• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.11.7 on Wii U system features - Nov. 7, 6AM EST

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I don't understand... friend code are confirmed then? just like the 3ds?

How on earth did you reach that conclusion? There's a whole OP of info and multiple videos that explain what a Nintendo Network ID is and how it differs from friendcodes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the part where it says some games can share save data across multiple users. I guess they'll use that for something like an Animal Crossing game, where you could have individual saves per user, and a single world you all access.

Have they said anything about parental controls? If I buy anything digitally, I won't want my kids to be able to play those I decide are inappropriate - eg ZombieU.

Just got home.

OMG THEY DID IT !!! OMG they actually did it!!!

A FUCKING USERNAME with a email and password OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

437120-20japanese_macaque20lolwut20macaque20monkey20reaction_image.jpg

If you don't want to use certain advanced features of the Wii U, you can stick to friends codes. Alternatively, you can use your Nintendo Network ID. Also, you can add people from within MiiVerse and games.

Erethian

How do you find them, though?

In the game-specific discussion areas on Miiverse.

If you don't want to use certain advanced features of the Wii U, you can stick to friends codes. Alternatively, you can use your Nintendo Network ID. Also, you can add people from within MiiVerse and games.

Your online ID is your Nintendo Network ID. It's also your eShop account, and persists across devices (both Nintendo and non-Nintendo).

Randdalf

How on earth did you reach that conclusion? There's a whole OP of info and multiple videos that explain what a Nintendo Network ID is and how it differs from friendcodes.

Yeah but it says

And in addition to being able to exchange each other’s ID numbers as with the previous Friend Codes

in the Iwata Asks, which implies that Nintendo Network IDs are in fact numbers. Also note how no mention is made of choosing your ID in the Nintendo Direct, which suggests it is generated for you, again it points towards numbers.

To be honest there's nothing saying explicitly what NNIDs actually are, but I'm not hopeful.

vall03

I don't understand... friend code are confirmed then? just like the 3ds?

as a user, we really dont need to think about the 'number' tied to our Nintendo Network ID. Its still there in the backend but wouldn't matter much with account names. They did say, we can easily add friends from Miiverse with few simple steps.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey guys!

Did you know Steam ID is also made up of numbers! Sure you assign a name to it, but in the database they're unique numbers!

Also, in PS3 you can play games installed in it that is owned by another account!

Honestly, I'm surprised at a bunch of people here...

LeleSocho

Banned

It seems that i lack reading skill then... i totally misinterpreted what is wrote on the OP the first time i read it, sorry :/

Erethian

Hey guys!

Did you know Steam ID is also made up of numbers! Sure you assign a name to it, but in the database they're unique numbers!

Also, in PS3 you can play games installed in it that is owned by another account!

Your account username for Steam is a unique non-numeric identifier, though. Except because I signed up to Steam when it first started mine is an e-mail address.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah but it says

in the Iwata Asks, which implies that Nintendo Network IDs are in fact numbers. Also note how no mention is made of choosing your ID in the Nintendo Direct, which suggests it is generated for you, again it points towards numbers.

To be honest there's nothing saying explicitly what NNIDs actually are, but I'm not hopeful.

Technically that doesn't mean much, the difference between numbers and not numbers are that you can change your username fairly easily like steam and battlenet since your Id isn't linked to your username. The only real differene is whether you actually have a name being displayed to others or numbers. I doubt they'll force you type in the numbers to login, so that's really the only potential issue.

TunaLover

Hmmmm...says two things at once there. One worries, one excites.
Nintendo.
How I understand, every member will have its own Nintendo ID, and don't need extra per games codes, the ID will be masked for somekind of user name, inside Miiverse you can add people just by seeing her/his name, outside Miiverse you need input a Friend Code.

Nosgoroth

Using the ID I guess. User names don't have to be unique, so you couldn't use those to search anyone. Like Steam and Battle.net, basically.

Which is a number, which is then basically a service-wide friend code, a refinement from the device-wide friend codes on 3DS.

I actually have absolutely no problem with this. Having a "display name" and an "ID name" can get confusing. I have this username because it's never taken anywhere, but it was somehow taken on Steam, and I was forced to make up a different one for ID, and that's supremely annoying.

they havent really talked about standard online gaming features have they? I mean frieds popping up when going online, matchmaking etc.
That worries me a bit.
Anyway the whole miiuniverse idea feels like next gen online gaming. And is something very appealing to casual gamers

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Your account username for Steam is a unique non-numeric identifier, though. Except because I signed up to Steam when it first started mine is an e-mail address.

Prior to that your name actually has a numerical equivalent. I forgot what the format is, but you definitely have one.

With that said, it's not like you'll be typing a number when adding someone. Simply pushing Add seems to be the deal here.

vall03

How I understand, every member will have its own Nintendo ID, and don't need extra per games codes, the ID will be masked for somekind of user name, inside Miiverse you can add people just by seeing her/his name, outside Miiverse you need input a Friend Code.

well this is something I didn't notice earlier. But heres a question then, where will majority of friend requests come from, inside or outside Miiverse?

MYE

Thats how I see it. Seems good to me

Erethian

If by Friend Code you mean your Nintendo Network ID, then yeah.

How do you find them, though?

Iwata did the unboxing video ad lib, as you might've expected, and they only had one box to work with. He was also very nervous and it really was the first time he had opened the box.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/statuses/266163051219263488
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/statuses/266163294400835584

I love how, after being so carefully unboxing it he says 'Well, I didn't do a very good job of keeping that tidy, but...'

Made me smile.

Revven

^I'm going with this.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Iwata did the unboxing video ad lib, as you might've expected, and they only had one box to work with. He was also very nervous and it really was the first time he had opened the box.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/statuses/266163051219263488
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/statuses/266163294400835584

Also, it seems Nico users were satisfied with the Direct:

cLsJu.jpg

Totally worth it to have Iwata do the unboxing, if only to troll ign and all the other sites intending to do one in order to get hits :D

I love how, after being so carefully unboxing it he says 'Well, I didn't do a very good job of keeping that tidy, but...'

Made me smile.

That's the Japanese for you. Even the smallest mistake, such as taking too long with the cardboard flap, or having the stand backwards, is intolerable.
Now imagine what it must be like being a programmer for Nintendo! Oh joy!

Yeah but it says

Hey guys!

Randalph needs a translation and someone pointing at things. He is what miiverse is all about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
well this is something I didn't notice earlier. But heres a question then, where will majority of friend requests come from, inside or outside Miiverse?

it'll vary by user. Where do most of your PSN/XBL friends come from - inside games via multiplayer, or outside games via forums etc?

Hobby

Here's what user profiles look like.

Follow and friend request buttons.

Will
ID: willwill
Number of times people empathized with him: 0
Birthday: not publically displayed
Game experience: advanced user

Number of comments: 9 (can be viewed)
Friends: - / 100 (can be viewed presumably)
Following: - / 1000 (can be viewed presumably)
Followers: - (can be viewed presumably)

- People you are friends with and are following's activity will be displayed under the "Everyone's activity" button on the left side panel.
- Friend requests sent privately via messages.

MNC

Absolutely horrible.

Will

DUDE WHAT? ID: <name>????

Ugh. This is a "user", right? Not the "account". MEH.

The fact the ID is a number isn't bad. The fact there's no alias (confirmed so far) or the fact sharing is done with the number is the horrible part. You don't search Steam IDs with the number.

Will

Sweet, should post here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44086660

So 1000 followers and 100 friends are the max?

Ydahs

So let me get this straight. There's a Nintendo Network ID, which is a number? Surely you'll have a username of some sort though, unless your login id to the service is your email address? Doesn't sound likely though.

If it's username based, it makes no sense not to give the ability to the user to add friends via a username, since each user is uniquely mapped to an id in the backend anyway.

Since Miiverse works like this:
Wii no Ma was a format that was installed on the client side, but Miiverse is an Internet service so we can change the service however we want from the server side. Deciding things afterwards is common in the world of the Internet, but not so much so in the world of video games.
... Nintendo can still retroactively add the ability to add friends via a username if it's not already possible. Hopefully they do so if a username is involved.

edit: just saw Hobby's post. Good news.

Only downside is that it looks like 3DS Nintendo ID accounts wont be coming till next year. Would have been great if 3DS got accounts @ the same time.

Will

People you are friends with and following's activity will be displayed under the "Everyone's activity" button on the left side panel.

okay, this is actually great!

Absolutely horrible.

DUDE WHAT? ID: <name>????

The fact the ID is a number isn't bad. The fact there's no alias (confirmed so far) or the fact sharing is done with the number is the horrible part. You don't search Steam IDs with the number.

This seems to confirm that you have a ACCOUNT NAME then the Network ID; in this case willwill.

The number thing is coming from a line that is very vague. I suspect its confusion.

Coolwhip

Banned
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait ..... WAIT

Did Iwata get a haircut?

Top Bottom