• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Repost from the Starseed Pilgrim thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528972
Just got a Steam key. Since I already own the game, and I dont care about having it on Steam, best Haiku about why you want to play the game wins the key. You may deviate a bit from the path. Haiku that describes the game and its features/elements is fine too.

24 hours. Go.

If you want to participate, post it over there to bump the thread a bit in celebration of the Steam release.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Also for the new page:

Play Unepic guys. There is a free demo:
sc_2.png
http://www.desura.com/games/unepic

Toma

Additionally, I am now ending the speedrun contest of the OP and will contact the winner via PM.

The winner is nimajneb with this ridiculous time:

And the random winner out of the other entries is:
Blizniak

Nimajneb won Legend of Grimrock. Fantastic game, I hope he doesnt own it yet. If not, I might need to have a talk with my random gift number generator.

And the random entry winner Blizniak wins La-Mulana. I'll be in contact with the winners.

Wok

Is anyone interested in buying a 4-pack of Monaco and selling me one or two copies? The price on Steam is $40.49, but I don't have access to the US Steam store. This would be someone who wants the game, since one copy of the 4-pack would be automatically added to his/her library.

Edit: I am from Europe and I checked the paypal fees 15 hours ago, and unfortunately, it is not so interesting in the end for me to buy from an American GAFfer, so I went with the 4-pack directly on the dev website. Each copy of the 4-pack has cost me 8 euros. If you want one copy from me, it is okay, yet I feel this would not be the best price because of the paypal fees + foreign exchange.

Toma

Best of all, it's a Spanish game, and the Spanish dialogue is just rolling on floor funny. I usually set my games to English but this one I'll play in Spanish.

The english one isnt bad either.

And I didnt think the spanish one was funny!

kafiend

Best of all, it's a Spanish game, and the Spanish dialogue is just rolling on floor funny. I usually set my games to English but this one I'll play in Spanish.

I wrote and rewrote a personal review of this last month because it was about all I was playing but never posted it. All I found to bitch about was the swearing in the dialogue. I found the game to be incredibly funny and clever, then there's a "fuck" inserted and I just found it seemed out of place and unnecessary for some reason.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here that the Unepic build on Desura is out of date and you need to download updated versions from the Unepic website.

Currently
Desura version 1.0.30
Unepic Homepage version 1.0.36
http://www.unepicgame.com/en/downloads.html

Toma

I wrote and rewrote a personal review of this last month because it was about all I was playing but never posted it. All I found to bitch about was the swearing in the dialogue. I found the game to be incredibly funny and clever, then there's a "fuck" inserted and I just found it seemed out of place and unnecessary for some reason.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here that the Unepic build on Desura is out of date and you need to download updated versions from the Unepic website.

Currently
Desura version 1.0.30
Unepic Homepage version 1.0.36
http://www.unepicgame.com/en/downloads.html

What. Why the hell :(

What did I miss by not playing the updated version? Anything worth restarting for?

kafiend

What. Why the hell :(

What did I miss by not playing the updated version? Anything worth restarting for?

No idea as I only found the info out after I was overdosed on it/ I'm still on the Desura version. The revelation and my look at the changelogs sent me into a depression of AAA titles.

Toma

Waaah, lets just say I started an english localization 4 years ago of an Indie game I loved as a child. And lets just say that I finished 2 out of 5 available games before the project sort of got forgotten for a while. And lets just say the dev just asked me to continue with the localization...

Would I find someone here that has any interest in playing it? :)

I am also considering making a thread about that at one point (even though I am connected to the project), but maybe I can squeeze the thread through since I want some GAF feedback on the translation and whether the game still is interesting to play these days (which the dev fears it is not and I want to prove him wrong).

The english one isnt bad either.

And I didnt think the spanish one was funny!

The most unusual thing for me is how the main character speaks in what is extremely colloquial Spanish (and particularly Spanish slang, as in from Spain specifically). It's really like going back to being 15 and trading jabs with my mates. I can't imagine anyone not from Spain itself getting, let alone enjoying, most of the slang he uses.

Of course, the standard high fantasy Spanish used by the denizens of that world makes the contrast all the more funny.

That has a really good explanation: for better of worse, this is exactly how us Spanish people talk colloquially (that includes me, and note I don't swear in English). If you're doing a straight translation of colloquial Spanish speech to, say, English, the end result will be something that makes the English speaker's ears' bleed. We have a, um, colorful range of swear words, that we use pretty much like other languages use commas; and particularly English seems to have a quite narrow range of bad words, so pretty much all of the translate as "fuck". So:
"Joder" -> "Fuck" (literal)
"Coño" - > "Fuck" (actually female genitalia).
"Hostia/Ostia" -> "Fuck" (sacramental bread... yeah, don't even ask :D).
"Cojones" -> "Fuck" (testicles, but it's much more often said than the English equivalents).
"Puto/Puta" (adj) -> "Fucking" (actually, "that prostitutes itself").
The list, believe it or not, goes on.
That's not even getting into the colorful phrases that I won't really go into for the benefit of my readers' innocent eyes. :D The bottom line is, on a direct translation, 5 year old girls in Spain would be fouler-mouthed than American truck drivers; you don't want to know about teenagers.
I'm talking about Spain Spanish, BTW; from my experience, our overseas cousins tend to be rather better-mouthed.

Waaah, lets just say I started an english localization 4 years ago of an Indie game I loved as a child. And lets just say that I finished 2 out of 5 available games before the project sort of got forgotten for a while. And lets just say the dev just asked me to continue with the localization...

Would I find someone here that has any interest in playing it? :)

Really, Toma? You have to freaking ask? I'd say after all you've done here, the very minimum we owe you is to try it! I could only find the German version on the site, though, can you give us a link to the English one?

Toma

Really, Toma? You have to freaking ask? I'd say after all you've done here, the very minimum we owe you is to try it! I could only find the German version on the site, though, can you give us a link to the English one?

The english versions are still in the making. I did the work on those about 4 years ago and actually finished 2 games, but I just noticed that I need to redo some of the work I did. Once I am done with correcting my loca files for the first 2 games, I'll talk to the dev again about publishing the english version of these two :)

From the makers of Don't Shit Your Pants comes a 2D procedurally generated action-platformer, Rogue Legacy. Every time you die, you play as the next generation of your children who have specific disabilities like color blindness, dyslexia, gigantism, near-sightedness and irritable bowels. I shit you not.

Rogue Legacy Trailer

Steam Greenlight

RPS: I Need To Be Playing Rogue Legacy Right Now

Can't wait for this game be Greenlit, and guys don't forget to make you daily move in VESPER.5

From the makers of Don't Shit Your Pants comes a 2D procedurally generated action-platformer, Rogue Legacy. Every time you die, you play as the next generation of your children who have specific disabilities like color blindness, dyslexia, gigantism, near-sightedness and irritable bowels. I shit you not.

I wonder if I play as a color blind character if everything will still look normal to me (or if they'll go full black and white or something)

kafiend

I wonder if I play as a color blind character if everything will still look normal to me (or if they'll go full black and white or something)

From the RPS link above.

...Each new generation is born with specific traits. They might be colour blind (game goes black and white)...

Purposely didn't quote the rest as it might be fun to find out first hand :)

Raxum

Rogue Legacy Trailer

Steam Greenlight

RPS: I Need To Be Playing Rogue Legacy Right Now

This game looks amazing, definitely be interesting to spend some time with and try to advance your character and lineage. Definitely getting a vote from me!

The english versions are still in the making. I did the work on those about 4 years ago and actually finished 2 games, but I just noticed that I need to redo some of the work I did. Once I am done with correcting my loca files for the first 2 games, I'll talk to the dev again about publishing the english version of these two :)

Mmmmm, so we should try the German version in the meantime? Is it text-heavy? I admit the German installer intimidated me a bit, as I don't speak a word of German. :D

Toma

Mmmmm, so we should try the German version in the meantime? Is it text-heavy? I admit the German installer intimidated me a bit, as I don't speak a word of German. :D

lol, its VERY text heavy. 1000 lines of text for the first and smallest one. Its also heavily inspired by the roguelike game design in that you need to know how to use the items and environments to your advantage. You definitely need to be able to read item descriptions. Despite its simple looks, its actually rather tricky. People will get stuck a lot at first until they figure out how to play the game. It actually has some of the Starseed Pilgrim "Explore the mechanics" feel to it.

Toma

Can someone with $ prices please check the price of Overlight on Desura for me? The price is way off. Its actually super cheap now, buying.

Toma

slow day at work, toma?

Haha, actually its a slow day after work. I played a lot of SpecOps (to see what the fuss is about), Soul Sacrifice and Fire Emblem in the past few days (FE mainly today, SS mainly the 2 days before). I guess I just needed an Indie injection and went to Desura to check the latest releases. Havent played any of those yet, but some look really intriguing.

Toma

The latest TIGSource Devlog Magazine is up. It's been a great addition for me in finding some great indies being made as it bundles up interesting things within the TIGSource forums on a (nearly) weekly basis.

http://venuspatrol.com/2013/04/tigs...isual-showcase-of-awesome-new-games-issue-14/

Dying sun looks really cool, "summer 2014":
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32302.0

Roguelike called The Bitter End I might check out (already out):
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32494.0

Sprout too:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32712.0

Toma

Alriiight, put some time into the aforementioned games. Impressions coming up.

Top Bottom