• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

black ops declassified hands on: Eh.

Sounds good. Looking forward to COD on Vita.

the-very-best-of-the-futurama-fry-meme.jpg%253Fversion%253D1308337289000

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty much knew this would be the case.

Don't know why people felt COD would somehow give the Vita a ton of mainstream appeal. Most would more than likely prefer to play COD on bigger screens for systems that they already purchased, especially when there's far more people to play with on PS3/360 than there are on the Vita.

$300+ just to play a worse (portable) version of a game when I could just spend $60 and get the better version that's for a console I already own?

mj-laughing.gif

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I want to know what they did within that 5 year time frame between Redemption and Marvel Nemesis. Twiddle their thumbs?

Supposedly, Blizzard contacted them about Starcraft: Ghost.

StarCraft: Ghost is a military science fiction stealth-action video game previously under development by Blizzard Entertainment. Part of Blizzard's StarCraft series, the game was announced on September 20, 2002, and was to be developed by Nihilistic Software for the Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, and PlayStation 2 video game consoles. Several delays in development caused Blizzard to move back the release date and the game has not yet materialized. Nihilistic Software ceded development to Swingin' Ape Studios in 2004 before Blizzard bought the company, and plans for the GameCube version were canceled in 2005.

Sean

Banned
Nihilistic was probably the only dev available taking in consideration the development time and that had a Vita FPS engine from the get-go. I guess it was either release this now or wait 1 more year to release a COD on Vita, which some probably consider too late.

Of course, this doesn't make the situation any less sad than it is.

Call of Duty was the very first game announced for the Vita ("NGP") back in January 2011. If they had actually started working on the game at that point, there would've been almost a two year development cycle. That's more than enough time for any developer, especially when they're getting assets from the console version.

I'm not sure why people think Nihilistic was the only option here. Sony/Activision probably chose them only because they were the cheapest.

when I could just spend $60 and get the better version that's for a console I already own?

but it's not supposed to be competing with the consoles at home, i would play a good portable FPS since my Vita is always in my bag and i have long train rides almost every day.

patapuf

Call of Duty was the very first game announced for the Vita ("NGP") back in January 2011. If they had actually started working on the game at that point, there would've been almost a two year development cycle. That's more than enough time for any developer, especially when they're getting assets from the console version.

I'm not sure why people think Nihilistic was the only option here. Sony/Activision probably chose them only because they were the cheapest.

I'm sure one of the reasons the game looks like it does is budget.

but it's not supposed to be competing with the consoles at home, i would play a good portable FPS since my Vita is always in my bag and i have long train rides almost every day.

It's SP feature are pretty barebones though. Online play during commute is not an option if you want playable connection speeds.

Deadbeat

Banned
They made Vampire:The Masquerade - Redemption. And then twelve years of shit. Wow. While we're at it, V:TMR is underrated.
I assume most of that talent left or it was a fluke. Their other games would still have flashes of quality if they were that good of a developer.

Ridley327

I suspect there was a reason why that game was pulled from them and then eventually vanished, but it does explain what they were doing in that time span.

Their version was the Splinter Cell-esque game that originally debuted. Whatever Swingin' Ape did was far less appealing, but it does make you wonder what the hell was going so wrong for them for Blizzard to pull the plug on the original concept.

Darknight

Even if they sold the MP/Zombies on PSN running @60fps, I would of bought it.

Shame they shat all over this game...all parties involved.

Toki767

I suspect the only way this would entice new Vita buyers is if it were sold for like $10 through digital download

SCE is usually better a picking out second party partners than this:

UHXIu.png

I dunno, Idol Minds aren't that much better and Sony have been working with them since the PS1. Though I guess with them taking Warrior's Lair off them, that relationship might be ending soon.

So are Sony the ones publishing this? I'm just wondering if they could sneak a Killzone: Mercenary trailer into the game..

GDGF

Soothsayer
For some reason I'm wondering what would have happened if they got High Voltage Software (the Conduit guys) to port this over.

Mario007

I dunno, Idol Minds aren't that much better and Sony have been working with them since the PS1. Though I guess with them taking Warrior's Lair off them, that relationship might be ending soon.

So are Sony the ones publishing this? I'm just wondering if they could sneak a Killzone: Mercenary trailer into the game..

No it's published by Acti, which makes the comments about Sony letting Nihlistic doing this all the more ridiculous...

apana

I think a big screen is an important part of the experience. Part of the reason why young males play games like these is they want to feel badass with their big gun on screen. That is hard to do on a smaller screen. It is different from racing which actually works kind of well on handhelds because that same mentality isn't there.

Mario007

Totally forgot that bundle even existed. The AC3 Liberations bundle is just way more enticing plus it looks like the developers actually tried there.

To be honest Ubi gave the job to a studio that has yet to prove itself but those guys seem pretty talented from what we've seen from Liberation (since its their first game).

But yeah at least Ubi admits the game exists as opposed to Acti.

Shinta

Banned
I think that all the hands on impressions are colored by the fact that everyone has built this up to be the Vita's savior. So they play and the first they say is, that's it? It's probably a decent handheld FPS. The portable versions are never supposed to be directly compared to their console counterparts, but in this case, that's going to be impossible.

I think that all the hands on impressions are colored by the fact that everyone has built this up to be the Vita's savior. So they play and the first they say is, that's it? It's probably a decent handheld FPS. The portable versions are never supposed to be directly compared to their console counterparts, but in this case, that's going to be impossible.

Vita's saviour? No one was claiming that after word got out it was being developped by Nihilistic. It probably won't be a decent handheld FPS. What CoD put out on consoles is definetly do-able on the Vita. Its just that its developped in a short amount of time.

Deadbeat

Banned
People have already compared it to the DS Black Ops game which had zombie mode and 6 player multiplayer. Feature set isnt adding up.

I'm just going to assume that Sony/Activision being willing to put this game out means they think Vita owners are idiots

Oh sure, I bought a Vita so obviously I'm not that smart, but even this seems to be insulting my intelligence. It sounds terrible from the stuff in here and the other thread

Vita's saviour? No one was claiming that after word got out it was being developped by Nihilistic. It probably won't be a decent handheld FPS. What CoD put out on consoles is definetly do-able on the Vita. Its just that its developped in a short amount of time.

Hell they were able to get it to run quite well on the Wii for crying out loud. And the Vita has a lot more RAM and better hardware to go with. Of course, the Wii titles were developed in house by Treyarch. The Wii versions also started out with 4 vs 4 (WAW) and ultimately got up to 5 vs 5 (BLOPS MW3) sure some killstreaks were missing (which personally felt like a good thing) and Zombies was limited to only Kino der Toten, but the effort was there and highly commendable. Where other dev. would just use the Wii as a dumping ground for their interns experiments, Treyarch really pushed the envelope.

Now I could see this game be tons of fun still. Resident Evil Mercenaries on 3DS was a shitload of fun for me, and I played it over 60 hours. It was limited and pretty much a beta test for Revelations, but the short mission based approach worked amazingly well on the handheld. I could see this becoming a similar case.

Let's not kid oursevles: Declassified has been soaked in skepticism ever since it was announced. Same can be said of Liberation, except that game has gone on to prove itself as being more than some lazy, bucket-scraping attempt at a handheld spin-off.

yurinka

I'm a Vita fan and never bought a CoD game, so I obviosly will skip this one.

UHXIu.png
WTF, the one who decided to give CoD to these guys was just crazy.
Let's hope that even if the game is shit, it sells a lot of Vita bundles because it says CoD in the box.
Let's hope that is not that bad to scare too much of these users.
It's really sad, because it was a great opportunity to both Sony and Activision to have a huge seller.

test_account

XP-39C²
"or by pressing down on the D-pad (which, again, requires me to take my thumb off the analog stick)"

This shouldnt be necessary unless you have a really small thumb. Once you push the stick up, the down button on the d-pad is close enough to be touched without removing the thumb from the analog stick. It is easier with a clickable analogstick of course, but the other method works fine i think.

"or by pressing down on the D-pad (which, again, requires me to take my thumb off the analog stick)"

This shouldnt be necessary unless you have a really small thumb. Once you push the stick up, the down button on the d-pad is close enough to be touched without removing the thumb from the analog stick. It is easier with a clickable analogstick of course, but the other method works fine i think.

Or they could have mapped it to the back touch pad like normal people.

People have already compared it to the DS Black Ops game which had zombie mode and 6 player multiplayer. Feature set isnt adding up.

Wow...

MechaX

UHXIu.png

Oh God, I played Marvel Nemesis too.

Between Sony and Capcom, what in the world are some of these developers doing to get shots at big franchises despite having poor track records?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I will never buy this game. My Vita deserves better.
It's telling that Sony clearly aren't interested in making this game the best it could be - only in having the franchise to tick a box. Their customers deserve better.

Top Bottom