• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

Hofmann

Monaco is finally coming out (April 24th)? Hallelujah.

I would have to pretty much abandon retail games altogether (haven't bought one this whole year though, so could be easy) if I want to give all these games a try! Right now have exams coming so I've slowed down, but Toma is super dedicated and he does an amazing job with these threads. I just want to congratulate him.

Future indie games I'm super stoked for:

Knock Knock
Gone Home
The Witness
Riot
Guacamelee
Everybody's Gone to Rapture (not sure if 2013)
Broken Age
Broken Sword: Serpent's Curse
Ithaka of the Clouds

I've tried to make a list too, but it grows everytime I come in to this thread, for now it consists of almost twenty upcoming games, that I need to play before I die - in comparison there are only two retail titles that I'm hyped for in a similar way.

The Witness
Everybody's Gone to Rapture
Memory of a Broken Dimension
FRACT OSC
Stanley Parable
Feist
Mirage
Pavilion
Future episodes of KRZ
Cheongsam
Tengami
Gorogoa
Papers, Please
Aeon
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Auditorium Duet
Among the Sleep

And I probably forgot about a lot, this is madness!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pulse looks pretty interesting too:
82e61a5ebbcfb64c565eeb3a0f8f596a_large.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampixelpi/pulse-reveal-the-world-through-sound

I just tried the alpha, but unfortunately, its heavily motionsickness inducing, so I wont/cant play more of it. Its basically an 3d adventure/platformer that revolves around exploration of the world which you can see by "sound". Anything that makes sound is made visible to you, basically like how echolot would guide you. Their Kickstarter might also need a few more backers.

Hofmann

Pulse looks pretty interesting too.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampixelpi/pulse-reveal-the-world-through-sound

I just tried the alpha, but unfortunately, its heavily motionsickness inducing, so I wont/cant play more of it. Its basically an 3d adventure/platformer that revolves around exploration of the world which you can see by "sound". Anything that makes sound is made visible to you, basically like how echolot would guide you.

Indie answer to Batman games.

Raxum

Wah, I was almost dismissing this game due to my first, highly uneducated impression. Good thing I checked it nonetheless:

Burn & Turn:
Burn_And_Turn.jpg

http://robotbear.org/index.html

The game seems to be getting all kinds of exposure, considering its basically on every platform ever and even Edge reviewed it. Crazy fun Arcade action game about saving princesses and grabbing loot. Give this game a try!

But it was mentioned earlier, when the free bundle came up that this was actually quite decent! Haha glad it's getting some more recommendations though, really enjoy this one!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
But it was mentioned earlier, when the free bundle came up that this was actually quite decent! Haha glad it's getting some more recommendations though, really enjoy this one!

Yeah, I glanced over it briefly when it was mentioned and dismissed it at first. I was doing some cleaning up of my links and thought I'd try before kicking it off my list, which just got me to realize that its actually pretty darn good. I am usually pretty spot on with first impressions, but that one got me.

Onto a few hours of scouring the last Screenshot Saturday.

Raxum

Yeah, I glanced over it briefly when it was mentioned and dismissed it at first. I was doing some cleaning up of my links and thought I'd try before kicking it off my list, which just got me to realize that its actually pretty darn good. I am usually pretty spot on with first impressions, but that one got me.

Just like myself with Driftmoon, almost discounted it because it looks a little too much like runescape in screenshots, but just tried out the demo and it's actually a pretty decent RPG (not that runescape isn't but I've had my fill of point-and-click for a while). It plays quite differently as well, at least from my 2-3+ years ago playing it. WASD movement is quite nice, and the game itself is quite quirky and a bit funny.

Toma

I've tried to make a list too, but it grows everytime I come in to this thread, for now it consists of almost twenty upcoming games, that I need to play before I die - in comparison there are only two retail titles that I'm hyped for in a similar way.

The Witness
Everybody's Gone to Rapture
Memory of a Broken Dimension
FRACT OSC
Stanley Parable
Feist
Mirage
Pavilion
Future episodes of KRZ
Cheongsam
Tengami
Gorogoa
Papers, Please
Aeon
Quadrilateral Cowboy
Auditorium Duet
Among the Sleep

And I probably forgot about a lot, this is madness!

Just from the first thread, I'd immediately add:

Train Fever
Sir, You are being hunted
Radio the universe
Lacuna Passage

This list is potentially endless.

Did Cart Life ever get patched to be slightly more stable? I *really* wanted to like it, but I couldn't put up with the game crashing to desktop towards the end of a day and having to replay the entire day again.

Also - amazing OP. Tons of things Ive bookmarked to check out now.

Toma

Did Cart Life ever get patched to be slightly more stable? I *really* wanted to like it, but I couldn't put up with the game crashing to desktop towards the end of a day and having to replay the entire day again.

Also - amazing OP. Tons of things Ive bookmarked to check out now.

Huh? Weird. I didnt encounter a single bug/crash. Maybe its worth retrying for you.

And thanks :) I like the OP too. Its pretty fun scrolling up and down these threads, just oogline at the games I played/others recommended. You should also take a look at the march thread linked in the OP.

Veezy

que?
Subscribed. Love Indie games.

Can anybody recommend me something new to try. Looking for RPGs or a strategy game like Dominion 3 or Conquest of Elysium 3.

Hofmann

Just from the first thread, I'd immediately add:

Train Fever
Sir, You are being hunted
Radio the universe
Lacuna Passage

This list is potentially endless.

Gonna look closer at these.

The Note looks interesting too , although its strictly speaking not a game and not even interactive fiction. They describe it as "an experiment on realtime poetry. A story you can play".

http://motamot.co/

Trailer:
http://vimeo.com/63010879

This one immediately grabbed my attention, but the description made me a little bit skeptical.

We want to make an experiment with realtime poetry,
with storytelling without words.

Watched the trailer and I don't know what they mean by this.

We want to see this game as an artistic experience.

I hate it when the term is being overused.

It looks interesting nonetheless.

Toma

Can anybody recommend me something new to try. Looking for RPGs or a strategy game like Dominion 3 or Conquest of Elysium 3.

Because I cant have someone subscribing leaving empty handed:

There is an older game (2009) called Eador.Genesis which you should check out:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesis

Its sequel will release sometime this year, called Eador: Masters of the Broken World:
http://www.snowbirdgames.com/eador/?lang=en

Aaaand, take a look at Fortune Winds: Ancient Trader for an awesome style and card based battles:
http://www.legendo.com/fortune-winds-ancient-trader/

Toma

This one immediately grabbed my attention, but the description made me a little bit skeptical.
Watched the trailer and I don't know what they mean by this.
I hate it when the term is being overused.
It looks interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, that definitely sounds a bit too much PR speak. It just crossed my radar on tumblr earlier, so I figured I might as well post it. The "without words" part is indeed funny, now that you mention it. As far as I understood, its basically a visualized story/poem. You read the text while going through actions with the character, which might invoke similar kinds of feelings than the ones they want to portray in the text (character walking faster when something hectic happens in the narration, etc).

But we'll see. That game isnt on my "immediate games to look forward to list" btw. Just throwing some stuff in here.

Hofmann

Yeah, that definitely sounds a bit too much PR speak. It just crossed my radar on tumblr earlier, so I figured I might as well post it.

But we'll see. That game isnt on my "immediate games to look forward to list" btw. Just throwing some stuff in here.

I saw it on Indie Statik, which lately has become my favourite news source.

Toma

I saw it on Indie Statik, which lately has become my favourite news source.

Yep, I noticed Indie Statik via tumblr too. The post I was talking about was an IndieStatik post. Definitely one of the best websites out there for these games atm.

Toma

Screenshot Saturday Post 1:

Unnamed - Fun: "this happened by accident and is waaay cooler than what I want to do here. fuck."
directlink_BGuSzMcCcAI9CFv.png

Operetta - combines elements of 4x strategy and arcade-style shooters.
directlink_Screenshot-30-March-2013.jpg

Pixel Noir - RPG for iOS and Android devices
directlink_BGo_A1oCAAIM8fg.png

Deep Space Settlement - A real-time strategy game for PC, focused on empire building and grand-scale space battles(4X RTS)
directlink_buildmenu.gif

Dog Sled Saga - A game about improving your ranking in dog sled competitions. They even mentioned Multiplayer:
twitpic_cfp9md.gif

Valence - Roguelike with a strong focus on stackable upgrades , Zelda Style
directlink_BGo5LBJCYAA7WOn.png

Raxum

I can recommend a few games, but this post may turn into a wall of text. I'll highlight game names to try and help. Also will put links in the game name.

RPGs:
Really depends on what type you are looking for but:
Planet Explorers is a sci-fi RPG with world-building, somewhat like minecraft but with a less blocky aesthetic and more technology.
Legends of Aethereus is a decent action combat, third person RPG, but is still in reasonably early development. Despite that it can be quite engaging, and the crafting system is reasonably deep.
Path of Exile is a free-to-play action-RPG/loot whore game, only in open-beta but a very complete game in it's own right. The devs are pretty active within the community and seem to listen to the feedback. Can be very unforgiving, but the skill system is very deep and it has an absolutely massive passive skill "tree" which is more like a forest.
Din's Curse is another interesting ARPG, however it is a couple of years old, and the graphics look a bit older than that. Despite this it's quite decent, you play a character who owes a debt to a god, so you travel from town to town clearing out dungeons. Towns and dungeons are randomly generated.
Kenshi is a mix between RPG and RTS, where you spend your time building up a character and recruiting for a squad that you can individually control, training each member, and you can continue playing as long as any member of your squads survive. You can build your own base, raise an army, join an army, become a trader or whatever you'd like. Currently in early-access on Steam, it's in alpha, but definitely worth playing.
Driftmoon reminds me a lot of games like Dink Smallwood, which was a really interesting RPG when I was a bit younger. Top-down with WASD controls, can be quite quirky, but I've only played some of the demo so far.

RTS:
I really haven't been playing many lately, so my list will be short.
OpenRA - basically a multi-player only iteration of red alert that's completely free and completely moddable
Battle for Wesnoth - Only played a little of this, but it's turn-based and movement/combat is based on hexagonal tiles. Good art-style and I'll be playing more, it's free as well.

Toma

Screenshot Saturday post 2:

TBRS - Part bullet hell, part music game! Play as a Trip, a bounty hunter as he fights a one on one duel against interstellar criminals.
directlink_BGopDYHCQAAkIaC.png

Skipping Stones - seems to be a rather pretty exploration type game.
directlink_BGoWV9nCUAADlNw.png

??? - Sidescrolling dungeon rump, no further info to be found?
directlink_BGoP2v_CQAAGC4P.jpg

Enemy Starfighter - 3D planefighting game with rather ambitious goals. Check the link for that.
imgur_Jm2Cin1.gif

Genesis - Game Engine, at one point supposed to feature infinite procedural worlds, destructible terrain and an advanced crafting/engineering system.
twitpic_cfobgk.jpg

??? - Racing game? Is that Race the Sun?
mosaic.png

Raxum

Toma, you always have interesting stuff in these posts! Valence sounds interesting, and I've been keeping an eye on deep space settlement for a while. The Genesis engine is another I've been eyeing for a while, and now I'm looking at TBRS, why do most of these have to be upcoming games?! Haha, I really should finish what I've got.

Deep space settlement should be fun though, I've wanted a decent space sim since X3 started crashing on startup on my last 2 PCs. I've actually been trying out Evochron Mercenary lately as well, which is quite a good space sim, taking me a while to get used to though. Definitely enjoy going from space to planet-level seamlessy. Pretty sure it's made by one guy as well. Couple of years old though.

Toma

Played through most of Monte Carlo on co-op yesterday and was a lot of fun. Really looking forward to Monaco now. Although the gameplay loop did always seem to end up with one of us walking head first into a guard and running around in circles while the other hid in a closet while telling them to 'die proudly.' Good times. Anyway recommend any other good local co-op games?

Also, just moved on VESPER.5.

Toma

Played through most of Monte Carlo on co-op yesterday and was a lot of fun. Really looking forward to Monaco now. Although the gameplay loop did always seem to end up with one of us walking head first into a guard and running around in circles while the other hid in a closet while telling them to 'die proudly.' Good times. Anyway recommend any other good local co-op games?

Also, just moved on VESPER.5.
Are you just moving forward? There plants on the side and I am tempted to try to walk on them.

Lacabra

Neo Member
InFlux - PC
http://www.impromptugames.com/
InFlux.jpg

Marble Madness type game where you solve environmental puzzles with a semi-open world approach in which you explore the world and solve the mysteries. Really cool touch. Also, the game looks damn good and varied. Check the videos on their website.
Thanks for listing my game! Still trying desperately to push it up the Greenlight ranks. It's been hanging around #65ish for ages.

Toma

Thanks for listing my game! Still trying desperately to push it up the Greenlight ranks. It's been hanging around #65ish for ages.

No problem :) The game definitely looks intriguing. There is no publicly available build to check out yet, right? If available, I'd also subscribe to a mailing list announcing the release/beta/whatever playable version

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Toma, thanks for making this. I had no idea that so many great looking indie games are coming out - I mean, I know there's always a few, but I'm seeing at least 10 that I need to play. Subbed!

Toma

Toma, thanks for making this. I had no idea that so many great looking indie games are coming out - I mean, I know there's always a few, but I'm seeing at least 10 that I need to play. Subbed!

Glad people like it :) Make sure to pop in the march thread as well. That thread is by no means "outdated" and contains a lot of interesting games as well.

Lacabra

Neo Member
No problem :) The game definitely looks intriguing. There is no publicly available build to check out yet, right? If available, I'd also subscribe to a mailing list announcing the release/beta/whatever playable version
Yeah, no public build yet.
There's not a mailing list, but if you hit "follow" or whatever it is on the Greenlight page or join the Impromptu Games group (which I'd link if the Steam Community weren't down right now) you should get a notification when it comes out. I post announcements occasionally. There's also a facebook page.
Also, Destructoid are going to play it on their twitch channel, Tuesday 7PM EST I think.

Pulse

iAXkBJpUn18Z0.gif

Prett lengthy playable prototype. Even though neither game is released, the echolocation concept reminded me of Black Lake, that Double Fine fortnight game, but in this you're more blind. I kinda love you're a small boy, scared in this weird world and panting a lot.

It's really cool, and scary when the monster comes around because you have to be right up to him to actually see him hurtling towards you. You can see all your footsteps, and these Mokos (possibly cutest thing I've seen in a game) basically act as flares to throw out into the dark to see more of the world. I like that clues to puzzles are shown as cave paintings.

The way the echolocation works has a lot of attention to detail. Even water drops make enough of a sound to show a piece of land:
ivVAY5KBlPfBf.gif

So yeah, ridiculously cute and a bit scary.

ibf2i4gNDrs4r2.gif

Toma

Keita Takahashi's new game, no more description is needed.

Are there any videos of the game, other than that half minute Youtube one?

Naaa-nananana-na-naaa Katamari Damacy.

(sry, cant be of help)

Hofmann

This doesn't seem as radical after having played Bientot lete (which does the interactive poetry on the waves) and Today I Die (a fantastic 5-min interactive poetry game).

I'm intrigued.

Not exactly a poetry, but if you like those kind of experiences, you should try Anonyma Kroppar by our fellow Gafer Chainsawkitten. I love how intelligently, interaction plays a subordinate role to an emphasized matter here. Well recommended.

Are you just moving forward? There plants on the side and I am tempted to try to walk on them.

I am just marching forward. I never even contemplated walking on the plants, perhaps that is a kind of message to my mental state.

I recommend Out There Somewhere, which is a 2D puzzle platformer from 2012. The "blink & teleport" mechanic is smartly used.

Desura
Greenlight

2nd, on this recommendation. Really enjoyable little game, I got it for like a quid but I feel it is worth more for sure.

Toma

Random aside, anyone got an idea how to call these "building" games, like Terraria, Gnomoria, Factorio etc?

Gnomoria and Factorio somewhat belong into the sim genre, but I cant get a grip on how I'd call these type of games overarchingly. Terraria/Minecraft arent really "sim" type games.

Toma

Cities in Motion 2 just released on Steam for 20 bucks. Anyone planning to pick it up? I am interested.

Top Bottom