• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

black ops declassified hands on: Eh.

Haven't seen a thread about actual hands on with this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-be-skeptical

In short,

-controls are iffy due to grenades and melee mapped to touch screen and 30fps.
-sprint is always on by default (or togglable with down dpad like in resistance vita)
- maps are TINY. Can be killed after spawn.
- perks weapons etc is like BLOPS1.
- Dev's said it was impossible to do a 60fps CoD on vita (from the latest Rebel FM).

Remember game is $50.

vandamme.gif

Jb

I thought it looked that bad precisely because it was 60 fps. Damn that's just sad.

Mario007

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-be-skeptical

In short,

-sprint is always on by default (or togglable with down dpad like in resistance vita)
- Dev's said it was impossible to do a 60fps CoD on vita (from the latest Rebel FM).

Remember game is $50.

its still going to sell better than any other vita game which is a damn shame.

whitehawk

Banned

In short,

Remember game is $50.
Seriously?

Sad thing about this is that when it inevitably bombs people will blame the quality of this port as the reason the Vita is performing poorly.

whitehawk

Banned
I don't understand why Sony let Nihilistic do this game. If handed properly, COD Vita could be amazing. Port over the multiplayer/zombies/spec ops from Black Ops 2. Let players use the same account for both Vita and PS3, so you can level up at home or on the go. Make sure it's 60fps and you're good to go.

Hell you don't even have to do that. Just make it 60fps, control properly, make the multiplayer more than 4vs4 (smh) and let a competent developer handle it.

vg260

Great. The one time I actually want this series to sell to help the Vita survive. (I like the system). Blah.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know this game and the dev had such bad reputations. Sounds like quite the clusterfuck.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Seems more like a case of incompetence rather than it being impossible.

Studio Liverpool (RIP) didn't manage to get Wipeout up to 60fps either, it is possible the Vita just doesn't have quite the umph needed to hit 60FPS for what they want to pull off in some of these games.
That and Nihilistic has a not so great engine that looks a bit meh.

I am starting to feel a bit sorry for them tbh, it seems at this point they are taking what they can to develop to make money, not making something they want to which I image would kind of suck all the time, ignoring the rush they are no doubt having to go through to get it out.

Toki767

I wonder what the relative power of the Vita is to the Wii...I mean...they ported Black Ops on to the Wii. They should've just ported it to the Vita. I wouldn't even mind that it wasn't new.

Iacobellis

In short,

Remember game is $50.

So iDevices are more powerful than the Vita now? I've seen plenty of 60FPS or extremely detailed 30FPS shooters on the iPhone for a year or two now.

Zeroth

I don't understand why Sony let Nihilistic do this game. If handed properly, COD Vita could be amazing. Port over the multiplayer/zombies/spec ops from Black Ops 2. Let players use the same account for both Vita and PS3, so you can level up at home or on the go. Make sure it's 60fps and you're good to go.

Hell you don't even have to do that. Just make it 60fps, control properly, make the multiplayer more than 4vs4 (smh) and let a competent developer handle it.

Nihilistic was probably the only dev available taking in consideration the development time and that had a Vita FPS engine from the get-go. I guess it was either release this now or wait 1 more year to release a COD on Vita, which some probably consider too late.

Of course, this doesn't make the situation any less sad than it is.

Meelow

Banned
I wonder what the relative power of the Vita is to the Wii...I mean...they ported Black Ops on to the Wii. They should've just ported it to the Vita. I wouldn't even mind that it wasn't new.

The strange thing also about that is the Wii versions of Call of Duty have 5v5, and I think 6v6 in Modern Warfare 3 (don't quote me on that).

whitehawk

Banned
Studio Liverpool (RIP) didn't manage to get Wipeout up to 60fps either, it is possible the Vita just doesn't have quite the umph needed to hit 60FPS for what they want to pull off in some of these games.

I am starting to feel a bit sorry for them tbh, it seems at this point they are taking what they can to develop to make money, not making something they want to which I image would kind of suck all the time, ignoring the rush they are no doubt having to go through to get it out.
I wouldn't mind if the downgraded the visuals in order to get 60fps at all. Virtua tennis runs at 60fps/native res/+AA. While it does have a small environment, the character models are incredibly detailed.

Danielsan

The reason Wipeout doesn't run at 60fps on the vita is because it looks visually stunning. Black Ops Declassified look like a turd.

Zeroth

I wouldn't mind if the downgraded the visuals in order to get 60fps at all. Virtua tennis runs at 60fps/native res/+AA. While it does have a small environment, the character models are incredibly detailed.

Well, you could argue it's easier to pull 60 FPS on Virtua Tennis because technically there aren't many elements going on that use the processor. The same can't be said about more complex games, like Wipeout or COD, which have multiple models and stuff happening at the same time.

I'm surprised Sony gave the COD IP to Nihilistic and not to a developer with a better track record..

Even though R:BS was underwhelming at best, they were the only dev who had made an FPS on the Vita. Activision clearly didn't want to develop it and Nihilistic was right there for Sony. What's next? A Nihilistic developed Bioshock? I hope not.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Same here, I don't mind how behind CoD is visually because they keep up that 60fps on consoles and imo is one of its strong points even if most probably don't notice or even know.

But I think their engine just isn't that great generally, it works on Vita but I doubt it takes advantage of the hardware at all, I imagine they probably don't want to muddy up the visuals as they are trying to sell Vitas on it.

Toki767

Even though R:BS was underwhelming at best, they were the only dev who had made an FPS on the Vita. Activision clearly didn't want to develop it and Nihilistic was right there for Sony. What's next? A Nihilistic developed Bioshock? I hope not.
Running joke in the Vita thread is a Nihilistic developed Borderlands

In short,

Remember game is $50.

And people said this would get draw CoD fans to Vita?

1320851_o.gif

"Dev's said it was impossible to do a 60fps CoD on vita"

LOL

Still I hope this game sells enough that Activision see they should do there next game in house.

yeah but they were clearly going for an amazing visual presentation.

a COD game, like others have said, should be pretty barebones multiplayer/zombies experience that could even have crossplay statistics with your Black Ops 2 account to really emphasize that sony slogan "never stop playing". the visuals could be nothing to write home about(like they are now), just as long as it hits that 60fps.

Skyzard

Banned
I really wish Sony made someone else do it. These guys were always just going to rush port their previous game engine which wasn't exactly a major hit was it.

The reason Wipeout doesn't run at 60fps on the vita is because it looks visually stunning. Black Ops Declassified look like a turd.

As much of a framerate bitch and a wipeout fanboy that I am, I've gotten used to wipeout being 30fps on the previous handheld games. The game can still be controlled well enough as long as the framerate is stable which it is for 95% of the game (the other 5% is the slowdowns in A+ races (not tt/sl)).

COD really needs 60fps for it to feel like COD. 30 fps is killzone territory (never played a resistance game myself).

It's going to piss a lot of trusting consumers off when they see a resistance clone..especially if they buy a bundle.

I did hear they improved the graphics since the last shots we saw but the game still didn't feel like CoD from what I read.

Top Bottom