• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

i-Lo

My favourite paragraph. Indicating that lessons learned with Vita was not an isolated incident:

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

So MS are going to be launching worldwide and magically beating supply constraint issues that have happened to like every console ever? Props to them if they do it.

if they ignore Japan, which is something I hope they do, they only really have to focus on the US and the EU. there might some supply issues, but essentially the supply won't be as constrained as it was at the start of this gen.

If we learn, without a doubt, that PS4 is more powerful that MS then I'll be going with Sony day one, without a doubt. I prefer their exclusives over MS already. The only thing that could change that is a ridiculous price, in comparison to MS.

On paper the N64 was more powerful than the PS1, the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2, and the PS3 is more powerful than the 360.

It is real world performance that matters.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

That would be pretty awesome.

Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

8 GB GDDR5? Yes. Yes. Yes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That share feature sounds pretty awesome.

And lol at them doing the same worthless "on paper" comparison of power that so many people are doing on GAF and then sensationalizing the title.

laika09

I think the current DualShock design is way too small for a centered front touchpad to be usable. We'll see though.

gaming_noob

Oh shit, actually, some devs might use the share button as an in game reward, which would be a bad thing...

"To proceed, go collect 12 jewels for the gatekeeper OR use the share button"

It may be used like in any other F2P games... "Share this video with your entire list of friends for 1 bonus XP!".... ugh....Farmville...

The heat is on !

But why are they saying PS4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox ? MS can change their specs anytime can it ?

If Sony reveal the next PlayStation Feb 20, you can bet MS will adjust to make an even bigger splash with their next console. It's gonna be a real war !

I hope Sony will play their cards right, MS ain't no joke.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
When they talk about "matching" the 8 gigs of the 360 do they mean 8 gigs of GDDR5? Surely not and they mean in performance right?

I seriously doubt they are changing the RAM. 4GB of GDDR5 already matches 8GB of DDR3.

DDR4 stacked would have higher initial costs, but the price would go down much faster. A lot of places seem to be stopping GDDR5 production because it's costly and a niche product.

It may be used like in any other F2P games... "Share this video with your entire list of friends for 1 bonus XP!".... ugh....Farmville...

Ooh god no hope that share button means save movie to hdd or cloud where i can download it. Not share on facebook or twitter shit.

Dawg

I understand the delay, ONLY if Microsoft will release their console in Europe in 2014 as well.

You don't fix the PS3 launch problem by only releasing it earlier in the US.

mclem

"A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet."

Sounds good, but I'm very sceptical about whether that's the whole truth. 15 minutes of (presumably 1080) video is a pretty huge wodge of data. No processing penalty suggests it's not being compressed at the fly, so you're looking at a couple of gigabytes of RAM just for that? If it *can* be compressed on the fly you're looking at something closer to 800MB, I think, which is still large - but then there's a processing hit. Unless the processing is handled in independent hardware, I guess - are there devices that can encode H264 (for instance) in realtime?

Either way it does strike me that earmarking that much RAM for (presumably) this one feature of the OS alone is a big hit to the amount that devs can use.

The heat is on !

But why are they saying PS4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox ? MS can change their specs anytime can it ?

If Sony reveal the next PlayStation Feb 20, you can bet MS will adjust to make an even bigger splash with their next console. It's gonna be a real war !

I hope Sony will play their cards right, MS ain't no joke.

there's a point in time where these consoles will be pretty much locked down in terms of specs, and i don't know if we're not already past that point.

i-Lo

8 GB GDDR5? Yes. Yes. Yes.

It it be 8GB, then I have serious doubts about it being "GDDR5". As it becomes obsolete, its price will also increase. Perhaps it will not affect Sony because of contract with Hynix or whoever is the provider but DDR4 stacked is more likely (in that case). Problem is, I am not sure how ready DDR4 is for production and integration on a scale like this.

If it is GDDR5, I expect 6GB MAX

When they talk about "matching" the 8 gigs of the 360 do they mean 8 gigs of GDDR5? Surely not and they mean in performance right?

it makes no sense, 4gb of gddr5 should more than easily match up to 8gb of ddr3. so either sony has gone with 4gb of ddr3 (which is unlikely) or the article is mistaken.

the alternative is that microsoft actually have 8gb of gddr5 in their machine, but there's nothing to support this.

ymmv

Banned
I'd be really pissed off if Europe got the PS4 in 2014 instead of late 2013. Nintendo and MS are able to do worldwide launches for every single product, so why can't Sony?

pelican

Actually that is what it clearly states in the article. The myriad rules and regulations and (personally speaking) language concerns are what have caused the delay for EU (supposedly).

Didn't delay Nintendo this year with the Wii U. Europe launched before Japan.

I don't want to get political but as a Brit I have had enough of European Bureaucratic nonsense effecting many avenues of my life. While a great deal of thought prior to voting is required (if the referendum even happens) the idea of leaving Europe is becoming an attractive proposition.

/rant over:)

mclem

This sounds like the same mistake Sony made with the PS3, make a quick reaction to Nintendo and not figure out what Nintendo is trying to do. This sounds awful.

Wait, a touchpad and not a touch*screen*? That seems... tricky to work with, given that (I assume) Select, Start and PS will still be handled by regions on it.

Kinyou

Actually that is what it clearly states in the article. The myriad rules and regulations and (personally speaking) language concerns are what have caused the delay for EU (supposedly).
Didn't stop MS during the 360 launch.

I think taking multiple months isn't really acceptable anymore in this day and age.

Kysen

I knew it, EU getting screwed. Import confirmed for me. Hopefully the US price is expensive so there'll be consoles left over for me to get my hands on.

DBT85

Sounds good, but I'm very sceptical about whether that's the whole truth. 15 minutes of (presumably 1080) video is a pretty huge wodge of data. No processing penalty suggests it's not being compressed at the fly, so you're looking at a couple of gigabytes of RAM just for that? If it *can* be compressed on the fly you're looking at something closer to 800MB, I think, which is still large - but then there's a processing hit. Unless the processing is handled in independent hardware, I guess - are there devices that can encode H264 (for instance) in realtime?

Either way it does strike me that earmarking that much RAM for (presumably) this one feature of the OS alone is a big hit to the amount that devs can use.

Why would that video need to be kept in RAM?

i-Lo

Didn't delay Nintendo this year with the Wii U. Europe launched before Japan.

I don't want to get political but as a Brit I have had enough of European Bureaucratic nonsense effecting many avenues of my life. While a great deal of thought prior to voting is required (if the referendum even happens) the idea of leaving Europe is becoming an attractive proposition.

/rant over:)

Heh, I do hope that Sony brings it by Feb 2014. A delay of a 2-3 months is probable.

Didn't stop MS during the 360 launch.

I think taking multiple months isn't really acceptable anymore in this day and age.

Yes. A delay of around 2 weeks was the case then.

From a business perspective, if Sony cannot launch worldwide simultaneously, it makes sense for Europe to be last. Both Japan and the US are unstable markets so they have to conquer those first. They'll dominate in the rest of the world easily.

Hystzen

Meh I dont see it as Europe being screwed gives me time to get money sorted to buy it and plan ahead what games I want. I rather it drop in jan then shoved into xmas rush where it will sell out and wont get restocked til Jan 2014

VariantX

All I ask is that it be priced between $399-$499... and I will be there on day one. Looking forward to owning a Sony system again.

Goldrusher

psm2013dsj0w.jpg

If Sony bundles the PS4 with GT6 for Europe's delayed release they will surely make up any ground they lost to the next xbox (launching earlier in EU).

Manu

Early 2014 for Europe. Fuck you Sony. Seriosuly, FUCK YOU! Completely unacceptable. I refused to be treated like a 3rd class citizen.

Try living in Latin America and paying U$S 700+ for the console, and about 100 for a new game.

Also, having no PS Store and therefore losing the benefits of things like Residentevil.net since I can't link my local account. I can't even use an avatar for my account which isn't one of the crappy defaults.

Suddenly having to wait a few months for the new console doesn't sound so bad, doesn't it.

Top Bottom