• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-Launch Hype Comparison: Wii -VS- Gamecube

From my perspective (not especially a Nintendo fan)-- the Cube hype was higher.

There was an overall feeling that Nintendo would take a commanding part of the market-- knocking out Sega (which was alread fading) and pre-empting the Xbox altogether. I (and many) thought the Xbox would be a false start, and that would leave Sony and Nintendo in the market. ANd this time, Nintendo would shed it's kiddie image and have far better third party support. Resident Evil was hyped beyond belief.

Of course, all that was wrong. Hype means nothing. The quieter mood pre-Wii launch actually works in Wii's favor, I think-- like the DS, it will appeal (or not) on its own merits, rather than on image. That worked very well for DS.

Lapsed

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
That said, how would you compare the pre-launch hype of Gamecube (world-wide) to the Wii?

Since I was still "lapsed", I despised the Gamecube (as well as the PS2). Nothing about it intrigued me or my friends (also lapsed gamers). The generation before, some bought the PS1 and got burned on that. The most interesting console, to us, was the Xbox. We thought the idea of the hard drive and all would make console gaming exciting again! Nope. Those I knew who picked up Xboxes just ended up modding it so they can play 8 bit and 16 bit games. :lol

One thing to remember also was that the Gamecube (and Xbox) launch (in America) came a couple months after 9/11. Gaming was not in my thoughts. Instead, it was, "Will my friends in the military be sent to die?" The economy, then, was much more sluggish (and 9/11 just made the situation worse).

How much better (or worse) is Nintendo's position now VS that era?

Most gamers are piss poor business analysts. Those who are pointing out that Nintendo fans saying similar things of GC are trying to find silly correlations to rest their fanboy emotions. They don't realize that Nintendo of today is very different from the Nintendo of GC. Even the business strategies are radically different. There is a reason why Nintendo's stock is flying and why business mags are suddenly becoming extremely interested in the Wii.

Nintendo was a very confused company at the Gamecube launch. It knew costs were beginning to go out of control since the N64 era but they were still trying to compete technologically with the others systems (such as the PS2).

During the Gamecube era, Nintendo took a nap, restructured their company, and went through a period of analysis (especially of the PS2's success). Finally, Nintendo realized that the game library matters more than the hardware. This is why the Wii is launching with 30 titles instead of, like, six.

Nintendo defines "untraditional gamers" in two ways (for evidence, look at Iwata's speech at E3 2006 Conference): first, the people who have never played video games before (non-gamer) and, second, the people who once played games but got tired of it (lapsed gamers). The people who jump on to the Wii first, just as what occurred with the DS, will be lapsed gamers. They are used to 'gaming' and can easily jump back in.

Lapsed gamers are not a uniform group. Some (which I fit in) are of the picky variety and don't have the time or patience to meander through large 3d arenas. But many lapsed gamers are the girl gamers who got left behind, not only due to the funky controllers, but by the machoism of game companies from the endless parade of 'realistic' sports games, to 'realistic' racing games, to GTA, to Halo, to God of War.

I've notice most people on GAF tend to think of lapsed gamers as some type of 'weak sauce' gamer who gets completely 'confused' at the controller. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If you read a book, and before getting to the 'action', the author spends chapters about the backstory, of the characters, of the environment, and all that, what happens? While some plow ahead with the story and praise how 'rich' it is, many people read it and say, "I am bored! I do not have the time or patience to go through this crap to get to the story. This author does not know how to tell a story." This is exactly how gamers became lapsed in the first place. In order to get to the game and to the 'good parts', MUCH more time was required to learn buttons, to go through stupid cinema movies so the game developer can pretend he is a movie director, and wade through ridiculous dialog. Most lapsed gamers were raised on arcade games. They aren't 'weak-sauce', they are bored. They don't find the controller 'complex', they find it stupid and obtuse. Lapsed gamers get bored easily so they are probably the pickiest gamer of all- far more than the hardcore player (who tends to be more open minded).

Lapsed gamers have been stuck on computers for some time now (just as casual gamers are with those web games). They have been waiting for a console like the Wii for some time now.

(I know GAF won't believe me so try this. Find a lapsed gamer who used to love gaming and describe the Wii to them including the Virtual Console. I guarantee you the person's eyes will begin to brighten.) Most of the 'untraditional' people who are getting a Wii at launch are those who haven't bought a game console in over a decade.

And finally, where do you see Wii a year from now, as opposed to Gamecube's 1st year.

Hardware production problems aren't as big as issue as software production problems. Gamecube and N64 had software production issues. The Wii will not have this issue. Even if there are hiccups in the software release rate, the Virtual Console smooths it out.

Wii will not only become market leader but has the potential to become a social phenomenon in some countries.

Xbox 360 will become the Gamecube of this generation who might have a couple of 'AAA' games (like Halo 3) but the game library will be unappealing to most people. Let us not forget that the first Xbox sold not much more than the Gamecube and Xbox 360 has not broken that sales pattern yet.

PS3 will sell rapidly at first to game enthusiasts but sales will stall (whereas Wii sales will increase as its software hits new demographics ala NES or DS). The big issue with PS3 is that Sony will be unable to bring down the price.

Out of the three console companies, Nintendo has it the easiest to lower the price (take out Wii Sports and poof, $200. Since Nintendo is making profit, if they decided to go for a loss they could easily mark their system down). Microsoft then comes next as the costs are rapidly decreasing and console is already a year old. Sony is stuck with that Blu-Ray licensing and other parts that won't easily come down in price.

PS3 will always remain hundreds of dollars more expensive than its competitors. Its library will carry the system but in the end, we are seeing another PSP type performance.

I think listing titles says enough

GOOD EXCLUSIVE GCN launch window games

Rogue Squadron
Luigi's Mansion
Waverace
Super Monkey Ball
SSBM

GOOD EXCLUSIVE GCN follow-up games (for one year)

Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil Zero
Starfox Adventures
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Sunshine

....(I think thats all)

GOOD EXCLUSIVE Wii launch window games

Rayman
Zelda
Excitetruck
Monkey Ball
Red Steel (still a bit up in the air)
Trauma Center

GOOD EXCLUSIVE Wii follow-up games (for one year)

Super Smash Bros.
Mario
Paper Mario World
Sonic
Resident Evil
Metroid Prime 3
Battalion Wars
Mario Soccer
Wario Ware

and slews and slews of whatifs like Forever Blue, Disaster, Wii Play, Mario Party 8, and more.

Wii rapes GCN. I don't think we'll have droughts on Wii, and hell, on Wii it is already clear there will be RACERS, FIGHTERS, and FPS in abundance. Wii launches with more FPS than GCN had its first year.

I think internet hype was greater for the Cube - the fact that it was technically superior to the PS2 and close to the Xbox, as well as the cheap price, caused a lot of gamers to believe that Nintendo were coming back from the dead (N64) and going to have a really successful generation. Of course, it didn't exactly turn out that way.

With Wii, there is less internet hype because most people who go to gaming forums focus more on graphics than anything else when the watch movies, look at screenshots and discuss the games. Wii doesn't have true next-gen graphics, so a lot of hardcore gamers are being turned off.

However, overall, Wii is receiving more hype - or at least, positive hype. It has a good launch that contains the game of the year, a solid 2007 lineup, and a totally new control scheme that, whilst not without its problems, is a fresh new take on gaming that has excited many hardcore gamers as well as people outside the gaming world.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Hardcores were def more excited about the cube, but I feel like more people know about the Wii than ppl did about the cube. Also, there has to be some amount of hype if South Park gets in on the hype train too.

ccbfan

I wasn't here during the GCN launch but I remember overall the GCN had much more hype.

Heck the amount of hype the GCN had is the reason I'm not buying into the Wii hype.

There was a lot of comments made back then that if we saw now, we would laugh at.

1.Did you know that many people was actually saying the Purple cube was a good design and that nobody wants those lare clunky xboxs and PS2s.

2.The Gamecube was suppose to rival the PS2 now since it when to optical disks

3.The Gamecube's third party was suppose to be on par with the snes.

4.Nintendo learned their mistake and will give the gamers what they want.

5.Online was a fad and the GCN-GBA Connectivity was gonna revolutionize gaming.

6. The X-box was suppose to die within a year and there was no way the GCN would lose to it.

Rocked

In the UK Wii is definitely getting more hype. The GameCube was kind of seen as a poor mans PS2 and was always missing from articles about PS2/Xbox while the Wii is something new and exciting.

My friend works in GAME at Oxford Street, London and he says they're constantly getting people asking about it after seeing the trailers which are shown in the shop on 8 TV screens... we laugh at the promos of people playing with the Wiimote at GAF, but they really seem to be doing the job.

Let's just say that I had the black Gamecube bundle preordered with 4 ****ing games (WR:BS, Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron and Madden, 3 of which I eventually traded in. Where the hell did my sophomore in college ass get that money?)

As of this moment I haven't even looked into a Wii preorder (though I'm a weak impulse buyer with more disposable income so I may get one if they really are easily available in stores.)

Ikael

5.Online was a fad and the GCN-GBA Connectivity was gonna revolutionize gaming.

While the GCN-GBA was a joke, what Nintendo said back in the date was pretty accurate: online was implemented too early. Nowadays we are ending this current gen and only a minuscule portion of gamers are playing online. It is not the "OMG 101% necessary" feature for the current gen than the hardcores overyped back then (pretty much as I expect HD to be).

Wii has more buzz with things like the mainstream press and more casual type of folk. I think Wii will be more like the N64 launch (only with more games) ... it seems more like a Christmas-craze type of product that will gain momenteum towards Christmas.

As for which one I'm more excited for personally ... it's a wash.

While the chipset under the hood had some serious power, I really disliked the GameCube design, especailly the purple console, and the controller with the button layout and crappy d-pad/Z-trigger were let downs.

The other thing was Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm were letdowns for me as launch titles, and I was never a big Smash Brothers fan. I wanted a big Nintendo game for launch. A Mario, Zelda, or Perfect Dark. Pikmin just didn't fit that bill either.

With the Wii, I'm liking Zelda a lot, even warming up to Wii Sports (boxing + bowling + golf FTW), like the controller overall, like the sleek look of the console. What I'm not so crazy about is the chipset/featureset though. I'm not asking for 360/PS3 caliber but y'know

1.2 GHz IBM Broadway
330 MHz ATi Hollywood
128MB main 1T-SRAM
24MB secondardy 1T-SRAM
5MB embedded 1T-SRAM

Dolby Digital/480p standard + 720p for VC + Wii Channels + certain titles.

Is that too much to ask for in this day and age? Yes, even at $250, that should be more than doable. Zelda should be 480p on the GC and 720p on the Wii ... I think a six year gap in technology can afford that.

Ikael said:
While the GCN-GBA was a joke, what Nintendo said back in the date was pretty accurate: online was implemented too early.

You could make the argument that starting "too early" is what helped Live become so good today.

I would have taken "early" online support for F-Zero GX, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Pikmin 2, and a number of other games quite happily.

adg1034

AniHawk said:
Yeah I could imagine gaf was more hyped for cube but outside of gaf no one gave a shit where as its sorta the other way round.

Waiiiit a minute... I see what you did there.

Cdammen

Lapsed said:
*awesome post about lapsed gamers*
That's me in a nutshell. I'd rather play arcade games, simple Wario Ware-esque mini mayhems or frenetic FPS than plow through games with long completion time. And yes, I've primarily used my computer and thrown in some NDS games for variation. I'm really looking forward to Wii, mostly because of the Virtual Console. I want simple, easy to learn, hard to master arcade style games.

Last game I played and finished was Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari), awesome length and really non-obtrusive controllers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm in the UK and the Wii is getting an INSANE amount of mainstream press attention right now, seems like every rag I pick up on the underground has a spread on it. It's been shifted into the bracket of 'technological must-have' instead of 'special interest toy' that the GC was.

Being an Australian, Gamecube crashed and burned massively down here.

But Wii is getting great press. Even Harvey Norman, the most casual store ever made and the biggest Nintendo haters ever, are actually going to stock Wii games and support the system heavily.

Farmboy

I think the general consensus with GC was that Nintendo had learned from its mistakes with the N64 -- which was flawed hardware, but which had some seminal software that'll be found near the top of best-games-ever lists for years to come. That level of software + more respectable hardware = domination. People also expected the Xbox to bomb. There was a lot of optimism wrt. Nintendo's chances.

Now, among hardcore gamers, there's scepticism because Cube-software didn't live up to the hype and because Nintendo has chosen to cater for a more casual audience. That, and the hardware is nowhere near as impressive this time around, in effect being a generation behind. There's more of a wait-and-see stance from people here this time around. However, the general optimism -- that Nintendo will once again turn the tide in terms of marketshare and relevance -- remains similar.

Saoh

I was surprised by the size of the GCN, i couldnt believe it :lol

but i think the Wii launch is x10 better only because of Zelda, hype or not, it doesnt matter, Zelda is Zelda.

underfooter said:
I think listing titles says enough

GOOD EXCLUSIVE GCN launch window games

Rogue Squadron
Luigi's Mansion
Waverace
Super Monkey Ball
SSBM

GOOD EXCLUSIVE GCN follow-up games (for one year)

Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil Zero
Starfox Adventures
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Sunshine

....(I think thats all)

GOOD EXCLUSIVE Wii launch window games

Rayman
Zelda
Excitetruck
Monkey Ball
Red Steel (still a bit up in the air)
Trauma Center

GOOD EXCLUSIVE Wii follow-up games (for one year)

Super Smash Bros.
Mario
Paper Mario World
Sonic
Resident Evil
Metroid Prime 3
Battalion Wars
Mario Soccer
Wario Ware

and slews and slews of whatifs like Forever Blue, Disaster, Wii Play, Mario Party 8, and more.

Wii rapes GCN. I don't think we'll have droughts on Wii, and hell, on Wii it is already clear there will be RACERS, FIGHTERS, and FPS in abundance. Wii launches with more FPS than GCN had its first year.

You're missing a lot of Gamecube games, most notably Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball 2, and to a lesser extent Sonic Adventure 2. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that some of the games you listed to Wii are going to be pushed back to 2008. They probably won't release both Smash Bros. and Galaxy against eachother this year and use up all their major franchise pulls (Barring Mario Kart) within the first year of a system's life.

big_z

With people camping out for preorders and the whole idea that nintendo is going to repeat what it did with the ds i think wii hype is a lot bigger than the cube.

Personally im more hyped for wii. Cube didn't really have a solid launch line up and the system offered nothing new. After stuff like guitar hero and some games on the ds im looking forward to new ways to play.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
superNoid said:
You're excited about the Wii because of a Gamecube game ?

Er..why not? This game was one of (if not THE) the most anticipated games on the GC.

Oblivion said:
Er..why not? This game was one of (if not THE) the most anticipated games on the GC.

For me, I've been waiting for this game for so long I've gained an unfounded sense of entitlement, as in I feel they owe me it by now after the endless delays. I also wish there was at least an option to play with traditional controls. Don't get me wrong, I can live with it. I just wish I didn't have to, nor that they didn't delay the Gamecube version past the point of being worth it.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Depends on who you talk/talked to.

Hands down & all around I believe the Wii is getting WAY more possitive support than GCN...

Wii::GCN
Nintendo Fans
gameplay over graphics guys!!!::ROTK
Haters
"name's gay, no HD, last-gen graphics am total...but I'm interested"::"it's a damned purple lunchbox"
"Gamers"
"can't wait for it...looks different"::"HA HA HA, RE4 on PS2 betrayalton LOLZ"
Casuals
"PS3 is too damned expenssive"::"PS2 is all I need"
Has-Been Gamers
interested::"eh, I'll buy a used SNES"
Developers
very interested::might throw it a bone and port same game to PS2 laterz, LOLZ
Publishers
cheaper games = money, money, money, money::kiddy system = kiddy games
Gaming Media
love it just in case it takes off::poke fun at it just in case it failed
Mass Media
"I'm playing TENNIS guys...I'm GOLFING guys, I'm SWASHBUCKLING guys!!!"::"the 'Game Cube Advanced' is Nintendo's last system"
Mainstream Population
might not even know what a Wii is::didn't know the difference between an X-CUBE & a GAME-BOX
General Concensus
"it's a toy...in a good way"::"it's a baby toy...look at it"
Advertising
"BUY ME"::"how the HELL do we sell this POS now?"

The MAIN problem with GCN was IMAGE from before the system even came out. The name got confused with X-BOX by the mainstream, the system looked gay to most people and the controller looked like a toy. People were HUGELY interested in "Dolphin", but when it was finally unveiled I think many people's hopes were DASHED and thus (when the X-BOX was unveiled) the N64 user-base was split in 2: essentially GCN & X-BOX, all while Sony laughed at both "competitors". GCN tried to differentiate itself, but instead it alienated itself with stillborn online & GBA connectivity ideas.

Wii is different and definatly more possitive. Maybe less hype, but there's alot more unique interest in the ideas behind the Wii whereas GCN looked like a watered-down X-BOX to most. Wii is a goofy name, BUT nobody's confusing the name with a competing system, nobody is looking at it like a pastel colored Fisher Price toy and overall I do believe Nintendo's image has changed for the better since before GCN launched. The graphics may be a problem to some people...but...for right now, I think more mainstream people are welcoming new ways to play as oppossed to "better graphics" on a more expensive machine...this is very good for Nintendo 'cos that's who they're trying to attract. They have a specific goal this time and NOT stillborn unfocussed ideas.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
It seems to me that a lot of the internet enthusiasm was because many thought that Nintendo was fixing the mistakes it made with the N64.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My enthusiasm for the Wii is higher than what I felt for the GCN. But I think Twilight Princess bears the brunt of the blame. G-d I've been waiting so long for that. The Wiimote is insanely exciting, don't get me wrong.

But it's ****ing Zelda!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's simple:

GC was the kind of launch even a fanboy might not love.

Wii is the kind of launch you don't have to be a fanboy to love.

Gamecube by far.

At the time I was a GAF lurker, TXB poster, PlanetGamecube poster and a IGN regular of all the console boards back in the day when IGN wasn't a pay site.

As hot as the PS2 was, the message board scene was never that hot for that system. Odd.

Jiggy

Gamecube wins for me personally because it had SSBM, AKA the best game of (what was then) all-time, within two weeks of its launch, whereas Wii has only the Virtual Console. Which is technically better, sure, but it hasn't realized its potential enough yet.

So... yeah. I know Wii will win out in the long run, so in that sense I'm "more hyped" for it, but in the short-term, GC generated a ton of interest for me personally while Wii turns me off instantly with its $250 pricetag.

typhonsentra said:
For me, I've been waiting for this game for so long I've gained an unfounded sense of entitlement, as in I feel they owe me it by now after the endless delays. I also wish there was at least an option to play with traditional controls. Don't get me wrong, I can live with it. I just wish I didn't have to, nor that they didn't delay the Gamecube version past the point of being worth it.

You don't owe them anything. If the game is better on Wii (which it is), then you should buy the Wii version. You shouldn't feel that you should play the worse version just because it was originally a Gamecube game.

Jake.

i actually think the wii has way more hype than the gamecube did overall, maybe some slightly critical previews with certain stuff but thats about it.

DrGAKMAN said:
Depends on who you talk/talked to.

Hands down & all around I believe the Wii is getting WAY more possitive support than GCN...

Wii::GCN
Nintendo Fans
gameplay over graphics guys!!!::ROTK
Haters
"name's gay, no HD, last-gen graphics am total...but I'm interested"::"it's a damned purple lunchbox"
"Gamers"
"can't wait for it...looks different"::"HA HA HA, RE4 on PS2 betrayalton LOLZ"
Casuals
"PS3 is too damned expenssive"::"PS2 is all I need"
Has-Been Gamers
interested::"eh, I'll buy a used SNES"
Developers
very interested::might throw it a bone and port same game to PS2 laterz, LOLZ
Publishers
cheaper games = money, money, money, money::kiddy system = kiddy games
Gaming Media
love it just in case it takes off::poke fun at it just in case it failed
Mass Media
"I'm playing TENNIS guys...I'm GOLFING guys, I'm SWASHBUCKLING guys!!!"::"the 'Game Cube Advanced' is Nintendo's last system"
Mainstream Population
might not even know what a Wii is::didn't know the difference between an X-CUBE & a GAME-BOX
General Concensus
"it's a toy...in a good way"::"it's a baby toy...look at it"
Advertising
"BUY ME"::"how the HELL do we sell this POS now?"

The MAIN problem with GCN was IMAGE from before the system even came out. The name got confused with X-BOX by the mainstream, the system looked gay to most people and the controller looked like a toy. People were HUGELY interested in "Dolphin", but when it was finally unveiled I think many people's hopes were DASHED and thus (when the X-BOX was unveiled) the N64 user-base was split in 2: essentially GCN & X-BOX, all while Sony laughed at both "competitors". GCN tried to differentiate itself, but instead it alienated itself with stillborn online & GBA connectivity ideas.

Wii is different and definatly more possitive. Maybe less hype, but there's alot more unique interest in the ideas behind the Wii whereas GCN looked like a watered-down X-BOX to most. Wii is a goofy name, BUT nobody's confusing the name with a competing system, nobody is looking at it like a pastel colored Fisher Price toy and overall I do believe Nintendo's image has changed for the better since before GCN launched. The graphics may be a problem to some people...but...for right now, I think more mainstream people are welcoming new ways to play as oppossed to "better graphics" on a more expensive machine...this is very good for Nintendo 'cos that's who they're trying to attract. They have a specific goal this time and NOT stillborn unfocussed ideas.

I dont even think we knew of RE4 on PS2 when the GC was launching... What we did know was 3rd parties were pledging "exclusive" support by the boatloads on GC... Capcom 5, Sega (Sonic Team), Konami, and every publisher that mattered... That's much quieter now on the Wii, although there are some Non Nintendo bright spots... (Though it's obvious the Wii is a Nintendo machine through and through)

As far as games, pre-launch it looked like the GC would be a powerhouse... it had RE and all the major 3rd parties! It had everything! The graphics debate was between the GC and Xbox... and it was acceptable last generation. Everyone thought Nintendo shedded their kiddie image, especially with RE, mature Zelda, and Eternal Darkness...

The Wii buzz was good but it was nowhere near GC's buzz..

I was way more hyped for Gamecube launch, but it really wasn't "launch" it was that Christmas. So I had SSBM as well. That alone made it awesome. Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader were just cake.

Terrell

typhonsentra said:
You're missing a lot of Gamecube games, most notably Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball 2, and to a lesser extent Sonic Adventure 2. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that some of the games you listed to Wii are going to be pushed back to 2008. They probably won't release both Smash Bros. and Galaxy against eachother this year and use up all their major franchise pulls (Barring Mario Kart) within the first year of a system's life.
Yes, because portioning out their franchises and keeping close to the vest worked ever so well for Gamecube.

ethelred

The Abominable Snowman said:
I dont even think we knew of RE4 on PS2 when the GC was launching... What we did know was 3rd parties were pledging "exclusive" support by the boatloads on GC... Capcom 5, Sega (Sonic Team), Konami, and every publisher that mattered... That's much quieter now on the Wii, although there are some Non Nintendo bright spots... (Though it's obvious the Wii is a Nintendo machine through and through)

You're joking... right? I mean, you must be, because otherwise your revisionistic view of history is completely blinkered.

The Capcom Five weren't announced until November 2002 -- a full year after the GameCube's launch. And this is evidence of pre-launch support?

Sega pledged exclusives by the boatloads? I don't think so... most of their early GameCube support consisted of Dreamcast-era ports. They've got more Wii exclusives lined up than GameCube exclusives and what's more, they've been far more enthusiastic in hyping the console and pledging to support it. Read their own PR on this one.

Konami announced two GameCube games in October 2001. Neither were exclusives as you claimed. This compares favorably with what they've announced for the Wii? Elebits, which is a genuine exclusive, plus International Superstar Soccer (one of the two GCN games they had lined up). Beyond that, they've also confirmed an RPG, two action adventures, and more. Konami's Wii lineup demolishes what they had for the GCN pre-launch.

Bandai didn't announce a single GameCube game until the end of November 01. In contrast, they've got... what, eight Wii games announced already? Most of those are exclusives, by the way.

I'm honestly not sure if people actually believe the bullcrap they spout off here sometimes.

i fell for the GC because of Rogue Leader's Graphix

i don't feel the same about the Wii, especially when I know what Ubi has in store for their handling of their PS2 ported titles

ethelred said:
You're joking... right? I mean, you must be, because otherwise your revisionistic view of history is completely blinkered.

The Capcom Five weren't announced until November 2002 -- a full year after the GameCube's launch. And this is evidence of pre-launch support?

Sega pledged exclusives by the boatloads? I don't think so... most of their early GameCube support consisted of Dreamcast-era ports. They've got more Wii exclusives lined up than GameCube exclusives and what's more, they've been far more enthusiastic in hyping the console and pledging to support it. Read their own PR on this one.

Konami announced two GameCube games in October 2001. Neither were exclusives as you claimed. This compares favorably with what they've announced for the Wii? Elebits, which is a genuine exclusive, plus International Superstar Soccer (one of the two GCN games they had lined up). Beyond that, they've also confirmed an RPG, two action adventures, and more. Konami's Wii lineup demolishes what they had for the GCN pre-launch.

Bandai didn't announce a single GameCube game until the end of November 01. In contrast, they've got... what, eight Wii games announced already? Most of those are exclusives, by the way.

I'm honestly not sure if people actually believe the bullcrap they spout off here sometimes.

Quality post.

kojacker

I think there is a lot more hype for the Wii because I see it mentioned everywhere, although TV ads have yet to start in Britain.

However, it seems the more I know about it the less I've become interested in it. I was totally sold during the Revolution years, but now I'm toying with the idea of cancelling my preorder and using the money towards a bit of travelling instead.

In comparison I was gaga for a gamecube at this same stage of it's launch and would have sold a kidney and teabagged my granny for one, though there was little to no hype about it outside normal gaming channels.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:

As far as games, pre-launch it looked like the GC would be a powerhouse... it had RE and all the major 3rd parties! It had everything! The graphics debate was between the GC and Xbox... and it was acceptable last generation. Everyone thought Nintendo shedded their kiddie image, especially with RE, mature Zelda, and Eternal Darkness...

The Wii buzz was good but it was nowhere near GC's buzz..

Hrmmm...again...it depends on who you talk/talked to.

My quotes about RE4 going to PS2 really doesn't apply to the question (pre-launch) at hand, but deep down...even though Nintendo was lining up some major 3RD party announcements throughout GCN's early life...we all knew it was for naught. Almost every "exclussive" title GCN got (sooner or later) eventually went to other systems. Therein lies another difference between the two systems: the lower-power & new interface of the Wii are gonna keep exclussives exclussive to the system!

To those who argue that GCN got more outside support...yadda yadda...again, depends on who you talk to. I'm sure there's stuff in store for Wii we don't know about yet. Plus, instead of there being alot of Japanese promices that would come late (Tales, FF:CC, CAPCOM 5, Sega, etc, etc) and get broken anyways...Wii is getting support from all around (Eastern *and* Western) and these are games that should be coming down the pipe sooner & quicker and ultimatly more often as time goes on (as oppssed to GCN where support kept dwindling & dwindling with several "low blows" even).

NC360

Banned
I think the hype was higher for the Gamecube. What has remained the same however, is that it's still unpopular to say anything negative about a Nintendo launch (at least till like months later).

The Xbox 360 launch had a tough start with ALOT negative said about it (Xbox 1.5) in the media. Now as most know, the PS3s has been feeling the heat. But it would seem that no one is allowed to say what they dislike about the Wii (except on 1up Yours Podcast it seems) without being "uncool" as a result.

Top Bottom