• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

AniHawk

ruby_onix said:
If we get 52 VC games a year for the next five years, then the freaking N64 will have had more support than the Virtual Console.

...No?

The N64 had less than 200 games, I thought.

xsarien said:
Come now, you expect Nintendo to just put everything up in one shot? A release schedule gives focus to a core group of games every month instead of all of them vying for attention.
A release schedule is one thing; this Dirty Dozen is ridiculous.

If Japan gets all fifty of their games on launch day,... well, today's lineup throws that into serious doubt, but if it actually takes place it would make this look somehow even worse.

ant1532

Banned
Thanks bro, Kobun with another scoop again!

And one thing
Can you take screenshots and send them through the message board channel?

They said you can in the Iwata Asks interview and that would be nice since im competing with my friends in Zelda

ethelred

Littleberu said:
They didn't say "1 game per week", they said they would release new games on Mondays. Totally different.

-only 11 VC games at launch
-1st quarter consists of Mario Party 8, Wii Play, and Wario Ware
-no Opera browser until next year
-only one of their promised Wii Channels this year
-no online gaming until at least the 2nd quarter of next year
-no TG16 games on the launch day list, and no Gunstar Heroes

And people still have the gall to correct others when they imply less than full confidence that we'll be seeing dozens of new games each week?

Cheerilee

AniHawk said:
...No?

The N64 had less than 200 games, I thought.
I counted just under 300 on NOA's "Master Game List" on nintendo.com.

And yes, 52 would be the absolute minimum of what they've said, but still...

So is it safe to say that the VC Genesis Games are the Biggest Rip-Off's of the year?

$8 per game on the Wii

VS.

Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 - $19.99. 30+ Games

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ethelred said:
-no Wii Channels until next year

And people still have the gall to correct others when they imply less than full confidence that we'll be seeing dozens of new games each week?

Does the photo channel not count as a wii channel anymore? December 20th is next year?

And yeah it's still pretty ridiculous to think that they will release 1 game a week or something.

jarosh

ethelred said:

seems like this post works here too

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
ethelred said:

According to http://wii.nintendo.com/wiimenu.jsp

Forecast Channel - DEC20 (Not at launch, but at least it's still this year)
News Channel - JAN27 :-/
Internet Channel - Coming Soon (lol)

As for the VC list, I'd wait until at least tomorrow when it's officially out before commenting.

ethelred said:

I think Nintendo are just being smart. To be honest, I would've loved to play Super Metroid this Christmas. But there's also the fact that I'll be all over Zelda these coming weeks.

I know it would have been better to have 300 VC Games on Launch, the Weather and the News Channel (who is gonna use that, anyway), but, comon, it's not like they're giving you fresh baked vomit right there.

ant1532 said:
And one thing
Can you take screenshots and send them through the message board channel?

They said you can in the Iwata Asks interview and that would be nice since im competing with my friends in Zelda
I haven't seen any option to do that, but maybe I'm missing something?

Tempy said:
As for the VC list, I'd wait until at least tomorrow when it's officially out before commenting.
Well... it's officially out. I mean, they launch in like seven hours. Nothing's going to change between now and then. They said 12 VC games for launch, and there are 12 games online.

Dr. Jade

I was quietly hoping Nintendo would even out the initial VC games per console ... like 3 NES games, 3 SNES games, 3 Genesis games, and 3 N64 games ... obviously the reason that most are NES games is because Nintendo knows everyone is waiting for the SNES and N64 primarily. So in order to milk the NES, have them stand alone for a while.

LM4sure said:
So there will be more vc games available on Monday??! And every Monday forever?!?!?

There should be new games every monday, yes. Before the end of the year they said there will be around 30 games. Here's the list from wii.nintendo.com

Altered Beast
Baseball
Bomberman '93
Bonk's Adventure
Columns
Donkey Kong
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
Dungeon Explorer
Ecco the Dolphin
F-Zero
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Ice Hockey
Mario Bros.
Pinball
Ristar
Sim City
Soccer
Sonic the Hedgehog
Solomon’s Key
Space Harrier II
Super Mario 64
Super Star Soldier
The Legend of Zelda
Tennis
Toe Jam & Earl
Urban Champion
Victory Run
Wario’s Woods

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
elostyle said:
I'm reaaaaaaally curious how N64 games look.
as I understand it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), they are using the Zelda Master Quest emulator, meaning we should get higher res and better filtering.

I am just hoping they release a fix for 16:9 TVs.. not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have a built in aspect ratio adjustment instead of having to change it on my TV.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
With the huge amount of games they could release for VC, it's underwhelming. No matter what they promised really. They should've given us a rich list of games from the start, as to show people that VC is something really cool and worthwhile. The current list isn't very exciting.

But I do think they're smart by not releasing all the games at the same time, obviously. At least, smart from their perspective. It's weird how a "release date" for an old game can manage to build up a certain kind of hype, because that's what I think will happen when people get their nostalgia rolling.
Also, as others in this thread already have pointed out, it works as filler content during dry release periods.
As I said before though, the best for us would probably be to get all the games at the same time. It would kill the "hype" for upcoming VC games though, which would probably be for the best when all is said and done. :)

How many blocks was Zelda? This video shows Donkey Kong as 91 blocks - now i'm not sure how much of the 512Mb flash memory is taken up by the OS or other channels.. but considering you start with 2156 blocks, that seems like an awful lot of blocks for a ROM that a google search revealed to be ~28KB!

Maybe these questions can't be answered yet, but what is the purpose of entering the region? Does it determine which set of VC games you get, or anything else to do with online stuff, can it be changed, and can you enter a region that you aren't really in?

jvalioli

the androgyne said:
How many blocks was Zelda? This video shows Donkey Kong as 91 blocks - now i'm not sure how much of the 512Mb flash memory is taken up by the OS or other channels.. but considering you start with 2156 blocks, that seems like an awful lot of blocks for a ROM that a google search revealed to be ~28KB!
Donkey Kong is 19, and I believe it is that much because it is an entire channel by itself. The Trauma Center save that kozaku has is only 2 blocks.

ivysaur12

Banned
ethelred said:
-only one of their promised Wii Channels this year

The only annouced games thus far are Mario Party 8, Wii Play and Wario Ware. I'm sure there will be more.

the androgyne said:

Well, the Joystiq VC vid shows that each game comes with its own manual, so that would account for a bit of the extra space, and as we don't actually know how these games are being emulated - is there an emulator built in, or downloaded with each game? - then a bundled emulator could easily account for the rest.

jvalioli said:
Donkey Kong is 19, and I believe it is that much because it is an entire channel by itself. The Trauma Center save that kozaku has is only 2 blocks.

I'm not talking about the game saves, i'm talking about the VC downloads. The video i linked clearly shows Donkey Kong was 91 blocks. It's possible since this was his first VC download, that it included the NES emulator in that package though, cause yes there's another video where he's transferring the DK ROM to an SD card and it says it's 19 blocks. (here)

The SD copying process is incredibly slow in the above video.. have you tried this Kobun?
And the shopping channel for this guy is slooow too (Kobun's was nice and quick, probably connection issues).

Jiggy

As someone for whom the Virtual Console is the Wii's number one selling point outside of SSBB, this list really just seems abysmal. I actually do agree with the notion of releasing them in bunches week by week, because frankly if I was facing a list of 150 games on day one I'd wind up in the Buridan paradox situation and just not get anything, but this is going too far in the other direction. It's almost like they intentionally picked the worst conceivable launch lineup, and the only possible justification I can think of for such is that they don't want to take attention away from Wii games with far superior classic titles--which sucks as far as I'm concerned, about as much as it sucks that TP Wii doesn't allow GC controller use, and for precisely the same reason.

Kobun Heat said:
* Altered Beast (GEN).
why? Altered Beast? sure it was a NA launch title that was packed in every year 1 Genesis.. but god!! it's not a good game, bring the rage into the streets with STreets Of Rage 1,2,3 instead

xsarien

daedsiluap
gutter_trash said:
why? Altered Beast? sure it was a NA launch title that was packed in every year 1 Genesis.. but god!! it's not a good game, bring the rage into the streets with STreets Of Rage 1,2,3 instead

It's not a BAD game. The only mean thing I have to say about the Genesis version is that you can probably beat it in the time it takes to heat up some leftover Chinese.

brocke

Banned
What happens when you reach the 500 mb flash drive limit? do you have to redownload every time you want to play a new game?

xsarien

daedsiluap
brocke said:
What happens when you reach the 500 mb flash drive limit? do you have to redownload every time you want to play a new game?

It will probably tell you that you don't have enough space.

NotWii

Banned
Can someone capture the NEW Wii boot up sequence that was added with the firmware?
I'm more interested in that than Virtual Console.

Nobody notice that these games are mostly games released around the launch of their respective consoles? There's a couple of exceptions, but by and large that's what they are.

ethelred said:
Your Wii explodes.

No, it explodes.

shit, how did nintendo not foresee this technical flaw?

unless they wanted to leave it there because they're in league with... terrirsts!

fresquito

While I agree the list is pretty disappointing, although having Mario 64 there is a nice thing. Probably I'll be getting it someday. I'd get Zelda if I didn't already have it on the Collector's Edition.

That noted, well, I think everyone is overreacting a bit by the lineup. Come on people, I'm not pouring 250€ to play VC games, I'm pouring it to play Zelda, Wii Sports and the like. Once I'm done with those, which should take a while, I'm pretty sure I will find some interesting download. I don't need them on launch day, since I'll be all over Zelda.

I really hope they increase dramatically the number of games they're offering each week.

My biggest complaint still is the price. I'd like added fatures like online play and silky framerates too.

xsarien said:
It's not a BAD game. The only mean thing I have to say about the Genesis version is that you can probably beat it in the time it takes to heat up some leftover Chinese.

i beat the game inside a Video Rental store

yes, this was the highlight of my poor youth, I would head over to the video stores and retail stores and beat Genesis games there.

I beat Altered Beast at the store
I beat Moonwalker at the store
I got to the 3rd level of Ghouls N Ghosts (too hard to fiish in the store)

The launch lineup is a bit skimpy but that will be corrected in time. My main issue is the price. $5 for a NES rom? Eh, that's too much. They won't reduce it because there are tons of people out there who will pay that though so oh well.

Top Bottom