• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Soccer 13 sells 353,000 on day one in North America, 42% increase YoY

Seda

-Update-

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=711019

EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 Sells over 4.5 Million Games in Five Days to Become Biggest Videogame Launch of 2012
Record-Smashing 800,000 Peak-Simultaneous Players Online

More Than 70 Critics Award Review Scores Of 90 Or Higher

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) today announced the record-smashing start of EA SPORTS™ FIFA Soccer 13, selling over 4.5 million games across all platforms worldwide* in just five days. It is the biggest videogame launch of 2012 and biggest sports videogame launch of all-time. FIFA 13 was the No. 1 selling game in at least 40 countries around the world.

The blistering FIFA Soccer 13 launch which began September 25 was driven by high game quality and record sales in key regions, led by more than 1.23 million^ games sold in the first 48 hours in the United Kingdom. FIFA Soccer 13 is only the second videogame franchise ever to sell more than 1 million units in the UK within just 1 day.

Critics are praising FIFA Soccer 13 with 75 reviews scores of 90 or above. Joystiq awarded FIFA 13 a perfect 100 score, saying "FIFA 13 is, in a word, superb." Multiplayer in Italy called it the "best FIFA ever" and JeuxVideo Magazine said "FIFA 13 approaches perfection."

Fans are also playing FIFA Soccer 13 in record numbers. September 30, 2012 was the busiest day for online gaming for a single title in EA history. An astounding 800,000** fans played FIFA Soccer 13 simultaneously. More than 66 million online game sessions have already been played on FIFA Soccer 13, representing a staggering 600 million minutes of online play.

"FIFA Soccer 13 is a critical and commercial success unprecedented in sports entertainment," said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS. "Every minute of every day millions of fans around the world are experiencing what the critics have already said — FIFA Soccer 13 is the biggest and best sports game we have ever created."

-Original-

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=709896

Also record setting iOS release.

EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13 Day One Sales Up 42 Percent in North America

• Biggest Launch-Day Performance On iOS In EA History
  • Anticipation For European Launch Peaks With 1.3 Million Pre-Orders Worldwide
  • Critics Rave with More Than Three Dozen 90+ Review Scores

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) announced today that EA SPORTS™ FIFA Soccer 13 has launched to unprecedented opening day sales in North America with 353,000* games sold—a 42* percent increase year-over-year—on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system. Those fans across North America played a staggering 1.4 million online games in the first 24 hours after the game launched, up 35 percent year-over-year. It was also the biggest global launch-day performance of any iOS game on iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch® in EA history. FIFA Soccer 13 launched Tuesday across North America and will be available around the world beginning Friday.

Momentum in North America was fuelled by a launch event in New York hosted by Snoop Lion that propelled the hashtag #SnoopsFIFA13 trending in the United States and worldwide on Twitter, midnight openings at over 2,000 retail stores across the country, and game quality. Critics are praising FIFA Soccer 13 with 39 review scores of 90 or above. Eurogamer Spain awarded FIFA Soccer 13 a perfect 100 score, Multiplayer in Italy called it the "best FIFA ever" and JeuxVideo Magazine said "FIFA 13 approaches a form of perfection."

It was also a record-setting opening for FIFA Soccer 13 on iOS around the world. FIFA Soccer 13 for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad achieved the biggest launch-day performance of any EA iOS game in history, with downloads up 62 percent over last year*. FIFA Soccer 13 also hit No. 1 in Top Paid Games in 55 countries and No. 1 in Top Grossing Games in 24 countries on the App Store^.

Similar to North America, there is unprecedented anticipation for FIFA Soccer 13 around the rest of the world. For the first time in the history of EA SPORTS, over 1.3 million games** (and still counting) have been preordered worldwide, pointing toward a historic opening when the game launches around the world on Friday.

"We're thrilled that fans throughout North America have embraced FIFA Soccer 13 in such a big way," said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS. "North Americans appreciate a great-playing game and their level of engagement with our game is helping to drive the sport's popularity in the United States."

During the month of September four North American cities—Los Angeles, New York, Toronto and Chicago—trailed only London, England, among the top five cities^^ with the most engaged fans among the 10 million fans in the EA SPORTS soccer community on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/easportsfifa. Additionally, the FIFA Soccer 13 demo was played by 294,000 first-time FIFA Soccer fans in the United States. In a story published Tuesday on ESPN.com that can be read here http://es.pn/OnKiwc, leading soccer journalist Roger Bennett credited the EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer franchise as being a key driver in the popularity of soccer in the United States.

FIFA Soccer 13 captures the unpredictability of the real-world sport with breakthrough features like First Touch Control that ensure no two matches ever play the same, and new online services like EA SPORTS Football Club Match Day that completely connect FIFA Soccer 13 to the real-world season for the world's top leagues. The FIFA Soccer 13 demo is available through Origin™, Xbox LIVE® and PlayStation Network. FIFA Soccer 13 trailers, screenshots and fact sheet are available at http://info.ea.com.

FIFA Soccer 13 will be available for now in retail stores throughout North America, and as a digital download through Origin. The videogame is available for the PlayStation 3 with PlayStation Move support, Xbox 360 with Kinect™, PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system, Nintendo Wii™ console, PC, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Nintendo 3DS™, and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and November 18 on Nintendo Wii U™ system. The game is available on the App Store for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. FIFA Soccer 13 is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and Pegi 3+.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hopefully nobody bought the Vita, 3DS, PSP or Wii versions. What with them being the same as last years (and still no online for 3DS).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Soccer is such an amazing sports. Can't wait for the US to be as serious about it as the rest of the world :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wait is he seriously still going by Snoop Lion?

Not surprised to see FIFA sell better. Less to do with the games merits and improvements and more to do with the increasing popularity of the sport and the video game getting through with casual fans.

boyshine

Note ... that there is no comments regarding the Vita version. You get what you put out ..

There seems to be a distribution problem or slight delay on FIFA 13 for Vita. At least here in Norway. Every other SKU was available, but the Vita version isn't expected to arrive until next week.

Bumhead

Banned
It's a great game, not just a great sports game.

I've spent the last 7 years moaning how football games will never be as good as PE6 but I'm head over heels about FIFA 13. It's fantastic.

Soccer is such an amazing sports. Can't wait for the US to be as serious about it as the rest of the world :)

Be careful what you wish for. If America got serious about soccer they would just dominate like every other sport and the rest of the world would another reason to hate the USA.

Turok_TTZ

Lol no. If there is one thing americans will be perma bad at its real football. With exception to dempsey and bradley, american soccer looks like a bunch of guys kicking a ball around.

Pranay

yay for anecdotal evidence. who are those people and where are they? at least wait for pal charts to be posted to make such claims.

I am just predicting and im pretty sure i wont be far off.

[You can ignore the 95% part since Sales here in India dont matter anyways]

yay for anecdotal evidence. who are those people and where are they? at least wait for pal charts to be posted to make such claims.

Why would they be different from all the previous years? The UK is the only place where the 360 is on top.

It's obviously not 95% though

SkylineRKR

You can safely bet on the Ps3 version of FIFA being the most popular one in Europe. Its history, and the fact FIFA 13 gets mad promotion by Sony, more than the previous ones.

SkylineRKR

I could see FIFA breaking 4 million in Europe. They seem to sell better every year. Basically since they stopped being shitty games, and PES being inferior.

I think UK is the only place it will maybe sell better? Isn't 360 more popular there?

Yeah, but the difference probably won't be that big in UK. I could see the 360 version topping the charts, with Ps3 being 2nd.

I think that even in UK, one might prefer FIFA on Ps3. Like Final Fantasy and Tekken.

I'm glad the sport is getting so much deserved love here. I'm really hoping they go through with building a stadium in queens and we get a new team here.

Wait is he seriously still going by Snoop Lion?

Not surprised to see FIFA sell better. Less to do with the games merits and improvements and more to do with the increasing popularity of the sport and the video game getting through with casual fans.

ESPN reported that the increase in the popularity of the soccer was dependant on the FIFA games.

NA - 360

EU - PS3 by a mile

[95% of people here[India] bought the ps3 version of what i know]

I'm certain the PS3 version sells more than 360 in every region looking at the concurrent user numbers online in the game.

Right now, PS3 is triple 360's number as it is Europe's peak hours.

They don't say. I will say every ad I saw displayed the 360 version.

The 360 version is just a terrible cut-down version of the PS3 one with Snoop Dog.

Here's the real version which really tells you what console was the lead SKU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTTiGD31rqE

Edit: PS3 Illuminati

61Wte.jpg

Pranay

NeoGAF anecdotal evidence, footy-gaf members getting fifa:
14 360
6 PS3
5 PC
1 Vita (lol)

(anecdotal evidence is silly)

My first 2 prediction of NA and EU werent based on Anecdotal. I do follow sales thread and i was just predicting it

My last point was silly but oh well :p

rvy

Banned
Be careful what you wish for. If America got serious about soccer they would just dominate like every other sport and the rest of the world would another reason to hate the USA.

KuGsj.gif

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Good for them. Hopefully EA realizes that there is hope for their shitty Madden and NBA Live series, the games just need to be good.

Top Bottom