• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does Microsoft name the next Xbox now?

nomis

2003_dodge_durango_rt_002.jpg

Prophane33

This really is the million dollar question. Throwing my guesses into the ring I'd go with either Xbox 8, Xbox 3, or Xbox 720 (no kidding). I honestly have no clue how anything that isn't just a name (e.g. Xbox Durango) would make sense other than an 8 (for Windows 8) or 3 (obvious). On second thought, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Xbox ::Insert a name here::.

Keyouta

Kind of off topic, but it would be cool if they used a slogan/ad campaign using the X as a variable.

"GameBox
TVBox
MusicBox
EntertainmentBox
Introducing the new Xbox____"

Concept17

Xbox Infinity and Beyond are both awful, awful names. Generic and vague.

Paul Thurrott is saying its going to be called "Xbox", and I believe him. He's rarely wrong.

This is a possibility should MS decide to take the route of making the platform versatile with all their products and things going more and more digital.

I think it would make it harder to market however.

Kind of off topic, but it would be cool if they used a slogan/ad campaign using the X as a variable.

"GameBox
TVBox
MusicBox
EntertainmentBox
Introducing the new Xbox____"

That'd be kinda cute.

Personally I like The Next Xbox (taking a page out of The "new" iPad) or Xbox Next. "Next" sort of has a rhythm with Xbox that "new" doesn't give you, and is different enough so that they're not completely ripping off Apple.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
In all seriousness, 'The new Xbox' will probably it.

While Xbox infinity sounds awesome it's just too much to probably brand it minimally unless the text is a little understated.

alphaNoid

Banned
This is a possibility should MS decide to take the route of making the platform versatile with all their products and things going more and more digital.

I think it would make it harder to market however.

Sure, and I agree. Paul is saying that MS has a scheduled event to announce the new "Xbox" in April. His sources are very rarely incorrect. So we'll find out soon.

I think the name "Xbox" is showing to be a poor choice in name now. The "Xbox" brand is obviously strong, but the name is so strange and doesn't really fit the message of the product, IMO. Playstation is a great name to work with and modify. If I were Microsoft, I'd just come up with a new name for this box entirely if it is truly going to become primarily a media hub.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sony's recent announcement to call their console the PS4 would not have an impact on Microsoft's choice of name for their platform.

Any decision for their name would be done a while ago already. There are multiple long leadtime tasks that need to be well underway or completed now ahead of an April/May reveal:

- Name availability and connotation checks
- Trademarking and securing the URLs
- Designing and artworking the logotype
- Making molds for mass production devices carrying the name
- Creating templates and guidelines for packaging and manuals, as well as promotional materials like trailer end frames

Whatever it will be called, it would have been locked already last year. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that they would have rationally guessed it's pretty likely that Orbis will be called PS4.

iMax

Say these out loud:

• Xbox
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox 4

Xbox 4 seems to be the most natural sounding name following the Xbox 360 — and if you count the slim, it's technically the 4th Xbox iteration.

tino

Banned
I hope its actually called "Xbox", then people can start properly call it "Xbox 3" like "iPad 3" and "iPad 4".

Top Bottom