• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

fusoya59

can anyone connect to the wii shop channel right now? i can't, and that's probably because nintendo's either a) their servers are busy or b) my router sucks.

IGN is not neccessarily the most trustful of sources, but they do list the TurboGrafx-16 games for December... which means that they could be tumbling into the shop within the next few weeks.

fusoya59 said:
can anyone connect to the wii shop channel right now? i can't, and that's probably because nintendo's either a) their servers are busy or b) my router sucks.
I've been having a lot of trouble and my connection tests ok so I feel like it's probably their servers.

Mrbob

TG 16 games in December? Good. Disappointed to see they weren't available yet.

I was on the Wii shop before, redeemed my 2000 point card. Everything seems to be runnning ok.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
JoshuaJSlone said:
Each VC download must include its own emulator. The Super Mario 64 download isn't even twice as big as the Mario Bros. download. I haven't checked via SD card to be more accurate, but it mentioned that initially there were ~2200 blocks free and SM64 takes something like 160. Over 30 megabytes for an 8 megabyte game? Over 20 MB for Mario Bros.? Either I'm doing my math something horrible, or the flash RAM is going to fill up much, much, much faster than I anticipated.

That sounds to be the case. 20MB for Mario Bros. is woah.

It seems like it would have been more efficient to implement an actual emulator within the OS or something. Not by a game per game basis. I would like to know Nintendo's reasoning for this :/

BlueTsunami said:
That sounds to be the case. 20MB for Mario Bros. is woah.

It seems like it would have been more efficient to implement an actual emulator within the OS or something. Not by a game per game basis. I would like to know Nintendo's reasoning for this :/

Proprietary SD cards, duh. :)

I noticed this with the first videos that popped up... Donkey Kong was 91 blocks (when the rom is ~28kb). Whilst it looks like they're packaging the emulators with the games, it *could* also be the additional materials ie manuals that come with them taking up some of the space. The SM64 example is pretty big tho! And remember that the WiiOS and channels are likely stored in that 512MB flash space as well, so who knows how much the starting (2156? i forget) blocks actually amounts to. Check the SD card for the real rom size if you can!

the androgyne said:
I noticed this with the first videos that popped up... Donkey Kong was 91 blocks (when the rom is ~28kb). Whilst it looks like they're packaging the emulators with the games, it *could* also be the additional materials ie manuals that come with them taking up some of the space. The SM64 example is pretty big tho! And remember that the WiiOS and channels are likely stored in that 512MB flash space as well, so who knows how much the starting (2156? i forget) blocks actually amounts to. Check the SD card for the real rom size if you can!
The instruction manual stuff certainly takes some space, but I can't imagine much. Also, I was wrong on the number of blocks taken. I thought Mario Bros. was about 90 and SM64 about 160. Your noticing a video of Donkey Kong at 91 makes me think I was right about what I saw of Mario Bros. However, browsing the data storage area of the Wii earlier, I noticed Mario Bros. was 19 blocks and SM64 was 90. Still much larger than the originals, though less so. Unfortunately I don't have an SD card handy to check what the actual sizes are.

Something is afoot! Cause the videos i saw showed a guy purchasing his first VC game (Donkey Kong) and it definitely said 91 blocks. Another video by the same guy afterwards, showed transferring the game to an SD card, and it was 19 blocks. My first impression was that the machine/shop somehow detected he had no prior NES roms, and therefore included the emulator in the package. (So not every game would include the emulator, only the first ones you get for each system - but that seems a bit too easy for Nintendo style). Can you confirm the amount of blocks Donkey Kong is for you now (in the shop - you don't have to purchase it)

Dragmire

I'm surprised that there are no game trailers or DS demos available in any way through Wii. Seems like a good thing for them to take advantage of. I'm sure they'll have it someday, but it just seems like they overlooked or deprioritized the kind of things you'd expect them to implement.

Can someone with the Wii Classic pad confirm if the shoulder buttons are analog or digital? I think soundwave05 mentioned they were analog with digital click, then on gamespy i'm reading they feel like SNES buttons! They also mention the clip on the back here too - but he doesn't know what it's for.... does it not have it in the manual? Can someone check please! And finally, anyone tried playing some cube games with one?!

the androgyne said:
Something is afoot! Cause the videos i saw showed a guy purchasing his first VC game (Donkey Kong) and it definitely said 91 blocks. Another video by the same guy afterwards, showed transferring the game to an SD card, and it was 19 blocks. My first impression was that the machine/shop somehow detected he had no prior NES roms, and therefore included the emulator in the package. (So not every game would include the emulator, only the first ones you get for each system - but that seems a bit too easy for Nintendo style). Can you confirm the amount of blocks Donkey Kong is for you now (in the shop - you don't have to purchase it)
91, 19... perhaps it is displaying reversed at the store? Strike that, considering the numbers I thought the store told me they were, and the numbers that it later said they were, it seems there was a difference of 72 blocks for each? Anyway, let me check what the store says for a few games.

Well, it doesn't tell anything about a number of blocks until you've confirmed you want to download, so I didn't get any useful information.

There's a confirmation screen showing amount of blocks before you download - like here
dk.gif

Edit: actually ... on closer inspection, that screen says 'Blocks to download (Max)' - implying that yeah, the emulator may be packaged with it if you don't have a rom/system emulator on the machine previously.

OK. Forgot about that second one and didn't want to slip 500 points.

Donkey Kong does say 91 points. However, I notice (on my screen and the image you showed) that it says "Blocks to Download (max)". Umm, Shop, shouldn't you know this stuff?

Donkey Kong: 91
Pinball: 91
Soccer: 92
Solomon's Key: 93

Only have 500 points right now, so I can't get that far for SNES or Genesis games. SM64 I'd need to delete to redownload I guess.

the androgyne said:
Edit: actually ... on closer inspection, that screen says 'Blocks to download (Max)' - implying that yeah, the emulator may be packaged with it if you don't have a rom/system emulator on the machine previously.
If that is the case, the emulator then goes into hiding apart from the ROM, and can't be deleted on its own or copied to the SD card.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I just moved Mario 64 from Wii's system memory to my SD card and now it doesn't show up in my Wii channels page anymore.

What gives?

I think at least for now, from what i've gathered, SD is only for swapping game saves and VC games in and out of the internal memory.
You can't save in-game directly to the SD card either right? I think you should be able to save directly to the SD cards in a future update, but i'd imagine they're hesitant to let you play VC games from the card because they'd likely require a much faster speed than the SD cards offer (which is variable of course)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Does the grouping or categorising channels/vc games work? I dont want one channel for each game. Stupidity :lol

sammy

--- damn VC games look great at pro-scan on my crt!! ----- i want more N64 games, i can actually see Mario without any eye-strain.

i love how Sonic (all older 8 - 16 bit genearation) stuff bookmarks your progress as a save when you go back to the main menue.

------- though, they really need to front an update that changes the aspect ration automatically - i have to adjust my screen options on my TV every game.

EDIT: though if i had to chose between tacked-on black side-bars, or full resolution (and it being up to me to switch aspect-ration) ---- I'll take the full resolution any day, Mario64 just looks too damn crisp for fake black side-bars.

ethelred

So much for everyone who had been saying "The list is fine because they'll add more games today!" It's Monday -- no update.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ethelred said:
So much for everyone who had been saying "The list is fine because they'll add more games today!" It's Monday -- no update.
it's the day after launch. I can't see how anyone realistically assumed there would be updates to VC today.

Bandicoot

Can someone with the Wii Classic pad confirm if the shoulder buttons are analog or digital? I think soundwave05 mentioned they were analog with digital click, then on gamespy i'm reading they feel like SNES buttons! They also mention the clip on the back here too - but he doesn't know what it's for.... does it not have it in the manual? Can someone check please! And finally, anyone tried playing some cube games with one?!

The shoulder buttons are analog with a button press at the end. Similar to the gamecube. The two smaller shoulder buttons (z1 and z2) are straight digital. I have no idea what the attachment points on the back are for.

I have not played any Gamecube games with it yet. I was planning to try out Zelda Collectors edition with it though. Would be great if it worked for A Link to the Past. As a sidenote, the analog sticks on the classic controller also control the pointer on screen for the Wii home menu. Pretty slick to think ahead about this Nintendo. That way we dont have to put down the controller and pick up the wiimote just to get access to the manuals etc.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
i really cant believe how much some of you are complaining. Its launch. Give it a month.

CHIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

jarrod

Banned
The launch is rather thin though... out of everything I only bought Mario 64 and Zelda. I haven't bought these games since... eh... 2004. :/

i thought the attachment points were for strapping a wiimote to the back of the controller to give you rumble. thought i'd even seen pictures of it.

Glass Joe

a couple comments and questions, sorry if this has been covered:

i have no aspect issues with VC (i've only d/l super mario 64). or at least, my aspect ratio issue is an understandable one: i simply have to toggle the widescreen option on my tv itself.

aren't games supposed to have manuals, artwork, and whatnot included? i've seen pictures of that stuff for mario bros., but in my brief searches in game for Mario 64, i've had no luck.

also, i'm pretty sure the answer to this question is no due to PC software being involved, but by any chance can i plug my USB dongle (official Nintendo brand) INTO THE WII itself? not a big deal, but it would solve the issue of always having to keep my PC on when playing.

edit:

forgot to mention, hence the edit:

in the literature when you're browsing the wii channels, they talk about possible enhancements to VC games being available. they're vague about it, but i'm really hoping that it may include network code for multiplay online. i've noticed a general lack of 2-player content, which makes me hopeful... they also mention that if they update a game, you can redownload it for free... might just be to patch a glitch, but hopefully some games will offer optional wii-enchancements or better yet... NETWORK PLAY!

agent069

Banned
Where are the impressions of the classic controller? How is the d-pad, the sticks, is the wire annoying?

As for Tetrisphere, I'd really like t see a DS version, puzzle-game ftw!

Glass Joe

agent069 said:
Where are the impressions of the classic controller? How is the d-pad, the sticks, is the wire annoying?

i bought it at launch, mainly fearing shortage issues (i was lucky to score a second controller and nunchuck as well). honestly, i think it feels kind of cheap. it's a little too light, and a step backward in comfort level compared to the GC controller. i didn't find the analog sticks to be as precise or comfortable either. the button layout is superior, but the L and R buttons feel soggy/not precise enough. and there's an unnamed button in the top middle that i cannot imagine a use for?

i'm also not sure if the classic controller has rumble or not (i'm actually thinking not, but i guess we'd have to wait for a game to be released via VC that uses the feature).

it's by no means unusable, though. the dpad is normal sized and nice -- i can picture myself playing Street Fighter II and adjusting nicely to this thing. it's a little nicer overall to the Super NES controller... a little bigger, and more form fitting. but definitely not perfect.

on a side note, a really nice touch: Super Mario 64 does NOT require it... they let you use a Gamecube controller... i found that really cool since i figured Nintendo would be money grabbing bastards about it.

Amir0x said:
Yeah anyone who thinks this is better than XBLA - especially since it now has tons of content, 95% with additional content added to the original titles - either doesn't own or know anything about a 360, is bullshitting, or is one of those.

err....not that I think the list is sufficient(it really is dissapointing), but the 360 has had an entire year to build up its library.

Not really a fair comparison IMO...

jgkspsx

Thoughts on the classic controller:
The Dpad seems a little big and clunky (and maybe a little too soft). I'm used to the Micro Dpad now, heh. Good feel to the face buttons. I like the sharp articulation of the analog stick boundaries (makes it much easier to use as a Dpad replacement -- PSP should have done the nub that way!). I like the feel of the analog sticks marginally better than the GC controller (though maybe it's just that it's new). I don't like the shoulder button positioning (L/R and the Z buttons). The convex bottom of the controller is weird. I think it would be the perfect weight with the Wiimote attached.
and there's an unnamed button in the top middle that i cannot imagine a use for?
It's not a button. That is used to lock the wiimote holder (or whatever) to the back of the controller. Look at the back of the controller when you press it.
i'm also not sure if the classic controller has rumble or not
Nope.

You can use GC controllers with all VC games, right? Too bad they didn't enable rumble that way.

Deku

Banned
OK, just clarify something for me.

Can VC saves be backed up on a SD card Y/N

If Y can the games be executed straight from the SD card or will it have to be moved back to the internal memory?

And IMHO, the launch VC list is indeed lucklustre, but since GAF has conclusively proven buying hardware at launch is akin to buying 'a promise / potential' I'll give this service at least a year before rendering judgement. New VC exclusive content and third party content (Square-Enix games in particular) are probably the two things that will make or break this service for me. The Nintendo classics I've played a hundred times in various formats and I'm not too interested in them, save for a few games.

Christopher said:
Guys does it take debit card? My dad took away my credit card for November-December :(

it only supports Visa/Mastercard, so a strict debit card (they still make those?) won't work. A checkcard should work though (debit card with Visa/Mastercard logo)

and to the person above that wanted to connect wirelessly with his Wii while the PC is off...just buy a wireless router, lol.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I hope all you guys who can are ready to give impressions on all the new releases every Monday. I'm pretty much covered on the Nintendo side of things, but I only got a Genesis/MD late on in its life and didn't really have a clue about games back then. Didn't follow them in magazines, my friends who had sytems were as casual as me, we basically just picked up the big name titles or ones we liked the look of based on their covers. And I know nothing about the TurboGrafx (alright, I know to get Bonk and some Castlevania CD game if it makes it), so impressions will be needed.

The launch list sucks btw (well, for me), I don't want any of those games. Hopefully the European launch will be better, I might get DKC if it makes it and Toe Jam & Earl/Ristar look promising (again though, impressions) along with Bonk.

I'm sure I'll love the VC eventually, it's just a matter of how long it'll take to get round to the games I really want.

I had hoped they'd be free, but I understand paying alittle for them. This is way too expensive though.

I would have maybe paid...
$1-$2 for NES
$2-$3 for SNES/Genesis/TurboGrafix
$5 for N64

I might have gone a little higher for some games. I'd pay a bit more for chronno trigger. I want to play Mario Bros., but I can't justify spending $5 on it.

Zelda is the only game on there I might consider, and that's just because I never played the original Zelda.

I wouldn't pay $5 for an 8 bit game that I never tried unless I knew it was awesome, and then I probably tried it. I wouldn't spend $5 on a 8 bit game that I've played before.

fresquito

Littleberu said:
Nop. It's one "temp file" for each game you played apparently.
Awesome :)

Synbios459 said:
I had hoped they'd be free, but I understand paying alittle for them. This is way too expensive though.

$1-$2 for NES
$5 for N64

I might have gone a little higher for some games. I'd pay a bit more for chronno trigger. I want to play Mario Bros., but I can't justify spending $5 on it.

Zelda is the only game on there I might consider, and that's just because I never played the original Zelda.

I wouldn't pay $5 for an 8 bit game that I never tried unless I knew it was awesome, and then I probably tried it. I wouldn't spend $5 on a 8 bit game that I've played before.
I too think they are expensive, but on the orther hand there're many 8 bit games that are worth 5, 10 and above 30$, more so than many actual games. Don't hate on old games, many of them are a blast.

Synbios459 said:

FREE?! Talk about unrealistic expectations...

$1-$2 for NES
$5 for N64

Unrealistically low, IMO. The sweet spot for me would be something like:

NES - 300pts
SNES/Genesis/TurboGrafix - 500pts
N64 - 800pts

That would mean your $20 - or my £15 - per 2000pt Wii card would mean:

6 x NES games, or;
4 x SNES games, or;
2 x N64 games

...or any combination of the three.

I think that would be a reasonable base set of charges, especially when set against previous classic re-releases. I suspect that we'll see something closer to these prices in the next 12 months, anyway - the launch prices are a little too high & I think they'll lead to a slower-than-necessary take-up of the service.

Downloaded Super Mario 64, looks very nice in 480p on my HDTV considering it's age, Wavebird works great with it. Just have to set my TV to 4:3 to get the right aspect ratio.

Top Bottom