hardware. Not seeing how this is a new issue unique to just the 360.

I guess all three are prone to such "bullshit" from time to time. Who knew. Let's stop buying all consoles, and while we're at it, let's stop buying PCs as well cause you'll need to upgrade sooner or later.

Or let's accept the fact that if you want to keep seeing better experiences years after the launch, you may need to make additional investments, especially if you were stingy when buying the console. Or you can just ignore those few games.

Jobacca

Neo Member
The people that don't follow games enough will be disappointed. Unless the market it enough so that people are aware that they need the 8 gb.

Orayn

Rockin' a 160GB HDD from the first wave of Xbox 360 Elites here... I've got about half a dozen game installs, plenty of map packs and tens of gigs to spare.

The big install is unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected at this point.

This doesn't really bother me as I have a 120GB HDD but I can see how this could be annoying to those with just a 20GB HDD. However, if you don't even have ANY hard drive then I don't feel too bad because most likely you weren't a 'core' gamer in the sense that you ever intended to buy Halo 4.

Also, I am okay with Microsoft having this hardware requirement. This will be the 7th. holiday season for the Xbox 360 and if this is what they need to do to keep ensuring the games get better (better textures/more content) then I am okay with it. The 9GB limit on disks is certainly an issue. My only question is: do I need to have a separate 8GB install if I always intended to just install the entire game to my hard drive regardless?

Whoa, too bad for the 20GB HDD people - especially since the 20GB is really 13GB of usable space. I'd still have a 20 if my friend hadn't hacked in a 120 for me 'way back.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuck that. I wont be buying it. Im still rocking the 20GB, and will not upgrade for any reason.

kitzkozan

All over my 250GB harddrive.

The time has come for me to upgrade for an Xbox 360 slim with the 250GB HDD. I'm still on the old 20GB drive and I don't even have 1GB of space left. I deleted a lot of stuff, but I just can't keep up any longer. Can't install the New Vegas DLC or the new endings for ME3. The time has come to ditch the old 360 (which is still running after 6 years) .

Dyno

Looks like my launch 360 with it's 20gb hard drive will become an All-Halo box. Or maybe I should get one of those funky ones as part of a deal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah, and that decision demonstrated to Nintendo how stupid it was and they never tried making people upgrade their console again.

Ehhh they've been straying. Wii Motion Plus and Circle Pad Pro remind me of that old expansion pack. Not as exclusive but certainly potentially significant upgrades.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's not ideal, but the actual gameplay experience will be much smoother as a result and some of the things we're doing are only possible with this requirement. I am surprised to hear you don't have a HDD Fyre, the numbers would suggest you're a very rare edge case - a serious Forge/Map creator with XBL and no HDD.

CamHostage

Damm.

I don't mind installing as I have lots of room on my HD but for people rocking smaller HD's or none at all.

Actually, the USB stick option seems an incredibly viable option (or does Microsoft only allow Xbox-brand memory?) I too am constantly fighting to find space on my hard drive, but USB memory is insanely cheap these days, and if all it takes is a swap of a $5 Best Buy throw-away stick (sure would be nice if MS had a package that included one, actually...) and I'm good to go even for insanely large installs, I'd be cool with that. It's finding space on the disc drive, even a massive disc drive (if you can afford one,) when I have all these games on there that I don't trust to delete and re-download, that's where you run into the growing pains of current console gaming.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can you say if MP means Spartan Ops or War Games?

Absolutely both. We have been clear on this since day one. Spartan Ops in particular will be delivering content to your Xbox via Live.

Let me be 100% clear, this is not an attempt to get you to upgrade to an HDD. The numbers affected are quite small and we went to significant effort to ensure this worked on a (relatively) cheap 8 Gig USB stick (and to the point in the post above, ANY stick that meets the speed and reliability minimums, absolutely NOT just MS branded media) for the odd case where someone had XBL and no storage. This is entirely in service of a good experience in the game.

FyreWulff

It's not ideal, but the actual gameplay experience will be much smoother as a result and some of the things we're doing are only possible with this requirement. I am surprised to hear you don't have a HDD Fyre, the numbers would suggest you're a very rare edge case - a serious Forge/Map creator with XBL and no HDD.

No, I have an HDD. I didn't realize I had to be something to talk about why I don't like it.

I am an rare edge case though. A player that actually bought all of Reach's DLC.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No, I have an HDD. I didn't realize I had to be something to talk about why I don't like it.

I am an rare edge case though. A player that actually bought all of Reach's DLC.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh snap!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The 4GB console is not marketed towards the hardcore players. Isn't it still branded "arcade?" It is meant for people playing mostly XBLA games.

If you are a hardcore player and bought a 4GB Xbox, that's your deal. There are better options available.

Zaptruder

Banned
This whole discussion makes me think, just how goddamn hilarious it is that I have after all these years a 2.5" HDD that only has 20GB on it. It's closer to the density ratio of a floppy disk than it is a modern flash drive/SD card.

EagleBurn

Banned
The 4GB console is not marketed towards the hardcore players. Isn't it still branded "arcade?" It is meant for people playing mostly XBLA games.

If you are a hardcore player and bought a 4GB Xbox, that's your deal. There are better options available.

Yeah, anyone who bought an Arcade thinking 4GB would support any core gaming is kind of sad...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
that's one way to get people to buy new hard drives. microsoft is going to be making a lot more money from Halo 4 than just Halo 4 sales.

Seeing people make a big deal over needing a ~$10 flash drive seems to strange to me. If you never cared about Halo before then I doubt you would have bought Halo 4 so those are just empty threats. But, if you are a fan of the Halo series and WERE going to buy the game till you discovered you first needed to buy a $10 flash drive then I start to be confused.

Deadstar

This is great news. If it makes the game look better and run faster I'm all for it. This isn't 2006 anymore, games don't take up just a few gigs.

Top Bottom