• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Seik

Banned
I want my games with widescreen!!

Is that 'patch' for all these games the same or is there a specific patch for each game?

Vossler

This game. This game.

Raised the internal resolution to 2560x1440 from 1920x1080 because it looks like my CPU can handle at least that. Also added antialiasing 4x (even though the guide says it's safer at 2x I didn't have any issue with it for many hours, so I guess they managed to fix that in 1.0?) because AA it's all on the GPU and I have a 560 Ti.

I am enjoying it 100x this time around, my expectations were too high back in the days and I was really disappointed by the plot going downhill (totally disappearing, more like) in the largest part of the game. Now I'm enjoying the battle system, the dialogues, the locations (holy damn at that architecture and those textures), gambits, everything! It's amazing and PCSX2 really makes it bloom like never before.

Oh by the way, I tried Siren 2 just before and it has huge compatibility issues :(

Tomo, quick question, where are you getting the options to set aa? Can you post all your settings? Btw, this is without a doubt my fav ff ever. Going to run through the International Zodiac Edition on my pc here soon.

Tomodachi

Tomo, quick question, where are you getting the options to set aa? Can you post all your settings? Btw, this is without a doubt my fav ff ever. Going to run through the International Zodiac Edition on my pc here soon.
Of course! Here they are.

NOTE: I made a mistake taking the screenshots, you should use Direct3D9 instead of Direct3D11, much better compatibility, less glitches.

All the other tabs are default. Remember to tick the "Enable HW Hacks" optionto make the AA work, otherwise it will be off even if you turn it on in the Hacks Configuration tab.

EDIT: forgot to add my specs.
Athlon II X4 840 (3.2GHz) - crap
Geforce 560 Ti
PCSX2 1.0.0

Dr Dogg

Finally got elf patches working

pcsx2-2012-09-06-11-1qoyjy.jpg

pcsx2-2012-09-06-11-1w9lfz.jpg

Just picked this up today on my way home from work, mainly on the strength of how good your pics looked and all I can say it looks way better in motion. What is it about Level 5's assets and art style that lends it's self so well high res? Tempted to go grab Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 1 & 2 as well now.

Stuart444

I take it, there is still no fix for the flickering in the USA version of FFX-2? (Just tried out the latest stable release of the emulator)

Maybe I should dig out my EU version if I can find it and see if there is flickering on that one...

With a new pc and version 1.0 coming, thought it was time to hit back at my jrpg backlog.

Started with Xenosaga, but noticed that though playable, the game has some big emulation issues with the gdsx plugin (buggy shadows, some sort of text box filtering issue, and certain black&white cutscenes wouldn't play).
Decided to try Persona 3 instead since the more popular the title, the more support for better compatibility it would probably have.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Anyone think they can help me get DQ8 running at full speed even in towns?

My specs are a 3570k using the HD4000 integrated graphics.

I just want to play at the games native resolution. no fancy bells and whistles until I get my GPU.

Just a plain 480p game in full speed.

Think it's doable?

When playing PCSX2 it turbo boosts to 3.6ghz but I can overclock if that's needed.

Also rather not use frameskip

Tomodachi

I always had trouble figuring out this emulator. I just think my 2500k is not strong enough.
I run FFXII at solid 60fps with a Phenom II x4 840 that lacks the instruction sets i5 have and even L3 cache (not overclockable, it's stuck at 3.2Ghz). My videocard is a 560 Ti.
2500k should definitely be able to run PCSX2 at its best, try the newest revision and spend a little time at finding the best settings for your game. The FFXII guide is perfect (even if it needs to be updated since 4xAA is perfectly viable now with the new revision).
Even if I'm just playing in 480p with no extra effects?
When I started replaying FFXII I accidently left the AMD Cool and Quiet option on and it ran very poorly but I noticed that there was no difference at all between running the game at native resolution and 3-4x, it was almost unplayable either way. So I figure that without a decent GPU there's no difference between 480p and 1080p, you need one even to run the game at native resolution :(

Even if I'm just playing in 480p with no extra effects?

No...PCSX2 has huge fill rate requirements on a lot of games that only a discrete GPU can provide, add to the equation the terrible gfx drivers that Intel's range of intergrated GPU's are crippled by, which are really only optimised for HD video playback on laptops, and you're onto a loser from the start trying to run PCSX2 with a HD4000.

The only games which you'll be able to run at full speed are those games which can run in software mode, mostly the 2d beat'em'ups, which don't make much use of 3d effects...your 3570k CPU is well up to the job for software rendering at full frame rate.

Whilst in game press F9 to switch between hardware and software rendering and see what the result is.

Ledsen

The 2500k is most certainly strong enough, especially once over-clocked to 4Ghz or more...until 12mths ago it was the CPU of choice for every emulator out there.

12 months ago? Pretty sure it's still among the very top CPU's out there for both emulators and normal games. Sure there are better IB procs but the 2500k is still a beast.

xJavonta

Banned
How are you guys having issues with 2500k's? My i3-2100 hasn't had a problem running anything supported by any emulator, I'd imagine you shouldn't either.

inner-G

Banned
How are you guys having issues with 2500k's? My i3-2100 hasn't had a problem running anything supported by any emulator, I'd imagine you shouldn't either.

I don't know, I ran a ton of crap at hi-res on an Athlon 64 X2, so there's no way a 2500k is holding anyone back that much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never used this, but will it run EDF2 and remove/reduce slowdown in the original game? And do you literally just put the ps2 disc in your PC and play, or do you have to rip it first?

Sarquiss_

Just built a new pc with the following specs:

Intel 3930K (6 Cores | OCed to 4.5Ghz | Watercooled)
16GB DDR3 2100hz Ram
Nvidia 670GTX w 2GB Ram
256GB SSD

and cannot wait to try this emulator out :D. Has anyone tried running with a similar setup and if so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cannot wait to play Dark Clouds 1 and 2 :)

ChryZ

I'm playing Yakuza 2 at the moment. Gameplay is perfectly fine, but the same minor visual issues Yakuza 1 had. Scenes with flat lighting look amazing though:

I used the same settings I posted for Yakuza 1 up thread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any pics of FFX on a widescreen patch? I haven't seen much though. I'd also like to see how it looks when the backgrounds are pre-rendered.

Elfish

Is my PC strong enough to emulate PS2 in a decent way?

ASROCK 880 GXH motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Would be great to play Football Kingdom or Red Card Soccer on PC.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Never used this, but will it run EDF2 and remove/reduce slowdown in the original game? And do you literally just put the ps2 disc in your PC and play, or do you have to rip it first?

Don't know about slowdown but you can just put your disc in and play. (At least in my experience with a small handful of games. Not sure if there are some that are less compatible with that method.)

Resilient

Purchased a DS3 to finally play my cop of KH: Final Mix today, and I can't connect it with Motion In Joy for the life of me. The site refuses to load, and I can't navigate to the Device Manager screen. I'm using a USB to connect and tried version 6.0003 last I checked. I had to uninstall it because it was giving me a headache. Are there any other solutions to using my DS3 with PCSX2 , or any other PC game that allows DS3 use?

Dr Dogg

Widescreen patches like this I mean:

http://ps2wide.net/f.html

That where I got my info from (was posted earlier in the thread). You'll need to get the .elf from the disk which then you'll need to the hex code to change the view to widescreen and amend this with a hex editor. You can then load this up directly in PCSX2 under the file menu without inserting this into the .iso.

Hellix

http://ps2wide.net/f.html

That where I got my info from (was posted earlier in the thread). You'll need to get the .elf from the disk which then you'll need to the hex code to change the view to widescreen and amend this with a hex editor. You can then load this up directly in PCSX2 under the file menu without inserting this into the .iso.

Nice, thank you.

Is there any differences between using elf and pnach files for widescreen?

Dr Dogg

Nice, thank you.

Is there any differences between using elf and pnach files for widescreen?

Well from what I've seen it's a bit different game by game. For example Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 are both fine using pnatch files where as Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII have issues where it doesn't render the extra width either side so the only solution is an elf patch. Conversely Tales of the Abyss doesn't render the extra width with an elf patch and so far I have not been able to find any working properties to try a pnatch patch.

There's a huge thread over the PCSX2 forums with various solutions and so far I've found something for any game I've tried.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
I'm in them market for a GPU, budget is 250 bucks.

Should I get a GTX 660(non Ti) or a Radeon 7850?

I remember PCSX2 used to be very much optimized for Nvidia, but will ATI be fine?

I'm in them market for a GPU, budget is 250 bucks.

Should I get a GTX 660(non Ti) or a Radeon 7850?

I remember PCSX2 used to be very much optimized for Nvidia, but will ATI be fine?

If PCSX2 is your goal, memory bandwidth is all that matters if your card isn't 3+ years old. GTX 660 uses a 192bit bus and GDDR5 at 1100mhz memory speed is going to have a slower memory bandwidth than the 7850 256bit bus at 1200mhz... by quite a large margin.

What does this mean REALLY? With the 660 you're probably looking at a max of 1920x1080 render and maybe AAx2 (though remember, AA can break some games) where as the 7850 will probably be able to render at 2560xwhateveritis with 4xAA on most games without issue.

Either one will play PCSX2 fine with all other settings up, the 660 will likely be better for overall gaming outside of pcsx2.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say the 660 is better than the 7850. A slight edge in overall performance right now, but with it's lower bandwidth it's going to age faster. 7850 will age better, and if he's into OCing it will outperform an OC'd 660.

I wouldn't recommend NV right now aside from the 670 (unless the person is looking for specific features), but that's beyond what he's looking to pay.

But it's really beside the point. 7870 can be had for less than $250, and if you factor in rebates almost all of them are. That's what he should look at.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
I wouldn't say the 660 is better than the 7850. A slight edge in overall performance right now, but with it's lower bandwidth it's going to age faster. 7850 will age better, and if he's into OCing it will outperform an OC'd 660.

I wouldn't recommend NV right now aside from the 670 (unless the person is looking for specific features), but that's beyond what he's looking to pay.

But it's really beside the point. 7870 can be had for less than $250, and if you factor in rebates almost all of them are. That's what he should look at.

I don't really play PC games though, I almost exclusively play JRPGs and Japanese Action games.

PCSX2/Dolphin is honestly 99% of the PC gaming I plan to do.

I'm considering a GTX 660 or GTX 570 at the moment.

xJavonta

Banned
I don't really play PC games though, I almost exclusively play JRPGs and Japanese Action games.

I planned on using my console for majority of my gaming too

Then I discovered the joy of Steam sales. Those plans went out the window.

judging by what you're interested in, you probably won't find any good games in that genre on PC. So you're right

Edit: Isn't what he's looking for a little overkill if he's only planning to use PCSX2?

Honestly, if that's the majority of what you're doing, again you're going to want memory bandwidth above all else. Simply look for whichever card has the highest bit interface in your price range and you'll be getting one with really good memory bandwidth.

If you want the absolute best one, multiply the memory clock by the bus width and go for whatever the highest is after that.

A slightly older card with a higher memory bandwidth will do more for you than a newer card with lower bandwidth... again, it's not amount of or how fast the shaders are (which is often times more benefitial in PC games, though not always).

(edit) xJavonta: Depends. If he just wants the games to run at the native res of his monitor, they are probably more than enough... but if he wants to run them with 9x SSAA 16AF,etc etc the extra memory bandwidth is what's going to be needed.

Ledsen

That's what you say now... then after the Steam Christmas sale, you will have 150+ games in your library. Trust me on this one.

wazoo

That's what you say now... then after the Steam Christmas sale, you will have 150+ games in your library. Trust me on this one.

PC gaming on steam : selling very cheap to gamers games that they will not download or play anyway. It is one of the genius moves of this generation.

Skilletor

The shitty performance of ZOE2 in the HD collections made me try this again. I played through the first...10 minutes or so (the same stuff used to test the framerate in the vids we've seen) and didn't see a single frame drop. Constant 60fps @ 2x AA in 1080p.

Does it get worse somewhere or is it playable? Running the latest PCSX2.

ss_lemonade

I have an i7 2700k and a 670. Could I run ZOE with minimal issues?
Never had problems with ZOE 1 (though I haven't played much yet). ZOE 2 is quite a bit more demanding, though compared to those youtube analysis vids of the 360/ps3 conversions, my pc seems to be handling the game much better at 3x the native res.

I'm on a 2500k @ 4.5 and a 6970. ZOE 2 noticeably drops frames the higher I increase the resolution (3x is the highest I can go while maintaining 60fps) so maybe your 670 will fare much better. I also noticed that enabling the multi core speedhack lowers my framerate as well. Maybe that's why it isn't part of the default settings in pcsx2?

Top Bottom