• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Error2k4 said:
what did you expect is one half of the story....
I expected more, I can tell you that. It was just too short and almost nothing happened in it, there were other cutscenes with much more going on than the ending itself. When I beat a game I expect to have fancy cutscenes that make me feel like I accomplished something. With DDS1, it was basically "you beat the last boss, now buy our next game".

Avalon said:
It ends a bit abruptly, but it was still good. >_<

Hope you like DDS2. I found it a bit more challenging.
I'm liking it so far, I'm about to start the
Powerplant.
At first I thought it was much easier, but now the dificulty is starting to pick up, thankfully.

Just got DDS2. Finally. I'm going to restart DDS1 as soon as I finish playing through Devil Summoner for a review!

By the way: Devil Summoner = AMAZING. Battle system isn't incredible, but everything else about the game shows how a lower budget RPG can have so much more heart and charm than anything Squenix has ever released.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
!

my ps2 has to die at the wrong time :(

I still hope to have a new one before Devil Summoner comes out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Error2k4 said:
!

my ps2 has to die at the wrong time :(

I still hope to have a new one before Devil Summoner comes out.

There there, error. :(

shinokou said:
Just got DDS2. Finally. I'm going to restart DDS1 as soon as I finish playing through Devil Summoner for a review!

By the way: Devil Summoner = AMAZING. Battle system isn't incredible, but everything else about the game shows how a lower budget RPG can have so much more heart and charm than anything Squenix has ever released.

****ing awesome!

when is the expected US release again???

Error

October 10

dunno if Himuro is going to make the official thread but if he does... I hope he lets me do the P3 official thread :)

reading that Himuro? :p

Error2k4 said:
October 10

dunno if Himuro is going to make the official thread but if he does... I hope he lets me do the P3 official thread :)

reading that Himuro? :p

wow, so soon?

fvcking day one purchases my biotches! :D :D :D

Error2k4 said:
how is DDS1 going btw?

I've been really busy, so progress has been slow. But right now, I'm heading into the main tower since I just finished off Varin

....this game has me by the testies all the way :D, I adore the story oh so much

Error

AgentOtaku said:
I've been really busy, so progress has been slow. But right now, I'm heading into the main tower since I just finished off Varin

....this game has me by the testies all the way :D, I adore the story oh so much
wait till you play DDS2

imo DDS2>>>>>>>DDS1 in everything.

never thought to ask, but since the release date for Raidou is coming up, is there anyword if the localization has a english dub ala DDS???

Error2k4 said:
imo DDS2>>>>>>>DDS1 in everything.

So many people think just the opposite in this thread, and just as many agree with you. Which, for some reason, makes me so much more hyped for this game.

About Devil Summoner: using demons to manipulate NPCs into helping you get clues is such a damned good idea. Even though the battles aren't too difficult -- at least, not yet, as I haven't finished the game -- you still need to at least focus on having a diverse crew of demons to make the episodes go by smoothly.

Error

whoever say DDS1 is better is just wrong, DDS1 feels like half a game imo of course while DDS2 feels more complete.

also the mantra system in DDS2 allows for far more freedom than the linear mantra system of DDS1.

dont get me wrong DDS1 rox, but DDS2 is much better imo.

NichM

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
never thought to ask, but since the release date for Raidou is coming up, is there anyword if the localization has a english dub ala DDS???

None of Devil Summoner was voiced in the first place, so there's no acting to dub. It's straight text a la Nocturne.

Avalon

DDS I and II are the same f'en game. Why fight over which is better.

I enjoyed the last half of DDS more because there was a better balance of story/gameplay

SNES Megaten games are great games. I'm almost finished with SMT II. :)

Error

does anyone knows the name of the song that plays in DDS2 when Jackfrost start asking you questions?

Error

sorry for bumping this thread so much

some new Devil Summoner previews

Every aspect of the game is tied up in the investigations. Collecting demons, long the paramount feature of Shin Megami Tensei and related titles (next to the weirdo video game rock soundtracks that have been going around for the last few games, which are present here, too), is even more important than ever before. The demons, which cannot be seen by most regular folks, can cast spells to affect the direction of conversations. That's right; you play as a detective who employs not only his own detective-ish assertiveness, but the coercion of devil-spawn to solve crimes.

This isn't going to be a top-tier RPG, although it does have a pinch of Final Fantasy XII going on, where the battles are concerned. The budget behind it was obviously too small to be the "next big thing." What it is is the most creative, different RPG I've played in years, and while it has a great deal of flaws that weren't present in the other PS2 Megami Tensei games, it's the most different, experimental, and interesting of the bunch. It's not the best, necessarily, but the most thought-provoking by far. This is a game that is so incredibly Japanese that it may turn off more "Westernized" gamers, but for anybody looking for something truly innovative, this is the go-to weird RPG of the generation.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=37315&mode=thread&order=0

Digital Devil Saga aside, a “MegaTen” game isn’t complete without demon fusion. Collecting demons has a, I hate to say this, “Pokemon” feel to it, but sacrificing one demon to make another stronger or combining two to make an all-new demon isn’t something you’d see in a kids game. Fusion in Devil Summoner is one of those easy-to-learn-but-hard-to-master features and it is the key to building a strong, diverse team of demons. A good chain of fusions can result in a demon with few weakness and lots of strengths or a dud that is best used in a sacrifice fusion.

From what I’ve seen so far, Devil Summoner has all the things you expect from a Shin Megami Tensei title, but with a fun new twist. If you enjoyed action RPGs like Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Radiata Stories and Tales of Symphonia you may want to check out Devil Summoner. For “MegaTen” fans it’s a no-brainer!

http://ps2.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p29764_2.htm

and looks like this is the final boxart

smt_devilsumm_cover.jpg

Its been pretty much confirmed that there won't be any sorta extras with the Devil Summoner release huh?

....kinda dissapointing, but still a day 1 purchase :)

Avalon

Don't get me wrong. DDS2 is definitely a better game but something feels missing in DDS2 that was in DDS1.

I love the game, but I definitely got this "budget cut" vibe towards the end.

Error

the story of DDS is a big ass allegory to buddhism that's why the controversial plot twist made sense to me.

Ok, finished DDS1 this morning during my lunchbreak (..which made me late). I had ran into some difficutly and had to use a faq twice for the last two bosses, but other than that, the title was sure cocentrated awesome!

I mean, I played it for over 30 hours and still was getting the hang of the battle system, which kinda hurt me in the end fight because didn't have some essential mantras learned as well as I didn't feast as much as I should have early on in the game. Still, Look forward to applying everything I've learned to DDS2 and eventually...Nocturne!

Might take a quicky break and try Radiata Stories....

Hadji

Banned
Egh...

DDS1 had something going for it. I mean, I was really addicted to the simplistic battle system for some reason. I think I just loved the leveling system. I loved the whole gang thing too, but all of a sudden the game ended and I didn't get any story.

I finished the first one so I had to give DDS2 a chance. The story greatly improved and had it's really high points. Then, out of no where, Japanese insanity reared it's ugly head and did the unthinkable. I know that you know what I'm talking about...

DDS1 = 6
DDS2 = 6.5

Those are decent scores for a harsh grader like myself. So cheer up, you DDS lovin' emos.

what hell, according to wikipedia, there's a Digital Devil Saga that has never been released in the US!?

....now I don't read Manga, but I sure would like to catch a peek of that...

Fady K

Hadji said:
Egh...

DDS1 had something going for it. I mean, I was really addicted to the simplistic battle system for some reason. I think I just loved the leveling system. I loved the whole gang thing too, but all of a sudden the game ended and I didn't get any story.

I finished the first one so I had to give DDS2 a chance. The story greatly improved and had it's really high points. Then, out of no where, Japanese insanity reared it's ugly head and did the unthinkable. I know that you know what I'm talking about...

DDS1 = 6
DDS2 = 6.5

Those are decent scores for a harsh grader like myself. So cheer up, you DDS lovin' emos.

Cmon Hadji! I know you enjoyed DDS more than what your score says :D

Error

Avalon said:
I would kill for an official english version of SMT I and II. :(
remake of both for Wii? believe!

the Wiimote would be pretty cool for SMT1/2. imo.

oh and SMT1 is AWESOME.

I picked up a copy of Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 for the Super Famicom a couple of months ago in Japan (as well as a crap-ton of ShinMegaTen figures). Can anyone point me to a site that sells a Super Famicom - to - SNES adapter? I haven't been able to find a site with one in stock, and the ones on eBay are few and far between.

Error

dunno what my friend here in gaf does to play Sfam games on the SNES iirc she uses GameGenie.

Error2k4 said:
dunno what my friend here in gaf does to play Sfam games on the SNES iirc she uses GameGenie.

I suppose that would work as the pin sets are exactly the same and only the cartridge sizes are different. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Avalon

I visit the official Atlus USA board everyone once in a while. Mostly to dig up official upcoming release information and ask stupid question
Does anyone know if Persona 3 has a widescreen option!?

Recent, I walked into a topic I thought was pretty interesting. Basically, it was about some people feeling Megaten has stayed a bit too far from it's original path. Thing like demon conversation, extreme difficulty and overall dark atmosphere have been almost completely stripped out of of all the sub-series and in a lot of ways Nocturne only held onto very few traditional Megaten elements.

Essentially, they were saying after Cozy Okada left, Atlus R&D1 basically lost it's soul and is now only doing it for the money. All the new aspects are merely there to entice the casual gamers and now the series has basically become part of the giant wave of generic JRPGs.

I just wanted to see what the resident Megaten fans thought about the hole thing.
Link to the topic. -> http://p211.ezboard.com/fatlususadiscussionboardfrm22.showMessage?topicID=428.topic
(my replies are on the last page)

Error

I read that and although I can see where he is coming from I disagree completely with him specially with the 'megaten+funny=gay' thing, Devil Summoner NEVER took itself seriously that's why DS PS2 doesnt either.

MegaTen

Banned
It's funny you bring up the newer games enticing the more "casual" fans because five+ years ago, you were lucky to even find a place where you could find other fans of the Megami Tensei games and spinoffs. And not to mention that Atlus likes to market towards the type of gamers that will buy anything if it has "anime graphics" or something. But anyway.. well... this topic is proof of that "enticement" :lol but seriously, I agree that the games have lost something.

It's hard to describe, but like how the poster mentioned the dark feeling was missing a bit. Sure, you get that feeling with SMT III, but with DDS, Persona 3, and Devil Summoner 3, I didn't really get that feeling at all. I found it especially lacking in Persona 3. Even though the Persona games have always been a bit more "pop" like in terms of presentation and music, Persona 3 was even moreso. It was as if they tried too hard, and I didn't really care for it. I don't know.. I just miss the atmosphere of the earlier titles that focused on demon interaction and a modern setting.

I'm not saying I don't like the newer games, it's just that I always revisit where I thought R&D1 peaked with their designs. Back to the "roots" if you will. They just feel right and remind me of why I like the series.

NichM

Banned
If you didn't get "that dark feeling" from games about cannibals trying to stop God from destroying the world, I'm really not sure the problem is the games.

Avalon

I really have no idea exactly how Atlus markets Megaten in Japan. I can certainly say that anime graphics was never a reason why I became interest in the series. All I knew when Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne was released was that it had ties to Persona series and had some killer gameplay and unique storytelling.

I played SMT I and II almost immediately after finishing Nocturne. I can agree that the games do not feel the same. There is a certain malicious quality that is only found in those two games. Right from the start (hell, at the very title screen) you are hit with so many dark undertones. It was really great.

I can't say I enjoyed SMT I/II more then the recent stuff or that the dark feeling was even a critical element. Persona being my first Megaten game probably played a role in that. For me, Megaten was always about great gameplay and that gritty mature storytelling.

MegaTen said:
you were lucky to even find a place where you could find other fans of the Megami Tensei games and spinoffs.

Megaten was Japan's third largest RPG series at one point... Why were there lack of fans?

Top Bottom