• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1rtn4p

participating in these sales for years now pretty much means every sale is mostly a repeat for me now. I really wish steam would build up their game backlog. All those older games from the 80s/90s that GOG has should also be on Steam.

I want Puzzle Agent 2 to go down in price. Just finished the first and thoroughly enjoyed it, but being jobless, the current 5 bucks are too much.
I wish they were harder! Nice games and all, just some really dumb puzzles at times. Second one isn't quite as good, imo.

Should really rename this thread to Steam third party code seller sales, I've barely bought anything direct on Steam.

Jawmuncher

participating in these sales for years now pretty much means every sale is mostly a repeat for me now. I really wish steam would build up their game backlog. All those older games from the 80s/90s that GOG has should also be on Steam.

Would be seriously delicious if GOG and steam teamed up.

Is GTA:IV Complete worth getting if I already played the base game on 360 back when it first came out? Never played the expansions.

It's worth it.

Ia7R4.jpg

The Lost and Damned wasn't so fun for me but The Ballad of Gay Tony was incredible IMO.

Kammie

I wish they were harder! Nice games and all, just some really dumb puzzles at times. Second one isn't quite as good, imo.
That's a shame. But more than anything, I just enjoyed the story and atmosphere in the first. And the sarcasm. I thought of it kind of like an interactive storybook.

Jrmint

So FC3 is decent but it really sucks they force you to play through uplay. I don't understand why all these publishers feel the need to do their own platform things. All it does is make a worse experience for the end user.

Dynoro

I wonder if GOG have some form of exclusivity on some of the older titles as they help getting them up and running on XP/7 and now 8.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Did I weigh in already on how deliriously happy I am that I managed to resist the urge to buy anything from the Steam holiday sales yet? Because I totally am!

Have fun with your backlogs trailing off into the hundreds of unplayed games, suckers!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It might be best sleeping with one eye open then, that Editor's Choice sale is far too tempting. On another note, how is Sonic Generations? Sure you only purchased it five minutes ago and probably have not even installed it yet, but what's the GAF verdict? I have not played a Sonic game since SA2: Battle.
No idea, I'm at work right now (yeah, GMG isn't blocked here even though Steam is), but the demo was really fun.

I haven't looked too much at the Editor's Choice games that Amazon is going to have, any standouts?

I just noticed this. WTF!!!! And these weren't the only games I saw this done with. There's some they inflated the price of so the price didn't go down too low after the discount.

There's some shady stuff going on in this sale, I swear. For me at least, this is how a company like Valve begins losing loyalty, considering that most of us jumped on for the savings.
Between the fake Sonic bundle and the overpriced bundles, I agree. Those are completely anti-consumer practices.

Volcynika

I just noticed this. WTF!!!! And these weren't the only games I saw this done with. There's some they inflated the price of so the price didn't go down too low after the discount.

There's some shady stuff going on in this sale, I swear. For me at least, this is how a company like Valve begins losing loyalty, considering that most of us jumped on for the savings.

If you looked you'd notice the flash sale ended earlier than it should've. Pricing errors happen.

Can anyone sell me on Far Cry 3 in the daily deal or do you think I should just wait for a future sale? I have XCom, Dishonored and Sleepy Dogs all in my immediate backlog (and countless other games for after them) so don't want it unless its unlikely to be cheaper in the next month or so.

Engine is a performance hog without the looks. Great game for the first couple of days, but gets old real quick. No harm waiting I say, unless you want that new game feering for 2013.

Koroviev

If Spec Ops: the Line goes on sale again, I would highly recommend getting it. I was glad that I'd played it yesterday, but the more I think about it, I think I might play it again. This is high praise coming from someone who hardly ever feels inclined to finish a game.

jerd

Can someone from the USA help me buy The Secret World on Steam?

Can paypal immediately.

I'm not sure what your situation is but according to the Amazon thread TSW goes on sale on there tomorrow for $17.50 so you could save a few bucks.

Gamersgate going to Gamersgate. Last Remnant 94 cents, Legend of Grimrock $1.88. Both Steamworks.

It's unbelievable how many pricing errors they have.

Ninja'd. I was able to grab both, I think they fixed Grimrock though.

Dynoro

Engine is a performance hog without the looks. Great game for the first couple of days, but gets old real quick. No harm waiting I say, unless you want that new game feering for 2013.

Thanks for another viewpoint on it I have been enticed by UnluckyKate's comments but I may hold until I see if there's anything tempting for today's deals as I do have plenty of new games to play as is.

kami_sama

I'm not sure what your situation is but according to the Amazon thread TSW goes on sale on there tomorrow for $17.50 so you could save a few bucks.
But it isn't on steam, and I don't get some free things.

Don't do it. I regret it after my experience yesterday. Game has some serious design flaws despite it's awesome writing and atmosphere.
I know it some serious flaws, but for me the story and atmosphere trumps that.

Dr Dogg

Well it activates on Steam, so Valve still wins.

Yes they don't make any money on a retail purchase of steam games. But that's valves business model. Look up service based company for more info if you don't understand.

Oh totally not debating that or if anyone is a winner or not but more the case that what ever the cheapest price I can find something for is what I'm going to pay. From what I understand is that Sega set the price they charge a bricks and mortar retailer (through a distributor or suchlike), Valve and Green Man Gaming and at the end of the day you end up with a copy of Steam on your pc either way so instead of throwing money away like some people do out some rather ridiculous brand loyalty the majority of people would just pay the lowest price. As I said not really complaining just that this has been going on all year where as before 9 times out of 10 Steam was always cheaper.

Kabouter

Can anyone sell me on Far Cry 3 in the daily deal or do you think I should just wait for a future sale? I have XCom, Dishonored and Sleepy Dogs all in my immediate backlog (and countless other games for after them) so don't want it unless its unlikely to be cheaper in the next month or so.

You know what Far Cry 3 was for me? A massive disappointment. They clearly developed the game with a good plan in mind: keeping all that made Far Cry 2 unique whilst eliminating some of the more frustrating elements of it. The even got some things right, the shooting for instance feels much better than it did in Far Cry 2. They however went wrong at several points. First off, in fixing the respawning checkpoints problem, they created a new and worse problem. After taking an outpost in Far Cry 3, that area becomes boring. There is no danger. The entire game's setup is you versus a hostile world, but after taking an outpost in an area, all you have to watch out for is wildlife, which when you've progressed a bit in the game is easily dealt with.

The second problem, which is in part linked, is a problem of progression. Early on in the game, you are feeble and the world seems incredibly dangerous. With vicious wildlife and pirates seemingly everywhere, you are constantly on your guard and have to really be careful about what you do. It's fantastic. This all changes swiftly however. The thing is, the game lets you progress in terms of abilities incredibly quickly, so quickly in fact that even though you're only 1/3 of the way through the first of two islands, you have already obtained most of your abilities, and all your equipment upgrades. What's left over the remaining 80% of the game is a few guns, most of which are useless, and a few abilities that make you somewhat stronger but don't have any major impact.

This loss of the feeling of progression makes the game quite a bore, since all that's left to do is either to take outposts, which should be a more diverse activity than it actually is or to continue with the frankly poor campaign. A campaign plagued by incredible linearity and scenes we've seen in every other action game this year, one that only on rare occasions makes use of the large maps and free roaming mechanics the game has. Worse still, once the game takes you to the second island, the problems the game already had become worse.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself the first 4-5 hours of the game, but once the progression was over, and the free roaming fun was essentially done, and all there was left was a dull campaign that enjoyment soon stopped. I did finally finish it, experiencing the hilariously terrible resolution to the game's story, but yeah, I wouldn't recommend it at anywhere near full price. I'd say the first few hours were worth $5 though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Kammie

If Spec Ops: the Line goes on sale again, I would highly recommend getting it. I was glad that I'd played it yesterday, but the more I think about it, I think I might play it again. This is high praise coming from someone who hardly ever feels inclined to finish a game.
I want to second this. I just finished the game yesterday, and it was fantastic. It stuck with me and I'm eager to go through another playthrough. It seems a little derivative at first, but it quickly pulls away and sets itself apart. Truly one of the finer and more unique experiences I've ever had playing a modern game.

It's up on sale on a three-pack with Bioshock and Bioshock 2 on Amazon, for 9.99, and all redeemable on Steam. I used the 2K coupon I had from a prior purchase and got it all for 5 bucks. Crazy deal.

Dynoro

You know what Far Cry 3 was for me? A massive disappointment. They clearly developed the game with a good plan in mind: keeping all that made Far Cry 2 unique whilst eliminating some of the more frustrating elements of it. The even got some things right, the shooting for instance feels much better than it did in Far Cry 2. They however went wrong at several points. First off, in fixing the respawning checkpoints problem, they created a new and worse problem. After taking an outpost in Far Cry 3, that area becomes boring. There is no danger. The entire game's setup is you versus a hostile world, but after taking an outpost in an area, all you have to watch out for is wildlife, which when you've progressed a bit in the game is easily dealt with.

The second problem, which is in part linked, is a problem of progression. Early on in the game, you are feeble and the world seems incredibly dangerous. With vicious wildlife and pirates seemingly everywhere, you are constantly on your guard and have to really be careful about what you do. It's fantastic. This all changes swiftly however. The thing is, the game lets you progress in terms of abilities incredibly quickly, so quickly in fact that even though you're only 1/3 of the way through the first of two islands, you have already obtained most of your abilities, and all your equipment upgrades. What's left over the remaining 80% of the game is a few guns, most of which are useless, and a few abilities that make you somewhat stronger but don't have any major impact.

This loss of the feeling of progression makes the game quite a bore, since all that's left to do is either to take outposts, which should be a more diverse activity than it actually is or to continue with the frankly poor campaign. A campaign plagued by incredible linearity and scenes we've seen in every other action game this year, one that only on rare occasions makes use of the large maps and free roaming mechanics the game has. Worse still, once the game takes you to the second island, the problems the game already had become worse.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself the first 4-5 hours of the game, but once the progression was over, and the free roaming fun was essentially done, and all there was left was a dull campaign that enjoyment soon stopped. I did finally finish it, experiencing the hilariously terrible resolution to the game's story, but yeah, I wouldn't recommend it at anywhere near full price. I'd say the first few hours were worth $5 though.

Thanks for the in-depth response; I think my interest in the game is now cooling at quite a rate. I was hoping the infiltration aspect would lead to a lot more choice about how to play the game but it seems like much of that choice becomes redundant as you progress. I think I may wait now as £20 is still a little too much for 4-5 hours worth if everything after that is downhill.

diggler41

That's a shame. But more than anything, I just enjoyed the story and atmosphere in the first. And the sarcasm. I thought of it kind of like an interactive storybook.

I loved the atmosphere of the first game. Second one disappointed me. It's still good but not anywhere near as good as the first.

XShagrath

Went ahead and bit on a few more games.

Witcher 2 - I already had this on 360, but I figured better graphics (and possibly mods) might make this worth it
Far Cry 1 & 2 - These should hold me over until Far Cry 3 hits a cheaper price

Other things I've picked up:

Reccetear - My wife absolutely looooooooves this! 13 hours in the past two days!
Half Minute Hero
Dead Rising 2 Pack

And have been gifted:

FTL
Just Cause 2

Not too bad, just wish some of my other wishlist stuff would pop up.

Kammie

Gamersgate going to Gamersgate. Last Remnant 94 cents, Legend of Grimrock $1.88. Both Steamworks.

It's unbelievable how many pricing errors they have.

Ninja'd. I was able to grab both, I think they fixed Grimrock though.
Thanks. Got Last Remnant for 3.74. Not sure if I'll ever play it, but it's still a good price.

Loto

Does GTA 4 collection support an Xbox 360 controller? I noticed on the home page it says partial support.

j-wood

I look at it like this. The community and flash sales are NOTHING more than a chance to get something you missed that was a daily, with the occasional gem thrown in. It's for people who aren't nerds like it and refresh the deals every time they change.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Expecting nothing but repeats for the last 5 days of Steam sales. Repeats everywhere.

Hopefully that isn't the case. I was anticipating a Fallout sale so that I could double dip on the F3 GOTY and FNV GOTY. A sale for a Company of Heroes bundle and Alpha Protocol would be great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom