• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgment Review Thread

RoKKeR

The IGN and Rev3 takes on the campaign could not be more different, Jesus. I'll take Sessler's word on this one.

KissVibes

Banned
The same person who said GOW:Ascension was dogshit because it was pretty much the same gave GOW: Judgement a 9.2? What a joke.

God of War has almost been around for 8 years and has 7 entities. 6 of which play virtually exactly the same. Gears of War has been around for for almost the same time and has 4 entries.

It's easy to see why somebody might look at one and see fatigue but look at the other and still think it's one of the best cover-based shooters on the market.

I've spoilered this, but I don't talk about anything specific, just general story bits about the game.

I've watched the walkthrough on Youtube (don't ask why) and there isn't really that much about the back story about E-day or the Gears universe. The environments are nicely detailed and distinct, but the ending doesn't really tell you all that much, the villain has barely any backstory, and you learn basically nothing about the UIR or anything the books talk about.
So basically it's a completely unnecessary prequel. Well this is happening a lot lately.

4 maps...

iPgvGY3GVjsKd.gif

B.O.O.M

God of War has almost been around for 8 years and has 7 entities. 6 of which play virtually exactly the same. Gears of War has been around for for almost the same time and has 4 entries.

It's easy to see why somebody might look at one and see fatigue but look at the other and still think it's one of the best cover-based shooters on the market.

On the other hand we have 4 Gears of war games on a single console. That's the difference. God of war had 2 on ps2, 2 on psp and 2 on ps3

sunnz

I cant help but feel they took out the maps to sell as "DLC" later on, I hope some gamers have a brain and don't buy the DLC and further encouraging stuff like this happening.

The biggest problem I have with DLC ( especially online DLC) is that is splits the community way too much and somewhat ruin it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Honestly this is reviewing better than I thought. I expected games journalists to really sink their teeth in to it and give it a 7.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Just like GoWA, this is a prequel that nobody wanted and as it turns out it is the weakest game in the franchise.

nib95

Banned
aT3GuDu.png

Amazing how that worked out.

Probably will have similar sales numbers too.

To be fair, I'm not excessively excited about either. Still haven't purchased Ascension, and not sure I'll purchase Judgement. Still mulling over it.

4 maps is just silly though...

DaBoss

I don't really feel it with this game, though I wasn't ever really fond of the Gears series. They were all solid games, but I did feel like I wanted to play the previous entries, but this one, I don't think so.

Actually God of War has six on the PS3. :p

lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'll probably wait until I beat BioShock Infinite to dedicate time to Judgment; perhaps it'll be on sale to $40 by then.

I've spoilered this, but I don't talk about anything specific, just general story bits about the game.

I've watched the walkthrough on Youtube (don't ask why) and there isn't really that much about the back story about E-day or the Gears universe. The environments are nicely detailed and distinct, but the ending doesn't really tell you all that much, the villain has barely any backstory, and you learn basically nothing about the UIR or anything the books talk about.

As someone who played the first 3 games and wanted to know more about the events leading up to those games...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24825-1340383947-10.gif

I'm not a huge fan of either series, but I have to call you on this one...

God of War is only the second entry on the PS3, Gears is the 4th on the 360. The God of War series started almost 2 years earlier than Gears, and this is actually the 6th entry not the 7th (unless I missed something).

That said, personal preference could lead to someone being sick of one and still keen for more of the other.

rdrr gnr

It's easy to see why somebody might look at one and see fatigue but look at the other and still think it's one of the best hack-and-slash, action-adventure games on the market.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
But he does have a point.
God of War with more of the same = bad
Gears of War with more of the same = Best Third Person Shooter this generation.

Judgement sounds like it's doing a lot of different stuff, actually. The lack of MP maps seems to be the main detractor.

God of War is only the second entry on the PS3, Gears is the 4th on the 360. The God of War series started almost 2 years earlier than Gears, and this is actually the 6th entry not the 7th (unless I missed something).

Exactly. And you think MS wouldn't have pushed a few more if they had a handheld device along with the Xbox?

BadAss2961

The same person who said GOW:Ascension was dogshit because it was pretty much the same gave GOW: Judgement a 9.2? What a joke.
Who did that? I see IGN gave this a 9.2, but I doubt it was the same reviewer.

Anyway, Ascension is way better than reviews made it out to be. I thought it topped GoW3 overall.

DEADEVIL

I feel like Jeff's review will encapsulate GAF's overall consensus of the game.

No it doesn't.

He wrote ' Despite my feelings that Baird is the most extraneous character in the Gears universe and a general feeling after Gears 3 that I was completely done with this franchise, Judgment is still a good time.'

Why should actual Gears fan have a consensus to be done with the franchise because Epic finished completed the trilogy?

We have had 8 Call of duty campaigns in 8 years and there will be a 9th. We've had 5 Assassin's Creed camapigns since 07. Both of those franchises have new games in 2013.

In the prequel department we have seen Halo reach and this year Tomb Raider. God of War finished it's trilogy and now has a prequel only one week prior to Gears: Judgement.

I have no doubt that those guys are going to give a fair review, but I do think there is a divide between fans who love these franchises and anticipate these releases and reviewers who review from the standpoint that another game shouldn't exist in their eyes.

Either way, I applaud all 3 prequels releases in the last 3 weeks and have enjoyed Tomb Raider and GOW: A.

Look forward to picking up my 2 copies of Gears:J.

B.O.O.M

That said, personal preference could lead to someone being sick of one and still keen for more of the other.

I'm guessing the 7th game is that phone game

I know it's not traditional MP, but overrun mode looks like a lot of fun and has its own 4 unique maps.

I wish there were more traditional maps too, but saying "4 maps" is disingenuous. There are 8 maps, they're just separated by modes. Plus 2 free traditional MP maps are coming two weeks after launch for free.

It's far from ideal but it's also far from "4 maps."

harSon

Banned

If you're going to include Judgement, which is certainly on the same console as the other three but its also by a different development group, then you have to include Chains of Olympus and Ghosts of Sparta as well.

TheHater

Judgement sounds like it's doing a lot of different stuff, actually. The lack of MP maps seems to be the main detractor.

But God of War did add online multiplayer and a co-op survival mode. And from what I seen from Gaf and other forums, people actually enjoy the multiplayer. I can't speak because I have yet to play GoW:A. But that is a major addition to what was a single player only series.

Alebrije

aT3GuDu.png

Amazing how that worked out.

Probably will have similar sales numbers too.

Both games will suffer for the end generation siydrome, I still think Sony should had keep GOWA as a PS4 launch title.

I think a lot of GEARS and GOD of war fans are tired of current generation a will wait fo next.

Wow. What's with big games not living up to their potential this year? Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, GoW Ascension, Lego City and now this. IMO, not even Tomb Raider lived up to it's potential, although it was still a great game.

sunnz

Umm, this is exactly how I feel about GEOW, the stupid moving camera to make it look dramatic, same old cover style, same shooting etc...

I don't play competitive multiplayer modes... did they replace Horde with another type of co-op mode?

Yes. There's a 10-wave survival mode that is 10 rounds long, but each round is much more challenging than the typical horde round.

Honestly, I think that it's a good change. It would be nice to have the typical 50-round horde as an option, though.

LifEndz

Four maps? I thought Halo 4 launched with a small number of maps but four is insane. I'm a big Gears fan but I'll pass on this until the price drops to a fair price for a game that was probably planned as DLC.

Wow. What's with big games not living up to their potential this year? Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, GoW Ascension, Lego City and now this. IMO, not even Tomb Raider lived up to it's potential, although it was still a great game.
too much exposure,these franchises need a nice long break.

DEADEVIL

d2FuGdi.png

nailed it.

Silly IMO for Jeff or anyone to whine that MS advertises Gears on the XBL Dashboard, like it's a crime. It's not the first or last DLC or Pass that's been advertised on the Dash. The same 'fairly aggressive' advertisement was recently for BattleField 3's Premium Season pass. Did that feel 'Slimy' as well?

The fact that he took to twitter for this kinda looks like he's going out of his way to influence other reviews that are after his. Feel kinda Slimy as well. Wouldn't you normally just review it and then write that you felt like there werent enough multi-maps?

Overrun is competitive and has 4 additional unique maps for it. it's sort of like BF3 having 4 maps for conquest and 4 maps for Rush.

Yeah it's interesting Jeff took offense to it.

Here's what Joystick wrote earlier this month about the multiplayer

After just a few hours with pretty close to final Gears of War: Judgment multiplayer, I'm confident that series fans will find a lot to appreciate here and will ultimately end up enjoying the distillation of loadouts and game modes because I certainly did. Competitive multiplayer purists can stick to their playlists, fragging away the live long day, but most of my enjoyment came from Survival and Domination, two modes that demand team work.'

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/04/gears-of-war-judgments-multiplayer-comfort-food/

Top Bottom