• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Asylum |OT| Nuns, and nazis, and scares! Oh, my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Saw season 1. Though it was good, but not great. But holy shit, the first episode of season 2 is sOOOOOOO much better. Looking forward to the rest. I'm assuming it just gets better?

Nemesis_

For fun, and without looking at the synopsis lines I posted, I will just guess and say:

Mary Eunice
Arthur Arden

It just makes the most sense, I can't see their character arcs going anywhere else given what we've seen thus far.

Hmm, I WAS RIGHT :3

I was so sad to see them both go though, two of my favourite characters. So weird now :(

I was so sad to see them both go though, two of my favourite characters. So weird now :(

Haven't seen the episode yet, but given how insane this show is, I wouldn't count anyone out until the credits are rolling on the season finale and the production logos have come on.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Saw season 1. Though it was good, but not great. But holy shit, the first episode of season 2 is sOOOOOOO much better. Looking forward to the rest. I'm assuming it just gets better?

It does. Its overall way better than Season 1.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Arden and Sister Mary Eunice! Nooooo! Two of the best characters gone and three episodes are left. Damn. I sort of feel like Arden's storyline didn't really go anywhere and Sister Mary Eunice should have done a whole lot more than she did. :/

All the manimals are dead now, so what ripped off Adam Levine's arm in the season premiere? Was it an alien?

The musical sequence was fucking crazy.

After such a long break shame this episode didn't really deliver.

I sort of agree. I think the three week break really interrupted the flow of the season. A lot of the stuff in tonight's episode really lost the impact it would have had had it aired on the 19th of December.

What do you guys think the clue was for season 3 in this ep? Rome? Amnesia? Marriage? Fire?

It can't be Rome, as the show is called American Horror Story. The other three things are too abstract, IMO, and a prison/hospital would be way too similar to the asylum. It might be Chicago - or - maybe it will be set on Broadway (Phantom of the Opera style horror)? Maybe the musical number was the hint?

iammeiam

For a minute when he insisted on the solo cremation I was very worried Arden was going to try to reanimate Mary Eunice. It's crazy, but I wouldn't have ruled out "zombie demon nun" as a possibility this season.

It does feel like they wrapped up the fun parts of the show this episode. Best villains either gone or totally mentally broken; Thredson's the only evil person left in the asylum. Hopefully alien craziness steps in to fill the void.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

areyouawizard.jpg

Beautiful episode. Name Game exceeded expectations and shame at whoever was poo pooing over Joe Fiennes not getting his due propers this season. He was just backburnered so he could show up in the late game with a whole lotta omgfahoghrgoahrgahfffdadjfa!!!

Zalasta

Even though seeing Arden willingly die with Sister Eunice was a beautifully tragic scene, totally not surprised to see Ryan Murphy and staff unceremoniously dumped two storylines with one stroke. What is the point of all of his experiments anyway, especially the cannibals in the asylum grounds. Why bother to summon the aliens if all they did was to bruise his ego.

Sorry, Joseph Fiennes was under utilized. Just because his character actually did something this episode doesn't excuse his absence for most of the season. I would even argue that it was never explicitly set up that he is to be the only one capable of exorcising Eunice, so anyone could've thrown her off the balcony or even killed her in various other ways. In fact, it was never even made clear why the devil couldn't jump host like it did previously.

Replicant

I agree that I too had that sinking feeling that the writers had just wiped away a storyline without explanation. Although if I think about it, I suppose there's no need for explanation. Dr.Arden did think that those creatures of his will be able to withstand nuclear weapon and that's why he did the experiment. But eventually realizes that he's out of his mind and the whole thing is a sham. They better explain WTF are the Aliens doing here though. It's the only element that doesn't mesh well with the rest of the storylines.

On the positive side, everyone acted out of their asses as usual. There better be some multiple nominations for awards for these groups. And overall, I just plain enjoy the 2nd season more than the 1st season. The fact that I don't feel like killing any of the characters because they were so fucking annoying (ie. the Harmons and Tate) is a plus for this season. I mean you know they did a great job when even the villains (ie. Sister Mary Satan and Thredson) are enjoyable.

Arden and Sister Mary Eunice! Nooooo! Two of the best characters gone and three episodes are left. Damn. I sort of feel like Arden's storyline didn't really go anywhere and Sister Mary Eunice should have done a whole lot more than she did. :/

All the manimals are dead now, so what ripped off Adam Levine's arm in the season premiere? Was it an alien?

Yeah, didn't care for that ending for either character, Arden especially. One, because his character seemed to have a bigger importance and two, I didn't really buy his love or infatuation with Sister Mary. It was kind of all over the map.

For a minute when he insisted on the solo cremation I was very worried Arden was going to try to reanimate Mary Eunice. It's crazy, but I wouldn't have ruled out "zombie demon nun" as a possibility this season.

It does feel like they wrapped up the fun parts of the show this episode. Best villains either gone or totally mentally broken; Thredson's the only evil person left in the asylum. Hopefully alien craziness steps in to fill the void.

I was expecting something more sinister from Arden as well as all season that's pretty much what his character has been about. Jumping into the fire didn't fit for me. Oh well. Thredson and the aliens are all that's left.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Horror Story Season 3: Ryan Murphy Teases

“I sorta feel like for the third version I want to do something that’s a little bit more ‘evil glamour,’” Murphy told EW.com.

“One of the things that I missed this season was I really loved having that Romeo & Juliet youth story,” he said. “I want something like that again, and we’re doing something like that in the third season.”

“We’re contemplating shooting it in a place in the country where true horror has been. We’ve got lots of delicious plans.”

I think i just want to see freak clowns thats why I am gunning for the circus/amusement park theme but you guys are probably right about the Witch thing.

For the most part enjoyed this episode, but it was definitely the weakest of the season. The musical number was totally out of left field, but fun. I am disappointed with how the Evil Nazi and Satanic Nun storylines were wrapped up. I didn't find either Arden's casket ride or Sister Mary's sudden moment of clarity/assisted suicide very satisfactory.

At least the aliens are still around somewhere.

I wonder what ripped the guy's arm off in the present day? Arden killed all of his experiments, so someone must have taken his work up. The obvious guess would be Thredson. He did step in as staff doctor during the exorcism.

Only three episodes left. I can't wait to see how it wraps up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, Arden's storyline went absolutely no where. Did we ever get told/figured out what he was working on? I mean, we see his experiments before he puts a bullet in them, but we never knew why he was working on them. What enhancements (or something like that) he was shooting for with these experiments. We're just told "the aliens do it better than you lolz" and he goes all depression. :/

And you'd think the devil would've kept a stronger hold on Mary-Eunce to where she didn't die like she did. But eh...

I really can't see the season finishing well since the major bad (the devil) is gone, but who knows... there is still the Bloodyface line to go with but knowing what happened last season they'll just puss out and have Lana give birth and not really show what's-his-face-from-last-season "son of Bloodyface in modern times" as the ending. :/

ultron87

Arden made those things as a means for humans to survive a nuclear war. I think he mentioned that when Timothy tried to shut him down after Shelley.

But I don't disagree that his story puttered out at the end there.

Zoe

Wow, Arden's storyline went absolutely no where. Did we ever get told/figured out what he was working on? I mean, we see his experiments before he puts a bullet in them, but we never knew why he was working on them. What enhancements (or something like that) he was shooting for with these experiments. We're just told "the aliens do it better than you lolz" and he goes all depression. :/

He was trying to make people who could survive anything. The aliens brought someone back to life.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm still very behind on this season every though I quite liked the first two episodes (much more than any episode in Murder House).

And I got linked to the Name Game video today. Out of context, that's the greatest thing I've seen in a really, really, really long time. Evan Peters' expressions are priceless.

They've left the ENTIRE Asylum in the care of Dr. Thresden. It makes perfect sense. They're removed all the faux antagonists and now we are left with the true danger/villain.
I am happy with where things stand now.

Pepper stole the show for me.

It made sense to have Jude initiate and have a musical sequence in her head on the show.

Dr. Arden's end was great. He lost his work, his muse and his will to live. So why not jump in the oven?

Nemesis_

i wonder if the aliens are going to revive the monsters or if one of them actually survived.

My theory about the modern day monster?
Somehow it's related to Grace's baby. Perhaps the Aliens wanted to do something similar to Arden's research but less messier, and this is the result.
Remember we haven't seen the modern-day arm ripper, so maybe it's a neater version or something.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm totally anticipating to see what kind of location the third season will be placed in...really hyped after this awesome season (so far at least, hope the finale will deliver)

What Pepper looks like outside of AHS

i2qVTsnpmlt5p.jpg

ultron87

Boring? That is pretty much the last adjective I would expect someone to use while describing this season. Hilarious trainwreck? Sure, I could hear you out. But boring? The show has more crazy nonsense and cliffhangars per episode than most shows do in a season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wow, Arden's storyline went absolutely no where.

I agree that his storyline totally fizzled out, but we did learn why he was experimenting with the manimals: He was trying to build super humans that could survive a nuclear apocalypse.

And you'd think the devil would've kept a stronger hold on Mary-Eunce to where she didn't die like she did. But eh...

My guess is that she was so "pure" that he couldn't take hold of her completely like he did with the guy in episode 2. I do wonder why he didn't jump out of her and into someone else though...

I also could have done without the extended advertisement for Glee.

It was easily funner and more entertaining than anything Glee has ever done. Also, it was probably Jessica Lange's idea; I remember reading that it was her idea to do the lounge singer flashbacks because she really wanted to sing on the show.

Dr. Arden's end was great. He lost his work, his muse and his will to live. So why not jump in the oven?

It's sort of interesting that he died inside a hot oven, considering that he was a Nazi and probably...you know...

Season 1 was great, Season 2 (seen 3 eps so far) has been so boring and gratuitous.

American Horror Story has always been extremely gratuitous. I mean, the first episode of the series had Dylan McDermott masturbating in front of an open window, ffs.

Nemesis_

There's a few more interviews popping up. SPOILERS if you haven't seen the latest episode

Lily Rabe (Sister Mary Eunice)
  • She didn't know her character would die but had an inkling it would happen.
  • She did the stunts for when Tim threw her off the balcony.
  • She considers the death a suicide rather than a murder
  • She was attracted to the twisted sense of humour that Mary Eunice had
  • She compares the painfulness of being so mean to people with the pain of heartbreak that Nora (her character in Season 1) had.
  • Sarah Paulson and Zach Quinto are very good friends of hers
  • Her favourite moment for the character was murdering the mexican in Nor'Easter. She liked the singing and dancing too.
  • Ryan Murphy and her have a very good relationship and she loves working with him - she is very keen to return to season 3

RYAN MURPHY (Creator, Writer, Producer)
  • Shooting of the musical number took a whole day, and Murphy claims he didn't really think of Glee when they were putting it together.
  • Lange has been asking him for a musical number since filming Nor'Easter
  • He didn't want the devil to just move to someone else, claiming that the only thing more powerful than the devil is the angel of death herself.
  • He liked the idea of a Nazi Doctor going into an oven so he kind of wrote this scene as an "allegory" of sort of "paying his dues".
  • Episode 11 will answer all the questions about Grace and her child, and put the story arc to a close.
  • Episode 11's opening involves Dylan McDermott and a hooker. It is the "most disturbing thing" they've done yet, apparently.
  • Overall, before the season ends, we'll have been from 1965 to 1969 to 1973 to 1981 to modern day.
  • The ending is different to season 1. Season 2 will wrap everything up and will be better for the viewer, there should be little to no questions.
  • Lange was attracted to the idea of a character who moves through the mental health system as major reforms were brought into place, so that's probably where Jude will be headed.
  • Some characters do have happy endings.
  • Next year's AHS will be "evil glamour".
  • Murphy missed having a Romeo & Juliet kind of romance (like Violet and Tate) this season. Expect it to appear in Season 3.
  • They will be shooting Season 3 in a different place - "in a place in the country where true horror has been"

Jessica Lange (Sister Judith Martin)
  • She wanted to do one more musical number after her short number earlier in the season.
  • She loves Evan Peters and the extras in the dancing scene, they all really got into it.
  • While Season 3 is "percolating", she has no requests as of yet. She asked for a drunken monologue and a musical number this year.
  • Murphy's processes and themes he explores really makes Lange interested in working with him. She loves and appreciates that she's able to get work like this at her point in her career.
  • Regarding scenes which she found confronting, she says "[the] second caning scene was, “Okay, I’ve done it. I really feel like we’ve established it. There’s nothing more we have to investigate here. I’m done. I’ve done two of these scenes; I’m not going to do anymore.”
  • She doesn't really appreciate playing physically violent characters, and enjoys and is interested by emotional violence more.
  • Eunice and Arden are definitely gone.
  • Regarding Jude's future, she says
    further down the rabbit hole, but something happens.

RATINGS are in

Episode 10 - The Name Game
Aired January 2nd
Received: 1.2 Million viewers

Unusually low? :/

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Probably people didn't know it was coming back so soon. I didn't and only found out the day before in this thread.

Yeah. I wasn't aware either... Sometimes I wonder whether this whole system of dramas being spread out across a few months with large breaks in between really works that well. Especially when some of the scheduling is done in the name of getting better ratings.

I'm not from the US so I sometimes find this sort of scheduling a bit annoying. From a production point of view it helps because they have more time to do filming but I think the general audience is more likely to give up on shows that take breaks compared to a drama that plays out every week for the whole season.

Nemesis_

So, guys, who do you want to see added to the cast for the third season?

Considering that Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Frances Conroy and Kate Mara all appeared in Nip/Tuck at some point (as well as many characters like the creepy girls mother, the bloody face impersonator and the possessed demon boy) who would you like to see have a go at American Horror Story in the future?

I'm not really all that sure about if these people are still in the good books with Ryan Murphy after their work with them (I know Sarah Paulson really shone to him after her one time appearance as Agatha) but here is who I would love to see.

Famke Janssen could play someone whether it be a motherly type or a really cunty villain. I think she did a great job as Ava in the Nip/Tuck series.

Jacqueline Bissett did a fantastic job during Season 4 as an organ dealer who worked on the black market named James, and I think she could do really well as a witch or something if that is really where the series is going for AHS 3.

Kelly Carlson played Kimber Henry and one of the most tragic (yet one of my favourite) and most damaged character throughout the whole Nip/Tuck series. Considering how long she stuck around for, I think she might be fond of Murphy and his crew and I am surprised she wasn't used in any series thus far (I mean, she's not busy is she? >_>). She's beautiful - and I really felt like she could've done well as someone in the 60s this season but oh well. Hopefully in the future!

Rosie O'Donnell did a fantastic job as white trailer trash Dawn Budge in the later seasons, and was quite funny. I mean even if she has a short guest appearance, I'd like to see her return in some capacity. It would have to be done very well though. This is probably my only suggestion that I can't 100% get behind.

Sharon Gless's portrayal of Colleen during the later seasons was utterly unerving. She was a creepy character who played the typical hollywood stalker so well. I know it's cliche, but if they went with the witch theme like they are hinting at I think she would fit in as another witch within the coven. I was won over by her as Colleen and I am sure she has it in her again for AHS.

AnnaLynne McCord played Eden Lord, a sultry and seductive school girl who managed to wrap almost all of the men of the show around her little finger. She is probably one of the sexiest characters I've witnessed on television, and (of course, depending on the setting) wish that Murphy would work with her again on Horror Story. I feel like she could do fantastic things if they worked together again. I don't think this is actually possible though - her commitments to 90210 could possibly be a hindrance.

Rose McGowan replaced Katee Sackholf as the psychotic anaesthetist in the final season of Nip/Tuck, only to leave the show shortly thereafter. She didn't really have a chance to shine though, and I feel like Rose always works with these "extreme" directors and creators so well (ie. Death Planet and other Rodriguez films). She's got more space to shine working with Murphy and I would love to see her return to his works in some capacity in the near future.

AHS-GAF, who would you like to see? Of course, it could be anyone, but Nip/Tuck alumni (to me) seem like a more likely option (and they have impressed me >_>)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AHS-GAF, who would you like to see?

In keeping with the Ryan Murphy alum theme:

Jane Lynch. I think she's a good actress, but her character on Glee is fucking horrid, so it'd be nice to see her unshackled from that.

I also think it would be interesting to see Chris Colfer as well, for the same reasons.

Nene Leakes, but only if she gets horrifically killed within seconds of her appearance.

Jayma Mays because she has weird, piercing eyes and can play unstable/unhinged as well as sweet and unassuming.

Kristin Chenoweth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom