• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: The Last of Us at least around 12-16 hours long

Mikey Jr.

Are we ever going to see multiplayer? Seems like this massive chunk that we literally know nothing about.

Kinda fuckin crazy.

Didn't they say Uncharted 3 was about that long? It took me 7 hours the first time.

As long as it's good though, length doesn't matter too much to me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tomb Raider lasted 18 hours for me to do EVERYTHING without a guide, so I'd expect around that for Last of Us if not a few hours more.

Why can't it be both? For $60 I expect quality and quantity

I think a story should only be as long as it needs to be. If you intentionally try to draw it out longer to prolong the experience, it's going to show in the final product. That's how you end up with games that drag on for too long.

Kallor

Hope its true. I'm usually not the type to play a game on hard mode at all, but I think I'll do that with this game on my first play through.

prwxv3

I think a story should only be as long as it needs to be. If you intentionally try to draw it out longer to prolong the experience, it's going to show in the final product. That's how you end up with games that drag on for too long.

Skyward Sword is a great example of this. I have no will to replay that game for a while despite the god tier dungeons.

Derrick01

Banned
I was hoping for 20 but I'll settle for 15 if it's well made. The stealth situations and AI better fucking be as good as they've been hyping it though.

StuBurns

Banned
I was hoping for 20 but I'll settle for 15 if it's well made. The stealth situations and AI better fucking be as good as they've been hyping it though.
I think this actually has the potential to be a game you might enjoy. I'm excited for you to be honest.

20? We have to be reasonable here.

I'm the type of player where it'd probably take me 20 hours anyway. Even in linear shooters I sometimes just walk around random areas looking for any little hidden easter egg or hidden path or just enjoy the scenery.

arne

These things are always SO subjective, but it'll be longer than our average game length to date. We've still got a ways to finish before we can accurate gauge the average or typical length would be - the point is, it's a pretty good length.

StuBurns

Banned
These things are always SO subjective, but it'll be longer than our average game length to date. We've still got a ways to finish before we can accurate gauge the average or typical length would be - the point is, it's a pretty good length.
How customizable will the experience be? Can we turn off items highlighting for example?

Derrick01

Banned
I think this actually has the potential to be a game you might enjoy. I'm excited for you to be honest.

Well it is 1 of the 3 games I'm looking forward to this year, not including next gen stuff right now. I'm putting a lot of hope into the AI that they've been hyping.

Mario007

Well it is 1 of the 3 games I'm looking forward to this year, not including next gen stuff right now. I'm putting a lot of hope into the AI that they've been hyping.
Would the second one be Bioshock Infinite? (I'm only asking since the 2 games seem to want to achieve the same thing when it comes to AI).

krizzx

This is terribly short and I'm not going to pretend thats an okay length for a single player game. I still remember all of the people who hated on the Last Story for only being 35 hours long.

*Those* Fans will defend anything it to death though.

I will pay no more than 15 dollars for a 15 hours game. A dollar per hour of gameplay I will get out of it. Its not worth any more than that to me. I judge my games based on enjoyment and content. Not unless it a large amount unique routes with a lot of endings.

I still fail to see just what everyone find so amazing about the Last of Us to begin with though. Beyond Two souls seems like the more interesting and unique title.

This is terribly short and I'm not going to pretend thats an okay length for a single player game. I still remember all of the people who hated on the Last Story for only being 35 hours long.

*Those* Fans will defend anything it to death though.

I will pay no more than 15 dollars for a 15 hours game. A dollar per hour of gameplay I will get out of it. Its not worth any more than that to me. I judge my games based on enjoyment and content.

Are you seriously comparing the length of an RPG to an action adventure game?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
GTA
Last of Us

Whats the other one?

Come on Andrew, it's Bioshock Infinite! Even if he's kinda badmouthing it... But he means Irrational antecedents after SS2 which was only... Bioshock 1.

Cyberia

Will post it here too then.

uQE7wnm.png

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/312868107435769856

Interview with Arne:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKGsyCcHjI

arne

Scanning the quoted part that ISN'T the interview with Neil, there's a lot of radically incorrect shit in there, as Neil mentioned in his tweet. I don't know where some of this stuff came from other than poetic license. I would take 99% of the info supposedly from the magazine (the translated part) with a massive grain of salt - in fact, only one line is true. :)

Plus what's quoted above - even to me the interview questions mostly don't sound like Neil.

Would be good to try to secure a copy of the magazine ourselves.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Scanning the quoted part that ISN'T the interview with Neil, there's a lot of radically incorrect shit in there, as Neil mentioned in his tweet. I don't know where some of this stuff came from other than poetic license. I would take 99% of the info supposedly from the magazine (the translated part) with a massive grain of salt - in fact, only one line is true. :)

What the hell is going on? ...anyway thanks arne for the clarification.

But the info about the injuries sounded great :-/

Stark

Banned

Plus what's quoted above - even to me the interview questions mostly don't sound like Neil.

Would be good to try to secure a copy of the magazine ourselves.

Thank you. Well, that clears things up at least.

StuBurns

Banned
A game should be as long as the gameplay holds out for, and the story should be expanded or reduced, or completely erased, to fit that.

what did naughty dog say uncharted 3 would take? I tried to look and didnt find anything on what they said but what others said. I remember it took me just about 10 hours.

Grisby

That's fine. For a recent example Tomb Raider felt like a nice sweet spot and I think that was closer to 12 hours for me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't think I'll ever understand the obsession with game length. I guess it's because I just don't have the time to play 100 hour games these days, a nice, 8 or 9 hour game is perfect for me.

With the Last of Us, though, I'm going to savor the experience.

Also, each Uncharted game took me about 13+ hours to complete first time. I took in every beautiful visual, and explored every nook and cranny, and those games are linear as fuck.

krizzx

Are you seriously comparing the length of an RPG to an action adventure game?

Then how about I compare to Zelda which is also and Actin-Adventure game but 3 times as long, or to Brutal Legend which is also an action-adventure game, or to Assassin's Creed which is also an action-adventure game, or to Batman Arkham City which is also an action-adventure game, or to Castlevania Lord of Shadow which is also an action adventure game, or Darksiders which is also an action-adventure game, or to Infamous which is also an action adventure game. They all provide at least 30+ hours of gameplay.

Top Bottom