• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) coming to NA retail/eShop Summer 2013 (July 16)

The relationship doesn't matter in the sense that "Sony Music owns Aniplex and so they want all games on Sony platforms" because that's not true. Sony Music and Sony Computer Entertainment are different entities. But what does matter is that in terms of marketing and consumer base, the sort of products which Aniplex tends to produce target the same people in Japan who play stuff on Sony platforms - better screens, higher resolution, etc. In particular the PS3 is extremely popular among such audiences because many of them use the PS3 as their blu-ray player as well, and anime mostly sells on the blu-ray format. That's the reason why most Aniplex shows have game releases on PSP or PS3.

Like with Sony Pictures, anything owned by Sonic Music and Pictures can appear on non-Sony platforms right? So strange that SCE did not put a kind of hold on these.

Which reminds me, Game Freak's Click Medic game is owned by Sony Music, which could technically mean GF could bring it back on 3DS or Wii U in this case right? Whether they would even want to is another issue all together.

Tenchu as well was owned by Sony Music before they sold it to Activision and then to From Software correct?

Why does Sonic Music own games? Why does Columbia Pictures own Q-bert?

Bizarro world. o_O

Herla

Time to add another one!

aaBx7hR.jpg

I'm probably missing something, too...

ohlawd

expected this in early 2014 so this is nice news.

Am I gonna have a new GotY?

Atlus destroyin' everyone out there yessir.

Aww fuck yeah. 50 bucks seems a little strange, but I guess maybe they're using a bigger cartridge size and had to price it accordingly. Maybe they'll use the extra space to include the Japanese dub too.

duckroll

Aww fuck yeah. 50 bucks seems a little strange, but I guess maybe they're using a bigger cartridge size and had to price it accordingly. Maybe they'll use the extra space to include the Japanese dub too.

Or maybe they just want to make more money considering how they have a faithful fanbase and this is a big "core" title where the same number of people will probably buy the game even if it's 10 bucks more. Can't blame them for wanting to make money though. :p

Dantis

Nocturne (the US version is based on the Maniacs version in Japan), Strange Journey, and Soul Hackers have the same team. Atlus is more than Kaneko, Meguro, and Hashino.

Sure, there's Soejima too.

*cough*

But seriously, I was just meaning that those three were undeniably incredibly significant in the games that they mentioned, to the extent that they were amongst the most significant members of staff, and none of them are present.

Never said they were perfect, that game had a huge script.

Well, that's true at least.

duckroll

Sure, there's Soejima too.

*cough*

But seriously, I was just meaning that those three were undeniably incredibly significant in the games that they mentioned, to the extent that they were amongst the most significant members of staff, and none of them are present.

You're wrong though. Unless you think that the actual directors of those games and the people responsible for implementing the visual look and tone of those games, and writing the scenario, and planning the gameplay systems, and programming the games, are somehow less important.

Eiji Ishida for example, is for all intents and purposes the "art director" of Nocturne. But since he isn't credited as "art director" in the game, I guess it doesn't matter to you.

Let's just call it disingenuous to mention games the staff working on this game have had major roles on, just because people you recognize aren't in major roles in this game. Yup. People who worked on games don't deserve credit if they're not the names everyone recognizes! Woohoo!

Clov

I'm REALLY surprised that it's coming out so quickly! I'll be there on day 1. Though it's a bit odd that they're charging $50. Actually, it makes me kinda annoyed that they're taking advantage of thier fanbase like this. There better be some nice goodies included to make this an easier pill to swallow.

Or maybe they just want to make more money considering how they have a faithful fanbase and this is a big "core" title where the same number of people will probably buy the game even if it's 10 bucks more. Can't blame them for wanting to make money though. :p

duckroll, why you gotta make me doubt one of my favorite developers? XD

Makes me wonder if they translated the game right from the start, or if this is a rush job. I'm hoping the former rather than the latter, but I guess only time will tell...

still not clear on why, if you know you're going to be selling your game in the west, this hasn't become standard operating procedure. because i'd think it has to be easier to do then than it is down the road...

Volcynika

still not clear on why, if you know you're going to be selling your game in the west, this hasn't become standard operating procedure. because i'd think it has to be easier to do then then it is down the road...

Working on other projects (staff size is important here), or just to avoid losing work due to changes in the game that arise during development.

Oh yeah, the Japanese version has retailer exclusive pre-order DLC. Maybe the increased price is partly because we are getting all of that? I just hope they are immediately upfront about the reasons for the increased price.

Edit: Oh, that was just two costumes. Not nearly enough to justify a $10 increase, also I don't think we will be getting them because they use the color schemes of those retailers.

Cyrano

still not clear on why, if you know you're going to be selling your game in the west, this hasn't become standard operating procedure. because i'd think it has to be easier to do then than it is down the road...
Considering the development cycle of many games, it is hard to know this. I am glad the game is coming out. I'll probably pre-order it on Amazon. I'm simply concerned about translation quality, particularly with all the grammar mistakes that slip through in many of their titles (sorry, I'm bad about this).

I hope the voice acting in SMTIV is good. The game looks very Japanese. English VO could go wrong pretty easily.

I guess we can count on an European localization in late 2015. Adding bugs takes time after all.

Is it possible for Euro people to buy a US 3DS and buy games from the eshop with points cards?

Fireblend

Banned
So, what's the relationship between Overclocked, Soul Hackers, and this, and which should I buy? I've only ever played Persona, feeling a little lost here D:

Don't say all of them

So, what's the relationship between Overclocked, Soul Hackers, and this, and which should I buy? I've only ever played Persona, feeling a little lost here D:

Don't say all of them

They all have demons.

Soul Hackers and SMT play similarly in a lot of respects.
Overclocked (Devil Survivor series) is a strategy RPG.

The common thing between all of them is there's a fusion mechanic and demons.

Is it possible for Euro people to buy a US 3DS and buy games from the eshop with points cards?

I THINK so, same as if you buy a JP 3DS in NA and you should be able to access the JP eShop IIRC.

Question is, are you able to transfer a JP 3DS to a NA 3DS? That'd be sick to have eShop games from all regions in one. *drools*

TEJ

I've yet to play any SMT games besides Persona, but I'm very interested in this and Soul Hackers.

if you like persona because you get to play as a high schooler who helps out people with crippling emotional problems or because of the
scooby doo
murder mystery from persona 4 you're in for a shock.

Bladenic

if you like persona because you get to play as a high schooler who helps out people with crippling emotional problems or because of the
scooby doo
murder mystery from persona 4 you're in for a shock.

Haha I played them because they looked interesting and fun. I've heard that stories in main SMT games are much darker than the Persona series so I'm half ready I guess.

spiritfox

Don't say all of them

All of them.

They're basically based on the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, of which this game is the 4th game of the mainline series. Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers, Persona, and all the other non-numbered Shin Megami Tensei games in the US are spinoffs that use demon summoning and fusion as main gameplay mechanics. Most of them also have mature themes and multiple endings that follow law, chaos, and neutral paths (or similar).

I buy games from the Canada eshop and I don't live in the US. Canada's eshop also accepts credit cards from outside the country, so you don't need to buy points cards if you want.

NeoZylom

IRVINE, Calif. – April 2, 2013 – It’s been nearly ten years since the last chapter closed in the original Shin Megami Tensei® role playing game (RPG) series, but the long wait is nearly over. Developed by the award-winning ATL.....

Fiew.

TEJ

Haha I played them because they looked interesting and fun. I've heard that stories in main SMT games are much darker than the Persona series so I'm half ready I guess.

the persona games i've played {3 and 4} were goofy, and sometimes campy. It was a pretty big shock after playing nocturne and dds1-2.

Atlus, 3DS in-house support:
1. Devil Survivor Overclocked
2. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
3. Shin Megami Tensei IV
4. Devil Survivor 2: Break Record
5. Etrian Odyssey IV
6. Etrian Odyssey: The Lady of Mieniam
7. Persona Spinoff? / Persona 5?

Atlus, PSP in-house support:
1. Princess Crown
2. Devil Summoner
3. Persona
4. Persona 3 Portable
5. Tokyo Mono Hara Shi
6. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
7. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

Only one title away and Atlus's 3DS in-house support will match their entire in-house support for the PSP.
I believe Princess Crown and Devil Summoner on PSP were straight up emulated Saturn isos, which is why they weren't localized.

Anyway, we're also getting pretty close with the DS total for Atlus already:

1. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
2. Etrian Odyssey
3. Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
4. Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
5. Devil Survivor
6. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
7. Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
8. Noora and the Time Studio
9. Radiant Historia
10. Devil Survivor 2

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Oh yeah, the Japanese version has retailer exclusive pre-order DLC. Maybe the increased price is partly because we are getting all of that? I just hope they are immediately upfront about the reasons for the increased price.

Edit: Oh, that was just two costumes. Not nearly enough to justify a $10 increase, also I don't think we will be getting them because they use the color schemes of those retailers.
Oh don't worry, they're already hard at work on the exclusive GameStop-themed equivalent DLC.

Equipping it will change the character's voice to the GameStop dude.

Cosmonaut

This summer? Like in a few months?

I hope I'm done with Soul Hackers by then. Gotta love Atlus, they're supporting the shit out of the 3DS.

wrowa

Yes and no.

It would be possible, but keep in mind that all your game download licenses are stored on the actual 3DS hardware and are not tied to an account. I don't think that NoE would be able to transfer your US licenses to another 3DS in case your US 3DS should ever break. I doubt that NoA would send me a 3DS back to Europe, either.

The risk of losing several hundred bucks just isn't worth it.

Of course, importing games isn't really all that complicated, but for obvious reasons that's also a rather annoying solution.

Top Bottom