• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-Launch Hype Comparison: Wii -VS- Gamecube

Jokeropia

jimbo said:
But honestly to try and use VC as the savior in case of software gaps is pretty weak. First of all this is the same software that has not appealed to this "non-gamer" crowd for decades.
VC is for the lapsed gamers, not the "non-gamers".
jimbo said:
And these are also the games that everyone is "tired of" as you are saying yourself.
Did you even read his post? Many of the VC games are from before the time when lapsed gamers became lapsed, hence they're still interesting. (Like he mentioned, he and his friends used the modded Xbox to play these very games.)

jimbo said:
No, the software problem is glaringly still there, and simpy shoveling a bunch of games and re-hashing others is NO GOOD SUBSTITUTE for good quality 3rd party and 1st party support. Which Nintendo, IMO will still lack once again. . And let's not forget that the fact that they don't seem to care to create ANYTHING new on a regular basis as far as software, doesn't exactly help either.
So much wrong with this that I almost don't know where to start. 1.) Nintendo lacks 1st party support? Zelda, Metroid, Mario and Smash Bros. (plus a bunch of new IPs) within the span of a year is not good enough?! 2.) There are over 200 Wii games announced already, which is a huge step up from both GC and N64. (Several major 3rd party exclusives too, like Red Steel, Sonic Wildfire, Rayman Raving Rabbids, FF:CC and DQ: Swords.) 3.) Nintendo doesn't create anything new as far as software goes? Disaster, Excite Truck (yes it's technically a follow-up to Excite Bike but come on), Project Hammer and Wii Sports are announced already. Let's also not forget that Nintendo has created the two most successful new IPs since GTA with Nintendogs and Brain Training.
jimbo said:
So you're implying that there's absolutely no chance that Wii will become a social phenomenon in Japan? DS has done so, and I'm sure you'd have posted more than one :lol if anyone had claimed that before launch.
jimbo said:
There is an awfull lot of wishfull thinking in there, and unfortunatell, willing it and making it sound intelligent has no better chance of making it come to true than babbling about it. Don't get me wrong your writing is well thought out, but there's no real substance to back up anything that was said.
Actually the main points are undeniable facts, namely that X360 is currently selling to the hardcore and that PS3 will always be significantly more expensive than Wii.

The major problem with the GC was that Nintendo’s major first party games not only released too late but they also didn’t deliver like they could have. Mario Sunshine wasn’t as well-received or groundbreaking as Mario 64 and lots of people disliked the Cell-shading in Wind Waker and could use this as a reason to pass up on the GC. (And without fully realized first party support, what distinction does a Nintendo console have over it’s competitors?) It also didn’t help of course that PS2 had a 20 million lead right from the start, or that the console came in purple as a standard. GC - GBA connectivity were also not as feasible as Wii – DS connectivity due to need of extra cables.

Jokeropia said:
Yet they gladly paid $150-$170 for Brain Age.

Granted, this worked better in Japan and Europe than USA (though it'll still reach at least a million in the US too) so if you're only speaking for Americans you have a better point.

You can take the DS/DS Lite anywhere. The Wii lacks this advantage. Can fit into a large coat pocket, a purse, a bookbag, etc. Take it out and play whenever. You cannot do this with the Wii. The portability is a huge advantage. This is why I think the Wii will not have the huge casual base like the DS.

I've already said that this thing will probably bring in hundreds of thousands to a couple million people in the US. Probably not even enough to stem the sales of PS3 and Xbox 360 or even rattle its cages. The GC was unable to shake off the Xbox and it was pretty much the bum's unwashed ass of the 128 bit consoles in terms of anticipation and initial appreciation.

The Wii has a huge fight to face if it intends to get to #1 anywhere.

Joates

Banned
First of all I would like to say I agree with Jimbo that lapsed is pretty off base... Well thought out but more wishful thinking that solid foundations.

(I know GAF won't believe me so try this. Find a lapsed gamer who used to love gaming and describe the Wii to them including the Virtual Console. I guarantee you the person's eyes will begin to brighten.) Most of the 'untraditional' people who are getting a Wii at launch are those who haven't bought a game console in over a decade.

This statement right here. Basically I think the key point that appeals to these lapsed gamers is the virtual console. Take that out of the equation and you wouldnt get near the same reaction, so in other words, if you were to tell them Nintendo was launching XXXX console that focused solely on backwards compatibility with maybe some new / arcade 8-16bit games, their eyes would probly begin to brighten.

JoatesDogg187 said:
First of all I would like to say I agree with Jimbo that lapsed is pretty off base... Well thought out but more wishful thinking that solid foundations.

This statement right here. Basically I think the key point that appeals to these lapsed gamers is the virtual console. Take that out of the equation and you wouldnt get near the same reaction, so in other words, if you were to tell them Nintendo was launching XXXX console that focused solely on backwards compatibility with maybe some new / arcade 8-16bit games, their eyes would probly begin to brighten.

Its the same type of Nintendo fan idealism that is prevalent before every Nintendo system launch.

Old fans get hyped for it, recent Nintendo fans get hyped, and a woodwork of lapsed gamers comes out and proclaims how this new Nintendo machine is the new hotness.

Wash, rinse, and repeat every five years.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oblivion said:
I don't get this. The demo ran at 60fps, there was bump mapping, and the animation was very fluid. The only thing was that the models seemed low poly with not as good textures.

I don't get THIS. If you fluidly animate a bump-mapped turd at 60fps, does it suddenly make it not a piece of crap? Buzzwords and benchmarks aint worth shit.

(First-page quote FTL, I know.)

SA-X

Personally, I was more hyped for the Cube launch myself. I was all about Rogue Leader graphics comparisons and was really looking forward to getting my hands on Pikmin after reading about it all year.

But between the 'revolutionary' control scheme and what will possibly be the greatest Zelda ever, I think people in general are more hyped for the Wii. It also looks slightly less like a kid's toy than the Cube did, so at least it has that going for it.

The Experiment said:
Its the same type of Nintendo fan idealism that is prevalent before every Nintendo system launch.

Old fans get hyped for it, recent Nintendo fans get hyped, and a woodwork of lapsed gamers comes out and proclaims how this new Nintendo machine is the new hotness.

Thx. This will be a nice bookmart post a year from now to revisit.

The Experiment said:

convenientparking said:
By every five years, do you mean since 1996 when the N64 launched? As in... what you said applies to only TWO system launches? I don't think two launches that failed to live up their hype provide enough information for one to automatically assume the Wii will fail to live up to its hype. After all, the success of the two Nintendo consoles preceding the N64 most certainly exceeded expectations, didn't it?
Wow. System wars aside, this is pretty hard ownage, The Experiment. You got logically hosed by a junior member.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I don't know how Wii hype compares to Gamecube hype at the time. At E3, the hype for Wii was far higher than it ever was for the Gamecube. I don't think I've ever seen GAF that hyped and I've survived several megatons and big unveilings. Then it settled down and rebuilt in September. It settled down again and has been slowing climbing in recent days and will probably continue until launch. I don't think any of us can really remember what we felt for the Gamecube accurately because we are blurring a years worth of hype into one memory.

Wii hype comes and goes. I remember plenty of 360 hype. What I don't see is a lot of PS3 hype. Which is surprising. TGS was the first sign of life and hope for the system, but we're 5 days out from the system's release and you would never know it. This place should be ecstatic. It launches in 12 days in the US and I've finally seen one ad for it (terrible BTW and it took me a minute to figure out what "///7" meant, how is the general public ever suppose to understand that), I've seen no demo units yet, and of the 6 stores I've visited this weekend (Target, Wal Mart, Best Buy, Game Crazy, EBGames, & Toys'R'Us) I've seen only 4 PS3 posters/displays between them. Wii has 2-4 times the space dedicated to it for displays, preorders, units, and merchandise.

JJConrad said:
What I don't see is a lot of PS3 hype. Which is surprising.

Considering the price, the launch lineup, and the lack of units are you really? I'm serious.

I'm the type of gamer who buys everything. I bought the DS at launch even though I hated that system (I've come to change my mind of course) but if/when I "potentially" get that PS3 from the best buy thread, I wouldn't kept that thing for a second. Why would I?

And that's really not normal for me. I never hesitated to keep my 360 for example in the same situation last year. I think the more interesting question is comparing PS2 to PS3 hype. I think there is a huge decline anecdotally in that comparison imo.

o_0 at the size of convenientparking's avatar.

(The stupid auto resize of the forum again?)

Edit: Waitasec, it's cyclical. Anyway, one of 'em is definitely too big for the forum.

Anyway, around where I live, Wii hype is approximately the same as Gamecube hype: 0

Amir0x

Banned
Overall, media hype is probably much above where it was prior to Gamecube. I think it's partly due to the climate, and how nobody quite wants to be caught with their pants down after all the "PSP over DS" predictions.

My personal hype for Wii is significantly less than it was when I purchased a Gamecube.

Actually Amir0x, maybe you should do something about conveinentparking... his random avatar has some pretty TOS abusing images in it - i daren't link them.

This is the first console the myself and two of my friends will be buying at launch. They are I guess what you would consider casual gamers too and they never owned GameCubes if that means anything. I think the only thing that interested them around the launch of the GameCube was NHL Hitz, but I don't think that was enough to sway them. Then they saw videos of Wii Sports and people playing Madden football and now want to get one. That and the possibility they can play their old games in VC (hopefully). Personal anecdote ftw!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was WAY more hyped about the GCN launch. I was a much bigger Nintendo fan back then, too, so that's probably why. I'm not really interested in the direction Nintendo is taking with Wii, at least not yet. I still love their franchises, though, so it's very likely I'll pick up a Wii sooner or later. So long as I can play Zelda on Cube, though, I won't need to buy a Wii just yet.

It's interesting that I just came back from a trip to Chicago, and got to hang out with young adult male gamers (brothers-in-laws and friends) ages 17-26. Now, Nintendo hasn't been selling to this demographic since the SNES, but it was still stunning to see how much dislike they had for Nintendo and the Wii (what little they knew of it). It was really weird to hear their excitement about the next Halo, the Ps3, etc. and I felt stupid for even bringing up the Wii in conversation, since it was obvious they weren't looking forward to the controller and they were very aware of its horsepower limitations.

I realize all this can change if the Wii becomes hugely popular and eventually gets adopted by this demographic, but it was certainly jarring to see just how badly Nintendo's rep seems to be with the audience that's become the lifeblood of Xbox and PlayStation.

And the funny thing is, they had a ton of fun with my wife's DS. So, I guess it's up to Nintendo to make games that draw them in enough to give the Wii a chance. Then again, Nintendo still needs to do that for me, and I'm a fan of their games already. I think Nintendo faces a much tougher battle this gen in North America than a lot of its fans think.

Macht

the androgyne said:
Actually Amir0x, maybe you should do something about conveinentparking... his random avatar has some pretty TOS abusing images in it - i daren't link them.

Yes, please do something about that. I just saw that too :/

Amir0x

Banned
the androgyne said:

I am only a mod so I can't remove his avatar, but I have banned him and deleted his posts

I was probably more hyped for Gamecube... maybe over-hyped. I really loved how it looked, and was expecting a plethora of first-party-N64 beating titles. I thought it would be a world beater and stay toe to toe with PS2 (something which neither the cube nor Xbox could manage). What we got instead was a system with about 4/5 years worth of consistantly good games that were spaced too far apart. Periods of dust magnetism! The system was powerful, efficient and cheap so I wasn't overly disappointed, but it really didn't live upto its potential.

I think the fact that I'm still hyped for Wii in light of my personal disappointments when it came to the cube means I must have more faith in it.

I'm more interested in what it is and what it can do than I was with Gamecube. My personal hype and expectations aside, the main reason I wanted Gamecube at the outset was new Mario and Zelda, and Rogue Squadron II. I can think of many many more reasons to want a Wii.

Amir0x said:
Overall, media hype is probably much above where it was prior to Gamecube. I think it's partly due to the climate, and how nobody quite wants to be caught with their pants down after all the "PSP over DS" predictions.

My personal hype for Wii is significantly less than it was when I purchased a Gamecube.

Who wants to be wrong again? :D

Amir0x

Banned
Who indeed? I don't quite care about being wrong, I care about the industry not being a huge piece of shit! I mourn them being wrong, since it has led to a much shittier industry from my pov!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
Who indeed? I don't quite care about being wrong, I care about the industry not being a huge piece of shit! I mourn them being wrong, since it has led to a much shittier industry from my pov!
The shittiness in todays industry has less to do with the DS trumping the PSP and more to do with how microtransactions are infiltrating everything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't think the DS has led the industry in the wrong direction, necessarily. It still has a bunch of games that hardcore gamers like in addition to the crazy mini-games. I am, however, worried that the Wii will take console gaming in the wrong direction. I don't like the launch games (apart from Zelda), and I worry that if the Wii becomes the standard, I might become alienated with its library of games.

I know that it might end up being like the DS with it's varied library, which would be a good thing. I don't know if I'll ever get over it's lack of horsepower, though. Though it's not up to PsP standards, the DS was a natural evolution to the GBA. The Wii is not a true successor, in my mind, to the GCN in terms of graphical ability.

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
The shittiness in todays industry has less to do with the DS trumping the PSP and more to do with how microtransactions are infiltrating everything.

oh, that's certainly part of it.

jimbo

Banned
threeball said:
Then why do Nintendo games dominate the gamerankings.com top 10?

What exactly does that have anything to do with what we were talking about? All that says is that Nintendo makes some of the best quality games.

I think that the Wii's graphical shortcomings have limited the hype of hardcore nintendo fans to the point where it is equal or even less than Gamecube's

On the other hand, i ve seen many other gamers getting hyped for the system because of all its unique characteristics. And most of all, mainstream media coverage is immensely, undeniably much much bigger than Gamecube's. So, yeah, i dont know :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
oh, that's certainly part of it.
Actually, after thinking about it, that's really the only part. I can't think of anything that outright offends me about gaming today other than the microtransactions, and at least for now that hasn't hit any games I want to play. But we shall see.
The DS trumping may have been a shock (I only bought a PSP for the expected Squeenix support ;_;) but oh well. Good games all around.

I think that what the most worrying thing about Nintendo is that so many years later, and the company still hasnt shown signs that its ready to create some significantly important new franchises that will apply to hardcore gamers. While the Wiigames series may prove commercially and critically successful, we need MANY games similar to what Pikmin was for Gamecube and i dont see them coming. Twilight Princess possibly proves that Nintendo's designers still have the ability to create some of the most amazing material for the hardcore and the fans, but Nintendo seems reluctant to spend any more time and money for us, concentrating on a bigger, more diversive line up but in the end with less impact

jimbo said:
What exactly does that have anything to do with what we were talking about? All that says is that Nintendo makes some of the best quality games.

Public perception. Just like PS2 was more powerful than Gamecube publicly. It really doesnt matter if every game you put out is 9.0+/10.0, if everyone thinks you're a loser they are not going to buy into you. Then their friends wont buy into you.....then their cousins wont bother into you.......on and on

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I want an online Mario Kart where you can throw objects in the distance pointing with the wiimote. I want online Wave Race and 1080° that would play just like Excite trucks. I want sport games that makes you pass the ball to your teamates by pointing at them. I want a Starfox that makes you hold the wiimote like a plane and shoot with the nunchuk. I want Wario Ware and Mario Galaxy just as they are. I want Samba de Amigo and other crazy rythm games like wii Music to be good. I want Virtual On with wii/nunchuk combo. I want Metroïd Prime to be just as polished as Zelda TP. If Nintendo can deliver that for a start, the wii won't suffer much from its graphics. Actually it would own any previous Nintendo console.

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
VC is for the lapsed gamers, not the "non-gamers".
Did you even read his post? Many of the VC games are from before the time when lapsed gamers became lapsed, hence they're still interesting. (Like he mentioned, he and his friends used the modded Xbox to play these very games.)

Once again, I am not about to go into this debate of labeling gamers. Ever since Nintendo went this route with the Wii there's all kinds of new lables being placed by loyalists to try to make a point.

So much wrong with this......Nintendo doesn't create anything new as far as software goes? Disaster, Excite Truck (yes it's technically a follow-up to Excite Bike but come on), Project Hammer and Wii Sports ...... Let's also not forget that Nintendo has created the two most successful new IPs since GTA with Nintendogs and Brain Training."

First of all I never said Nintendo doesn't have great first party games. I simply stated VC is no good substitute for great 1st party and 3rd party support. Period. Quit reading too much into it.
And second of all, Nintendogs, Brain Training are all handheld games that started and took of on their handheld systems. Nintendo hasn't done anything close to this on consoles since Wave Race. They're missing their Pokemon, Nintendogs and Brain Training of consoles and I'm sorry, but games like Excite Truck and Wii Sports(which is hardly a game) will be forgotten faster than you can say Pikmin. And that's exactly what I am reffering too. I don't want a freaking console version of Nintendogs for the Wii like they did with Pokemon and GC. I want the next big game like Nintendogs to BE a Wii game.

"So you're implying that there's absolutely no chance that Wii will become a social phenomenon in Japan? DS has done so, and I'm sure you'd have posted more than one :lol if anyone had claimed that before launch.

No. I'm not. Although, IMO, it's highly unlikely, especially anywhere outside Japan. But I'm laughing at the seriousity and certainty of the way that statement was made as if there's no way the Wii WON'T become the market leader. :lol Still cracks me up.

Actually the main points are undeniable facts, namely that X360 is currently selling to the hardcore and that PS3 will always be significantly more expensive than Wii.

And for the past two generation Nintendo consoles have appealed 95% mainly to Nintendo gamers. And when the Wii comes out then IT will sell mainly to hardcore gamers too in its first year, as well as the PS3. So what's your point? And while I agree with you on PS3, sooner or later that price will drop.

"The major problem .........of extra cables.

I agree with you that some of the Wii games, in particular Zelda and Mario look way better than their GC pre-quels. But let's keep in mind, the N64 has some of the most amazing games Nintendo had ever put out. But it was the lack of third party support that let Sony take the lead. How many more generations have to go buy before some of you realize that the console with the BEST third party support always ends up on top? I mean seriously. What's so hard to get?

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Actually, after thinking about it, that's really the only part. I can't think of anything that outright offends me about gaming today other than the microtransactions, and at least for now that hasn't hit any games I want to play. But we shall see.
The DS trumping may have been a shock (I only bought a PSP for the expected Squeenix support ;_;) but oh well. Good games all around.

that's good, not the case for me but good on you

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
jimbo said:
How many more generations have to go buy before some of you realize that the console with the BEST third party support always ends up on top? I mean seriously. What's so hard to get?
Just in: Nintendo has no chance to have the best third party support. Even if they have the biggest userbase. Oh wait...

Coming next: Nintendo has no chance to have the biggest userbase.

jimbo

Banned
gamergirly said:
Public perception. Just like PS2 was more powerful than Gamecube publicly. It really doesnt matter if every game you put out is 9.0+/10.0, if everyone thinks you're a loser they are not going to buy into you. Then their friends wont buy into you.....then their cousins wont bother into you.......on and on

Again, I'm not following your point in relations to my original statement.

Jokeropia

The Experiment said:
You can take the DS/DS Lite anywhere.
So? I don't see why this is such a huge selling point for "non-gamers" who play solitaire at home on their computers.
The Experiment said:
I've already said that this thing will probably bring in hundreds of thousands to a couple million people in the US. Probably not even enough to stem the sales of PS3 and Xbox 360 or even rattle its cages.
A couple of million in the US would translate to around 10 million worldwide (since the non-gamer market so far has shown to be more receptive in Japan and Europe) which most definitely makes a difference.
The Experiment said:
The Wii has a huge fight to face if it intends to get to #1 anywhere.
Japan. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to win there, but it has a very good chance.

RevenantKioku

Amir0x said:
that's good, not the case for me but good on you
Well of course it's not good for you, you make it a clear point that very few things are!
Just cause Nintendo is dicking you on a US Mother 3 release is no reason to rag on the superior DS. ;D

jimbo

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Just in: Nintendo has no chance to have the best third party support. Even if they have the biggest userbase. Oh wait...

Coming next: Nintendo has no chance to have the biggest userbase.

Well that remains to be seen now doesn't it?

Jokeropia

jimbo said:
I simply stated VC is no good substitute for great 1st party and 3rd party support. Period.
And I'm saying that it doesn't need to be.
jimbo said:
And second of all, Nintendogs, Brain Training are all handheld games that started and took of on their handheld systems. Nintendo hasn't done anything close to this on consoles since Wave Race.
Done what? Created a new console IP that became a big success? Animal Crossing and Pikmin.
jimbo said:
I'm sorry, but games like Excite Truck and Wii Sports(which is hardly a game) will be forgotten faster than you can say Pikmin.
It must be nice to see into the future!

I think at least Wii Sports has a good chance of being a success in the vein of Duck Hunt, personally.
jimbo said:
And while I agree with you on PS3, sooner or later that price will drop.
Yes, but it will most likely always be higher than the PS2's at an equivalent point in it's life.
jimbo said:
But let's keep in mind, the N64 has some of the most amazing games Nintendo had ever put out. But it was the lack of third party support that let Sony take the lead.
The N64 had the opposite problem as the GC. It had top-notch first party support but virtually no third party support whatsoever. If Nintendo can provide N64-level first party support combined with +GC-level third party support (which so far is looking to be the case), the Wii has a good chance to perform better than both.

jimbo said:
How many more generations have to go buy before some of you realize that the console with the BEST third party support always ends up on top? I mean seriously. What's so hard to get?
This is oversimplified. PS1 and PS2 won because their third-party support was miles and miles better than the competition. If the third-party situation is less one-sided, first-parties will play a bigger role.

Btw, did SNES have better third party support than the Genesis?

jimbo said:
Problems with Wii.

1. Nintendo still has the same image problem, and are still trying to change it by hoping to appeal to a larger demographic. So far, and this is the part people forget, it's still the same and it remains to be seen if it will work.

You think so? I'm of the opinion that the DS has been instrumental in repairing the damage of Nintendo imagine from the N64 onwards. Ok there is a clear distinction between home consoles and hand held but they've been proactive in other areas as well. Not making the console a ****ing purple box with a handle was a good start, along with the wide variety of people they've been using in their vids. Launch with MATUR! Zelda and a racing game from Nintendo helps as well.

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
And I'm saying that it doesn't need to be.

Yes but he was, so then what the heck are you talking about?

Done what? Created a new console IP that became a big success? Animal Crossing and Pikmin.
:lol

[Mario, Zelda, Metroid].......[Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.]
[Final Fantasy, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden].......[Wild Arms, Shinobi, Kameo]

See a difference?

I think at least Wii Sports has a good chance of being a success in the vein of Duck Hunt, personally.

Well I should hope so considering it's a pack-in.

"This is oversimplified. PS1 and PS2 won because their third-party support was miles and miles better than the competition. If the third-party situation is less one-sided, first-parties will play a bigger role."

You're right there's not going to be as much of a difference this time as far as PS3 vs others are concerned...but as far as the Wii? I think there still will be. Why? Because the PS3 and 360 are very close in power while the Wii is not. So the gap is going to be just as big, IMO. The 360+PS3 user-base will highly outnumber Wii's user base. You can already see this from the announcements of highly anticipated games such as Assasin's Creed, GTA, Biosock, etc...which are not coming out for the Wii. The Wii is going to miss out on some of the best third party games this generation, and if it's lucky it will see spin-off of those games.

Btw, did SNES have better third party support than the Genesis?

SNES did. But Genesis had great third party support too for awhile, and that's what helped it stay close to SNES sales for some time.

Ranger X

From what i remember i think the Gamecube didn't create as much a buzz that the Wii is creating right now.
It was laughed at because of it's color, it's shape and the kido bashing on Nintendo was at it's summit. Many people felt it was bad for it using a proprietary format too.

Right now the Wii is doing better than the GC in matter of hype. I am also personally more hyped about the Wii than i was for the Gamecube.

MaddenNFL64

I think Wii will be spin-off central. Most games centered around the pointer & gesturing obviously. Means a original experience for Wii owners, and a reason for fans of various series to get a Wii.

Jokeropia

jimbo said:
Yes but he was, so then what the heck are you talking about?
I don't care what he said, I took issue with your statement that Nintendo lacked good first and third party support.
jimbo said:
:lol

[Mario, Zelda, Metroid].......[Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.]
[Final Fantasy, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden].......[Wild Arms, Shinobi, Kameo]

See a difference?
Not really, except that the games you mention are from several different developers and barring FF and Halo fails to sell as well as the respective Nintendo games.
jimbo said:
Well I should hope so considering it's a pack-in.
What I'm referring to it's that it can be a selling point for the console, especially for "non-gamers".
jimbo said:
You're right there's not going to be as much of a difference this time as far as PS3 vs others are concerned...but as far as the Wii? I think there still will be. Why? Because the PS3 and 360 are very close in power while the Wii is not. So the gap is going to be just as big, IMO. The 360+PS3 user-base will highly outnumber Wii's user base. You can already see this from the announcements of highly anticipated games such as Assasin's Creed, GTA, Biosock, etc...which are not coming out for the Wii. The Wii is going to miss out on some of the best third party games this generation, and if it's lucky it will see spin-off of those games.
Again, it must be nice to see into the future so you can know which third party games will be the best this generation.

Furthermore, developing for Wii is in general much less expensive than developing for X360 and PS3, leading to support still being feasible. More importantly, Wii is for this reason also more likely to get exclusives than the other two, which drives hardware sales better than multiplatform titles. (A great Wii exclusive for example would be a Star Wars Lightsaber game or a Harry Potter game where you use the Wiimote as a magic wand, neither of which would translate well to other consoles.)
jimbo said:
SNES did. But Genesis had great third party support too for awhile, and that's what helped it stay close to SNES sales for some time.
Do you have any statistics to back this up? (Amount of third parties supporting each console, big third party titles driving sales etc.)

In either case, it is possible for at least a handheld system to win on first party support alone, which the DS has proven. It probably won't happen on the console market, but this is most likely because no single company knows the console market as well as Nintendo knows the handheld market.

jimbo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Again, it must be nice to see into the future so you can know which third party games will be the best this generation.

Furthermore, developing for Wii is in general much less expensive than developing for X360 and PS3, leading to support still being feasible. More importantly, Wii is for this reason also more likely to get exclusives than the other two, which drives hardware sales better than multiplatform titles. (A great Wii exclusive for example would be a Star Wars Lightsaber game or a Harry Potter game where you use the Wiimote as a magic wand, neither of which would translate well to other consoles.)
Do you have any statistics to back this up? (Amount of third parties supporting each console, big third party titles driving sales etc.)

In either case, it is possible for at least a handheld system to win on first party support alone, which the DS has proven. It probably won't happen on the console market, but this is most likely because no single company knows the console market as well as Nintendo knows the handheld market.

See this is exactly why I think there's a lot of wishfull thinking in there. The next-gen generation has already started. There are ALREADY trends being set right now. You're sitting there making would-be scenarios and I'm sitting here saying.....but look....Assasin's Creed, GTA, etc.....they are coming on the PS3 and 360 not the Wii. I don't have to look into the future. I can simply look at what's happening right now. You already have people saying hey I'm buying a PS3 or 360 for MGS3 or GTA or whatever right now. And having games like that announced is better than simply having a THEORY of getting some more exclusives at some point in the future and listing examples of what that game might be. Right now most of these third party games on Wii are simply poor ports, a lot of them from UBI, with a Wii control scheme. But basically the same game with worse graphics.

seat

jimbo said:
seriousity
gs-7.png

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom