• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up: Interview with Kazuma Kujo over leaving Irem

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.1up.com/features/kazuma-kujo-interview-keeping-irem

Some pretty interesting stuff here.

At the moment, we're planning a title for the PlayStation 3 and for the PlayStation Vita.

I definitely want to make games that I've always wanted to make. But, I think we'll be making both and we're always mindful of what's popular. In addition, we will definitely be making disaster-themed games like the one we couldn't finish at Irem. We will, of course, show respect to the victims of the disaster but we will release a disaster game in the next two or three years. That's why we made this company. To do something we could no longer do at Irem.

1UP: Can you talk about the cancellation of Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4?

Kujo: Well, one thing was that the development of the game was behind schedule. This is something that the business side of Irem and I both agreed and I have no problems with this decision, but there was no way we could have released the title after that event in March. So, we discussed, well, can we release it three months from now? Six months? There was no way we could decide on something like that after the earthquake. We also couldn't continue to tell the press and public that we were working on a title that we couldn't set a release date to. So, our only option was to cancel the title. That's what was discussed and decided between management at Irem and myself. After seeing the effects of the earthquake and tsunami, it just became impossible to set a release date for that title.

More at the link.

It's great to hear from him, and I do understand his hesitation to release the title. So glad to see they will be getting back to some disaster games, I love Raw Danger and the others. I'd love to see a port of Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 on Vita or something.

klee123

I really do hope Kujo somehow is able to get the ZZT and Steambot IPs back from Irem. Heck if he can't do it, just give them new names.

I definitely would have loved to play ZZT4, it's a damn shame it got cancelled.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I definitely want to make games that I've always wanted to make. But, I think we'll be making both and we're always mindful of what's popular. In addition, we will definitely be making disaster-themed games like the one we couldn't finish at Irem. We will, of course, show respect to the victims of the disaster but we will release a disaster game in the next two or three years. That's why we made this company. To do something we could no longer do at Irem.

This is encouraging to hear!

I am getting ready to import Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 and Disaster: Day of Crisis fairly soon.

I love this little sub-genre!

atomsk

Party Pooper
I will buy any game they put out, on whatever platform it happens to be on.

I even own Blokus Club (on PS2 and PSP) because of the Steambot stuff.

Lain

Nice interview. I loved Steambot, so 2's cancellation was really disappointing, but it's nice to read that they started their new company to keep making those games we like. I'll be looking forward to what they'll bring out.

bjork

I was under the impression that Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 had already gone gold, but apparently I misread somewhere.

GhaleonQ

I've been complimenting 1-Up a lot lately, but now I have to do it again. From this Irem superfan, thanks for posting! *goes to read*

grendelrt

Finding out Hudson and Irem are no longer making games are my biggest upsetting moments this gen. Truly sad stuff. I look forward to seeing what they come up with at the new company.

grendelrt

I want my next gen R-Type :(

I know a lot of people didnt care for R-Type Final, but it was one of my favorite games last gen. Collecting all those ships and finding all the alternate paths in stages was so much damn fun. Ill keep that game forever.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Great interview.
I always like letting Japanese developers that there are lots of fans in the West who appreciate their work. Especially for these kinds of titles.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This is encouraging to hear!

I am getting ready to import Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 and Disaster: Day of Crisis fairly soon.

I love this little sub-genre!

I've never played any of the ZZT games, but I get the impression that they're at least trying to be a little bit realistic, whereas Day of Crisis is completely ridiculous all the time.

Glad I'm not the only weirdo who immensely enjoyed Steambot Chronicles ! (I hated the one on PSP though). What I'd give for a game with the same concept !

It's still disappointing, if understandable, that ZZT 4 was cancelled, but it's great to hear that they have another disaster game coming and also that they're supporting Vita.

I just don't understand why they could have given a percentage of ZZT 4 sales to a relief fund. You get to release the game, make money on it (hopefully), and you avoid the PR problem.

I wonder just how far behind schedule it was...

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm reading the article now, like I should have already done before posting! What a shitty situation. I'm glad Kujo is somewhere now he can make the games he wants to make.

In light of the creation of Granzella, it's heartening to realize ZZT and even Steambot Chronicles are games that never really needed to be tied to a specific IP to be a success. I really hope we get to see spiritual successors to both series.

Glad I'm not the only weirdo who immensely enjoyed Steambot Chronicles ! (I hated the one on PSP though). What I'd give for a game with the same concept !

Dude, Steambot Chronicles is one of the best games on the PS2, IMO. It's one of my favorites for sure. Outside of the horrific vocal songs, there's nothing about it I don't like. It KILLS me that we won't get another one.

randomwab

Strangely enough, I replayed both SOS and Raw Danger last weekend and was just this week lamenting the fact that ZZT4 was cancelled. It's fantastic to hear that, while we probably won't see ZZT4, we'll probably be seeing some form of spiritual successor.

This thread is also making me want to try out Steambot Chronicles. Guess I should order it.

Coxy

In light of the creation of Granzella, it's heartening to realize ZZT and even Steambot Chronicles are games that never really needed to be tied to a specific IP to be a success. I really hope we get to see spiritual successors to both series.

Indeed, it's not like Bumpy Trot is such an utterly fantastic brand name they need, I really hope to see another one at some point, I was looking forward to the PS3 game for years

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I've never played any of the ZZT games, but I get the impression that they're at least trying to be a little bit realistic, whereas Day of Crisis is completely ridiculous all the time.

Thank you. This is a good heads up on what to expect. But I do not think you can dissuade me from following this path of folly.

First, I have to get an extra Wii to homebrew, to play that Fatal Frame IV I bought, so getting Day of Crisis is like a foregone conclusion after that.

Top Bottom