• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Europe loves you Sony ... why don't you love us? :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the US/Japan launch window should be in the thread title too. Well, Japan in 2013 was obviously predictable, but US in 2013 is nice to hear.

Why would they screw over Europe? Aren't they the most loyal Sony customers? D:

Oh well, I can't wait to see what they show... and I live in the U.S.
Japan is homeland, US is the must-win territory - winning America goes a looooong way to winning the overall mindshare. Sony beat MS in Europe this gen but MS has a large mindshare advantage due to taking out the US.

The share feature is genius when you consider how long typical FIFA, CoD, Street Fighter etc matches take. Fits in perfectly.

The RAM bit is probably just poorly worded.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can imagine the share button is there to really integrate Gaikai functionality into an overall social media sphere that works quick and is a priority function. Throwing the last fifteen minutes of gameplay up on the feed will be quick and easy, or taking a picture, a high score, or a message

Per my earlier post I can see this eventually morphing into live broadcast and also gaikai multiplayer session sharing. At least if they're smart :p

davious88

Banned
Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB

Sweet cheese's...

Serenity

Sucks for europe but is it really worth it to say you launched world wide if there are not enough units to buy in every territory. I'm sure it will launch by Februrary in Europe.

The Share Button sounds awesome. It's something I wanted from Wii U. I still think the idea of streaming live gameplay to an audience would be great, but I'm not sure how it would work.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn you Sony, I don't want to sit here waiting for 2014 to happen while US GAF is already having an awesome time with their shiny new PS4s. :( At least don't make the delay as long as it was for the PS3, that would really suck. We're your strongest market, FFS!

ironcreed

Banned
I'll be fine with 4GB. Still sounding damn impressive for a console.

tumblr_m9obahTLDP1ra3qoqo1_500.gif

It's coming.

USC-fan

Banned
You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. I highly, highly doubt it will have 8gb GDDR5.

Otherwise this:

Wouldn't make sense.

Yes it would. At 4GB you have already Max out gddr5 speed. You are just adding cache anything above that.

At this 60fps you can only use 3GB per frame.

IrishNinja

those specs are sexy, but the share button/touchpad thing really have my attention.

i wonder if we'll get price/date/BC etc info on the 20th, cause this is really starting to take a nice shape here

ps yeah if DDR5 id honestly be quite happy with 4GB and a reasonable price, rather than...you know

Axiom

I didn't expect regions outside of the US and Japan to get it before 2014, but I must say - now that it's all confirmed, I'd forgotten how damn exciting it is to have the console war back in swing.

It'll be nice to have them competing for our affections again, but it shall suck having to go back to having to make a choice as to what next gen platform I want. The benefit of the extended generation has been that most anyone hardcore who can, ended up owning all three systems eventually.

If Microsoft can manage the worldwide launch then this will hurt Sony though. However strong Sony might be in Europe, a new cycle is a chance to woo people away.

"Begun, this clone war has"

i-Lo

Sony knows its PS division's survival is on the line. Like Nintendo, a desperate Sony is the best Sony.

I wonder whatever happened to "Move engines"...

They better have a dual analog version of Move that must be supported in all games or otherwise I won't buy. I'm not going to buy a new console to play games the same way I did last generation, especially with such an outdated controller design.

d00d3n

Implying that they will provide 8 gb GDDR5 is crazy. Maybe an attempt to bait Microsoft to overspend on ram for 720?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
One month is too long in my case. It's about principles. I will get an xbox if this happens. For first time after supporting Sony for 3 gens. Fuck them if this is true.

I haven't seen this much butt hurt since the Butt Fuck Carnival of 77.

you won't get 8GB of GDDR5, ever! Even 6GB would be sick.

I just want to add if this is true Sony has killed themselves again. They will lose Europe as well. I am not waiting, and I know many other that won't wait either this time.

One month is too long in my case. It's about principles. I will get an xbox if this happens. For first time after supporting Sony for 3 gens. Fuck them if this is true.

and because of your principles, sony is doomed. sounds logical to me.

chogidogs

So most of the leaks have been pretty consistent so far. I want to be excited but I don't want to be disappointed. Is it safe to be excited that most of these are actually gonna happen?

regarding the eu / uk waiting until 2014. if it turns out to be true, I feel we won't be waiting more than a month or two. sony really can't afford to give microsoft any kind of head-start in europe or the uk, lest they end up losing more marketshare in the uk and potentially losing some in europe too.

They are goint to lose christmas?.

Takuya

Banned
Europe 2014? Why Sony? Massively disappointed if true.

New Xbox must launch worldwide, MS come one! I want a freaking next-gen console this year!

You should disassemble the EU if you want things quicker. Too many countries, too many specific laws/regulations for these countries.

FrankT

Will definitely eat my hat if they pull 8gigs of GDDR5.

Slightly more powerful sounds much like this gen. We shall see soon enough.

Into

I can see a month or 2 delay for Europe, they cannot push back Japan, homeland and everything. And they lost the most market share in the U.S. Thus they are "attacking" their weakest spot and MS stronghold from the get go.

And i say that as someone from Europe who will have to wait if any of this is true.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Sony probably assured devs orbis memory setup will match next xbox 8gb GDDR3 setup not that there will be 8gb GDDR5 in orbis

1-D_FTW

Share feature sounds like a must have feature set going forward. Really cool that it doesn't affect performance.

I wonder if the touchpad will an option for FPS games. I thought it worked like crap on the Nintendo DS, but that was different than a touchpad. I could definitely see it as an appealing option for myself.

Top Bottom