• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Somnia

So I am assuming this will be like XBLA where if I delete say Mario 64 then decide to redownload it a year later its linked to my account and it just downloads for free correct?

fresquito

Somnia said:
So I am assuming this will be like XBLA where if I delete say Mario 64 then decide to redownload it a year later its linked to my account and it just downloads for free correct?
From what I know, yep, it's that way.

psy18

OK, just hours from launch and we get :

-Firmware update (SD card management)
-Virtual Console with gimped aspect ratio (They can do it right with games but not VC :lol )
-11 retro VC games (some are overpriced imo)
-No opera browser :)lol )

::yawn::

jgkspsx

So... no Super Mario Bros this year? Isn't that, like, the #1 selling point of the VC to lapsed gamers?

What a weird (crappy) list.

Fowler

watership said:
Butting into this convo to offer info!

XBLA Lauch titles:

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Joust
Gauntlet
Hexic HD
Smash TV
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Bankshot Billiards 2
Zuma Deluxe
Outpost Kaloki
Robotron: 2084
Wik: The Fable of Souls

I think that's it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I'm pretty sure that Wik and a couple of others (Robotron?) were not launch XBLA titles.

EDIT: Made a correction -- Smash TV was launch, Robotron wasn't.

Cosmonaut X said:
Chris, just a couple of quick Qs:

-- Once downloaded, each game gets its own Channel, right? Can you organise these under one "SNES Channel", for example, or are you stuck with filling up the Channel grid with individual games?

-- Any noticeable improvements in terms of framerate, res etc., especially on SM64?

I second these questions.

Rlan

Anyonw have two Wiis? What happens when you transfer a file [ie; game channel] over to another Wii?

Or, has anyone put the SD card into a Computer reader afterwards?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Photos:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/18/wii-store-now-open-for-business/

wii_store_01.jpg

wii_store_02.jpg

wii_store_03.jpg

wii_store_05.jpg

wii_store_06.jpg

wii_store_07.jpg

wii_store_09.jpg

wii_store_10.jpg

wii_store_11.jpg

wii_store_12.jpg

wii_store_13.jpg

wii_store_14.jpg

wii_store_15.jpg

wii_store_16.jpg

wii_store_17.jpg

A hell of alot more at the link.

Sagitario

wii_store_21.jpg

"If you plan to transfer ownership of this console, you can't transfer Wii Points purchased or software downloaded..."

So... am I screwed if I ever sell the console (and for whatever reason I buy a another one) or if the console brakes and I get another one? I wouldn't be able to get back the games I've downloaded?

WOW. That ****** clip shows how "fast" transfering files are.

SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWW. I hope it is his SD card not the Wii itself. oh n03s!!

dyls

Has anyone thought that maybe their releasing so few at first for security purposes? I mean, the Wii uses SD cards, maybe the first non-proprietary device that Nintendo has EVER used. How long do you honestly think it waill take hackers to figure out a way to transfer games onto SD cards and copy them over, effectively making all of them free? a week?

Maybe they're testing their security measures to see how they hold up. Once they're confident that the ROMs are secure, then we'll see more games. But I wouldn't bet against no new games showing up for at least a little while.

SuperPac

Farore said:
"If you plan to transfer ownership of this console, you can't transfer Wii Points purchased or software downloaded..."

So... am I screwed if I ever sell the console (and for whatever reason I buy a another one) or if the console brakes and I get another one? I wouldn't be able to get back the games I've downloaded?

Well, if you linked your system to a MyNintendo profile you should be able to recover your purchases via re-linking a new system to the existing profile (since they'd have your purchase history). I dunno if that's the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Farore said:
wii_store_21.jpg

you can probably link it to your My Nintendo account, and it will keep track of the downloads there(?)

fart

Savant
Farore said:
wii_store_21.jpg

you can't transfer wii points or software downloaded to the new user. that option wipes this console of the data associated with your account. you can then take a new console and associate your account with it to obtain access to the points and data you've purchased.

g23 said:
So can mario 64 be used with the wii controller+nunchuck?
No.

As for other questions...

I don't know if Super Mario 64 has a better framerate than the N64 version: not only am I not possessed of the ability that some have to glance at a game and tell you its framerate, it has been ten years since I played Super Mario 64 and plus I don't have an N64 here.

What I can tell you is this: the sprite objects looked way way better than I remember. Still jaggy as hell, but the borders are much cleaner and rounder, as if some kinda... something... filter... something is being run on them. Or else I'm remembering 1996 wrong. I honestly do not know.

Once downloaded, each game is slapped into the Wii Menu in its own little block. As far as I can see there is no way to compress these or reshuffle them. My advice to Nintendo would be to fix this with a software upgrade and let people clean up their menu FFS.

angelsson

Kobun Heat said:
No.

I don't know if Super Mario 64 has a better framerate than the N64 version: not only am I not possessed of the ability that some have to glance at a game and tell you its framerate, it has been ten years since I played Super Mario 64 and plus I don't have an N64 here.

What I can tell you is this: the sprite objects looked way way better than I remember. Still jaggy as hell, but the borders are much cleaner and rounder, as if some kinda... something... filter... something is being run on them. Or else I'm remembering 1996 wrong. I honestly do not know.

Once downloaded, each game is slapped into the Wii Menu in its own little block. As far as I can see there is no way to compress these or reshuffle them. My advice to Nintendo would be to fix this with a software upgrade and let people clean up their menu FFS.

I remember reading an interview or something where a Nintendo rep confirmed that all VC titles were like 100% original with all slowdowns without any added functionality.

So I guess there goes 3 Player Online Coop for Secret of Mana. :/

angelsson said:
So I guess there goes 3 Player Online Coop for Secret of Mana. :/
Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha. Ha ha.

At this point I think we'd be lucky to get Mana at all. Maybe they'll release one Square Enix game every two months, starting with King's Knight, then Mystic Quest, then Robotrek...

Kobun Heat said:

FSAA X6 + AA X16 running at 120 fps CONFIRMED. THX NINTENDO

Doesn't Kobun's video of the Wii Shop Channel feature that startup thing? I think it's the thing where you see these channel-like objects with 'Wii' on them and they fade out diagonally.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Kobun Heat said:
No.

Thanks for the clarification.

Future

Dont mind the small amount of titles at launch (if "VC Mondays" is going to be worth anything they must stagger their releases since there wont be much new content), but the fact internet browsing, news, weather, etc ALL dont work is ****ing ridiculous.

First thing people want to do when they get their machines is play with all the features. They dont want to see "coming soon" shit on a system they just busted their asses to get due to shortages, holiday season, etc. If it's not ready, why even have it there. Just add it in a future update

Nintendo's philosphy seems to be that the majority of people dont care about anything but the bare minimum. They wont play online. They wont care about 16:9 issues because they wont have HDTVs. They wont care about using composite cables and so make it difficult to buy component. Etc etc. Probably right when it comes to their bottom line, but they are just punching their early adopter fans in the face everytime they do shit like this.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Rabid Wolverine said:
Virtual Console looks overpriced :(

All I want is the Old School AKI Wrestling games on VC.

Make it happen Nintendo/THQ!

The day that happens is the day I run not walk to the nearest store and buy a wii and a few classic controllers.

quest said:
The day that happens is the day I run not walk to the nearest store and buy a wii and a few classic controllers.
The day that happens is the day pigs fly. No way is WWE going to authorize that.

borghe said:
because of all the WWF stuff?
Yes, and because there are many, many wrestlers in those games who are no longer affiliated with the company, and because there are many gimmicks in those games they'd like to pretend never happened, and because they wouldn't want ugly low polygon N64 games representing their product, and and and and.

Forget it right now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kobun Heat said:
Yes, and because there are many, many wrestlers in those games who are no longer affiliated with the company, and because there are many gimmicks in those games they'd like to pretend never happened, and because they wouldn't want ugly low polygon N64 games representing their product, and and and and.

Forget it right now.

Doesn't exclude Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 though! :D

Not that we can play import games on US Wiis...goddammit...

Acosta

I would love to see N64 Sim City with Wii controls, I would pay a premium for that (or even without Wii controls). Hope it happenes, I have wanted to try that title for years (I almost buy a DD64 to try it).

Burai

shitonmychest57
Rabid Wolverine said:
That sucks.

Hopefully then they are still improving the N64 emulator for the xbox. (Lantus not Nintendo) :lol

Not much hope of that. The original author of 1964 has stopped development because of Xbox users constantly hassling him and giving him shit about not getting 0.9.9 out quick enough.

So when it was complete he released the 0.9.9 binaries for Windows back in January 2004, but didn't (and probably never will) release the source code.

Kobun Heat said:
Actually, I take that WTF back and I apply it to the fact that when you start a virtual console game from the menu, if your TV is in 16:9 mode, it defaults to a stretched-out image. And you have to manually put it back into 4:3. WTF. Lame.
To do it automatically, wouldn't it just resize games to 480x480 instead of 640x480, so they'd look right when stretched, losing clarity? Consider it "Anamorphic full-screen" if you must.

Kobun Heart said:
I didn't say it was the TV's fault, I said it was Nintendo's for not rendering VC games in a windowsd 16:9 to begin with, like XBLA does.
But 720p widescreen and 480p widescreen are quite different beasts.

Milhouse31 said:
NES games are like 15KB, SNES one 4MB max and N64 one 64MB (Conker or/and RE2) max but SM64 is like 6MB

They better be fast
Each VC download must include its own emulator. The Super Mario 64 download isn't even twice as big as the Mario Bros. download. I haven't checked via SD card to be more accurate, but it mentioned that initially there were ~2200 blocks free and SM64 takes something like 160. Over 30 megabytes for an 8 megabyte game? Over 20 MB for Mario Bros.? Either I'm doing my math something horrible, or the flash RAM is going to fill up much, much, much faster than I anticipated.

Top Bottom