• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

That's the most believable part of the whole rumour :p

Seriously, people expected a euro release this year?

Vita launched in Europe same time as the US, and MS will surely be aiming to launch in Europe close to their US release like they did with the 360. It would be giving MS a leg up in Europe launching in 2014. If they need to make a region wait, they should leave the Japan launch until 2014.

So at this rate GAF, with the leaked specs, how will games on the Orbis run? Will we be getting 1080p 60 frames or 1080p 30 frames?

What about the Durango?

Senoculum

This is also probably my most anticipated launch line up in gaming history. Sony really got some good studios, and have always worked towards quality 1st party titles. The transition from Ps2 and 3 was a bit awkward, only a handful of titles came out; Resistance being their "killer app."

A new Uncharted will move consoles.

Not having the PS4 as an available Xmas present is huge, no question. Little Johnny isn't going to wait until March for Santa.

Indeed. this is what people are ignoring. if only microsoft launch and with a massive ad campaign...

The 360 had a 15 month head start on the PS3 in Europe and while it did manage to catch the UK, pretty much every other country prefers the PS3. People are really exaggerating the impact of launching a couple months later.

this is somewhat like the argument from last gen where people claimed that sony could release later and not have to worry about microsoft. you can't discount them. if they turn around their performance in the eu, which is undoubtedly where some of the their focus will be and they have an entire christmas to themselves, it's become that little harder for sony to make an impact.

there's no exaggeration, it's just looking at what happened at the start of this gen.

I think it depends on how microsoft launches, if microsoft delays in Europe as well then...

I don't think they will. microsoft have pulled off a worldwide launch with the 360, that's probably their plan with the durango. to get it out in all regions before the christmas period.

You should disassemble the EU if you want things quicker. Too many countries, too many specific laws/regulations for these countries.

Come on, if even Nintendo can launch the Wii U in all three major territories (and Australia ;)) in the span of a few weeks, then Sony should be able to manage it!

The share feature is really cool. Potentially, a lot of interesting things will be capture with every single moment being recorded. May also be an effective way for end users to easily report potential bugs to developers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vita launched in Europe same time as the US, and MS will surely be aiming to launch in Europe close to their US release like they did with the 360. It would be giving MS a leg up in Europe launching in 2014. If anything, they should leave Japan until 2014.

Vita launched in the US and Europe the spring following the original launch in Japan...not quite the same as a 3-territory global launch, which Sony has never done.

Something tells me they're working over time as it is to get it out in the US this year.

You should disassemble the EU if you want things quicker. Too many countries, too many specific laws/regulations for these countries.

You're right.. we should have totally let the nazi's win the war. Fuck you america.. because of you liberating france, I have to wait for my console release... and there's jews all over the place.

This is also probably my most anticipated launch line up in gaming history. Sony really got some good studios, and have always worked towards quality 1st party titles. The transition from Ps2 and 3 was a bit awkward, only a handful of titles came out; Resistance being their "killer app."

A new Uncharted will move consoles.
I doubt UC will be out at launch. Two ND games in one year doesn't seem likely, especially when the latter is being made on a whole new platform. I expect to see their next game 12 months in

Withnail

You mean the opposite of disassemble right? EU integration and the common market and so on make it easier. There are also plans to make the EU one region for licensing content which would be great for streaming and download services.

Anyway, OT.

Cartman86

Banned
Share thing has always seemed interesting but its really going to depend on Sony getting the base implementation correct. Always recording like a TiVo is very smart. Interface and making it easy for people to edit and upload quickly to the service they use I uh important too.

I still don't understand the point of the touch pad thing on the front. It doesn't appear to be a screen so is it just for games? Touch pad for cursors in a web browser? Seems useless for OS navigation. Also it doesn't replace the start, select, and PS buttons does it? Could be my lack of imagination.

I speculate 2013 release in Japan & US with a blockbuster title like Uncharted 4 (or sim) at launch. Three months delay until the system releases in Europe at which point it launches alongside the release of GT6.

RyoonZ

Banned
Screenshot alone is a great feature and should be standard but sharing video??? WOW.
If they can add Activity Log too...

No. This was the 2GB to 4GB change.
An increase to 8 sounds like the change will be negligible.

No idea why devs would need this unless its their own laziness in which case they should tell MS to bring 4GB DDR5 and fuck kinect.

This. It´s not 8 GB. Sony raised it from 2 to 4 GB. That´s what they mean. 8GB GDDR5 is extremely expensive.

Jackano

A few months later in Europe, as usual, as well as limited supplies in Japan and awfull pricing.

The hardware is built with only raw power and graphics in mind, to beat Microsoft in that front alone, at all cost.
Now it is also built as a PC, making dedicated home consoles no different than PCs.

To me, it means not a single lesson learned, same mistakes all over again, and new ones added to the party. Good luck in this industry, enjoy your EA-Activison-UBI games, because no one else will get throught this hell again.

BadWolf

I doubt UC will be out at launch. Two ND games in one year doesn't seem likely, especially when the latter is being made on a whole new platform. I expect to see their next game 12 months in

Yeah, Sony will space it out this time.

They won't blow their entire load early like they did with the Vita.

Indeed. this is what people are ignoring. if only microsoft launch and with a massive ad campaign...

this is somewhat like the argument from last gen where people claimed that sony could release later and not have to worry about microsoft. you can't discount them. if they turn around their performance in the eu, which is undoubtedly where some of the their focus will be and they have an entire christmas to themselves, it's become that little harder for sony to make an impact.

there's no exaggeration, it's just looking at what happened at the start of this gen.

I don't think they will. microsoft have pulled off a worldwide launch with the 360, that's probably their plan with the durango. to get it out in all regions before the christmas period.
Having a Christmas means nothing when you're supply constrained

Europe May Cry.

As expected though. Although the Vita simul-launch had me hoping.

I guess I'll be playing Durango for a while, at least until Sony calls me back in what I think will be Feb/March.

I think this reveal style is great. Sony giving everything attention before E3, taking the time to show the system and focus on games come E3. Why bother competing with other manufacturers for hardware attention when you can do it yourself in the months before?

and I don't care what you have to say. Happy?

if you don't like to use logic, fine with me. if you want to buy a xbox, fine with me. it's just ridiculous trying to say that a company is doomed in an entire region because YOU don't want to wait. is this the same reason why ps3 launched at an higher price and later in the EU, and why it's ahead?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely getting excited for the PS4. Sony sounds like it is firing on all cylinders for this launch. E3 this year is going to be so good.

I have a feeling that MS are going to heavily undercut Sony on price. But if third party titles are going to have complete parity on the Sony platform (unlike this gen), I'll avoid the next gen XBOX. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my RROD's.

Edit: It'd be amazing if they launched the console in a similarly styled box to the PS2's.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes, I believe this could be the case of Sony pushes it to 5-6GB GDDR5 which would still be plenty.

Would that not mean going to a 384 bit bus? That is not a change that could be made at the last minute. The whole memory controller would have to be over hauled. That and it would make the motherboard a lot more complex. We all should be happy with 4 gigs of GDDR5.

if you don't like to use logic, fine with me. if you want to buy a xbox, fine with me. it's just ridiculous trying to say that a company is doomed in an entire region because YOU don't want to wait.

Exactly. Have you seen the Europe market share figures last week. Sony is still pretty ballin' in Europe even with the advantage Microsoft had.

It would've been nice to not get the shaft for once*. You Americans don't know how annoying that is, especially since we're so connected these days.

*I'm well aware certain regions get treated even worse.

We're like Rihanna. :(

Well you got Wii games we didn't so there's that right?

DBT85

Forget about 8GB GDDR5. Not going to happen.

Dedicated share button sounds good. Impossible to take a live screenshot without it, unless people are thinking of voice control or something (no thanks).

I'm guessing the sharing will tie in to something like a PS3 equivalent of Live Area (or whatever the Vita thing is called).

The Vita manages to take screenshots just fine without a share button.

Elios83

European launch in February/March 2014 (within their fiscal year) was bound to happen.
Their priority is to get the US launch right this year.
As for the rest I think they're wrong. Controller will be much more than a microscopic (and thus almost unusable) touch pad as they're suggesting.
Also 8GB GDDR5 is totally unlikely.

Duffyside

Banned
The article claims the PS4 will be more powerful than the 720. Are they saying that with the specs we "know of" now, or with their presumption that Sony will match MS's 8GB of RAM?

And, when they say that they will try to match the RAM, will they get rid of their better type of RAM to do so?

Edit: Ah, I see everyone's already talking about this.

i-Lo

Would that not mean going to a 384 bit bus? That is not a change that could be made at the last minute. The whole memory controller would have to be over hauled. That and it would make the motherboard a lot more complex. We all should be happy with 4 gigs of GDDR5.

Well if they are going with DDR3 then I assume stacking would be in the order to attain higher capacity without increasing clustering on the motherboard's surface. IIRC even GDDR5 is stackable albeit with higher temperatures being a concern.

Top Bottom