• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to hire this man to put a stop to the leaks.

You would basically need to be able to predict the future to stop all the leaks. I mean it's possible to cause a disruption with the five day early raws, it happened back when Mangastream and Mangareader were calling the cops down on each others' suppliers. But stopping all the stores that sell it one, two, or three days early? Impossible.

Are there any interviews with mangaka or publishers about this issue?
From what I gather they don't like to talk about it in public. Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil.

Because the raws weren't public, iirc. Groups get the raws from their source and translate them as fast as possible.

The five day early raws are the most closely guarded resources in scanlation. Any group lucky enough to have them is going to keep that shit under lock and key.

Maron

Cage of Eden

Didn't one of you guys say that it should be fairlt obvious who the kid in the mask was if you paid attention? Can someone fill me in cause even after the end of the series I'm still lost on that.

I'd love to see an article on that

Yeah, Ignis may not want to write a book about it anymore, but I wouldn't mind a longer article.

I know this sounds weird, but you could also pitch that topic to the Verge staff. While their news part is crap, the editorial side is pretty good and surprisingly broad. Lots of stuff on net culture, too.

Yeah, Ignis may not want to write a book about it anymore, but I wouldn't mind a longer article.

I know this sounds weird, but you could also pitch that topic to the Verge staff. While their news part is crap, the editorial side is pretty good and surprisingly broad. Lots of stuff on net culture, too.

When Red Hawk dissolves, which will eventually happen someday, and if I still remember enough of the details, I might do something like that.

Mr. Fix

I know that some stores were caught but someone always finds another.

Has there a noticeable decline in manga sales in Japan over the years? I figured this would be more of a problem overseas. It still seems healthy over there, but then again, I can barely judge from the sales numbers posted here.

Yonafunu

I know some mangakas want these people to die. Some of them literally said that. Can't remember their names though.

I do understand where they're coming from. Me personally, I just can't afford to buy volumes, when there's schoolbooks and fees to pay. When I have the money, I'll chime in.

I'd love to see an article on that

Agreed, it sounds really intriguing. Why is the business so shady?

Has there a noticeable decline in manga sales in Japan over the years? I figured this would be more of a problem overseas. It still seems healthy over there, but then again, I can barely judge from the sales numbers posted here.

I don't know how much of a problem it is in the domestic market but it's killing them overseas.

Cage of Eden

Didn't one of you guys say that it should be fairlt obvious who the kid in the mask was if you paid attention? Can someone fill me in cause even after the end of the series I'm still lost on that.

Hmm, I don't remember anyone saying this but I would definitely like to hear who it was as well.

I think you are referring to one of the better things to come out of the last filler arc, surprised you remembered. Still one of the best outfits Oda designs.

God dammit why did I click this. The crotch grab just makes it so damn worse.

These wolf guy recommendations are lol.

And people getting caught up in dat DTL vortex

Plus its really hard for Jump to win given the sub groups have those extra days no matter what series Jump tryies to get for overseas.

The only thing that could possibly help is to make their entire series completely digital so the focal point is only from themselves and that has its own issues.

Plus its really hard for Jump to win givin the leakers have those extra days no matter what series they try to get for america.

At some point I think they should consider a Steam for Manga to replace the physical publications. You'd remove the printing costs and regain control of the supply system. The domestic market is too tied up in the old ways for that to happen now, but I see that as the final solution to the problem.

And you could always just publish the tankōs for people who want to own their collection physically.

Cross Manage 17

Well that was surprisingly intense conclusion to the first match of the lacross game. The girls team is still pretty not good though with a win, I cant tell if they may even be able to win it all or if more surprises (being paired up with bad teams) would come their way.

I don't know how much of a problem it is in the domestic market but it's killing them overseas.

But the dying overseas market is partly their own fault for not reacting (at all). Stuff like SJ Online should've happened years ago, when eBooks blew up. Maybe that way they could have prevented having the popular sites at the top of the Google rankings, when you search for simple key words like "[insert manga name] online". I just tried it with one of the big three and Viz' page was only on the 8th spot.

At some point I think they should consider a Steam for Manga to replace the physical publications. You'd remove the printing costs and regain control of the supply system. The domestic market is too tied up in the old ways for that to happen now, but I see that as the final solution to the problem.

And you could always just publish the tankōs for people who want to own their collection physically.

Yea i edited my post with basically the same thought LOL.

But they would have to somehow get the mindshare like Valve has, where everyone is so dedicated even though the platform does the same shit everyone balks at (DRM stuff, walled garden, etc)

Jintor

Re: media, a steam platform for everything digital is my dream solution.

But the dying overseas market is partly their own fault for not reacting (at all).

That's the fault of the licensees like Viz, it's not really the fault of Shueisha or Shogakukan or the like. It's certainly not the fault of the authors.

I'll put it this way, despite my intimate appreciation of scanlation, I've seen enough of what really goes on behind the scenes that I would be happy if the whole thing were stamped out. Just nuke the fucking thing from orbit. I want the final solution. The "good guys" on the scene who are doing things for the right reasons are outnumbered and outgunned and a dying breed. I believe they will eventually cease to exist.

Yonafunu

Nobody is going to stop reading scanlations. It's waaaay too convenient and easy. Jump, and the rest of the industry will have to rely on the fact that most of the people reading scanlations are enthusiasts, and will want to have the physical copies at some point. I don't think digital copies are the answer, since those are basically paid scanlations. Physical volumes are the real deal, collectors items.

Yugioh Zexal 26

Zexal still feels somewhat refreshing for the yugioh franchise though sometimes its just not as exciting as Cardfight. At least, at this point in time of my watching, people arent physically harmed, however this chapter of Zexal, random bystander brother Haruto completely shocked and blasted by Galaxy Eyes Dragon, poor kid, though it was a powerfully looking scene. Wonder how they will get out.

Nobody is going to stop reading scanlations. It's waaaay too convenient and easy. Jump, and the rest of the industry will have to rely on the fact that most of the people reading scanlations are enthusiasts, and will want to have the physical copies at some point. I don't think digital copies are the answer, since those are basically paid scanlations. Physical volumes are the real deal, collectors items.

I'd somewhat agree. Give more reason to own the physical copies and hope to make their money on the back end.

I'd rather have a Netflix-like subscription than a huge number of physical copies.

I thought people like buying books and such digitally as it saves them space and they can carry everything whereever they go. Perhaps there are just less people interested even in getting physical stuff. Im committed to it, but I cant imagine there are that many people interested in buying 60+ volumes of many of their favorite series physically.

Korosenai

I thought people like buying books and such digitally as it saves them space and they can carry everything whereever they go. Perhaps there are just less people interested even in getting physical stuff. I cant imagine there are that many people interested in committing to buy 60+ volumes of many of their favorite series physically.
I would if it wasn't so expensive. I recently got some scholarship money back and spent about $90 on amazon buying some manga (about 12 volumes and that's all ill be buying for a while). For me, I like physically owning things. Yes digital is cheaper and saves more room, but I like having the physical item that I can hold or sell later on when I don't need/want it.

Also, I really liked One Punch Man today in Shonen Jump. Can't wait to see more.

honestly, the Jump think can work. A lot of people thought what you did when they first came up with iTunes.

Me for instance, I'd buy it if I was in the US. I'd rather get those mangas the right way when I can.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
tumblr_mgr123rjwX1qzd219o1_500.gif

tumblr_mgr123rjwX1qzd219o2_500.gif

tumblr_mgr123rjwX1qzd219o3_500.gif

What is this from!?!?

Akito

One-punch Man Extra
Saitama hasn't changed much after all these years, still the lazy hobo, except he's now a really strong one.
Also Boon will stop translating OPM once SJ Alpha's caught up with the Japanese releases D:

Lain

Looking at the manga in the Manga Taisho award posted earlier, I felt High Score Girl really could use a translation, at least based on the summary, which makes it sound interesting and fun.

Shogukegi no Soma 7
tumblr_mh05yttC8T1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Isshiki is a really good character, thought the naked apron was just an illussion when wonzo posted it earlier but I guess Isshiki really does cook that way, impressive. Otherwise fun and silly, wonder if he can actually impress him with his cooking or not.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cage of Eden

There are some who think it maybe Akira.

Hell, with all the time-travel shenanigans it just maybe true.

My KATAWA SHOUJO Adventures.

...Excuse me Hanako, would you please sit down from the throne and sit on the number 2 seat...? Thank you, sweetheart <3

Emi, could you shuffle to the number 3 seat please? Thank you.

BECAUSE GODDAMN I JUST FINISHED LILLY'S GOOD ENDING ROUTE LAST NIGHT AND SHE SHOULD RIGHTFULLY SIT AT THE NUMBER ONE THRONE!

Goddamn it gave me diabetes just by playing it. So incredibly sweet, almost unbearably so. Un-fucking-believable. Simply amazing. Simply marvelous.

Cliched as hell but since I am weak to that kind of stuff it got me... It got me bad. I was surprised that my smile at the end was that large.

Ohhh boy..... The next routes I am gonna play (Shizune/Rin) need to do something out of this world to eclipse the feel I got from Lilly's.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
There are some who think it maybe Akira.

Hell, with all the time-travel shenanigans it just maybe true.

My KATAWA SHOUJO Adventures.

...Excuse me Hanako, would you please sit down from the throne and sit on the number 2 seat...? Thank you, sweetheart <3

Emi, could you shuffle to the number 3 seat please? Thank you.

BECAUSE GODDAMN I JUST FINISHED LILLY'S GOOD ENDING ROUTE LAST NIGHT AND SHE SHOULD RIGHTFULLY SIT AT THE NUMBER ONE THRONE!

Goddamn it gave me diabetes just by playing it. So incredibly sweet, almost unbearably so. Un-fucking-believable. Simply amazing. Simply marvelous.

Cliched as hell but since I am weak to that kind of stuff it got me... It got me bad. I was surprised that my smile at the end was that large.

Ohhh boy..... The next routes I am gonna play (Shizune/Rin) need to do something out of this world to eclipse the feel I got from Lilly's.

Despite starting out with some of the best potential, Shizune sadly has the worst route by far.

Yonafunu

Karate Shoukoushi 186

Why do these chapters always end so abruptly? Dammit!
Mamiya used to annoy me, but I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Onepunch Man 20.5

Saitama is awesome.

Jintor

Do Shizune's and then do Rin's. If you end of Shizune's you'll feel kind of meh, but if you end on Rin's you'll feel very... uh...

very Rin.

oni_saru

Hi all. I guess my first post can be here since I've lurked here quite a bit ^^ I finally got a gaf account!

Anyways just wanted to say thanks for that time you all mentioned Onani Master Kurosawa AKA Fap Note. It was fantastic :'D I may have shed a tear or two!

I hope to participate in quite a few convos here. :D

Akito

Hi all. I guess my first post can be here since I've lurked here quite a bit ^^ I finally got a gaf account!

Anyways just wanted to say thanks for that time you all mentioned Onani Master Kurosawa AKA Fap Note. It was fantastic :'D I may have shed a tear or two!

Welcome, what are you reading?

Welcome and go read Molester Man if you haven't already (its better than the name implies and its from the same artist who did Kurosawa).

Arent we friends on twitter [tuna] ?! Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom