• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

Skilletor

Is it better then Ninja Gaiden 3? That's all I really care about.

Really low bar to set. Most things are better than NG3.

Haven't played much, but the animation in this is awful. So janky.

Framerate seems pretty smooth, though it definitely doesn't feel like 60fps. I'll have to play more when I get home tonight.

Dahbomb

I defiantly didn't get all of the orbs and got a SS rank, so I dunno.
I found all the secrets though (on a previous run)
SS rank is the new A rank. SSS is the highest rank in the game now.

SOS mode has those new flying enemies too (more humanoid Cherubs). That's a nice surprise.

How was the game on Nephilim? To be honest there is no "default" difficulty in the final game, you get the option to play 3 difficulties. If Nephilim is reasonably challenging then its ok, I could care less what Human and DH modes offer.

I presume Devil Hunter is "default or normal"

I'd place it as something slightly easier than DMC4's Devil Hunter.

To be honest, I feel bad for the poor souls who play this DmC on "human" as it would be beyond easy, to the point of boredom. Devil Hunter sounds more demanding than it is. They should really just stick to regular naming norms, i.e - easy, normal, hard, very hard, dante must die. This "human" and "devil hunter" shit is just going to confuse people.

Make no mistake, Devil Hunter is "normal mode"

Is it better then Ninja Gaiden 3? That's all I really care about.

NG3/10? Of course. DmC feels like a 7/10. Solid, fluid combat that doesn't reach the highs of previous entries in the series, or just flat-out doesn't look or feel as good as the God of War games it wants to compete with. It's very definitely 30 fps, you can feel that in every animation, every swing of your weapon, every cancel into another move, etc.

Dahbomb

I know DH is normal but its normal for the average gamer nowadays who isn't really looking for a challenge. Human is probably for those who are playing a video game for the first time. Nephilim is normal for the average action game fan.

I guess when the game comes out we can tell everyone to play on Nephilim.

Just played the demo. It was alright. I dug the combat and am going to mess around with it more later. The levels were cool, though they looked really barren, but so did previous games. Part of me likes the new Dante, but some of his lines are kind of off-putting to me personally. I like that he is cocky....old Dante was cocky, but was more cheesy.

Were Dante and Vergil always "Nephilim"? or is that just the new thing to make super human/fantasy characters these days. lol.

When is the PC version coming out? Long wait?

ezekial45

Banned
NG3/10? Of course. DmC feels like a 7/10. Solid, fluid combat that doesn't reach the highs of previous entries in the series, or just flat-out doesn't look or feel as good as the God of War games it wants to compete with. It's very definitely 30 fps, you can feel that in every animation, every swing of your weapon, every cancel into another move, etc.

Sooooo, what you're saying is that it's good and not all bad as you thought it was gonna be?

V_Arnold

You almost manage to make it sound like it is a DISEASE. Wow :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
FUuuuuuUuUUuUuuuuuuucuk
*vomit*
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Whooooooooo are YoooouuuuuuuUFUFFFUUUUUUUUCUCCCCKKK"

What ridiculous shit. It's like the worst example of !!11!!!!!111!EXTREME11!!!!!!! i've ever seen. He should wear heelies and smoke cloves as well. Just like... Whatever .. i'm here to fight the MAN, man.... FUCK YOU, BRO! DO YOU EVEN DEMON HUNT??!!??

Seinfeldimout.gif

Sooooo, what you're saying is that it's good and not all bad as you thought it was gonna be?

I said months ago that it could be a decent action game. Of all the similar action games that will come out in 2013, it will probably be worse then GoW: A, Bayonetta 2, and MGSR.

If you want to take that 7/10 and put on your NT desktop, be my guess. You can even use my name if it makes you feel better.

"Not a total disaster!" - NeoGAF

"Pretty decent video game!" says ViewtifulJC

Lucent

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
FUuuuuuUuUUuUuuuuuuucuk
*vomit*
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Whooooooooo are YoooouuuuuuuUFUFFFUUUUUUUUCUCCCCKKK"

What ridiculous shit. It's like the worst example of !!11!!!!!111!EXTREME11!!!!!!! i've ever seen. He should wear heelies and smoke cloves as well. Just like... Whatever .. i'm here to fight the MAN, man.... FUCK YOU, BRO! DO YOU EVEN DEMON HUNT??!!??

Seinfeldimout.gif

LOL! I just find this funny because two of my friends were doing this to eachother with the "do you even lift, bro!?" just to mess around. Funny stuff.

As a general precaution as somebody who did that to play a PS3 demo, you wanna double check their visual settings. I thought Uncharted 3 looked like ass because he had his ps3 set to 480p.

Wow. I didn't even know that was possible. I just remember seeing jungle type area with all the foilage and water and was like "wow...Naughty Dog is amazing D=" It's hard to believe Uncharted 3 can look bad but I guess if someone doesn't know how to set up their consoles to get the most out of the TV then yeah...

ezekial45

Banned
I said months ago that it could be a decent action game. Of all the similar action games that will come out in 2013, it will probably be worse then GoW: A, Bayonetta 2, and MGSR.

If you want to take that 7/10 and put on your NT desktop, be my guess. You can even use my name if it makes you feel better.

Close enough. :p

Now all we need is Dahbomb. Come on, man. Bring it home.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

"The game does indeed boot up when you put in your PS3/360. It is an actual video game. With teh graphics. For sure. 6/10"

MormaPope

Banned
Wow.

I was skeptical as all hell before the demo, watched a lot of gameplay and thought it looked very crude and slow compared to past Devil May Cry's. After playing the demo though this will be a day one purchase for me. Loved everything about the first demo level. It's really hard to say where this could rank amongst other Devil May Cry's, but as a game of it's own it's pretty damn good.

Glad there was a demo, might've completely dismissed this without one.

As for what I liked, the story is really hammy but it's different compared to a lot of recent stuff. Dante is surprisingly likable, his banter/dialog is actually pretty entertaining. Combat was confusing at first due to controls but it's very snappy and responsive.

My main beef with the game so far is the UI. Absolutely dreadful. Looks like a placeholder for a finalized UI.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I think how NG3 turned out was a huge surprise to everyone that didn't play the demo. But people have had years to temper their expectations for DmC. People already had their meltdowns and moved on.

Dahbomb

Alright just got some hands on the demo at a friends house.

Aside from the stuff already mentioned in the thread, enemy step resets the downward momentum of an enemy. I knew something was off in the videos but trying myself I figured out what was different. Plus the timing of enemy step is easier.

Anyone saying this game looks/feels like a 60fps game should be put on ignore. Game has responsive controls but they aren't DMC/Bayo caliber its closer to Darksiders 2 responsiveness. Game is fun and solid, will be playing the demo numerous times before I give final word.

Also DT works more like the transformation state in a GoW game than in a DMC game. What I mean by that is you build gauge slower and you don't have much time in DT but when you are in it you are godlike. DT is not overpowered at all, they scaled it back big time although the way they changed it I am not a big fan of.

Finally the environments look even more impressive in person and they aren't even the most impressive ones shown in the game. Game is very nice on the eyes.

Khezu

*dead*

Talk about reaching for the stars.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't care much about the game, I just wanted to win a bet lol.

I'm also betting against someone that it would be better then MGR, don't think I'm gonna win that one heh.

Dahbomb

This game is way fucking better than NG3, its not even a contest. Game is at least a couple tiers above NG3/10.

Not fully adjusted to the combat yet but there is solid depth in the combo system. From my initial run it was not easy getting SSS for style points although I am still not fully gripped with the combat yet.

MormaPope

Banned
Alright just got some hands on the demo at a friends house.

Aside from the stuff already mentioned in the thread, enemy step resets the downward momentum of an enemy. I knew something was off in the videos but trying myself I figured out what was different. Plus the timing of enemy step is easier.

Anyone saying this game looks/feels like a 60fps game should be put on ignore. Game has responsive controls but they aren't DMC/Bayo caliber its closer to Darksiders 2 responsiveness. Game is fun and solid, will be playing the demo numerous times before I give final word

Also DT works more like the transformation state in a GoW game than in a DMC game. What I mean by that is you build gauge slower and you don't have much time in DT but when you are in it you are godlike. DT is not overpowered at all, they scaled it back big time although the way they changed it I am not a big fan of.

Finally the environments look even more impressive in person and they aren't even the most impressive ones shown in the game. Game is very nice on the eyes.

Yup. The game is much snappier and responsive then I thought it would be, but there isn't really as much fluidity in the combat when compared to other top tier action games.

Dahbomb

How was the feel of 60 fps. :)
Game is more responsiven/fluid than your average 30fps game but not as much as your average 60fps game. NT/Capcom did what they could with the alloted frames per second.

Very much looking forward to PC version.

This game also blows the previous two NT games and DMC2 out of the water. If you purchased and liked any previous NT game... this game should be pre-ordered yesterday.

Top Bottom