• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Dolphin

Banned
re: Pokemon. This is something that has been bothering me about the game, and about the Wii in general. If these are real shots, they are truly indicative of Wii's next-gen potential from a graphical standpoint. However, it's my understanding that the game has very little motion sensing. Is it possible that the more a game has motion sensing, the more crippled its graphics become? I'd be very curious if this connection existed.
I doubt it. It's more likely that the more a developer focuses on the control the less they tend to focus on graphics, at that's what the trend with the Wii has been anyway.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Xristot said:
I think what matters too is how good the level design is. It can really make or break the game. It needs clever puzzles that will really surprise and reward.

I for one can't wait for this game. The combination of awesome and unique gameplay with the connect 24 features (which more games need to take advantage of) really make it a must buy in my book.

That take/send a screenshot feature is needed in EVERY game BTW.

I think your point about level design is entirely true. I suppose control wouldn't even matter if the levels didn't deliver.

And agreed about the screenie feature, as long as GameSpot doesn't use it to deliver purposefully disgraceful shots. ;)

woxel1 said:
re: Pokemon. This is something that has been bothering me about the game, and about the Wii in general. If these are real shots, they are truly indicative of Wii's next-gen potential from a graphical standpoint. However, it's my understanding that the game has very little motion sensing. Is it possible that the more a game has motion sensing, the more crippled its graphics become? I'd be very curious if this connection existed.
But it does use the DS-Wii wireless connectivity, so that's likely why there is no motion sensing. Regardless, I don't think the graphics are suffering due to more focus on controls, I think they're suffering because we're getting some lazy game and engine ports.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AndoCalrissian said:
Oh dear, no. No no no no no. Get with it Ubisoft, that is disgraceful.

I'd be willing to bet that that is the PS2-ported version.

I'm not certain that Ubisoft is taking their vaunted status of supporting the Wii the most very seriously. They put out enough shit and nobody will buy it. Their best two games for the Wii are Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabids, and those have been met with average reviews. The rest have generally looked like shit. COD3 looked pretty good, though...

C'mon Ubisoft. You have two originals and a bunch of ports, and a couple below-average last-gen shovelware titles. Get with it.

Bert

woxel1 said:

Surely any graphical calculations would be taken care of by the GPU and and input/physics calculations would be the CPU? I'd guess that more motion sensing stuff would mean less CPU time for physics, but shouldn't affect the graphics. Can someone with more than a passing knowledge of console hardware clear this up?

EDIT: Re: Elebits, this is one of my more anticipated games for the Wii, but I know very little about it. I think the graphics look fine, but I want to know what the actual game involves. Are you just hunting for elebits or is there a puzzle element as well? What's with being able to buy items and elebits? Can anyone link me to an overview of the gameplay?

2nd Edit: OK just read the IGN hands on, seems there is a little more than just hide and seek. But they mention that the physics is pretty poor, I wonder if that is due to the amount of motion control in the game. Would be good if a developer or someone could give us some info on this as I'd have thought that games with more motion control would benefit from better physics on the whole.

Xristot

Bert said:
Surely any graphical calculations would be taken care of by the GPU and and input/physics calculations would be the CPU? I'd guess that more motion sensing stuff would mean less CPU time for physics, but shouldn't affect the graphics. Can someone with more than a passing knowledge of console hardware clear this up?

EDIT: Re: Elebits, this is one of my more anticipated games for the Wii, but I know very little about it. I think the graphics look fine, but I want to know what the actual game involves. Are you just hunting for elebits or is there a puzzle element as well? What's with being able to buy items and elebits? Can anyone link me to an overview of the gameplay?

2nd Edit: OK just read the IGN hands on, seems there is a little more than just hide and seek. But they mention that the physics is pretty poor, I wonder if that is due to the amount of motion control in the game. Would be good if a developer or someone could give us some info on this as I'd have thought that games with more motion control would benefit from better physics on the whole.

I think that was before they got a hands on with the newer build. From what I've played everything seems to have a good sense of weight. The puzzles are pretty fun. It just remains to be seen if all the levels are as tight as the demo.

Panther, the way gamespot takes images, you would think they used a 1995 web camera.

woeds

Pokemon looks so good because they've put abuot 60% of their polygon count in the characters. The arena's aren't very complex geomotry wise, and the backgrounds aren't 3D.

3rd parties better starts stepping up their game, some of their games look terrible...Pokemon, Genius Sorority of all devs, is trouncing them in the graphics department! But that might be excused if the game is at least stylish like Heroes or Hajime no Ippo

Bert said:

The buying of parts is to create your own custom rooms and challenges, which can exchanged with friends on your Wii friends list via WiiConnect24 - which would make Elebits the first online-compatible game for the Wii in the West.

splatty

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

I won't be posting any more of these after this.

24.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

KINGMOKU

It's pretty clear to me now that some third-party devs are looking at the Wii as a cash cow of sorts by putting minimal time into the graphics, and just utilizing the wiimote so the dev cost is next to nothing.

Some games look really, really good, while others just look horrific.

Splinter Cell just looks awefull.

If those Pokemon shots are real, then I am really angry at some devs.

Even elebits looks sloppy.

moku said:
It's pretty clear to me now that some third-party devs are looking at the Wii as a cash cow of sorts by putting minimal time into the graphics, and just utilizing the wiimote so the dev cost is next to nothing.

Some games look really, really good, while others just look horrific.

Splinter Cell just looks awefull.

If those Pokemon shots are real, then I am really angry at some devs.

Even elebits looks sloppy.
Yeah, pretty much every elebits shot I see looks like it has a translucent grid of pixels laid over top of it... something funky going on with their dithering I guess.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wout said:
Pokemon looks so good because they've put abuot 60% of their polygon count in the characters. The arena's aren't very complex geomotry wise, and the backgrounds aren't 3D.

What's your point?

Here's my list of anticipated Wii games scheduled for 2007. No order.

Elebits - this may very well be the new The Haunting: Starring Polterguy. No horror theme, but there is still this midnight, everybody-else-in-the-world-is-asleep-right-now-you-insomniac-mother****er moody vibe to it, which rocks. Seems like a great game for experimenting and drinking in the atmosphere, and nothing more... like Polterguy. Enough for me to be a classic, if done right.

Super Mario Galaxy - just like everyone else.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - just like everyone else who doesn't hate FP Metroid.

No More Heroes - probably the game with the most potential from a 3rd party on Wii so far.

Fire Emblem - like everybody else.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chornicles - a RE4-style romp through the locations of the 4 numbered entries in the series? YES PLEASE! If this has the same production values as RE4, this will be incredible. INCREDIBLE!! I'm actually hoping it gets delayed to 2008 just so they can get it perfect... they CAN'T botch this game, it'd be too much of a waste.

That's about it until more stuff gets announced.

Pimpbaa

8.jpg

Ok, WTF. Could some tech head explain to me what the friggin bottleneck is in the Wii (and GC) to cause some developers to use 16-bit color?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pimpbaa said:
8.jpg

Ok, WTF. Could some tech head explain to me what the friggin bottleneck is in the Wii (and GC) to cause some developers to use 16-bit color?

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?

If you can't see the beauty of the color palette in DBZ (Wii), then you never will. Would I be going out on a limb to guess that you never owned an SNES?

vasuba

Banned
I have found DBZ Wii to be surprisingly a great game and it really does look good too but damn play it too long and it definetly starts to cause some aches with all the arm thrusts etc.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
vasuba said:
I have found DBZ Wii to be surprisingly a great game and it really does look good too but damn play it too long and it definetly starts to cause some aches with all the arm thrusts etc.

I have heard that several times.

I suggest putting wrist-weights on your arms and taking pictures of before & after (over time).

Durante

The dithering in all shots with alpha-blending is abyssmal. I'm serously considering not buying component cables for my Wii and just sticking with composite. Sure, it's blurry, but at least it hides the dithering artifacts and some of the aliasing.

Pimpbaa

PantherLotus said:

If you can't see the beauty of the color palette in DBZ (Wii), then you never will. Would I be going out on a limb to guess that you never owned an SNES?

What the hell are you smoking? I'm talking about the dithering (which is a tell tale sign of a game being rendered with a 16-bit color depth). And what does the hell does the SNES have to do with this?!

Amir0x

Banned
PantherLotus said:

Do you have no idea what Pimbaa is talking about at all? Your response is el ignorante.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh no shit. I thought he meant 16-bit color, as in 16-bit system (SNES). He was asking for an explanation from some "tech head" so I assumed he knew as little as me.

And then he busts out words like Dithering and Aliasing in relation to the Wii, so I'm not sure how that relates to 16-bit color.

Anyway, ignore me on that last one. I thought he was saying the colors sucked, and I disagreed. Carry on!

Hm. No More Heroes captures are utter shit - GameSpot bad, in fact - but it looks pretty neat. Textures are awful in places, and I'm not entirely taken with the mix of heavily stylised & real-world that's going on, but it's certainly got something. The shot from above the motel car park is pretty impressive - even with the awful. blurry cap. Another six months of dev time should see this game right, and provided the mechanics are there I'm definitely interested.

Neo Child

Banned
woxel1 said:

well, first of all those graphics arent bullshots, just seen a recent video of PBR and the graphics are pretty much exactly like that (except the effects look so much better animated) in-game. i dont really get it, some wii titles look really great (PBR, Mario Galaxy) while others look like complete shit, i actually think it depends how the developers are handling the wii dev kits and how much power they can really squeeze out of it.

Pimpbaa

PantherLotus said:
Oh no shit. I thought he meant 16-bit color, as in 16-bit system (SNES). He was asking for an explanation from some "tech head" so I assumed he knew as little as me.

And then he busts out words like Dithering and Aliasing in relation to the Wii, so I'm not sure how that relates to 16-bit color.

Anyway, ignore me on that last one. I thought he was saying the colors sucked, and I disagreed. Carry on!

You still don't know what I was talking about. 16-bit color is 65,536 colors onscreen at the same time. When games are renderered in 16-bit color, dithering often occurs to try and compensate for the lack of color (most modern games render in 32-bit color which is 16.7 million distinct colors). Also snes in no way could do 16-bit color. It was a 16-bit system yes, but it did not have a 16-bit color depth. Those are 2 completely different things.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Right. That's what I was saying--you know more than me about that and I was thinking you were talking about art style. I was wrong, you were right, carry on.

Pimpbaa

PantherLotus said:
Right. That's what I was saying--you know more than me about that and I was thinking you were talking about art style. I was wrong, you were right, carry on.

I just wish that someone who knew more than me about this issue would explain. I'm guessing that the wii sharing the same specs as the gc regarding the embedded ram in the gpu has something to do with it (2MB for framebuffer and 1MB for texture cache). In my google searching I found an ign thread where someone was claiming that zelda TP runs in 16-bit color when running at 480p but not in 480i (someone was making the same claim about eternal darkness in 480p and 480i on the GC). Not that it's gonna stop me from getting a Wii (only thing that is stopping me is that they are so damn hard to get here at the moment).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Super Swing Pangya Golf

No more shots of this game after this one. (If you're wondering why I keep saying this is because I want to keep this thread fresh, and only plan on updating the thread with unreleased games) We'll see how well that works out, huh?

And yeah, that's a bikini.

super-swing-golf-20061205055631575.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055631075.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055630528.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055630059.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055629544.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055629044.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055628528.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055627762.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055627137.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055626669.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055626184.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055625669.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055622997.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055622294.jpg

super-swing-golf-20061205055621778.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SSX Blur

Screen Captures from Video. This game looks freaking awesome.

ssxblur-1.jpg

ssxblur-2.jpg

ssxblur-3.jpg

ssxblur-4.jpg

ssxblur-5.jpg

ssxblur-6.jpg

ssxblur-7.jpg

ssxblur-8.jpg

ssxblur-9.jpg

ssxblur-10.jpg

ssxblur-11.jpg

ssxblur-12.jpg

ssxblur-13.jpg

ssxblur-14.jpg

ssxblur-15.jpg

ssxblur-16.jpg

ssxblur-17.jpg

ssxblur-18.jpg

ssxblur-19.jpg

ssxblur-20.jpg

ssxblur-21.jpg

ssxblur-22.jpg

ssxblur-23.jpg

ssxblur-24.jpg

ssxblur-25.jpg

ssxblur-26.jpg

ssxblur-27.jpg

ssxblur-28.jpg

ssxblur-29.jpg

Notes:
This post also appears in SSX Wii Thread. If you use these caps for your own sites, please be courteous and give credit to gamevideos.com, rather than slapping your own ugly logos on it, k?

Dolphin

Banned
That skybox in SSX is pretty jarring against the more cartoony look of the game. They should paint their own skyboxes, or better yet, make 3D ones.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Don't miss the first pictures from SSX Blur for the Wii, premiered at the end of the last page HERE.

Dolphin said:
That skybox in SSX is pretty jarring against the more cartoony look of the game. They should paint their own skyboxes, or better yet, make 3D ones.

what?

Top Bottom