• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I suppose its safe to go into the screen now. I'm assuming they give us the specs in there.

Metrotab

Banned
Welcome to the NHK! - 11

Looks like the roles have turned around in the Satou-Misaki dynamic.

Looking forward to this new Hitomi subplot. It'd be pretty funny if Hitomi turned out to be a member of some suicide cult though.

Theonik

Sailor Moon 30
iua4c8GGhCOfp.png
i03Yv1NIQhpeo.png

Mochi culture.
A pretty fun comedy episode. Not much to add to Regulus's evaluation of this really.

perils of stave hype

Nah, Oreimo 2 is airing in two days. Time for the OT to open up again.
Meant to have less Kuroneko isn't it? In this case I can't agree!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Looks like CR got Samurai Bride.

I like this solely because it's a Showgate show. Which makes it all the more likely that they're going to get Yuyushiki as well.

Also, might watch Devil Survivor 2: The Animation. Just because.

duckroll

Devil Survivor 2 - Episode 1

Wtf? Sequence breaking! You can't summon that sort of shit at lvl1. Also, the music is fucking awful. The soundtrack is an ear-killer, and the OP sucks. Only the ED is decent! No Airi = 0/10. Will keep watching until Airi appears. <3

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Majestic Prince 01:

It was whatever. I would have dropped the episode a few minutes in if there hadn't been the promise of the show not taking itself seriously, but the humor felt pretty consistently unnatural because almost all of the character interaction between the five main characters takes this predictable round-robin formula of "Character A says/does something goofy -> Character B response/reaction face -> Character C response/reaction face -> Character D response/reaction face -> Character E response/reaction face". It's like the show is trying to give them all exactly equal screen time and has no idea how to construct the lolz antics in a fashion that keeps the group as a single unit without chopping up their interaction into neat, separate little pieces that conjure the sensation of watching people perfunctorily reading off of a script. It has one more episode to show to me that it can do the humor differently.

I just about dozed off during the mecha portions, which isn't a good sign. It's technically impressive for CG mecha, but that's still like saying that pink slime is technically impressive for meat filler.

Devil Survivor 2 - Episode 1

Wtf? Sequence breaking! You can't summon that sort of shit at lvl1. Also, the music is fucking awful. The soundtrack is an ear-killer, and the OP sucks. Only the ED is decent! No Airi = 0/10. Will keep watching until Airi appears. <3
Maybe this is new game+ and they had a lot of money so bought it from the compendium.

Jex

Spring sounds like it's off to a terrible start already. Good. Anime still sucks.

P.S. Nadesico has kind of settled down after the half-way point in the series but they still fuck up on the comedy/drama balance and the direction is unfortunately rather bad at times. I wish this show was far more competently made because it has a few interesting ideas to explore.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Spring sounds like it's off to a terrible start already. Good. Anime still sucks.

P.S. Nadesico has kind of settled down after the half-way point in the series but they still fuck up on the comedy/drama balance and the direction is unfortunately rather bad at times. I wish this show was far more competently made because it has a few interesting ideas to explore.

Railgun S2 starts tomorrow.

P.S you are still completely wrong about Nadesico. The whole disconnect/slapstick nature of the comedy/drama is one of the focal points of the show, its supposed to be disjointed as its a mockery of a bunch other specific series (Evangelion, Macross, etc) and genres as a whole. This becomes really apparent in the second half of the series. If it was "well done" in that manner I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. It's truly a unique experience.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 11

I kinda like Fa. She's no Frau Bow, but she's not half bad. Nobody slapped Kamille this episode, which is unfortunate, because he needs it. What bugs me about him is how he constantly claims he's not with the AEUG because he wants to be and how none of this is his fault, except everything IS his fault. If the little bastard hadn't picked a fight and stolen a Gundam, a lot of people would still be alive.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Aku no Hana seems really weird.

This chick undresses the MC in public and puts him in some girls gym clothes in like, 2 seconds flat.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Now that I've seen every Hidamari Sketch OP, I feel like I should rank them. Because after watching iM@S I have the sudden urge to rank everything.

Anyway!

365 > Hidamari Sketch > Hoshimittsu > Honeycomb > SP

365 OP is so damn good. WASSHOI!

CorvoSol

I cried buckets in the last episode of Gurren Lagann, but not because of the Galaxy-shuriken shenanigans, but because of
Nia disappearing.
;______________;

That was the moment that cemented my dislike of her forever. Yoko x Simon is the only ship.

GTO 8-11

Whats weirder, Onizuka asking his student what size she is or a 14 yo girl with F size breasts -_-

Tomoko is best girl, and Kanzaki is #2.

P.S you are still completely wrong about Nadesico. The whole disconnect/slapstick nature of the comedy/drama is one of the focal points of the show, its supposed to be disjointed as its a mockery of a bunch other specific series (Evangelion, Macross, etc) and genres as a whole. This becomes really apparent in the second half of the series. If it was "well done" in that manner I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. It's truly a unique experience.

Agreed, one of the best parts of the end of Nadesico is how much it makes fun of other anime. Especially when Akito comes to terms with his acceptance of
Gai's death
and hatred of anime by deciding that
bringing someone back from the dead
was a really stupid way to go.

Jex

You can parody and critique other works without being a total mess and you can shift between tones without smashing the audience in the face - see Gintama.

Even if I were to accept the argument that being disjointed is part of the commentary then there's nothing that states you direction/animation/art has to be shitty. Although, in all fairness, the direction is rarely shitty, it's mainly just very average except in fight scenes when it's just very confusing. It's not surprising that the directors track record is so uninspiring.

And even if I were to accept the original argument and ignore my the problems with consistency I'm still baffled as to why it's taking so long to get where it's going. The pacing could certainly be considerably tighter.

Mr.Jeff

So we finally get to the first plot-related battle, and we get to see transformation sequences for Nanoha and Fate which are now a bit less lewd because they're adults now. Subaru was the only one of the new 4 that had a great transformation, Tiana's was ok but could have been more lewd, Caro's was boring and nobody cares about Erio. While the action was decent, it's really awful seeing Nanoha and company just fighting robot minions instead of combating other mages. It's just not Nanoha at all.
Thinking back to StrikerS, the only member of the cast I actually liked in the end was Vivio and that was because in the end
she turns out to be truly her "mothers" daughter and becomes a kickass beam spamming teenage mage of her own voiced by Kaori Mizuhashi
. Tianna and Subaru were ultimately a bit dull despite a couple of good fights in the end and Caro and Erio were trying to be proteges of the original series except they kept the child based aspect but lost all the amazingness.

It still puzzles me how people managed to be fan of the Numbers though. I don't remember them getting a whole lot of screen-time as such.

Fun fact: I've never cried at any work of fiction. I've been emotionally worked. I've had my stomach turn and in knots. Hell, I've even been choked up at times. But I never unleashed the waterworks. I'm a jaded fuckbag.
The only examples from anime I can think of are the ending of Heroic Age which is kinda really pathetic but there's something about that series I adore.

The other being Aria which had me routinely blubbing through a fair number of episodes. Indeed, there was an episode in the first series which rather unusually was an anime only addition involving a ribbon at the beach which broke me for some unknown reason. And then there was the finale of Origination....

Crunchyroll got Flowers of Evil

Flowers of Evil (known in Japanese as "Aku no Hana") is set to broadcast every Monday starting on April 8, at 9:30 a.m. Pacific Time for its premium members. Free members will be able to view this series one (1) week after initial Crunchyroll broadcast.

FLOWERS OF EVIL will be available in the following territories: U.S.A, Canada, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Central & South America.

The series page will be up soon at www.crunchyroll.com/akunohana

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 40: Julian's Journey - Humanity's Journey

~ Any age is the same. ~

This episode was basically one giant history lesson on the USG, the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets' Alliance.
I can't help but connect the dots between Emperor Rudolf von Goldenbaum and Chancellor Adolf Hitler. Especially the government practice of eugenics.

yami4ct

Majestic Prince 01

I could say a ton about this, but I don't really have the time or energy. I'll just summarize by saying, for the first episode of a mecha show, I kind of loved it. Great music, pretty action, great mechanical designs. The action parts are totally covered. The story is fun and generic, but the characters are neat and the writing actually quite funny. Character designs are still ugly, but in motion and in conjunction with the comedy do work. Really enjoyed it. Will watch again.

Rayearth

Neo Member

This is also why of all the Super Robot War games, my favorite ones in terms of story are the games that include Nadesico. It's so odd to see the super-serious real robot series (Gundam most especially, since it tends to serve as a backbone to the game's crossover plot) play out their plotlines, while at the same time the Nadesico characters are around, being their usual selved (but can act serious when needed).

I'm so glad SRWJ got hard-translated. Nadesico and FMP Fumoffu really do bring out the WTFs from the rest of the cast. I'm also thankful that there's a script translation for SRWAdv - reading it, I find that Yurika and Bright Noah play off each other well.

Soma

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation

yo what Byakko?

where the hell was this guy when I was fighting that boss in the game?!

wonzo

Banned
Oh, look! Inferno Cop requesting amicably to the series creator a second season of his adventures:

http://anime.webnt.jp/report/view/2998
Good to see Inferno Cop fighting the good fight.

So turned out new Yozakura Quartet anime is a TV series.
It looks like it'll start from the beginning. I haven't read the manga but the ODA's owned so FUCK YEAH.

Yes, which I have been told is a 720p upscale from the remastered DVDs.
Technically they're both from the 1080i Composite Master. It really doesn't look all that hot though.

Oreimo 6-12
... so that ended. I kind of want more because all the side characters didnt get fleshed out enough. I liked everyone but the sister usually.
There's some extra episodes you may want to check out.

Photo Kano - Episode 1

That was plain, cheap, and honestly just boring. It's exactly the sort of show you would expect from the premise of a late night anime adapted from a voyeuristic girl-game about photography. Yokoyama's visual contribution to the show seems to be mostly limited to a few select scenes which the budget allows for animation, while the majority of the show is filled with boring scenes and stills. It's also pretty lewd with a conscious and active focus on the use of the camera to fulfill perverted thoughts which highschool boys might have. Pretty insulting to the actual hobby.

tl;dr - There's nothing interesting here, it's a bad lewd show which perverts might enjoy but it's low budget and boring. Dropped.
You've sold it to roughly half this thread. Stop promoting it!
I dunno about that, I'm a huge perv and this sounds really bad. :(

They have too much good taste to hear animegaf.
Oh look, the resident contrarian troll says a contrarian thing, who'da thunk it.

Aku no Hana seems really weird.

This chick undresses the MC in public and puts him in some girls gym clothes in like, 2 seconds flat.
You've only begun to scratch the surface in their descent into madness and sheer depravity, keep on going.

Crunchyroll got Flowers of Evil
Delaycast? NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :((((((

Will there be more long hair?
Not sure about that but
the haircut happens at the end and it's pretty lewd so it's worth checking out at least the first episode.

red data girl

Wasn't bad ..wasn't good either ... but i'm still cautionnly optimistic that the 2 main characters will evolve properly ... over the course of the episodes

Metrotab

Banned
Windy Tales - 13 (END)

A beautiful end, for a beautiful series.

I'm not gonna lie: I was very skeptic after watching the first episode. The weird vague subject matter and the crazy art style put me off a bit. But over time, this show conquered my heart and became one of my favorite series I have currently watched, far surpassing the other three series of the Backlog Season.

The characters were incredibly sympathetic, and the deep friendship between the 3+1 was heartwarming every week. I loved their interactions.
The atmosphere was simply perfect for the fantastic mythology behind this show, something I can only describe as wondrous.
The music enhanced the entire viewing experience, with beautiful tracks playing to accompany some great scenes.
Watching this show was an absolute bliss.

For all of this, I rate this show 9/10. To me, this was the best show Backlog Season had to offer. Everyone should watch this show. A SoL soothing for the soul.

Not sure about that but
the haircut happens at the end and it's pretty lewd so it's worth checking out at least the first episode.

I think I'll take a wait and see approach to this. See what people have to say about it in the next episode or so.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Majestic Prince 01

Real Impressions:

This was a really solid first episode. It was very fun to watch and while it's not serious all the time I think it maintained that serious demeanor throughout. I think the color play is very cool and despite the liberal use of CG I think it blends well and has a glow/rainbow effect. It's a visual spectacle. Also, I noted that I did not like Hirai's designs when I watched the trailer but it totally clicks within the context of the episode as a whole. It totally works.

At its core the show is amusing. The comedic antics of the Rabbit Team is pretty great and despite them not getting along in their mock fights, their personalities meld well. It's especially fun to see their immediate reactions/impressions.

The mecha designs are very cool. All of them are different and you can see what each unit is for based on their visual construction.

I'm going to keep watching this and I'm freaking excited for the next episode.

TLDR/Joke Impressions:

- Female Rabbit Team members suck.
- All male characters on the team are awesome.
- I didn't know I was in this show. AND I'm a badass. Fuck yeah.
- Fucking Miyuki Sawashiro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom