• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment Review Thread

Kyha3DV.jpg

MetaCritic

9.2/10 from IGN
People Can Fly is exactly what Gears of War needed. The Bulletstorm developer brings a bold new energy to Epic Games’ excellent (but overly familiar) action series. It presents such refreshing and disruptive ideas to Gears of War: Judgment's campaign that it has an effect comparable to the original’s in 2006. During the introduction, the sights are almost impossibly beautiful. Halfway through, I realized this is the best third-person shooter around. By the end, it's clear that it’s paving a path other developers could (and hopefully will) follow.

9/10 from Destructoid
Gears of War 3 was still a great little game, but represented the kind of step down indicative of a series that's running out of steam. Gears of War: Judgment puts paid to that impression, proving there's plenty of vitality in Epic's flagship yet; provided it's willing to try some new spins on its established formula. OverRun alone is worthy of praise, but there's just so much stuff going on in this package, there's something for all followers of the series. A few of Judgment's experiments may not be as fondly received as others, but overall it's hard to complain about a game that tries so much, and succeeds in almost all its endeavors.

4.5/5 from Joystiq
Whether it's multiplayer or single-player, Gears of War: Judgment proves that, for all of the series' trademark spectacle and flair, it all boils down to executing simple combat concepts well. A diligent approach to ensuring that no two encounters are the same keeps it from ever feeling stagnant or like a waste of your time. You're always moving, constantly pushing through the next enemy stronghold, never sure of what you'll face, and it's always harrowing.

4/5 from GamesRadar
Judgment evolves the franchise, giving it a strong, new identity without diminishing the events of the original trilogy. Declassified Missions are a brilliant concept that are executed in a great way, and the new multiplayer modes are worthy successors to Horde. Gears of War: Judgment tells a story that didn't really need to be told about a time that didn't need explanation, but it does it so well you'll be happy to take a trip back in time for a quick trial.

3/5 from GiantBomb

Despite my feelings that Baird is the most extraneous character in the Gears universe and a general feeling after Gears 3 that I was completely done with this franchise, Judgment is still a good time. It doesn't let its story get in the way of its action, and the declassified modifiers had me playing Gears in ways that I normally wouldn't, making for a more interesting challenge than the typical difficulty settings offer. But the lack of maps just sucks every last bit of life out of the multiplayer, regardless of its new modes.

3/5 from Rev3Games

I really enjoyed the campaign, though it missed some of the grander scale moments and boss fights that I usually enjoy about Gears and the story was uninteresting. Really dig People Can Fly's tweaking and the way the campaign has been built for repeat plays.

Vire

4 Maps = 9.2 Way to go IGN...

Here's more:

Gametrailers: 8.1

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/...udgment-review

Digital Spy: 3/5

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/rev...t-prequel.html

Gears of War: Judgment is not a bad game, but one that very much stands in the shadow of its more illustrious predecessors. It is a bit like going back to a favorite restaurant, only to find that the management has changed and it's just not quite the same anymore...Sure, you'll still have a pretty decent meal, but you'll also leave yearning for days gone by.

harSon

Banned
2 free, extra maps on launch day. But yes, he's serious.

Really?

Isn't it kind of disingenuous to put out a review where lack of multiplayer maps is the central reason for docking points before these maps are released? Just because they're not printed on the disk doesn't mean they're not a part of the intended day 1 experience.

Really?

Isn't it kind of disingenuous to put out a review where lack of multiplayer maps is the central reason for docking points before these maps are released? Just because they're not printed on the disk doesn't mean they're not a part of the intended day 1 experience.
They aren't coming out on day 1, they come out in april. So no

Salsa

Really?

they can only review what they are sent to review

what if those 2 maps are complete and uber crap that would affect the score as well?

And now the Sess killed any small hype I had for the campaign, it sounds so repetitive. Sigh, hopefully the gunplay and improved controls is enough to hold me.

Aaron

A beloved series always get inflated review scores in general. One of the reasons reviews are pretty useless.

Really?

They come out in April, not on launch day.

Top Bottom