• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment Review Thread

RoKKeR

So, 'alright' seems to be the general consensus. I'm fine with that. Will wait for a good price and then pick it up. I'm always down for more Gears.

Derrick01

Banned
who were the people claiming that Gears would review around the same as the new God of War?

Well I was saying it probably should for the reviewers claiming god of war was stale and knocking points for that, as it's only fair. But I don't think I said it would. I don't have that much faith in game reviewers.

And now the Sess killed any small hype I had for the campaign, it sounds so repetitive. Sigh, hopefully the gunplay and improved controls is enough to hold me.

It's repetitive in so far as you're going into combat areas to shoot things throughout without big setpieces or bosses to mix things up, but I really wouldn't consider the combat scenarios themselves repetitive, they're typically pretty varied (well, at least with the declassified variants, which is the only way I played the campaign).

Usobuko

Banned
I got the feeling that reviews sites are hesitant to differentiate their scores from both GoW and Gears for the fear of fan from both sides of the camp jumping at them.

Except Polygon of course.

harSon

Banned
they can only review what they are sent to review

what if those 2 maps are complete and uber crap that would affect the score as well?

They're releasing close enough to the launch window that these reviews should be reevaluated to reflect the addition of the multiplayer maps and additional mode. Unless the publication only cares about the initial page hits that a post embargo review brings, and not actually putting out informative and helpful content for consumers.

eznark

Banned
Game Informer with a responsible hold? Weird. Also, refreshing.

The newest chapter of the Gears of War series hits store shelves this Tuesday, and you'll probably see reviews for it popping up any minute now. However, you won't see Game Informer's just yet.

If you've paid attention to any gaming sites over the last couple of weeks, you may have heard about a rocky online launch or two (ok, one big one in particular). Considering the Gears series has a heavy focus on multiplayer, we want to make sure that the online experience is playable and solid before we assign a definitive score to the game as a whole. Because of that, you'll have to wait a couple more days before you see our thoughts on the new Epic shooter. Keep an eye on the site on Tuesday evening, as that's when it will most likely be posted.

They're releasing close enough to the launch window that these reviews should be reevaluated to reflect the addition of the multiplayer maps and additional mode. Unless the publication only cares about the initial page hits that a post embargo review brings.
Launch window lol keep moving the goal posts

TheHater

I don't understand reviews nor do I care for them.
My question is how can you review a game with 9/10 when the online is broken at launch? Mostly referring to Gears 2 and 3. Do reviewer play the games online or do the just give it 9/10 and hope that online get fix down the road?

B.O.O.M

man the IGN review reads like a love letter. Makes the game sound one of the best of the generation

"People Can Fly is exactly what Gears of War needed. The Bulletstorm developer brings a bold new energy to Epic Games’ excellent (but overly familiar) action series. It presents such refreshing and disruptive ideas to Gears of War: Judgment's campaign that it has an effect comparable to the original’s in 2006. During the introduction, the sights are almost impossibly beautiful. Halfway through, I realized this is the best third-person shooter around. By the end, it's clear that it’s paving a path other developers could (and hopefully will) follow."

-_- somehow I really doubt it. Will give it a go and judge for myself later (still need to play Gears 3 too)

and NO mention of the number of maps either. Unless I missed it when I went through it

Yeah. So it should be interesting.

It's really, really not. It's completely uninteresting. Not that Gears of War games have you know, exemplary stories, but they're at least entertaining for what they are, Judgment disappoints in that regard. I liked the actual gameplay content of the campaign enough that it wasn't a huge issue, though.

Vire

They're releasing close enough to the launch window that these reviews should be reevaluated to reflect the addition of the multiplayer maps and additional mode. Unless the publication only cares about the initial page hits that a post embargo review brings, and not actually putting out informative and helpful content for consumers.

How is that the responsibility of the press to evaluate it later because Microsoft decided to withhold maps for business decisions.

That's their problem not the journalists.

Resilient

Most people end up playing like 2 maps regularly in most games. I guess with only four maps to start with there are fewer opportunities for one or two of those to be "the one," and then the DLC angle makes it all seem a little bit shady...

True, but taking those other maps as options out is just cruel !

eznark

Banned
Unless the MP servers were not up during the review process (which should have been judging by the peeps who got it early), GoW has not DRM so why are they holding out on the review?

Maybe because Gears of War 2 was a broken mess at launch?

KissVibes

Banned
Its gears of wars, so we will add 3 extra points...

Meh.

Why would they do this considering pretty much all the talk about this game has been "Why does this exist? Why is this coming out now?

Should this be normal? Should all game with heavy online focus reviews be posted days/weeks after the game is release?

Yes. If you aren't reviewing the experience that consumers will be getting, the review is almost worthless.

See: Sim City

Vire

headesplode.gif

ryan.jpg

Hm, if Gears gets away with 4 maps, then I can definitely see a future where other publishers try less maps with day one DLC b.s.

It's not even a concern of fracturing the community:

Put out 4-6 maps, maybe a freebie if you preorder (which everyone is used to doing now), then sell the season passes and whatnot. I mean, they get the $60, and surely they will make more off of the DLC passes than they would those who choose not to purchase because of such low maps.

I dont know if Judgement is supposed to be a budget title or something, but for such a hugely popular flagship IP, I'm wondering where these games go from here

harSon

Banned
Launch window lol keep moving the goal posts

I honestly don't care enough to move the goal posts. I personally play Gears for its Single Player (MONTHS after its initial launch, when it's infinitely cheaper), but also feel that content releasing two weeks after launch, especially for something as long winded as multiplayer, should be given an editor's note of some sort.

Grisby

I don't understand reviews nor do I care for them.
My question is how can you review a game with 9/10 when the online is broken at launch? Mostly referring to Gears 2 and 3. Do reviewer play the games online or do the just give it 9/10 and hope that online get fix down the road?
Gears 3 wasn't broken though. In fact, the online for that was some of the best I've ever played.

I'll give you the fact that 2 was laggy as hell out the gate.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviews are just about what I'd expect.

Shame about the nasty multiplayer treatment though, would have imagined if the MP component didn't seem like an advertisement the review scores might have been even higher.

B.O.O.M

If you think this is bad, go read their Uncharted 3 review.
lol yep I remember that one.

If you followed that recent thread we had about worst reviews, most of them came from IGN.

No doubt. GodHand review comes to mind.

I just went over the this review real fast and I don't think they mentioned the number of maps. For a game where the MP component is the most important factor it felt like such an odd omission

GulAtiCa

I think this is the first GoW that I will skip and buy it later on. I don't know, for some reason I'm not at all hyped for it. Was really hyped for the other 2, even liked the 3rd.

harSon

Banned
How is that the responsibility of the press to evaluate it later because Microsoft decided to withhold maps for business decisions.

That's their problem not the journalists.

They're not obligated to do so, but if they actually cared about journalism and informing consumers, and not simply rushing to join the fray post embargo for maximum page hits, then they would would include such information within some sort of an editor's comment.

Speak the news.

I've spoilered this, but I don't talk about anything specific, just general story bits about the game.

I've watched the walkthrough on Youtube (don't ask why) and there isn't really that much about the back story about E-day or the Gears universe. The environments are nicely detailed and distinct, but the ending doesn't really tell you all that much, the villain has barely any backstory, and you learn basically nothing about the UIR or anything the books talk about.

Top Bottom