• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
PS4 missing a 2013 launch would seriously help MS and Nintendo, and Sony knows it too well. So I don't believe it.

i-Lo

Where does it say anything about Xbox 3's launch in EU btw?

psm2013dsj0w.jpg

Oh my LOL!

dose

Name at least one instance when Edge rumors about new consoles turned out to be completely wrong.
Here's three for you.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/report-2011-european-release-ngp/
2011 European Release For NGP

http://www.edge-online.com/news/report-wii-u-less-powerful-ps3-xbox-360/
Wii U “less powerful” than PS3, Xbox 360

http://www.edge-online.com/news/report-ea-origin-power-wii-u-online/
EA Origin to power Wii U online

Don't believe everything they report.

Hystzen

Im fine with Euro delay at least we know what issues or problems the console with have by then so not being beta testers like how US n EU where for Wii U

AngryMoth

Very happy with the sound of that controller. 2014 is disappointing for Europe but I probably wasnt going to buy one this year anyway. If it really does ship with 8Gb of gddr5 I might be waiting for a price cut :p

coldfoot

Banned
GDDR5 -$43.13 per 2GB [86.26 for 4GB]

The cost may be less this is from last years pricing of gddr5 chips.

This year's 4GB of GDDR5 will be similarly priced to last year's 2GB of GDDR5 since now you only need 8 chips for 4GB instead of 16.

kiyomi

Sounds great, particularly love the idea of being able to share gameplay easily like that.

As long as the price is somewhat reasonable and a consumer's transition from PS3/Vita to PS4 is handled well, consider it sold.

Zia

Takuya

Banned
To all those Europeans who are crying about 2014... You do realize that if PlayStation 4 launches in November/December than 2014 can mean January/February, thus could be one month wait at best?

i-Lo

I just realized something: By now Sony would know from third parties what amount memory in XB3 will be available for "game development" out of the 8GB. If MS is allowing for it to be around 5-6GB then all Sony would have to do is go with 6GB GDDR5, or more precisely 5.5GB worst case 5GB (if OS is 1GB). A difference of around 512MB (in DDR3's favour) will not be of any significance.

So in essence, Sony does NOT need to match 8GB

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

LegoArmo

If the European delay includes the UK, I won't be buying it. I'll buy whatever is available in time for Christmas 2013.

Raven77

Oh man..oh god oh man oh godddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so ready, sooo ready. My backlog of the current gen will be burned in a glorious pillar of flame at 1am the night of the PS4 launch. Never looking back, not now, not ever.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I just realized something: By now Sony would know from third parties what amount memory in XB3 will be available for "game development" out of the 8GB. If MS is allowing for it to be around 5-6GB then all Sony would have to do is go with 6GB GDDR5, or more precisely 5.5GB worst case 5GB (if OS is 1GB). A difference of around 512MB (in DDR3's favour) will not be of any significance.

How much would adding 2GB of GDDR5 up the board complexity/power consumption?

Mxrz

No way in hell we're getting 8GB of GDDR5. That means $599.
Also, remember folks that I was the first with the touchpad in controller rumor.

No, it doesn't. Pulling numbers out the ass means diddly. We don't even know what's going on with the controller and the new eye yet. If anything, that would drive the costs up.

A missed date, one that isn't wrong, and the last was actively discussed at one point, I believe.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
To all those Europeans who are crying about 2014... You do realize that if PlayStation 4 launches in November/December than 2014 can mean January/February, thus could be one month wait at best?

Reality has shown your at best is not necessarily the most likely scenario multiple multiple times.

KageMaru

Awesome news, it's time to start getting hyped for next gen.

I love the idea behind the share feature, though I don't see how there wouldn't be a performance cost. I guess they mean outside of whatever is reserved for the OS, which should account for said cost.

They really need to get it out this year in the UK if any of the European countries. A delay in the UK isn't going to buy them any momentum from last generation.

i-Lo

How much would adding 2GB of GDDR5 up the board complexity/power consumption?

I have no idea about complexity (especially if they use stacking) but pertaining to power consumption the total system TDP should still be either around or less that what it was for launch PS3 (210W peak).

Even additional 1GB GDDR5 would bring in a marked difference.

M.D

Pretty crazy how a few weeks ago we had almost no idea about the PS4, and all the rumors were talking about the next Xbox. Some people thought it wouldn't launch until 2014, and now we know the when they'll reveal it and (supposedly) a good idea about the specs.

It honestly feels like it was planned lol

Doesn't matter, there's no hype train to get on. Christmas will be ruined! etc.

exactly what I was thinking too. They might try to match the amount of ram available for games, so maybe 5-6 GB of gddr5. I believe densities for gddr5 ram chips are going up later this year, so it's possible.

I hope they do. Sony has pretty much sold me oj or is, but im very interested in the gpu in the Durango now

Top Bottom