• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

muu

It grants 100% melee counter when you're soloing, so people are AFKing in front of Aloe Onis with a staff out and the skill turned on 'cause they only melee and call for friends.

just checked out the video in question:

http://nicoviewer.net/sm18576058

If you view the vid the stance lasts about a minute and costs 8MP each. Can't AFK, and hope you kill all the mobs before you run out of MP! Not to mention, in between stances you're open to get hit.

1 out of 3 times or so the guy that filmed this probably gets killed either from running out of MP (you have to use a turn to use any MP healing items, during which you'll get hit enough times to die) or getting hit too many times between stances. If you still think this is OP, I'd bet they'll lower block/counter chance on multiple mobs within days.

extralite

Thanks for the offer. I will text you when I do.

Liking the game a lot so far, especially graphically. I had problems with the OverPlay connection though during the registration steps and was logged out. I hope that won't happen during a quest.

Aeana

Since I hit 15 and had some medals, I went to go see the medal king. Naturally, there was a quest to do, but it was really interesting. I like how they send you to different parts of the world, so you're kinda forced to see what the other places are like.

When I finished it, I talked to the king and...

ibrbP3DJgpMGfW.jpg

zomg. You can buy a zoomstone for 3 medals! Wait, I have 3 medals!

ivH9wvdlLjyc4.jpg

Yess, now I have two stones that I can set to different locations.

StuBurns

Banned
The comments on the 8-4 podcast today made me super excited for the game, they really sell it as a normal DQ, just with lots of people wondering around. Now the wait begins for the Western announcement.

The comments on the 8-4 podcast today made me super excited for the game, they really sell it as a normal DQ, just with lots of people wondering around. Now the wait begins for the Western announcement.

I hope NOA and NOE realize just how wonderful this game would be for a newly launched Wii U. It would really show people that Nintendo is doing things a bit different this time having an MMO on their system.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Btw Forever did you see the Q/A thing I had done on page 9. Perhaps add some of those to the OTs FAQ?

Or more like have a bunch of common questions and will just get them answered so we dont see the same things asked over and over again lol

Mandoric

Banned
just checked out the video in question:

http://nicoviewer.net/sm18576058

If you view the vid the stance lasts about a minute and costs 8MP each. Can't AFK, and hope you kill all the mobs before you run out of MP! Not to mention, in between stances you're open to get hit.

1 out of 3 times or so the guy that filmed this probably gets killed either from running out of MP (you have to use a turn to use any MP healing items, during which you'll get hit enough times to die) or getting hit too many times between stances. If you still think this is OP, I'd bet they'll lower block/counter chance on multiple mobs within days.

Ahh, so it's not quite as bad as I had... bragged to me at. :v Still, it seems like it's due to get a cut activation chance or something.

Parakeetman

Yeah Ill take a look at it and see whats going on with price and location.

This explains why I saw some folks running around with odd looking emblems on their shields lol

Ahh, so it's not quite as bad as I had... bragged to me at. :v Still, it seems like it's due to get a cut activation chance or something.

This looks like something a very bored person would do. But got to admit for a 6 minute bit of mind numbing work that is a decent amount of exp. Though yeah its not exactly the most useful skill besides soloing, since there is no standard hate generation therefore it would be hard to make use of this skill in a group as you cant get enemies to be focused on you constantly.

john tv

K, all set up (tho about to go offline for a few hours). Can you add me?

john tv
HS695-371
ジョン

Forever

Banned
First post list updated. Quite a few active players now.

Btw Forever did you see the Q/A thing I had done on page 9. Perhaps add some of those to the OTs FAQ?

Or more like have a bunch of common questions and will just get them answered so we dont see the same things asked over and over again lol
I was kinda assuming you were going to cover most of that stuff in your review.

john tv

I sent a request!

And you refused it. :( EDIT: Nevermind, got it!
Yeah that was weird, sorry! Was AFK, and when I came back the request was still there so I dunno why it said I refused.

I have a little bit of work to do today and I need to eat some lunch but after that I'll probably get online for a while. No work again till next Thursday... Very dangerous... :)

Aeana

Some of you guys sure seem busy, especially muu. I watched him level 2 levels in the last hour or so. (stalkinggg)

I need to get back on with the story quests, but I'm trying to get to level 20 so I can change jobs.

Parakeetman

First post list updated. Quite a few active players now.

I was kinda assuming you were going to cover most of that stuff in your review.

Yeah will do that also. But think a lot of questions are being asked that can be resolved with a FAQ of sorts.

K, all set up (tho about to go offline for a few hours). Can you add me?

john tv
HS695-371
ジョン

Just got back in the saddle, will be adding you also.

Aeana

ibaMXmL8cyBLdz.jpg

Big, huge thanks to Parakeetman for help with the class changing quest. There is no way I could have ever done it by myself - my party members and I were missing and doing 1 damage to the requisite enemy! But Parakeetman prevailed, and...

ild7b3J5ExiRa.jpg

Now I can change classes! Dunno if I want to just yet or not, although I may try mage or minstrel out.

Parakeetman

Yeah that golem is insanely strong for its level. Since even at lv35 176 DEF I was getting hit from normal attacks for 17 damage. Charged up attack hit me for 50.

When my friend and I went at that we were lv 24 I think and had a ton of people cheering to do constant crits. Everyone was taking turns doing that lol

Fixed an old mistake of mine.

Boots / Gloves / Shield does add defense, but not a very large amount. To see how much will be added you need to switch to the detailed view which is displayed by pressing the Y button.
---

Checked up on the guild stuff it costs 10k about.

---

Also to give a general idea of how rare the small medals are Ive played for about 100 hours and only managed to accumulate 8. It really is all about luck I think. So highly suggest to choosing carefully when you spend your medals lol

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
So yeah, I'm kind of confused. Everyone was bashing this game before it came out, now it seems people like it? Is it fun/enjoyable? Should I be looking forward to this as a DQ/MMO fan?

Forever

Banned
So yeah, I'm kind of confused. Everyone was bashing this game before it came out, now it seems people like it? Is it fun/enjoyable? Should I be looking forward to this as a DQ/MMO fan?
People like it, seems to be an authentic DQ game, but I wouldn't look forward to it until we have confirmation on localization. It might never leave Japan.

So even if this is released in the usa, it will be ip blocked too right?

:( I lived outside the usa.

Game seem fun.

It'll probably be region locked, but you could always use a VPN.

extralite

Now at level 9, played quite a bit today. Progressed in the story just far enough to see the opening credits and become able to ride the train.

So, OP credits. Is this the first DQ for which Horii didn't write the scenario? Funny how people laud the story of this over IX, could this mean a generational shift? DQX director Jin Fujisawa was credited for scenario assistance starting with VII until both the PS1/2 remakes of IV and V, which I guess means he wrote a lot of the party talk.

He directs this one and according to the OP credits also wrote it. He already directed IX but Horii still did the game design and scenario. Now Horii is taking a back seat as general director.

Edit: I was referring to the ingame opening credits. Just noticed that, expectedly, the credits are the same as in the pre-game opening (which also has been shown as a trailer). For some reason I hadn't payed much attention to the scenario credit there, or I forgot again.

Aeana

For those of you who just want to hear my thoughts on DQ10 itself, feel free to skip the first couple of paragraphs.

When Dragon Quest 10 was announced, I was fairly shaken. Indeed, I reacted so poorly that upon reflection a couple of days later, I realized that my entire outlook on gaming had changed. People have often said that Dragon Quest fans are more resistant to change than any other gamers, and many used that position to disregard my and others' feelings about the game being an MMORPG. Of course, this irritated me quite a bit since I felt that turning a rock solid single-player RPG series onto the MMORPG path is a very dramatic change. We've all gone through this before, though. First, it was Phantasy Star: a series that had only just really hit its stride with the fourth entry, then seemingly forgotten for a whole generation and revived as an online game with a decidedly different format. Next came Final Fantasy 11: the idea that Final Fantasy would have an MMORPG was hard to swallow at the time, but Square made it easier by announcing it with other games, assuring the audience that although FF11 is an MMORPG, there are still single-player games on the way.

So, then, if I've seen this before and the world did not end, why was it such a big deal this time? It turns out that there's a little bit of truth to the idea that Dragon Quest fans are resistant to change. Dragon Quest has been like comfort food to me for a great deal of my life. I would go through lots of changes in my life, ups and downs, but I could always rely on a new Dragon Quest game to give me a familiar special feeling that nothing else could. Some of this feeling comes from being so comfortable with what to expect in a game. So many things were established in the series that the player could take for granted. Playing a new Dragon Quest game felt like coming home after being away for so long, troubles melting away.

I said that DQ10's announcement changed my outlook on gaming, but it wasn't really DQ10, it was me. Its announcement is what finally made me realize that I had simply become too invested in gaming, and the Dragon Quest series in particular. A hobby of mine should not hold so much power over me, and so I no longer let it. Over time, my disgust for what DQ10 was dissipated, and I allowed myself to begin looking at the game's own merits. I still wasn't sure I wanted to play a DQ MMO - after all, I was not a very big fan of what was done in 9 - but I would give it a try. I probably would have always tried the game, because it is very important to me to experience things first-hand and form my own opinion. But it became much easier as time went on.

So hopefully that answers the frequent question I'm asked about why I'm even playing DQ10.

Now, about the game itself!

Dragon Quest 10 feels familiar. I think that is its most important trait, and it's one that I feel even FF11 did not accomplish nearly as well as it could have. You walk out of town, and the first enemies you see, regardless of where in the world you are, will be slimes and other low-level monsters from the DQ series. In town, you already know exactly what each facility does. Even the church, which although it isn't used to save the game anymore, it's used to set your binding point for when you die. The icons on the maps are the same familiar ones used in the series for decades. The music is composed by the same person who's written the music for every game in the series, and some music from earlier games is used in certain contexts to further drive familiarity. Even combat manages to feel familiar, despite being formatted entirely differently, just because of a couple familiar cues such as enemies being shown in first-person right when the battle begins, and when it's your time to act, you get that tried-and-true DQ menu window. And the interface - the really big one - is just how you'd expect. Everything is where it should be, and everything works how it should. This is one aspect that has been established over the course of the series that remains steady even in this game, and the things that are different are still similar to how they were presented in DQ9.

Speaking of DQ9, the more I play DQ10, the more convinced I become that when they were tasked to redo DQ9 after the genre change, they must have actually looked at what they were doing in DQ10 and scaled it down. The systems in DQ10 don't feel like evolutions of systems in DQ9, rather the systems in DQ9 feel like pared down versions of systems in DQ10. Some of the things present in DQ9 that didn't really feel "fit" in the game thrive wonderfully in 10, particularly the expanded stat setup and things like the ability for mages to regain MP by physically attacking - which felt so weird in 9 - feel right at home in 10. Whether this is actually true or not, it gives me a better understanding of why 9 turned out the way it did.

I do have to say, though, that the claims that it "feels just like a DQ game" are very misleading. DQ10 is very much an MMORPG. Although you can level "solo" by hiring AI party members to help you out, the balance of the game and the design of the areas and quests are very much "MMORPG." Things take much longer to do, and the degree of difficulty is much higher. You cannot just log on and ignore the other players and pretend you're playing a game like DQ8, because it won't let you. Although there is a story to the game, it's fairly disjointed in the way that MMORPG stories tend to be, and you have to seek it out specifically. The world is not designed to funnel you toward the next story objective, as DQ games typically have been in the past. In fact, I would say that if you've played FF11, you know exactly what to expect from DQ10, because it's formatted incredibly similarly.

The game is very fun, and I've been enjoying my time with it. It has a lot of neat ideas that make it easier to play socially than standard MMORPGs, such as being able to change servers whenever you want. It also has some really great systems that make playing alone or even not playing work out better, such as the energy ball system (which lets you spend your hours spent offline to get items that double your exp/gold for 30 minutes) and the ability to register your character to be hired while you’re offline and receive exp/gold when you come back online. It also has a really fantastic player site that gives you the ability to view a screencap of your character, its equipment, the people who have hired your character, your friend list, your screenshots taken, among many other things. I also think that the way battles work is incredibly cool and interesting. Monsters roam around the field like they would in any other MMORPG, but when you touch them, a battle transition appears and you enter into a battle. At that point, you could be fighting just the enemy you touched, or it could have come with other enemies - there’s no way of knowing. Once you’re in the battle, a ring is formed around the area and other players and monsters become translucent. This means that there is no danger of other monsters wandering into your battlefield and joining in, or accidentally getting hit by someone’s AoE, or anything like that. It also means that other players cannot intervene directly with your monsters. They can, however, cheer from the sidelines which will boost your tension and occasionally give you a small heal. It’s a very interesting system that encourages people to be nicer to each other and also makes battles go more smoothly. And running away from a fight is as easy as walking outside of the ring, which is a very welcome change for me personally.

DQ10 is not without its issues, though, and I think some of its biggest issues would prevent good reception in the west at all. In fact, I'm fairly certain that it would be absolutely panned by western audiences who have played MMORPGs. The thing is that although DQ10 is an MMORPG, it’s a bad idea to approach it as something comparable to World of Warcraft, because it just does not stack up. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that it is trying so hard to be a console RPG that just happens to be an MMORPG. It doesn’t have macros or really any quick way to trigger abilities - they must be activated through the menu. The game is built to be played with a controller, from your comfy couch. It supports USB keyboards, not only for chatting but also for character control, but it’s just very odd to use the keyboard bindings they’ve set up. It doesn’t have a chat window that’s up on the screen at all times - chat bubbles pop up by a person’s portrait on your screen when they say something, but it’s only brief, and only one message; you have to open up the social window to view your a log of public chat, friend messages, combat log, party chat, etc. Also, there is no general chat or trade chat or things of that nature, so doing large-scale coordination seems like it would be fairly difficult unless it were inter-guild or something like that. In fact, the game is designed such that you could very easily play it without a keyboard, and it even welcomes that fact by giving servers for players who don’t have one, and allowing you to mark yourself as not having one. You can register pre-set lines of text and gestures that can easily be recalled exactly as they are in DQ9, and that seems to be plenty to get by in the game, at least to begin with. The amount of text you can send in one line is also very restrictive. Beyond that, though, the game is not quest-driven like modern MMOs, nor does it have instancing or any of that fancy stuff. I think that if approached the wrong way, it could very easily be viewed as an archaic game, and considering that western audiences often already think that about Dragon Quest, I really do fear that it just will not be accepted in the west at all. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

But for me, I am enjoying the game very much for what it actually is, not what I wanted it to be or what it could have been. I expect to play this game for quite a while, and hopefully Square Enix is able to keep it thriving. They’ve just started with weekly quests, which is a nice start, but I hope that they do more. Fortunately, I think there is quite a lot of room for expansion, so I’m not worried.

Soulhouf

DQ10 is not without its issues, though, and I think some of its biggest issues would prevent good reception in the west at all. In fact, I'm fairly certain that it would be absolutely panned by western audiences who have played MMORPGs. The thing is that although DQ10 is an MMORPG, it’s a bad idea to approach it as something comparable to World of Warcraft, because it just does not stack up. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that it is trying so hard to be a console RPG that just happens to be an MMORPG. It doesn’t have macros or really any quick way to trigger abilities - they must be activated through the menu. The game is built to be played with a controller, from your comfy couch. It supports USB keyboards, not only for chatting but also for character control, but it’s just very odd to use the keyboard bindings they’ve set up. It doesn’t have a chat window that’s up on the screen at all times - chat bubbles pop up by a person’s portrait on your screen when they say something, but it’s only brief, and only one message; you have to open up the social window to view your a log of public chat, friend messages, combat log, party chat, etc. Also, there is no general chat or trade chat or things of that nature, so doing large-scale coordination seems like it would be fairly difficult unless it were inter-guild or something like that. In fact, the game is designed such that you could very easily play it without a keyboard, and it even welcomes that fact by giving servers for players who don’t have one, and allowing you to mark yourself as not having one. You can register pre-set lines of text and gestures that can easily be recalled exactly as they are in DQ9, and that seems to be plenty to get by in the game, at least to begin with. The amount of text you can send in one line is also very restrictive. Beyond that, though, the game is not quest-driven like modern MMOs, nor does it have instancing or any of that fancy stuff. I think that if approached the wrong way, it could very easily be viewed as an archaic game, and considering that western audiences often already think that about Dragon Quest, I really do fear that it just will not be accepted in the west at all. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

As a Japanese games lover, this is a very good point to me. Making a MMO like WoW in a draque setting is impossible without losing the DQ feel which is very important.
So, that's good.

Thanks Aeana for the impressions!

muu

Holy shit, it's just getting to me how much assets they reused from ff11. I've been grinding for the last hr in what is obviously South Gustaberg, there's meriphaud and ulgarand and la theine as well. Parts of the map of course, but still.

Aeana

... I don't think any actual assets are reused. The game has a very different graphical style than FF11. Perhaps one could say that themes of areas are similar, though.

Espresso

Banned
Yeah, I can see that. There's a marshy area outside of Pupliko Village that has a low bridge that spans it, leading to a cave (think Quadavs). It immediately reminded me of Pashhow.

Parakeetman

monsters. They can, however, cheer from the sidelines which will boost your tension, as well as being able to cast heals and such on your characters. It’s a very interesting system that encourages people to be nicer to each other and also makes battles go more smoothly.

I thought that cheering was the only thing possible. Since Ive never seen an outsider heal another party in combat before. Once the fight is over healing another party is possible, but during it seems like its an all or nothing type of situation for said party in combat besides the damage boost from the cheering. Since with items its not even possible to use on another player whos in combat as they no longer appear on the menu when you try to use one next to them. Have you healed a player who was in combat before as an outsider?

Aeana

I thought that cheering was the only thing possible. Since Ive never seen an outsider heal another party in combat before. Once the fight is over healing another party is possible, but during it seems like its an all or nothing type of situation for said party in combat besides the damage boost from the cheering.
I've been healed by people from outside. At least, it seemed that way, unless cheering also has the ability to heal just one member of the party.

EDIT: Wow, muu is already level 27. How in the heck?

Ragus

Banned
Nice impressions, thank you Aeana.

Hmm, I really LOVED Dragon Quest IX, so I guess that I'd feel the same about X. If this hits european market, then it is mine.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
This game looks really good. If I knew I could get it running (and could understand more Japanese) I'd import it in a second.

putarorex

I've played this for a couple of weekends now and I am guessing that I won't pay for a subscription. This is mainly because GW2 is coming out and I'll be playing that, but even if it wasn't I probably wouldn't subscribe. I should say that I'm more a mmorpg fan than a DQ fan (I played about 20 hours of DQ IX and lost interest).

I have had fun grouping and grinding mobs. As a priest, I can find groups pretty quickly. Japanese PUGs are great, with everyone being very friendly and helpful. Exploring can be rewarding when you find chests at the end of cave, and the combat is interesing with the push mechanic for tanking. The wandering mini boss mobs are great as well. I have done very little questing, spending most of my time grinding mobs to get xp and gold on the dwarf continent.

The game does not seem very solo friendly compared to modern-day mmorpgs. As a priest it is not so bad, but the lack of auto regneration of health and magic must make the game a pain for warriors and other classes when soloing. I haven't tried any quest bosses without a group. Are they soloable?

My mind might change if the game surprises me with something interesting before the end of next weekend. I think I have kinda been spoiled by recent mmorpgs and just how convenient they make things for solo and casual play (easy teleporting, little downtime, etc.). DQ X is not as bad as a grindy korean mmorpg but it is nowhere near most modern western mmos.

So are the first week sales in japan of 420k good or a little disappointing?

I guess it's hard to judge because it's more of an MMORPG, but what are people's thoughts? I kind of think Square Enix had to be expecting more, even given the online nature of the game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So are the first week sales in japan of 420k good or a little disappointing?

I guess it's hard to judge because it's more of an MMORPG, but what are people's thoughts? I kind of think Square Enix had to be expecting more, even given the online nature of the game.

Did above a 70% sell through and had by far the best debut of any MMORPG. I think they have to be pleased.

john tv

Sorry I didn't play last night, was out too late and then crashed as soon as I got back. Will be on later this afternoon pretty much for the rest of the day tho. :)

Aeana

I've played this for a couple of weekends now and I am guessing that I won't pay for a subscription. This is mainly because GW2 is coming out and I'll be playing that, but even if it wasn't I probably wouldn't subscribe. I should say that I'm more a mmorpg fan than a DQ fan (I played about 20 hours of DQ IX and lost interest).

I have had fun grouping and grinding mobs. As a priest, I can find groups pretty quickly. Japanese PUGs are great, with everyone being very friendly and helpful. Exploring can be rewarding when you find chests at the end of cave, and the combat is interesing with the push mechanic for tanking. The wandering mini boss mobs are great as well. I have done very little questing, spending most of my time grinding mobs to get xp and gold on the dwarf continent.

The game does not seem very solo friendly compared to modern-day mmorpgs. As a priest it is not so bad, but the lack of auto regneration of health and magic must make the game a pain for warriors and other classes when soloing. I haven't tried any quest bosses without a group. Are they soloable?

My mind might change if the game surprises me with something interesting before the end of next weekend. I think I have kinda been spoiled by recent mmorpgs and just how convenient they make things for solo and casual play (easy teleporting, little downtime, etc.). DQ X is not as bad as a grindy korean mmorpg but it is nowhere near most modern western mmos.
I think DQ10 has one of the best teleporting systems I've ever seen in an MMO, honestly. You can expand the number of zoomstones you have, so you can have quick teleportation to many different locations without any cooldown whatsoever. The lack of natural regeneration is certainly an issue, though, although going back to town to rest at an inn is quick and easy, and not prohibitively expensive. Fortunately, mages and priests at least have great facilities for MP regeneration.

Hiltz

Wow, thank you so much for your impressions, Aeana. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what to expect from the game than I ever had before. DQX sounds like the kind of MMORPG I can easily get into and appreciate some of its clever concepts. Some of the game's problems sure do sound frustratingly inconvenient and archaic , but perhaps Square Enix may be able to fix some of that stuff in the future. At this point ,the only thing stopping me from not wanting to give the game a chance is if Square Enix makes us pay to play it.

Gloam

Had a good time just now beating up on the
skeleton king
with a couple of buddies. Great feeling pushing around bosses, adds a fun active element to the fighting without the need to dodge or press a button to swing a sword or something. Looking forward to getting further along with my equipment as I've seen some people with great looking gear around the place. Saw a couple of
humans
today too. Wild stuff!

Aeana

I just went up against the second boss of the elf story, and now I know that the game is most certainly not designed to be soloed in all facets. The boss had a very heavy emphasis on positioning to avoid damage, and there's no way to tell your AI party members to move out of the way or anything like that.

Parakeetman

My general impressions of the game is as follows below. Was going to do something longer which has been put together piece by piece, but figured its a pain in the ass so just will write this here instead. Real basic stuff minus a lot of own thoughts on the whole game in general.

INTRODUCTION
Dragon Quest X is basically a game from the Dragon Quest franchise that has a MMO designed around it. The reason why I say this is due to the fact that it keeps all of the familiar mechanics to the Dragon Quest series intact, then with that adds the various MMO functions around that concept. Instead of FFXI which basically was the Final Fantasy name stuck on to the Everquest game design.

What is interesting is this title starts off with a single player prologue, which at the same time is a very basic tutorial on how to play. Before starting this you create siblings that the first one will be your main character used in the online portion, the second sibling will be the one who you use in the offline portion. This prologue is a little long with about 2 hours of play if you really just try to rush through everything and this part of the game is what sets the story of the events for the offline and online mode. Once you go through this you will have the option to choose from the 5 races and the online portion of the game will begin. The offline mode after the prologue is a continuation of the prologue story which is a nice touch for those who want something to do while server maintenance is going down.

Overall though this in many ways is MMO lite. The reason why I say this is that its very much pick up and play. As long as you know most of the DQ mechanics there really isnt too much extra fluff you need to learn. Plus not having to worry about being some sort of macro god like with what happened with FFXI. Everything is pretty much straight forward and monsters for the most part as long as you stay within your means its not a problem to progress in levels. Soloing if you so do choose to do so is all very much possible with leveling. Bosses and such you can do with the AI party members, just more difficult than it if you used humans. (Will explain in a different section). There are no death penalties besides losing gold, which can be prevented by using the bank. (Also explained in different section.) In short and said many times is overall this title does not feel like a job, similar to what happens with other MMOs. Similar to how WoW was pick up and play, so is this game. But thats about all the two have in common so do not misunderstand this quote.

With the game itself you get 20 free days and the monthly subscription fee is 1000 Wii points or 1000 yen in Japan.

STORY PROGRESSION
How the story progression works in DQX is basically similar to FFXI you are assigned quests and by completing said goals you are awarded with a in game graphic cutscene that progresses the story along. Also some events will appear if you have simply progressed along far enough in the story and do something such as ride the train for example or go to a different town. Also all the races have a different starting story too which gives everyone a slightly different experience with the game itself and is a nice touch. So as with what FFXI did if you want to see the story more and how it all plays out, level grinding is necessary, thankfully does not take as much time as it does in FFXI. The story will also take you all over the world as you are tasked with collecting emblems from each of the continents, though they can be done in any order you wish so its not as if you are funneled through a single direction.

WORLD
The world in the online portion of DQX is fairly straight forward. Though with this game each race basically has a continent to themselves. What I mean by this, is there is currently no race that shares the same continent. These continents are connected by a rail system which costs 25G (one way) to use and only after the story has been progressed so that the player receives a pass allowing them to use said rail system.

Each continent has its general feel to it along with town designs. Though for the most part it seems like the Ogre Capital Town is the main hub the "Jeuno" of this game. This is mainly because of 2 quests that bring a lot of the other races to the town itself. Therefore trade through the bazaar / looking for a party is the most beneficial within that town in particular. I generally found this odd since it has the worst design out of all the main capitals in the game.

As with standard Dragon Quest fashion usually stronger monsters exist across bridges. Though there is something new which is a broken fence / barricade type of passable barriers exists and these besides signs posted at times mean very strong monsters on the other end. Even more so than crossing a bridge. Also its important to read the signs as while they tell the obvious like direction, they also warn of high danger areas.

The game map displays everything from the start which is a great feature for new players and finding friends within the game world, just due to having everything visible from start. Plus its broken up by alpha numeric grid so you can tell a friend "Am in location A3" for example. The map also displays locations of all shops and NPCs. Also friends when partied.

COMBAT
Gameplay is fairly simple as with other DQ games all of the combat is based off of the familiar menu system which we all know and love as fans of the series. Though this time around the speed at which this menu appears is based on your "speed" status of your character. Entering combat is a simple as touching an enemy and from there the battle begins. The downside is you will not know how many enemies will be in the fight until you actually begin combat, so its always good to prepare ahead. Though for the most part after a few fights you can pretty much know that this area will be 1-3 enemies. I have yet to see a fight that starts with more than 3. Though enemies can multiply by calling friends, who then show up with a alphabet naming. For example Slime, Slime B, Slime C, this goes all the way up to Z then they will stop multiplying.

Combat itself takes place in a white ring which is drawn around the borders of the combat area. By exiting this ring you can escape the battle which for the most part is quite easy to do. The monster will also not chase after you / reset its position and you are granted about a second or two of invincibility where no other enemies can aggro you.

Another interesting bit about combat itself is the fact you are able to push your target physically as you would a heavy block in an action game like Zelda for example. The purpose of this is due to the combat system having no sort of "hate" feature, you need to physically keep the monsters away from your casters. The ability to push or be pushed is determined by your "weight" status. If a monster is considered heavier than you, you will be pushed instead. The weight status can be found on your characters stats and weight is added from equipment worn. All weight does is effect the ability of pushing or being able to be pushed by monsters and does not effect your movement in the game world or action speed.

Dying in combat unlike other MMOs do not have EXP penalties or some sort of penalty after resurrection. Though you will lose gold if you are transported back to the church due to ones own choice or by not obtaining a resurrect in time before the counter goes down. Thankfully this can be avoided by simple putting your gold into the vault storage. Though it must be in increments of 1000G.

Lastly good bit of news is kill stealing isnt possibly as players outside of your party are unable to interfere with combat asides from cheering which will raise your tension level allowing for more damage to be delt with the next attack. Though at the same time, that is the only support outsiders are allowed to give to players within combat. Also as there currently is no way to "pull" a monster from long range you dont have to worry about the type of situations you have with other MMOs. Physical contact is necessary to initiate combat. Also monsters respawn fast enough so that competition for monsters really isnt as bad of an issue at all in comparison to other games.

TOWNS
Towns are fairly straight forward and have all of the shops and icons people are familiar with.

Inns are used to pay & regain HP just like the series. Within the major inns they also may contains a Concierge NPC that will give players support gold after X amount of days real time, help with changing server in game or an item called a Genkidama which gives the player the ability to earn double exp and gold. Though this requires a charge of 22 hours real time which is accumulated by time the player has spent offline.

Church is used to bind yourself to the specific location of said church and to set the warp point of your Rura Stone (no idea wtf its called for the ENG localized version). And the usual familiar bits cure poison, curse, revive.

Weapon / Armor vendors will sell low quality equipment, Item shop will sell potions and other curatives, the crafting material vendor well exactly what the name says. Though what the crafting mats vendor will sell differs depending on what region of the world you are in.

Tavern is used to hire NPCs, Player registered NPCs and to register yourself as a hireable NPC for other players to use. Depending on the amount of time spent away and how much use your character is made out of during that time by those who hired you, you will earn EXP, Gold and Fame. (Ill explain what fame is in a bit). The prices are fairly reasonable also but do go up as you do in levels. Within the tavern is another NPC who gives you the opportunity to change your class after completing a quest from lv 20.

Crafting trade skill guilds are found in each major town of all of the races. Though the hard part is the fact you will only get to pick one. You can switch your crafting skill to another one as long as you have not gone over the skill rank 10 by doing the skill cap increase quest. Some areas are harder to reach than others, if you are another race that wants to do a different tradeskill. For example the biggest pain in the ass to get to for another race is becoming an armorsmith as a non dwarven race.

Vault this is where you store all of your items / equipment and can deposit gold in increments of 1000G.

Post office this is where you can send and receive items along with letters to players. Though these you need to buy items for to send. Sending items or gold costs 10G per transfer. Items that are stackable are able to be sent in a single transfer.

QUESTING
Those who have played DQIX the questing system is basically the same as that. All the quests are numbered for ease of tracking and comparing with others. They do vary for the most part and thankfully do not have a lot of the usual generic kill 9000 mice and bring me their cheese sort of idiocy. But at the same time its not as if these quests are interesting in particular either. Thankfully there are no escort npc to said location either, yet anyways. Also quest NPCs are colored purple on the map and their names in the game world.

Quests will reward the player with an item of some sort. Have not had any that actually directly rewards cash and unfortunately as with IX you will not gain EXP from quest completed. Though some quests can be completed multiple times for a lesser reward, though I think its once a day real time if you do this with some of these quests. Also completing quests you gain FAME points which has a level that is displayed with your character status. This FAME point level currently seems to effect how many items you are able to sell in the Bazaar. To level up your fame level once you go past the required exp all you need to do is sleep in the Inn.

Most important factor about quests is that some features will not be unlocked to the player unless they complete said quests. Which includes things like Concierge NPC, Tavern, Class Change, Backpack Space Increase, Vault etc.

BAZAAR
This is basically the general feature you will find in most MMOs these days. Think of it like the auction house, except purchase are not done by bidding. There is a set price and when thats paid for said item, deal is sealed and done. Though be quick about it, since while making up your mind it is possible for someone else to buy it. Even in the event where it seems like you successfully purchased the item. So if its equipment equip it as fast as possible. Ive had such incidents happen to me about 5 times now.

When selling there is a 10G upping fee along with a 5% cut from the sale amount. This money is sent back to your post box after. Also the item will stay in up and listed for 72 hours. If a sale is not made said item is sent back to your post box.

STATS & SKILLS
The game uses the same stats as other DQ titles. The only real small difference would be the addition of the weight status which as explained int he combat section effects your ability to push or be pushed by monsters. This is raised / lowered depending on your equipment selection. Therefore the melee classes generally are the ones meant to be the "sheilds" of the party with keeping enemies away from the casters physically as once again there is no hate system in this game.

Also the (loosely translated) dexterity stat effects your critical rate, ability to surprise the enemy, be surprised by the enemy.

Speed effects how fast your command menu appears in combat. (Will check for exact info. Instruction manual and book was useless.)

Skills are handled like how they were with Skill points earned from leveling up in DQVIII / DQIX. Will get exact numbers later but its around after lv 10 you start to gain skill points every few levels. These points can be distributed into your weapon skills or class specific skills. The cap for each class is 100 points, so you need to put a little thought into how you want to distribute your points.

EQUIPMENT
The equipment in the game is the standard fare for the DQ series. Head, Chest, Arm, Leg, Feet for armor slots. Accessory slots include, Head / Face, Neck, Finger, Other. Weapon slot = Left & Right hand. There also is no dual wielding currently in the game.

Weapon types include (shield is included here)
1 handed sword
2 handed sword
2 handed axe
dagger
claws (uses both hands)
whip
fan
2 handed staff
wand
2 handed mage staff
Shield

Stats of the equipment is also determined by a 1-3 star quality system. Each star adds a +1 to the offensive or defensive property of the item. This can be furthered by the 2 alchemy skills later explained.

LOOT
For the most part this game loot is in the form of useable items or crafting materials. On the rare occasion there are monsters that do drop equipment, but for the most part its not really grinding after as the drop rates are quite low. By using the Thief class though their special steal skill allows for you to gain more money or items which will show up in a chest after the battle.

On the world map there will be chests and harvestable points both of which are without worry of other players stealing.

Red chest that are in the exact same location so can come back to later on.
Blue chests that appear at random on the map and contain random loot.
Black chests are locked chests which require a special key to open.

Harvest points are displayed in the same manner as they were in DQIX by a white glowing orb. These spots is where you collect materials used for crafting. These spots always spawn in the same general locations so its possible to remember these and do harvesting runs after few hours of real time. Though a bit of warning is harvesting too many spots will cause all others to vanish until after the next refresh cycle, once again several hours real time. So once you get a hang of things its a good idea to know what materials you want to go after and where they are.

At the moment I have not seen really any sort of "rare" monsters. Besides the massive boss looking monsters that are in the world on occasion. With that being said thankfully there wont be the idiocy as with FFXI and Named Monsters. Well not yet anyways...

Lastly not loot related, but there are locked doors within the world where on occasion you can see items behind them. As with the usual DQ fashion these would require a special key to open.

Parakeetman

I've been healed by people from outside. At least, it seemed that way, unless cheering also has the ability to heal just one member of the party.

EDIT: Wow, muu is already level 27. How in the heck?

Am almost certain you are unable to interact with others who are in combat 100% besides cheering.

Cheering just raises tension. Do not believe it heals also.

Top Bottom