• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late To The...Devil May Cry 2

TWILT

Banned
I finally got around to playing this...game on the Devil May Cry HD Collection.

Before I begin, I actually love the Devil May Cry series. Devil May Cry 3 is one of my favorite games ever. I loved Devil May Cry 4 despite its design problems. I also really enjoyed the original Devil May Cry (even though I had issues with its platforming and camera angles). I also love Dante as a character (he's my main character I love to use in UMvC3). I was kind of skeptical with the new DmC game, but after playing the demo (which I enjoyed); I'm going to look forward to playing it whenever I get the chance.

I've kind of ignored this game until now mainly because I kept hearing...well, how bad it was lol. All I hear is how it’s easily the worst DMC game, how easy it was and how boring Dante is. Then again, I also hear how it’s “not a bad action game, but not a good DMC game,” mostly from a friend of mine who also loves DMC. Either way, I got the HD Collection for like $20, and hey, being the worst game in the franchise of good games can’t be THAT bad, right?

…

Yeah, I decided I had enough of the game at around mission 9.

Devil May Cry 2 is terrible.

There is so much pointless running around boring and pointlessly large environments that I spent most of the time playing this game moving around trying to go from one point to another than actually fighting any enemies in this “action” game. Of course, when you DO get to an enemy, combat is so unsatisfying that it felt like a chore rather than being, y’know, fun. Dante’s sword just lacks that satisfying punch that all the other DMC games have. Doesn’t really help the enemies were uninspired as hell too (infested chopper and tank? Really game?) The game is just way too easy, and not the, “well it’s easy, but least its fun” kind of easy (which was kind of like Devil May Cry 4 for me); it’s more like the, “ugh this is so boring, shoot me now” kind of easy. Devil May Cry wasn’t fun because it was hard; it was fun because it felt like a rush to play. Devil May Cry 2 is just sleep inducing.

Devil May Cry 2 isn’t just a bad DMC game; it’s a bad game period. Is the game completely bad with no redeeming qualities? Well, it has probably the best Dante design of the franchise (too bad he’s incredibly boring to play as), I thought the desperation Devil Trigger was kind of cool and uh, the next game in the franchise is awesome! I quickly checked a guide, and I’m apparently half way done with the game (there are 18 missions in total), but I am so sick of the game, I don’t think I ever want to touch it again. That said, I might go back to it sometime just for the sake of completing it…but I don't know.

Oh is there a second disc where I can play as Lucia? Yeah no, I'm never touching that unless somehow it's amazing which I doubt it is.

I heard about this and I can't find the info for the fuck of it, but DMC2 never was a DMC title to begin with. You originally played as Lucia (that's the name of female protagonist, right?) and it was her game only. Dante was added later down the road when they realized that the game is shit and won't sell on it's own.

Again, I can't find this info but I remember it vaguely from somewhere.

Oh and final boss was a tall building. Is it still in the game? I haven't played DMC2 so I don't know.

ezekial45

Banned
This wasn't a total loss. It included a few gameplay innovations that served the series for the better (weapon swap, control scheme, mission select). Also, the team behind this game would go on to make DMC3.

Just be happy to know that you've cleared through the lowest point in the series already.

Isaccard

I heard about this and I can't find the info for the fuck of it, but DMC2 never was a DMC title to begin with. You originally played as Lucia (that's the name of female protagonist, right?) and it was her game only. Dante was added later down the road when they realized that the game is shit and won't sell on it's own.

Again, I can't find this info but I remember it vaguely from somewhere.

Oh and final boss was a tall building. Is it still in the game? I haven't played DMC2 so I don't know.

What's funny is you believed it.

Nyphestus

Neo Member
Devil May Cry 2 Thread?

KmSKh.gif

Yep, played through this two days ago. It's....bad. Very bad. It barely works and it's not fun.

The camera, in particular, is strangely clingy to off-screen enemies, which makes moseying around later, more open levels a chore. Only the very final boss was any good. And somehow, Lucia's campaign is probably worse.

She doesn't control quite as clunkily, but her campaign retreads the same ground as Dante, leading me to ask why it had to be split into two discs. She also has probably the single worst underwater boss battle in the history of games, and there's nothing throughout the entire campaign to compensate.

Avoid. Avoid avoid avoid.

I still have an inexplicable affection for this game, it being my first DMC, went out and bought the first and was blown away. I somehow ended up liking every Devil May Cry game. Even
DmC

I can remember flipping out at the trailer for this when Dante dual wielded and shot behind his back

yeah... game was terrible

even Dante was bored, because he wasn't his usua,l happy, charming self

I can remember flipping out at the trailer for this when Dante dual wielded and shot behind his back

yeah... game was terrible

even Dante was bored, because he wasn't his usua,l happy, charming self

I never considered Dante happy or charming in DMC1. I actually miss the DMC1 tone, instead of the CURAZAY the series ended up being really known for...makes me sad a tiny bit really...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lucia's accessible from the start. When you select DMC2 from the HD Collection menu, it asks you which "disc" to put in. With Lucia, you get the honor of experiencing some atrociously designed underwater levels.

If you want to make it more tolerable just use the cheats to unlock Trish and other stuff (if you unlock the DMD costumes with cheats on both discs it will unlock all the difficulties too). Even the people porting the game didn't give a shit about DMC2 so cheats don't disable trophies/achievements.

Lucia's accessible from the start. When you select DMC2 from the HD Collection menu, it asks you which "disc" to put in. With Lucia, you get the honor of experiencing some atrociously designed underwater levels.

Also limiting my favorite enemies in the entire series to only an underwater stage. Blade/Assault's man, a masterclass of enemy design. Fun and challenging to fight...

The environments are less detailed than the first game,Boss fights are beyond easy,The second disc is a rehashed content.The story is the worst of the series And the new weapons are worthless.

Was there any good in that game at all aside from art direction ? The new DmC isn't the greatest game in the world but it's a masterpiece compared to this.

HYDE

Banned
And it's still a better game than Ninja Gaiden 3. How does that make you feel, Team Ninja Dog?

No it's not, DMC2 is trash. NG3 is more like Heavenly Sword, but a little better and has a jump button....which still isn't saying much.

Is it possible to buy DMC 1 and 3 on PSN without having to include DMC2? Or do they have to be bought as a stained set??

Risette

A Good Citizen
What's funny is you believed it.
Well he's a little off but it's not completely made up. It was an original action game that was turned into DMC2 after the success of the first because Capcom wanted a sequel fast. The development cycle was apparently not very good with the original director leaving at the end and Itsuno replacing him & attempting to clean up the mess -- but did not succeed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah... it does.

Go to "Before you start - Cheats:"
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/de...devil-may-cry-2-hd-trophy-guide-road-map.html

Trust me, they work. The guide said that it is iffy if they will unlock all the difficulties but it did for me (USA HD collection copy here).

Yeah, the cheat works in the U.S., but I believe it doesn't unlock infinite DT for Trish like it does in the European version and it disables achievements.

You have made a grave mistake and it's terribleness will be forever engraved on your PSN profile.

lol, I have the 360 version. If I wanted to "complete" the collection, I had to complete DMC2. And I did, as horrible as it was.

Lijik

Am I the only person on NeoGAF that enjoyed DMC2?

No, I played it at a friend's apartment once because I showed off some of the abysmal camera angles in Sonic Adventure 1 and she started raving about how terrible the ones in DMC2 were.

I distinctly remember walking away from it wanting to play B-tier action games like Chaos Legion and Oogie's Revenge instead which says a lot, but I didn't have a bad time with it. You made your way up a burning building and fought an asshole helicopter, idk i liked that.

It might just be that I've played some of the most atrocious games so Im able to stomach a sack of shit and I was playing it in a MST3k-esque setting with some mates which helped kept the mood fun.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This is the game that single-handedly broke my ability to ever get hyped for a release ever again. I still recall those twenty minutes of denial after finishing a few missions nearly a decade ago..."it must get better right??!"

How about those Diesel jeans though!

.la1n

Well he's a little off but it's not completely made up. It was an original action game that was turned into DMC2 after the success of the first because Capcom wanted a sequel fast. The development cycle was apparently not very good with the original director leaving at the end and Itsuno replacing him & attempting to clean up the mess -- but did not succeed.

Correct, which is why I will never blame Itsuno for the game, he did what he could with the mess he was handed.

OSHAN

This game was difficult for me because I loved DMC, and Dante looked so badass in DMC2, that I wanted to enjoy it. It is easily one of my greatest gaming disappointments.

Top Bottom