• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 - Final Mapcount revealed

GenericUser

Appearently, there will be 14 maps on launch on october 12th, nuketown to be added for free in november.

https://charlieintel.com/2018/10/04/bo4-launch-maps/

charlieIntel.com said:
Launch Maps:

• Frequency: A covert listening station deep in the mountainous region of Hunan Province is being used to track strategic targets across the globe.
  • Contraband: Surveillance of an international arms smuggling operation has uncovered this shipping hub on a remote, uncharted island off the coast of Colombia.
  • Seaside: An anti-government protest in this quaint coastal Spanish town grew out of control and forced a military shutdown.
  • Payload: A defensive ICBM launch facility deep in an Icelandic mountain range has been infiltrated by hostile forces attempting to steal a nuclear warhead.
  • Hacienda: A lavish vineyard estate situated on a quiet lake in the Spanish countryside, home to a high-ranking crime syndicate boss.
  • Gridlock: A Japanese metropolis whose city center has been jammed up by a bank heist gone wrong.
  • Arsenal: Hostile covert ops on a manufacturing facility of a powerful North American military defense contractor means someone may have stolen the keys to the castle.
  • Icebreaker: A long lost Nuclear submarine in the Arctic houses a uranium supply which a Russian unit has come to salvage.
  • Morocco: Rebels in a small Moroccan village are using government military supply planes as target practice as they fly over the surrounding Sahara Desert.
  • Militia: Anti-government extremists backed covertly by a Russian cell are stockpiling weaponry in a remote region of Alaskan wilderness near the Bearing Strait.
  • Jungle: Black Ops Flashback – The heat is on as Cold War forces collide in the sweltering depths of the Vietnam jungle.
  • Slums: Black Ops Flashback – Street battles rage in head to head heat through the center of a run down Panama neighborhood.
  • Firing Range: Black Ops Flashback – US Forces gear up for red team/blue team combat exercises in this Guantanamo Bay military base.
  • Summit: Black Ops Flashback – Cold War surveillance is at its peak above the clouds in the mountaintop listening post in the Ural Mountains.

I was hoping for something a little higher, like 16 or 18 maps at launch, especially considering they did not have to bother with single player, but I should never have underestimated Activisions greed. But I can live with 14 maps at launch.
I'm there day one.

15 total if you include Nuketown coming a few weeks down the line. This isn't terrible on first sight but when you realise that essentially 5 of those 15 are remakes of older maps, then we see there's a serious issue. Only 10 actual NEW maps is unacceptable when BO4 is supposed to be carried by its MP content than ever before.

The only saving grace here is if they follow a model similar to WW2, where they gave free maps to everyone every other month with each new seasonal event. If BO4 follows a similar path (which 3arc seems to be hinting at), then this initial map count may be a little more palatable.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Am I the only Gaffer who is hyped for this? I keep counting hours until I can play the game, but seems like I might be the only one.

SPGaf is majority Gaf.

Im hyped too and will be getting it day one. The Beta really got me hooked, exactly what I wanted from COD as I hated their direction change with WW2.

One thing I havent followed up on was remember when they first announced it, didnt they say something like no more season pass or whatever, everybody gets the same game and all maps. Did they change their stance? I might be remembering it wrong but I thought one of the selling points was not to have paid DLC this time around (which I know sounds too good to be true from Activision)

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Im hyped too and will be getting it day one. The Beta really got me hooked, exactly what I wanted from COD as I hated their direction change with WW2.

One thing I havent followed up on was remember when they first announced it, didnt they say something like no more season pass or whatever, everybody gets the same game and all maps. Did they change their stance? I might be remembering it wrong but I thought one of the selling points was not to have paid DLC this time around (which I know sounds too good to be true from Activision)

I think they are doing payed DLC as they said Playstation would only be getting 7 day exclusivity with this game, take that as what u will

https://www.google.rs/amp/s/www.vg2...-ops-4-no-multiplayer-season-pass-rumour/amp/

"According to Gaming Intel, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 will ditch the season pass model for multiplayer maps. Instead, players can expect one or two maps every month for free.

Zombies maps, which have traditionally been part of the multiplayer season pass, are said to be getting their own separate season pass. It’s not clear how many Zombie maps Treyarch plans to release to justify a season pass, or really how much it’s going to cost to begin with."

This was back in May though. Sounded like no DLC for maps only Zombies but since then I havent heard anything.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Am I the only Gaffer who is hyped for this? I keep counting hours until I can play the game, but seems like I might be the only one.

SPGaf is majority Gaf.

I'm hooked on Destiny again, but it'll have some competition a week from now. I really enjoyed the multiplayer beta, and Blackout was pretty fun too.

https://www.google.rs/amp/s/www.vg2...-ops-4-no-multiplayer-season-pass-rumour/amp/

"According to Gaming Intel, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 will ditch the season pass model for multiplayer maps. Instead, players can expect one or two maps every month for free.

Zombies maps, which have traditionally been part of the multiplayer season pass, are said to be getting their own separate season pass. It’s not clear how many Zombie maps Treyarch plans to release to justify a season pass, or really how much it’s going to cost to begin with."

This was back in May though. Sounded like no DLC for maps only Zombies but since then I havent heard anything.

Sadly, none of that was true. I believe they are going to offer DLC maps as part of preview events, and give away more content than ever before, but there's still going to be a season pass, and it's still going to split the community, and I'm still not going to buy it because it's like playing on hard mode.

Casual players don't pay for maps, and hardcore fans aren't fun to play against. Booo, Activision. Booooooo.

Last edited:
Appearently, there will be 14 maps on launch on october 12th, nuketown to be added for free in november.

https://charlieintel.com/2018/10/04/bo4-launch-maps/

I was hoping for something a little higher, like 16 or 18 maps at launch, especially considering they did not have to bother with single player, but I should never have underestimated Activisions greed. But I can live with 14 maps at launch.
I'm there day one.
They didn't have to deal with single player but they did build a Battle Royale mode into the game.

Codes 208

15 if you include nuketown as a freebie. And 16 if you include Blackout. Plus the game launches with three zombie maps.
In comparison WW2 launched with 10 maps (or 13 if you include that shit war mode), and IW launched with 12. This isnt MW3 long of a list but its serviceable.

Then again, Im likely just going to no-life Blackout and play zombies with my brother.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I’m hyped AF, but to be honest it looks like it will be mainly close quarters battles.

For the most part, I would guess so. There weren't many really long sight-lines in the beta. I'm hyped to be able to play Black Ops 1 maps again. Personally, I hope they add some more free maps that are remakes. Just about all the maps in the original Black Out were either good or great.

thief183

I'm interested in Cod for the first time in decades... and mostly cause it is multiplayer only (hoping that they put more effort in the mode)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
For the most part, I would guess so. There weren't many really long sight-lines in the beta. I'm hyped to be able to play Black Ops 1 maps again. Personally, I hope they add some more free maps that are remakes. Just about all the maps in the original Black Out were either good or great.

I just don’t understand why we need 15 close quarter maps. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not asking for battlefield sized maps, but would be nice to be able to aim a little further than 1 meter ahead. Black Ops 1 maps were somewhat large compared to newer ones.

Tygeezy

SPGaf is majority Gaf.
No, I am, it's the first call of duty for me since black ops 2 and before that Modern Warfare 1. I had a blast in blackout mode and will be giving zombies a shot given that it Halloween. They just need to upgrade their 10 hz tick-rate servers.

Akuza89

Is it just me that it seems like 14 is very low...?

I mean we know that there will be 3 map packs during it's time... 3 of which will be "throw back maps"... so lets call it 20 with the NEW maps not including the "throw back" ones... it seems a little low.

I am saying this, but I haven't touched a cod in around 3 games and this will be the 4th as I've no intention of getting it haha

Top Bottom