• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment Review Thread

No it doesn't.

He wrote ' Despite my feelings that Baird is the most extraneous character in the Gears universe and a general feeling after Gears 3 that I was completely done with this franchise, Judgment is still a good time.'

Why should actual Gears fan have a consensus to be done with the franchise because Epic finished completed the trilogy?

We have had 8 Call of duty campaigns in 8 years and there will be a 9th. We've had 5 Assassin's Creed camapigns since 07. Both of those franchises have new games in 2013.

In the prequel department we have seen Halo reach and this year Tomb Raider. God of War finished it's trilogy and now has a prequel only one week prior to Gears: Judgement.

I have no doubt that those guys are going to give a fair review, but I do think there is a divide between fans who love these franchises and anticipate these releases and reviewers who review from the standpoint that another game shouldn't exist in their eyes.

Either way, I applaud all 3 prequels releases in the last 3 weeks and have enjoyed Tomb Raider and GOW: A.

Look forward to picking up my 2 copies of Gears:J.
Who says they have to be done with the franchise? Jeff just stated the whole prequel is unnecessary, and using Baird as a protagonist is also unnecessary.

I feel the same as Jeff in that I'm done with the gears games. 3 wrapped up the trilogy nicely and since I'm not huge on gears mulitplayer or the books I'm gonna steer clear of judgement.

Also I still don't see why they couldn't of waited to released this on the nextbox.

Both games will suffer for the end generation siydrome, I still think Sony should had keep GOWA as a PS4 launch title.

I think a lot of GEARS and GOD of war fans are tired of current generation a will wait fo next.

It's not due to "end generation syndrome". GOW2 did very well and it released 6 months after the PS3 came out.

GOW:A and Judgement are just average iterations in otherwise amazing franchises. They're good games, but just don't have...flair really.

Stat!

It's hard to imagine this franchise evolving from Gears of War 1, one of the best xbox 360 games, one of my favourite games of all time with a near-perfect multiplayer with lots of "classic" maps to this. I loved Gears 2, but with some broken multiplayer, it didn't feel right still.

I loved the Gears 3 beta but even Gears 3 lacked the certain charm. I loved the franchise but to see it gutted, kinda sucks.

I can't imagine it having 4 maps. I love the Gears franchise overall. And picked up each game on launch. But this feels rushed, and not really there. Part of me wonders if all the epic guys leaving has something to do with this.

I hope, it takes a few years and returns. It deserves a Gears 5. But they need to wait it out a bit before I commit.

4 maps...

iPgvGY3GVjsKd.gif

brilliant

IISANDERII

I realized this is the best third-person shooter around. By the end, it's clear that it’s paving a path other developers could (and hopefully will) follow.
I find it hard to believe that a Gears of War game is suddenly better than Vanquish, or Binary Dome or even Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

Both games will suffer for the end generation siydrome, I still think Sony should had keep GOWA as a PS4 launch title.

I think a lot of GEARS and GOD of war fans are tires of current generation a will wait fo next.

I don't know what you mean by end generation syndrome, but in Ascension's case, it's simply not as good as the previous games in the franchise. Platforming is worse than ever, there aren't many bosses, combat is too easy, some sound effects are non existent the game isn't anywhere near as ambitious of GoW 3, and parrying is awful now. Technically the graphics are better than ever, but the game never really has a moment to show them off.

Silly IMO for Jeff or anyone to whine that MS advertises Gears on the XBL Dashboard, like it's a crime. It's not the first or last DLC or Pass that's been advertised on the Dash. The same 'fairly aggressive' advertisement was recently for BattleField 3's Premium Season pass. Did that feel 'Slimy' as well?

You're missing point completely. Its seems fishy or slimy to advertise it heavily when the game itself has only four maps. As if they withheld a lot of content from the game to push those extra dlc dollars.

Vire

Silly IMO for Jeff or anyone to whine that MS advertises Gears on the XBL Dashboard, like it's a crime. It's not the first or last DLC or Pass that's been advertised on the Dash. The same 'fairly aggressive' advertisement was recently for BattleField 3's Premium Season pass. Did that feel 'Slimy' as well?

You missed the whole point...

It's the fact that the game ships with only 4 maps and yet they have the audacity to ask for you to pay for a season pass afterwords.

It's a slap in the face.

EDIT: Beaten.

Loxley

Wow. What's with big games not living up to their potential this year? Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, GoW Ascension, Lego City and now this. IMO, not even Tomb Raider lived up to it's potential, although it was still a great game.

Sly 4 didn't exactly blow everyone's minds either :/

I find it hard to believe that a Gears of War game is suddenly better than Vanquish, or Binary Dome or even Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

Gears of War is way better than Space Marine and what I've played of Binary Domain. I'll give you Vanquish though.

edit: oops meant Gears

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
But God of War did add online multiplayer and a co-op survival mode. And from what I seen from Gaf and other forums, people actually enjoy the multiplayer. I can't speak because I have yet to play GoW:A. But that is a major addition to what was a single player only series.

I though Ascension was great, but in its own seperate review there is a lot of reasons I could see people docking it. A brick wall segment near the end of the game for many people, busted sound mixing, combat changes that are hit or miss, and depending on the indiviual the 'epicness' of God of War can be a big factor in getting into the game which Ascension can't hold a candle to 3 at. Without playing Judgement yet I can't compare the balance of strengths and faults.

But personally both God/Gears of War games here have been at a disadvantage from the start. Many people have a feeling of 'why?" which is naturally going to just lead into lower reviews all around. Not that I agree with the notion at all.

I'd say a 3rd God of War prequel is still more interesting than the first Gears prequel, simply due to the lore of each franchise. God of War's setting and even Kratos' story is still more interesting than the boring Gears universe.

I always hoped they'd make a Pendulum Wars or full Emergence Day game, and make the game more mature like the initial Mad World trailer depicted. Instead, we get an over the top caricature of a mature action game, like Gears always was in previous games. I have no problem with that, I just think a different approach, like a darker, more mature story, would have kept the series fresh.

Overrun is competitive and has 4 additional unique maps for it. it's sort of like BF3 having 4 maps for conquest and 4 maps for Rush.

Bingo. More people need to read this first before curb-stomping the game.

It's still a low number and definitely a bit dodgy, but it's a hell of a lot better than ZOMG4ADVERSARIALMPMAPS, which is not strictly true.

jayu26

I don't know what you mean by end generation syndrome, but in Ascension's case, it's simply not as good as the previous games in the franchise. Platforming is worse than ever, there aren't many bosses, combat is too easy, some sound effects are non existent the game isn't anywhere near as ambitious of GoW 3, and parrying is awful now. Technically the graphics are better than ever, but the game never really has a moment to show them off.

It can ride on interesting multiplayer.

The fact that he took to twitter for this kinda looks like he's going out of his way to influence other reviews that are after his. Feel kinda Slimy as well. Wouldn't you normally just review it and then write that you felt like there werent enough multi-maps?

The slimy part is the $60 retail game comes with only 4 maps, while at launch MS is advertising its season pass DLC... for all the maps cut out of the retail product to sell piece meal (and likely already on the disc).

BadAss2961

They have that same "was this necessary?" feel going on at the end of this gen.
I hate it when that's brought up for Ascension. We had one God of War for PS3... Seriously, just one game.
It's not due to "end generation syndrome". GOW2 did very well and it released 6 months after the PS3 came out.

GOW:A and Judgement are just average iterations in otherwise amazing franchises. They're good games, but just don't have...flair really.

I can't speak for Judgement, but a lot of people in the GoW:A thread have it as a top 2 GoW game. Myself included.

Don't just go by reviews.

sunnz

Bingo. More people need to read this first before curb-stomping the game.

It's still a low number and definitely a bit dodgy, but it's a hell of a lot better than ZOMG4ADVERSARIALMPMAPS, which is not strictly true.

But the difference is that BF maps are varied in terms of scale, from large open maps to small infantry maps, giving that good change of pace. Still a very low number, but is less of a problem in a game like BF, to me anyway.

rdrr gnr

The fact that he took to twitter for this kinda looks like he's going out of his way to influence other reviews that are after his. Feel kinda Slimy as well. Wouldn't you normally just review it and then write that you felt like there werent enough multi-maps?
You're right. He shouldn't look out for the consumer.

Alebrije

Well , it seems no just players but developers are "tired" of current generation.

The slimy part is the $60 retail game comes with only 4 maps, while at launch MS is advertising its season pass DLC... for all the maps cut out of the retail product to sell piece meal (and likely already on the disc).

I don't see how that's "slimy." If you don't think that you are getting enough for your $60 then don't buy the game. It probably will be $40 soon enough.

But the difference is that BF maps are varied in terms of scale, from large open maps to small infantry maps, giving that good change of pace. Still a very low number, but is less of a problem in a game like BF, to me anyway.

That may be so (even though it's a bit of a moot/subjective point), but it's still misinformation to assert that there are 4 "adversarial MP maps" when there are technically 8.

Lingitiz

Wow. What's with big games not living up to their potential this year? Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, GoW Ascension, Lego City and now this. IMO, not even Tomb Raider lived up to it's potential, although it was still a great game.

To be fair, alot of those games had bad warning signs even at last year's E3. Crysis 3 looked bland overall except for the PC version's graphics. Dead Space 3 showed a turn to coop and action over survival horror. Gears and GoW were both thought of as pointless late entries in their franchises.

SimCity had the always online DRM, but most people thought they could stomach it if the core game was strong enough. Unfortunately it wasn't.

Tomb Raider and DmC were the ones that turned out solid IMO. Here's hoping Bioshock turns out awesome

Top Bottom