• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

NintendoGal said:
Also with this update is the ability to put your saves onto your SD card. You can also store your virtual console games on SD too.

I love the fact when you do this, it dumps it into a folder called "private."

So they've started updating the system already, then? That's a promising sign - and great to hear that saves & VC games can be dumped onto removeable media. That means I should be able to archive my savegames and VC games quite handily, which is something I'd been a little concerned about.

ethelred

omg rite said:
.. It's launch day, you over exaggerating silly goose.

Yes, and you should have a pretty good lineup on launch day in terms of number of games and diversity of titles -- to help serve as an added incentive to pick up the system. Virtual Console has long been one of the most heavily promoted aspects of the Wii, one of the selling points I've always been most interested in, and we get Mario, Mario, Zelda, Soccer, Sonic, and Pinball. I'm sorry, but that is horrible.

omg rite said:
XBLA in no way DESTROYS this list. Live Arcade has been out for a YEAR. This will be Nintendo's DAY ONE LINEUP, with more to follow every Monday apparently.

Microsoft has trouble getting out ONE game per Wednesday.

Yeah, well, I guess we'll see how well Nintendo does getting games out every Monday. So far they've had to eliminate online gaming from the system for launch (and apparently no online games even through the first quarter of 2007), dropped the channels from launch that they showed off less than two months ago, and have seen the Virtual Console launch list slashed from what they originally promised.

Random question: Is it possible to use the Wii remote pointer to play Sim City? There should be an icon for it where you purchase the game if that's the case.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
The promise of XBLA destroys Virtual Console.

The current line up of XBLA does crap on this current VC line up.

The implementation of XBLA has been a joke so far and it's hard to imagine Nintendo being worse, so likely VC Mondays will blow away XBLA Wednesdays.

Another random question:

Can you download demos of the games (ie: timed demos) before you purchase them like XBLA or do you have to buy before you try?

E-phonk

Banned
It has the snes version of sim city - how can anyone complain about a list like that (/hugs his snes cartridge of sim city)

Cosmonaut X said:
So they've started updating the system already, then? That's a promising sign - and great to hear that saves & VC games can be dumped onto removeable media. That means I should be able to archive my savegames and VC games quite handily, which is something I'd been a little concerned about.

Well who knows if they'll keep doing this for more added functionality. The manual stated that you could transfer saves in the first place, so this was supposed to be available from the get go in theory.

Is it sin to have desire of old classic games with support for new tvs? What **** is wrong with all these re-release of old games?

maharg

idspispopd
The only thing that would make SimCity SNES better would be if it was hacked up to use the wiimote for a controller. Always pissed me off that it wasn't able to use the mouse from Mario Paint back in the day.

AntMurda

The Virtual Console won't just be retroactive. Nintendo will release original titles and special remakes through the same network.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ethelred said:
and have seen the Virtual Console launch list slashed from what they originally promised.

They never said what games would be available on DAY ONE. The lists that came out were launch period, not launch day.

So how much do the VC games cost again?

Damn I love Altered Beast, know it's old and played to death, but yeah it gives me that special nostalgia feeling..

Amir0x

Banned
Aika'svyse said:

Damn I love Altered Beast, know it's old and played to death, but yeah it gives me that special nostalgia feeling..

500 points for NES titles ($5), 600 points for Turbografx16 titles ($6), 800 points for SNES and Genesis titles ($8), and 1000 points for N64 titles ($10)

ethelred said:
No, it really doesn't. XBLA destroys this horrifically shitty list. This is a tremendous failure to deliver on the promise of the Virtual Console, and I cannot believe Nintendo is launching like this.

I don't expect them to have the entire catalogue available at launch, but jesus christ, this is a shitty list.

I like the setup, I'm fine with using the Virtual Console to bolster slow periods software-wise, but they really, really, really needed more games at launch. Like, 40 or so. This is a pathetic lineup.

Just out of curiosity since you seem to be an expert on this, what exactly was the XBLA launch list again?

Chris --

Any chance you could answer these questions?

Cosmonaut X said:
Chris, just a couple of quick Qs:

-- Once downloaded, each game gets its own Channel, right? Can you organise these under one "SNES Channel", for example, or are you stuck with filling up the Channel grid with individual games?

-- What does the "More Details" button on each VC title listing link to?

-- Any noticeable improvements in terms of framerate, res etc., especially on SM64?

...plus:

-- Is there any "Save State" function in the games, or do you have to use whatever save/pass functionality the original carts had?

ethelred

Fatghost said:

The implementation of XBLA has been a joke so far and it's hard to imagine Nintendo being worse, so likely VC Mondays will blow away XBLA Wednesdays.

No, I think the promise, the potential, of the Virtual Console is definitely superior to Xbox Live Arcade (in most regards; they're not directly comparable services, and there are certain ways that there's much, much more potential in XBLA).

That's partly why it's so disappointing to see so little delivered for the service's launch -- because it'd be so, so damned easy to get a nice, representative list of super high quality N64, TG16 (where the hell is it on here?), Genesis, SNES, and NES games online and ready to download at launch. And that'd make the system way, way more enticing as a launch buy.

Like I said, I'm happy with the setup, that of gradually adding games every week. But the only way that can be really effective is if you start with a good sized list at launch and then add stuff from there. If you start from a tiny list and then add on a weekly basis, it'll take forever to make the potential depth and breadth of the console's catalog become available.

Christberg said:
Just out of curiosity since you seem to be an expert on this, what exactly was the XBLA launch list again?

I don't know. I don't see the relevance. XBLA is more focused on new stuff than the Virtual Console is, so it's fine to have fewer games there. They're essentially just making (potentially) really high quality emulation available here on VC, so there's no reason to have a lot more games available from the start.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They would have to put 480p in the options menu because the majority of people buying Wii probably don't have a TV that supports it.

I want:

Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
And if they have 4-player with no slowdown... Mario Kart 64.

Now that we've seen the service, I guess we can probably give up on that dream of seeing every obscure Japanese game getting a translated VC release. Not going to happen. Nintendo will not put in that kind of effort.

maharg said:
Always pissed me off that it wasn't able to use the mouse from Mario Paint back in the day.

You know, I was pretty sure that you could use the mouse. That's why I asked the question in the first place. Seems like my memory is playing tricks on me.

SuperPac

Cosmonaut X said:
-- What does the "More Details" button on each VC title listing link to?

A description of the game plus two screenshots (different than the one on the first page).

-- Is there any "Save State" function in the games, or do you have to use whatever save/pass functionality the original carts had?

It's automatic. You hit the Home button and quit out to the Wii menu and it's saved from that point.

GhostSeed

Aika'svyse said:

Like Amir0x said they're $8 but if you have a PS2 just buy the Sega Genesis Collection.
That collection has a unlockable version of the arcade Altered Beast. :)

Amir0x

Banned
GhostSeed said:
Like Amir0x said they're $8 so if you have a PS2 just buy the Sega Genesis Collection.
That collection has a unlockable version of the arcade Altered Beast. :)

And in case you need reminding

Genesis Collection - $20
All the games available in Genesis Collection, if purchased individually through VC - $245

hmmm, something wrong with my Wii...it's stuck on the "Updating" page and hasn't timed out like before....i better not have a bricked system :(

ethelred

Amir0x said:
And in case you need reminding

Genesis Collection - $20
All the games available in Genesis Collection, if purchased individually through VC - $245

The PSP Genesis Collection I bought today is 29$. :/

SuperPac said:
A description of the game plus two screenshots (different than the one on the first page).

It's automatic. You hit the Home button and quit out to the Wii menu and it's saved from that point.

Cheers for that. So there is some basic save state functionality, but it sounds like it might be a bit hard to manage unless you can quit to the main menu WITHOUT saving.

Sure, but you have to give me some time to find the answers.

Heh - sorry, patience was never one of my virtues ;-)

Tain

VC should have a huge list. It's the whole point of not being like XBLA. Anything less than a huge amount of games is pretty worthless.

Amir0x said:
500 points for NES titles ($5), 600 points for Turbografx16 titles ($6), 800 points for SNES and Genesis titles ($8), and 1000 points for N64 titles ($10)
Wow was hoping for quite a bit less :(

NintendoGal said:
Also with this update is the ability to put your saves onto your SD card. You can also store your virtual console games on SD too.

I love the fact when you do this, it dumps it into a folder called "private."

To the tune of an old song:
The hackers come marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah....

ethelred

Amir0x said:
why did you buy it on PSP! (but still, $29 vs. $245 is a good comparrison anyway)

Portability, man. You have no idea how long I've wanted a good portable version of Phantasy Star IV.

Johnny

So Nintendo's going to tease us by releasing a few games at a time? All it takes is a ROM dump, at least for 1st party stuff.

ethelred said:
I don't know. I don't see the relevance. XBLA is more focused on new stuff than the Virtual Console is, so it's fine to have fewer games there. They're essentially just making (potentially) really high quality emulation available here on VC, so there's no reason to have a lot more games available from the start.

Let's compare apples to apples as close as possible. No shit XBLA is better. It's had a year to mature. I don't really know what the list was at launch, but I seem to recall it being... not that hot.

I agree with anybody that says it's too expensive and would like to see more games there at launch, but I thinking saying that "XBLA destroys it in every conceivable way" is just plain silly since the system hasn't even launched yet and won't for another... 8 or so hours? Gunstar Heroes, Sim City, FZero, and Mario 64 is a pretty decent start if you ask me.

I understand Nintendo not just releasing all their guns at once since the damn thing is probably going to be overloaded by tomorrow morning as is. Plus it just makes sense to do shit like release Super Metroid the same day as Prime 3.

Cosmonaut X said:
Chris --

Any chance you could answer these questions?

...plus:

I can answer one of those right now:

-- Any noticeable improvements in terms of framerate, res etc., especially on SM64?

I did download SM64 but have not played it really yet, but from the other game I played (Sonic), there was a bit of a slow down where it was in the original iirc.. Like on Green Hill 3, when you're going over that log with the spikes, when I hit one of the spikes it slowed it down a bit then kept going.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Portability, man. You have no idea how long I've wanted a good portable version of Phantasy Star IV.

yeah i admit it's much more attractive to me on the go BUT i'm not going to spend an extra $10 dollars for it on principle.

Tain said:
I'm sure the DRM here will take some time, if it ever happens.
True, but I don't doubt that it will happen. Hopefully it'll allow some good homebrew.

(I'm in favour of proper homebrew stuff, just not pirating).

JonathanEx said:
To the tune of an old song:
The hackers come marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah....

...hopefully not. If anything is guaranteed to **** the VC up - and destroy the possibility of translations of games not released in certain regions - it's going to be having the protection ripped off so that people can just dump pirated ROMs on to an SD card.

watership

Christberg said:

Butting into this convo to offer info!

XBLA Lauch titles:

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Joust
Gauntlet
Hexic HD
Smash TV
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Bankshot Billiards 2
Zuma Deluxe
Outpost Kaloki
Robotron: 2084
Wik: The Fable of Souls

I think that's it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Avalon

I don't think we will see any kind of frame-rate improvement.

Considering it doesn't look like Nintendo is going to go through the trouble of adding things like 6:9 ratio, they certainly aren't going to re-adjust games to use more powerful hardware. I suspect their emulation is much like PC emulation. So we can expect emulated frame-rate drops.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
yeah i admit it's much more attractive to me on the go BUT i'm not going to spend an extra $10 dollars for it on principle.

That's exactly what I said when the higher price was announced. Oh, look at that, portability just beat principles! I'm a sell-out, and I'm okay with that.

Christberg said:
Let's compare apples to apples as close as possible. No shit XBLA is better. It's had a year to mature. I don't really know what the list was at launch, but I seem to recall it being... not that hot.

I agree with anybody that says it's too expensive and would like to see more games there at launch, but I thinking saying that "XBLA destroys it in every conceivable way" is just plain silly

Please note: I didn't bring up XBLA. I responded when someone else had to say that this horrible list is in some way better than anything related to XBLA. It's not. The statement demanded refutation.

I already said that I think the potential for VC is overall stronger than the potential for XBLA, but more of that (much, much more) needed to be there at launch -- and given the requirements for doing so, there's no excuse for it not to be. Except, again, someone dropping the ball.

Christberg said:
since the system hasn't even launched yet and won't for another... 8 or so hours? Gunstar Heroes, Sim City, FZero, and Mario 64 is a pretty decent start if you ask me.

But Gunstar Heroes isn't even there yet. I mean, we're theorizing it will be there on Monday, and great if it is, but after having my hopes of getting a bunch of games to download for the VC on launch day dashed (I would've loved nothing more than to download dozens of old retro classics, fulfilling the promise of the VC), Gunstar Heroes was the last thing left that I wanted. Not being able to download it on the same day I take my Wii home is a blow.

Christberg said:
I understand Nintendo not just releasing all their guns at once since the damn thing is probably going to be overloaded by tomorrow morning as is. Plus it just makes sense to do shit like release Super Metroid the same day as Prime 3.

Really? I don't think that makes sense at all. Wouldn't it make more sense to release Super Metroid at a time when people would've liked to have had Metroid Prime 3 but can't get it because it was delayed? I mean, the Nintendo hardcore talks about games cannibalizing sales all the time here -- releasing MP3 and Super Metroid on VC on the same day wouldn't accomplish that?

And I'm not asking for all their guns to be released. I am... or was, rather... asking for a decently sized catalog of available games, and for a tiny bit of depth and breadth and variety to the list. Neither of these things are being delivered, so of course I'm going to feel disappointed by that. And I can't defend a list where we're seeing two Mario games, Sonic, and NES Soccer.

jarosh

Kobun Heat said:
JAROSH LET ME GO AHEAD AND WHIP OUT MY FORIEGN CREDIT CARD AND TRY

OH WAIT
I ASSUME YOU HAVE TO SELECT THE COUNTRY OF YOUR CREDIT CARD ADDRESS AT SOME POINT. IS USA THE ONLY OPTION?

- YES
- NO

THAT'S ALL I WANT TO KNOW

maharg said:
The only thing that would make SimCity SNES better would be if it was hacked up to use the wiimote for a controller. Always pissed me off that it wasn't able to use the mouse from Mario Paint back in the day.

didn't mario paint and the mouse come out way after sim city released?

I think Sim City was a launch title in the US for the SNES, and Mario Paint was like a year later.

ethelred said:
That's exactly what I said when the higher price was announced. Oh, look at that, portability just beat principles! I'm a sell-out, and I'm okay with that. (snipped for length)

We're pretty much agreeing then, you're just more disappointed with what's there than I am. I can respect that.

I'd rather see at least 30-40 good titles on launch day for $1 apiece. Since it's $5 and up one or two that interest me is good enough, and I'm getting 3 so I don't really have an issue with that.

I don;t think releasing Super Metroid around the same time as Prime 3 would cannibalize much. I've been wrong before, though. Personally I'd buy 'em both if they did that and would actually appreciate it a bit.

Top Bottom