• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

WHAT WHAT.

8GB @ GDDR5?!

Petrichor

Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

This invalidates the entire piece imo - 8GB of DDR5 this late in the development process? Yeah, whatever.

Takuya

Banned
We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

8GB GDDR5?? o_O

lefantome

Except for the 2014 EU launch, this is freaking amazing!

and 8gb GDDR5 are plausible! omg

I hope the touchpad will somehow be useful as a keyboard!
Nothing about a microphone included in the pad?

Krowley

I have an old PS controller lying around, and I just picked it up and tried to imagine a touchpad where the start and select buttons are. With the size, it's actually a really comfortable location, and I think it might be usable for controlling mouselook in an FPS game, assuming it is responsive enough.

mats effect

Neo Member
I sort of feel like they really can't afford to screw Europe again, by more than a week or two anyway. It could really hurt them if the next Xbox ends up being out this Christmas in Europe.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.
They're backing the Kotaku rumor. Guess there must be some truth to the "Share" button.

Hmmmm I don't want to be spoiled before the conference, seems like the ship is leaking :(

8GB upgrade would be insane

Sucks ass about Euro delay though

Edit: what does it mean by touchpad for the start and select buttons? Why not just have buttons? If its a touchscreen that's different

Hanmik

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/1/3940622/ps4-next-xbox-launch-date

The next PlayStation will be unveiled later this month, shown at this year's E3 and then launched this holiday where it will compete with the next Xbox, sources familiar with the console tell Polygon.

The information was provided to Polygon prior to last night's news of a Feb. 20 PlayStation Meeting in New York to "see the future." The Wall Street Journal is also reporting that sources have told them the console will come out this holiday, competing with the next Xbox.

Sources familiar with the Microsoft console tell Polygon that Microsoft, while already aware of Sony's launch timing, plans to hold its own announcement this spring, months after Sony's unveiling. A variety of form-factors for Microsoft's new console, we're told, are already being focus tested.

Both next generation consoles will focus on expanding their reach beyond core gaming to include more entertainment and social aspects, according to our sources. That could include, we're told, a subsidized version of the Xbox that serves as both a gaming platform and a cable box, though agreements with cable companies have yet to be finalized. Last year, The Verge reported that Microsoft was also working on a subsidized low-cost alternative to its next-gen console.

Microsoft has already experimented with subsidized Xbox 360s, offering discounted consoles to those willing to pay for a two-year Xbox Live membership.

We have reached out to both Microsoft and Sony for comment and will update this story when they respond.

(probably old by now)

The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.
Bought.

AF_Writer

Banned
A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

This seems like the next step forward from OnLive's Brag Clip feature. It was actually really popular among the OnLive community and allowed users to upload 15 second Brag Clips to Facebook.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Man, 2014 for Europe. Highly disappointing. Why do Europe and PAL regions always get screwed? This is unfair.

Tenrius

A touchpad? Hope it won't result in the majority of its launch line-up having atrocious gimmicks. And what will replace Start/Select and the PS button, gestures?

IHaveIce

Banned
2014? Yeah no thanks Sony, then you have to wait if MS releases before you in Europe.

If you consider Europe inferior and don't release here on the same date I give a shit about buying this at launch.

Well if I get somehow the opportunity to get a japanese or US launch box ( if regionfree) then maybe

Majmun

Holy crap. What a beast.

Couple this with Sony's 1st/2nd party studio's and I'm sure we'll be seeing some amazing efforts.

Into

Wait what, 8GB GDDR5 RAM? No way

I sort of feel like they really can't afford to screw Europe again, by more than a week or two anyway. It could really hurt them if the next Xbox ends up being out this Christmas in Europe.

Because that definitely helped the 360.

Seriously, I understand that people are upset about the system launching later in Europe, but calm down. Sony isn't doing it just because they hate Europe.

holy shit fire. this is exactly what I was hoping for. FUCKING YES!!!!

this is honestly the best bit of news to come out so far, I sincerely hope durango allows the same otherwise I can foresee it languishing and gathering dust under the telly.

So.. PS4 is going to have 8GB DDR5?
"Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB."

Midou

Everything is sounding great so far, if true of course. I guess Feb 20th may be when we find out for sure. The recording stuff and more common architecture are the highlights for me from all this. I wonder if the similar power and easier to work with both architectures will make 'superior multiplats' a thing of the past, at least beyond nitpicking details. Hopefully less like Bayonetta and Bethesda games at least.

A $400 price-tag and some decent launch titles and announced future titles would make me jump in day one if all this other stuff is true.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Assuming 8GB of that XtreemRam is true, what would the cost increase be in the final price vs. 4GB?

Majmun

I don't mind the late EU release. You NA and JP guys can beta test for us!!!

still crying ;_;

Pachimari

I'm okay with an early 2014 release for Europe, as it'll give me more time to save up.

I also hope PS Move comes with PS4 by default and that it has Home from day 1. Home is probably what'll ultimately sell me on it.

Oh yeah, give me share!

why not. better than trying go through menus to share stuff.

Guide button > Share

How difficult is that?

Who really is going to be playing COD MP and decide every 15 minutes to stop and share a clip? That will get old really fast, especially if my screen is constantly spammed with "User ### has shared a clip" every few minutes.

miksar

The console sounds like a monster, the share feature is great, some sort of a touch input on the controller is expected, but not releasing it during holidays in Europe will be a massive blow for the initial sales. I doubt it will set the world on fire in Xbox and Nintendo lands, though it may attract some of the customers who are tired of current-gen graphics, but if Microsoft launches Durango in November and Nintendo comes up with its big hits in Japan, will Sony be able to compete in those markets?

regarding the eu / uk waiting until 2014. if it turns out to be true, I feel we won't be waiting more than a month or two. sony really can't afford to give microsoft any kind of head-start in europe or the uk, lest they end up losing more marketshare in the uk and potentially losing some in europe too.

Top Bottom