• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment Review Thread

I don't see how that's "slimy." If you don't think that you are getting enough for your $60 then don't buy the game. It probably will be $40 soon enough.

While people like you support this, encourage companies to perpetuate this mentality, and potentially worsen the situation by implementing even shittier anti-consumer practices.

Pretty much this generation in a nutshell.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yes, on this very page.

There's a difference between defense and clarification. There are 8 maps, but 4 in the standard gears modes. The other 4 are for survival/overrun and wouldn't be able to work outside of those modes due to catered design for those modes.

I hate it when that's brought up for Ascension. We had one God of War for PS3... Seriously, just one game.
The way GOW3 wrapped up with such a bang is mostly why I feel this way, from what I've seen ti looks like a great GoW game, personally I can't deal with quicktime anymore.

Papercuts

Question: which franchise do you think has more of a right to/is more synonymous with the acronym, "GoW"?

Many things share the same synonym. I fucking hate when people try to say one is GOW and the other is GoW, of is never capitalized.

rdrr gnr

Good point, however the series isn't MP centric like Gears.
Sure. But they really did push that component this time around. I'm not willing to mitigate that portion of the game just because the series has historically been single-player. In fact, I think the SP suffered from the resources that went into MP.

Oh, hey. Nice job refuting my argument. If people don't think that the game is worth $60 they won't buy it. I know I'm not. There is no correct amount of content to release in a game.

Just because there's no single correct amount doesn't mean the content isn't pitiful considering the asking price and DLC plans.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't care less about the lack of multiplayer maps since I have played a grand total of 30 minutes of competitive multiplayer across all three games. I will wait on this until I get time with one of my co-op buddies. I bought the LEs of the other three games on day one so this feels weird but I am just not in the mood.

While people like you support this, encourage companies to perpetuate this mentality, and potentially worsen the situation by implementing even shittier anti-consumer practices.

Pretty much this generation in a nutshell.

What does "anti-consumer" even mean? Are they supposed to release these games for charity? Then are they "pro-consumer?" I'm not encouraging them to do anything, I'm just stating the simple fact that they can release the game for how much money they would like with however much content they want in it. If people don't want the game for $60 the price is going to drop quickly.

Sure. But they really did push that component this time around. I'm not willing to mitigate that portion of the game just because the series has historically been single-player. In fact, I think the SP suffered from the resources that went into MP.

I absolutely agree with the last statement. Number of technical issues have hit me in the SP and if the labor spent on the MP went to the SP, the polish would be there. However both parts of the game are fantastic (even the MP, when with friends). I give Sony and SmS credit, unlike Crystal Dynamics for outsourcing the MP on Tomb Raider.

I feel like the GoW chatter is derailing the thread, I'll stop. ;-)

What does "anti-consumer" even mean? Are they supposed to release these games for charity? Then are they "pro-consumer?" I'm not encouraging them to do anything, I'm just stating the simple fact that they can release the game for how much money they would like with however much content they want in it. If people don't want the game for $60 the price is going to drop quickly.

At any point does that result in a good product?

This "four maps" complaint is getting silly.

Sure, there's four maps. If you ignore an entire half of the competitive multiplayer in the game. Now, if you don't want to play Overrun mode that's fine, I could see a lot of people not wanting to if you just want traditional Gears multiplayer. That's totally fine if overrun's not your thing. But not wanting to play overrun doesn't make that half of the competitive multiplayer not exist.

Papercuts

A few years ago Gears was the first thing that showed up for me, it still comes above God of War stuff though.

I think google caters search options. I get Gears first, and in image search two gears pictures before Kratos sitting on his throne.

I don't want to defend the 4 maps (because every GoW game came with a minimum of 10 competitive maps, not to mention free dlc) but I've played the Overrun demo for about 20 hours, and that's just one map. It's a pretty engaging and fun mode.

Also if I may say something else, the Season Pass for this game is some Grade A bullshit, because all it gives you is 6 maps, some skins, and 2 game modes for $20, while Gears of War 3 gave you a 3-hour campaign, 13 maps plus a couple game modes for only $30 (not to mention some of the free dlc that was released for it).

You're saying 4 MP maps isn't slimy, while they're simultaneously advertising new maps on the dashboard that were ready to be included in the full game, but decided not to.

That's what you're encouraging. Maybe not explicitly, but implicitly. They see high sales while they implement this tactic, then they will keep it up with even worse strategies in the future.

Just because there's no single correct amount doesn't mean the content isn't pitiful considering the asking price and DLC plans.

I agree. That's why I'm not buying it at launch. People act like game companies have some moral obligation to release a game with what they deem the correct amount of content and at what they deem the correct price. Publishers just try to guess where supply will meet demand while also taking into consideration the demand for DLC. Of course, they can be wrong sometimes since it's incredibly difficult to guess what demand will be.

I agree. That's why I'm not buying it at launch. People act like game companies have some moral obligation to release a game with what they deem the correct amount of content and at what they deem the correct price. Publishers just try to guess where supply will meet demand while also taking into consideration the demand for DLC. Of course, they can be wrong sometimes since it's incredibly difficult to guess what demand will be.

Demand definitely shouldn't favor 4 MP maps, so it looks like they're making this difficult on themselves.

jayu26

None of that exempts them from criticism.

You're saying 4 MP maps isn't slimy, while they're simultaneously advertising new maps on the dashboard that were ready to be included in the full game, but decided not to.

That's what you're encouraging. Maybe not explicitly, but implicitly. They see high sales while they implement this tactic, then they will keep it up with even worse strategies in the future.

Good for them if they see high sales. Do you know how selfish it sounds to expect them to bring in less revenue just because you want more maps for the same price. Do the shareholders not deserve the highest returns that they can get? Do developers not deserve more pay?

The 4 maps refrain is getting tiring (especially since its not accurate).

As for me, I'm strange in that I suck at GoW MP and I really play these games for the campaign mode. The campaign is what really drew me in for the original and will probably be the reason I (eventually) get this.

Top Bottom