• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Chairhome

Don't know if anyone has done this, but here are LINKS to most of the DLC songs released so far in NA. The only one I couldn't find was "Fighting Fate", so I just included a link to the song. Figured this would help anyone thinking about the DLC since there are no previews in the store. Props to "Olainette" on youtube for posting most of these. Maybe we could add this to the OP?

1. “Battle Theme 1” (FINAL FANTASY II)
2. “The Final Battle” (FINAL FANTASY IV)
3. “Fighters of the Crystal” (FINAL FANTASY XI)
4. “Fighting Fate” (FINAL FANTASY XIII)
5. “In Search of Light” (FINAL FANTASY V)
6. “Cosmo Canyon” (FINAL FANTASY VII)
7. “Ride On” (FINAL FANTASY VIII)
8. “A Fleeting Dream” (FINAL FANTASY X)

Defunkled

Finally, my copy from Amazon has arrived! Albeit, three days after the estimated delivery date. Not sure if I should send in a complaint or not. Amazon has never been late on a delivery before so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

matthwq

Banned
Am I too much of a fanboy if I got goosebumps and even a little tear in my eye during some segments?
It really feels like the perfect anniversary title, because it makes me want to play the FF games again.

Seriously teared up during the Aeris theme. Final Fantasy VII was the first game to make an impact on me in an emotional way, and Theatrhythm really brought some of those feelings back.

laika09

Don't know if anyone has done this, but here are LINKS to most of the DLC songs released so far in NA. The only one I couldn't find was "Fighting Fate", so I just included a link to the song. Figured this would help anyone thinking about the DLC since there are no previews in the store. Props to "Olainette" on youtube for posting most of these. Maybe we could add this to the OP?

Square-Enix has a list of previews on their Japanese site as well (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/t_ff/musiclist.html#musiclist_2-16). Our first DLC set is the same as the February 16th one in Japan.

Heropon

I'm trying to beat many dark notes now that my characters are low level. My Bartz, Firion, Cloud, Zidane party is unstoppable and always gets a shard. I'm so proud of my boys!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Torn.

Love FF music and especially the older games. Hate this genre of game, and could not at all get into games like Elite Beat Agents or Gitaroo man.

Unsure to buy.

You should buy it if you love FF music just because I bet this game will be rare in a few years.

Kazerei

Banned

Thanks. So far I've bought Battle Theme 1 (FFII) and Ride On (FFVIII). Both songs are upbeat and really fun to play!

zroid

Banned

On it.

Bumhead

Banned
This game is.. incredible. Im absolutely hooked.

Really hope they introduce DLC characters, too. I would be as inclined to buy them as I am extra tracks.

Is there a way to calibrate in this game? Some of videos look as though the notes are slightly off.

No, but off-sync notes are very few and far between. The worst offenders I've found have been a couple of the DLC songs, so there aren't very many instances of off-sync notes in the songs that are included in the game.

Can someone explain to me why sometimes I will get 5000+ exp for a song on Ultimate, play the same song again, score better than last time and only get 1000+ exp?

I have been wondering this exact same thing. I wonder if the metrics used to calculate EXP (other than difficulty level) are more random than not.

Stupid question, but as someone who has never played a FF game, I'm being cautious. Is any of the music orchestrated, or is it all 8/16 bit music? The latter would be kinda disappointing for me.

The vast majority of the music is ripped right from the game it comes from. So for FF I-III that means 8-bit music, for FF IV-VI that means 16-bit music, for FF VII-IX that means PS1 music, FF X gets its original PS2 music, and FF XI-XIII are all orchestrated. The game is much better for this decision, too -- having arranged versions instead of the originals wouldn't have been nearly as fun or charming.

This game is so much nostalgia overload for the games I've played...

But I'm going to blaspheme a little now: One Winged Angel should NOT have been the FF7 battle song. Both the regular battle song (Those Who Fight) and the boss song (Those Who Fight Further) would have been better. One Winged Angel should have been an unlockable... and hard as nails, too.

I'm right there with you -- I'll go so far as to say that One-Winged Angel is an overrated song to begin with. I also feel the same way about FF X's BMS choice -- Fight With Seymour is a good song, but the cut of it in this game leaves out its best parts. At the same time, I feel that both the battle theme and the boss theme would have been much better BMS choices for FF X.

Ladies, please, they need to get FFX-2 out there first. Real Emotion yo.

Absolutely! And more FF XIII-2 -- I'm glad we've got "Warriors of the Goddess" coming as DLC, but Theatrhythm needs more XIII-2 love. That game has a fantastic soundtrack. "Full Speed Ahead" would be so fun it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

For the same reason that taking down a charging elephant with a chain gun is less impressive than taking it down naked, I suppose.

Except that none of the items or abilities in the game relax the timing window or make it easier to get Criticals, so again, using them shouldn't lock you out of getting SS or SSS grades.

You shouldn't be missing any gameplay. Unequip items and skills for challenge and series mode. Turn them back on when you play dark notes since dark notes are all about killing enemies instead of getting high scores. That's the way you're supposed to experience both sides.

That doesn't account for not being able to play the Extended Versions of the EMSes, since those don't appear in the Chaos Shrine.

I'll definitely buy Locke.

Locke is already in the game as an unlockable character. :)

pariah164

I love this game. <3 I was expecting it to be frustrating, and some are, but the more I practice the better I get. I'm now thoroughly enjoying the game.

Bururian

Yeah I've got the swipes now. The trick is to do a very small controlled motion, not a wide flick.

Swipes at the end of slides still tick me off, but they're not as '3DS tossing' as they were before.

What gets me about the flicks at times is when you're doing a hold that has you moving up and down a lot, and at the end of the hold, there's a swipe that's the opposite on the way you're moving your stylus. That has gotten me more than anything else.

Teknoman

Wait, so Fighting Fate is in the game? Awesome. Better fight an SD Barthandeus. Now I kinda wish XIII-2 was covered so Worlds Collide or Limit Break could be included. X-2 as well just for completion sake.

You practically have to go into trance mode (lol) in order to complete some of the more challenging sets.

TheGrue

So, let's say I put together a party and get to the third boss on a Dark Note. What's the best way to try to get the lesser bosses? Is it just not doing as well, equipping lesser equipment, or using lower level party members?

Pangya

I have been wondering this exact same thing. I wonder if the metrics used to calculate EXP (other than difficulty level) are more random than not.

I believe exp earned in BMS is based on the difficulty of the level along with how many monsters you defeat in that level.

I just did a test on Dancing Mad on Ultimate difficulty:

Lvl 1 party
2 monsters killed (didn't finish off boss Kefka)
2595 exp gained

Lvl 70-87 party
5 monsters killed (including boss Kefka)
6777 exp gained

Pangya

So, let's say I put together a party and get to the third boss on a Dark Note. What's the best way to try to get the lesser bosses? Is it just not doing as well, equipping lesser equipment, or using lower level party members?

Set your party leader as someone with low AGI so you don't pass the "Boss 2 or 3" sign if you just want to fight boss 1. To get to boss 2, I'm not sure what the requirements are. I know about halfway to 3/4 of the song a notice pops up under your HP bar that tells you which boss you will face, so I'm guessing your performance up to that point determines if you get to boss 2 or 3.

teeny

The only Final Fantasy I have ever played is XIII (I know), but ordered this today based on the demo alone. Also thinking about picking up other games in the series.

The impressions and chatter in this thread have me excited, shame it wont arrive til Monday.

I believe exp earned in BMS is based on the difficulty of the level along with how many monsters you defeat in that level.

I just did a test on Dancing Mad on Ultimate difficulty:

Lvl 1 party
2 monsters killed (didn't finish off boss Kefka)
2595 exp gained

Lvl 70-87 party
5 monsters killed (including boss Kefka)
6777 exp gained

Ah, this is really helpful info. Thanks!

McNum

Well, this is the second time today my 3DS went to blinking red battery charge. Should probably let it recharge now. Fun game.

Managed to hit 10,000rn, and clear all the Series stages, so that's nice. Unlocking all the characters is going to take a long while, though... I take it that the higher level characters, the easier they have killing bosses? I got a Judge who drops silver and yellow shards, but it's 50/50 if I defeat him. It actually helps to deliberately miss the summon so I get more time against the boss.

Kazerei

Banned
Well, this is the second time today my 3DS went to blinking red battery charge. Should probably let it recharge now. Fun game.

Managed to hit 10,000rn, and clear all the Series stages, so that's nice. Unlocking all the characters is going to take a long while, though... I take it that the higher level characters, the easier they have killing bosses? I got a Judge who drops silver and yellow shards, but it's 50/50 if I defeat him. It actually helps to deliberately miss the summon so I get more time against the boss.

Yeah, I've got a team of level 99s that just destroy enemies on low level dark notes.

And I have a question. I'm looking for white, navy, black, purple, and gold shards. Do they only appear in dark notes above a certain level, or are they just rare? If anyone has found a dark note with one of these colors, please let me know. BTW, I have level 33 dark note that drops rainbow shards.

McNum

Yeah, I've got a team of level 99s that just destroy enemies on low level dark notes.

And I have a question. I'm looking for white, navy, black, purple, and gold shards. Do they only appear in dark notes above a certain level, or are they just rare? If anyone has found a dark note with one of these colors, please let me know. BTW, I have level 33 dark note that drops rainbow shards.
Ah, great. I'll just run some of my favorite characters on a few Expert challenges to rack up some levels and come back when everyone is 30-ish.

I assume that when you have higher level characters, you can pretty much powerlevel lower level ones by sticking them on the team?

I'm using Terra, Cecil, Cloud, and Zidane at the moment. Zidane was supposed to be the field guy, but Terra is quicker and luckier than him a the moment, so she takes point. Should I swap out Zidane for someone else? Or will he get Steal soon?

rpmurphy

Yeah I've got the swipes now. The trick is to do a very small controlled motion, not a wide flick.
Yeah, the tutorial tells you specifically not to flick, but I think it's hard to understand what that means until you start to do the controlled motions. The elongated stylus is a real benefit to this, since you can really control it better using a pen-hold.

Also, 3D I found for me is a huge benefit, as the note stream is pushed to the foreground.

This game is.. incredible. Im absolutely hooked.

Really hope they introduce DLC characters, too. I would be as inclined to buy them as I am extra tracks.
If each character came with a song and they were the right price, I'd be all over that too.

Though this series has sequel potential written all over it, so they'll probably hold off until the next game.

TheGrue

So, let's see if I have this right:

Strength and Magic basically used to fight BMS and determine physical and magic attack strength

Agility used for FMS to help get along the path quicker

Luck....actually, not sure what Luck is for...item drops?

Also, party leader is whose AGI it goes by or if you miss and it switches out to another party member, does that member now use his/her AGI?

It's kind of neat that a rhythm game has this much depth. :)

Edit: Oh, one more thing.....I have unlocked things that say there are more options in the Proficard, but I don't actually see new options opened. I've done it twice. Anyone know what changes there?

Top Bottom