• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core for the Wii??

Canti

Don't you mean on a Nintendo system?

Anyway this would be great news if true. :) I was just thinking the other day on how disappointed Ive been with the lack of fighting games for Nintendo systems for the past 2 gens. I guess Wii (and perhaps PS2) are the most realistic platforms for the game, considering resolution. Although, it smacks of suspicion because I cant see the game working without a GC/Classic controller: unless they bundled one with the game (doubtful), they wouldnt be forcing people to buy a seperate controller to play the game, does the Wii controller even have enough buttons?

Also, added online would rock /pipe dream

TreIII

Same here. It would also probably set a good note for 2D fighters to set up shop on the Wii.

I really would like to see Arcana Heart and Battle Fantasia eventually swing the Wii's way when it comes time to consider them for home console porting. And KOF12 and Samurai Spirits SEN too, for that matter...

Canti

IPGlider said:
Better if is released out of Japan, not like Slash.

Nintendo DS, GG Dual Strikers say hi.

I refuse to accept that game, they mustve been drunk when they made it ;) GG Petite was better :/

Canti said:
Don't you mean on a Nintendo system?

Anyway this would be great news if true. :) I was just thinking the other day on how disappointed Ive been with the lack of fighting games for Nintendo systems for the past 2 gens. I guess Wii (and perhaps PS2) are the most realistic platforms for the game, considering resolution. Although, it smacks of suspicion because I cant see the game working without a GC/Classic controller: unless they bundled one with the game (doubtful), they wouldnt be forcing people to buy a seperate controller to play the game, does the Wii controller even have enough buttons?

Also, added online would rock /pipe dream

Motion-control auto-moves option, or CC/GC controller standard play.

CvS2 on GC was great, it's too bad the GC had no other good traditional 2d fighting games... Guilty Gear and, hopefully SNK stuff on Wii would be awesome. As long as they're on PS2 they will never come out here thanks to SCEA, but if they ever release stuff for Wii (or 360), our chances are much, much better...

A Black Falcon said:
CvS2 on GC was great, it's too bad the GC had no other good traditional 2d fighting games... Guilty Gear and, hopefully SNK stuff on Wii would be awesome. As long as they're on PS2 they will never come out here thanks to SCEA, but if they ever release stuff for Wii (or 360), our chances are much, much better...
If by great you mean suck then yes.
Capcom vs SNK 2 EVO was a mess, but at least Capcom tried to make it work on the GC I guess.

Prime crotch said:
If by great you mean suck then yes.
Capcom vs SNK 2 EVO was a mess, but at least Capcom tried to make it work on the GC I guess.

I thought it worked just fine. The GC d-pad is small, but good quality; it's the same dpad from the GBC and GBA, and it works just as well here as it did there. The button layout is good too. While it isn't as good as a true six-button layout would be, it still works as well as can be expected from a four face button controller... I played a lot of GC CvS2. The EO mode was pointless (except for occasional entertainment functions like being able to spam Kaiser Waves and stuff), but as long as you stick with AC-ism, it works well. Not owning a PS2 or Xbox, I was dissapointed the GC didn't get any more decent 2d fighters... at least we got one though, which is more than I can say for the N64 (sorry, KI Gold and MK Trilogy fans...)... that is, unless you count SSB/SSBM of course, which are great games, just very different from tradtional fighters.

A Black Falcon said:
I thought it worked just fine. The GC d-pad is small, but good quality; it's the same dpad from the GBC and GBA, and it works just as well here as it did there. The button layout is good too. While it isn't as good as a true six-button layout would be, it still works as well as can be expected from a four face button controller... I played a lot of GC CvS2. The EO mode was pointless (except for occasional entertainment functions like being able to spam Kaiser Waves and stuff), but as long as you stick with AC-ism, it works well. Not owning a PS2 or Xbox, I was dissapointed the GC didn't get any more decent 2d fighters... at least we got one though, which is more than I can say for the N64 (sorry, KI Gold and MK Trilogy fans...)... that is, unless you count SSB/SSBM of course, which are great games, just very different from tradtional fighters.
I'm the oposite then I absolutely hate GC's d-pad hell I even hate the GBA SP d-pad and overall design, to clunky for extended play. But I can't see how anyone can play decently a 2D fighting game with those d-pads.

Prime crotch said:
I'm the oposite then I absolutely hate GC's d-pad hell I even hate the GBA SP d-pad and overall design, to clunky for extended play. But I can't see how anyone can play decently a 2D fighting game with those d-pads.

The GC's dpad is a way better dpad than the terrible "missing center" thing the PSX/PS2 uses, that's for sure... Xbox does have a good dpad though.

As for using it for long periods of time, you get used to it... (oh, and the GBA-SP dpad is different; as the console has to fold, like the DS dpad it's flatter. The GC one is the one from the GBC and original-model GBA.)

It certainly isn't as good as the dpads on the SNES, Genesis, N64, and Saturn, to name a few, but I don't think console in released in the last ten years has a dpad that great, so that's not saying much of anything... (on the subject of the N64, the N64 has an awesome dpad just as good as the SNES one. It's too bad that more fighting games didn't come out to make use of it...)

A Black Falcon said:
The GC's dpad is a way better dpad than the terrible "missing center" thing the PSX/PS2 uses, that's for sure... Xbox does have a good dpad though.

As for using it for long periods of time, you get used to it... (oh, and the GBA-SP dpad is different; as the console has to fold, like the DS dpad it's flatter. The GC one is the one from the GBC and original-model GBA.)
To small, stiff and badly positioned for me. PS2's is a nice d-pad not terribly good for this type of games but it gets the job done, now Sega's Saturn and Mega Drive d-pad on the other hand were godly.

jarrod

Banned
TreIII said:
Same here. It would also probably set a good note for 2D fighters to set up shop on the Wii.

I really would like to see Arcana Heart and Battle Fantasia eventually swing the Wii's way when it comes time to consider them for home console porting. And KOF12 and Samurai Spirits SEN too, for that matter...
Wii seems like almost the perfect platform for Type-X1/2/+ conversions actually. More horsepower than PS2/PSP to get better conversions, and the games wouldn't look out of place like they would on PS3/360.

Avalon

Parallax Scroll said:
I lost track of Guilty Gear games after #Reload. What's Accent Core?

#Reload > #Slash > Accent Core

Mostly gameplay tweaks and a couple of new characters.

What did they fix in Accent Core?

Good news, I don't mind myself some Guilty Gear and I love the visual style of the games. I do wonder how well it will translate to Wii control but then again MK:A looks pretty good on Wii so maybe there is hope after all.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is so not happening. Accent Core is just barely out in arcades, and PS2 ports will come first. Not saying it couldn't happen eventually though.

Avalon said:
#Reload > #Slash > Accent Core

Mostly gameplay tweaks and a couple of new characters.

What did they fix in Accent Core?

No new characters in Accent Core.

Grecco

Its bound ot have some sort of Wii thing.. just like the ds had the touch mini games

but Im all for it. it diversifies the Wii lineup

Lyte Edge said:
This is so not happening. Accent Core is just barely out in arcades, and PS2 ports will come first. Not saying it couldn't happen eventually though.

No new characters in Accent Core.

Gamely have been 100% accurate with their Wii game predictions.

Bebpo

Banned
TreIII said:

Why would you want to see Battle Fantasia on Wii? 2d games, sure. But BF is in HD in the arcades. I'd rather have an arcade perfect home version on PS3/X360.

But Arc System's gorgeous high definition new fighter definitely showed off what the Viewlix is capable of. And it wasn't just the bright screen or the striking red-white contrast of the cab's paint job that attracted my interest -- the ergonomics seem to be better than the Lindbergh's as well. The Viewlix cabs were set up next to four Virtua Fighter 5 machines, and you can see from the picture above that Taito has tilted the screen back at a much larger angle than Sega, resulting in a more natural and relaxed stance, and giving the player a more commanding view over the whole screen. I must have put in a good 50 hours on the Lindbergh cab so far, but I'd take the Viewlix over it any day. (However, I'd still say that, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, Sega's cabinet is much better-looking. Not that it makes any difference.)

But enough hardware talk, I'll write again about Sega's and Taito's high definition arcade solutions when I know more about them. In the meantime Arc System's latest deserves all our attention, because it's the first 2D fighter running at a high definition resolution -- using 3D graphics, of course. If it does well there will be more where it came from; if not, there probably won't. In any case, this approach is the genre's future and, judging by the enthusiasm with which it was received, it should manage to open up the way for more similar efforts.

Dali

Bebpo said:
Why would you want to see Battle Fantasia on Wii? 2d games, sure. But BF is in HD in the arcades. I'd rather have an arcade perfect home version on PS3/X360.

Seconded. I just mentioned this game here yesterday, and I'd really like to see it come home. I was wondering if it is still going to be, or has been, fully released. It is hard to find much info on it, and that quote was pertaining to playtests, not the full release. You're in Japan, right? Has it gotten a full release?

ethelred

Dali said:
Seconded. I just mentioned this game here yesterday, and I'd really like to see it come home. I was wondering if it is still going to be, or has been, fully released. It is hard to find much info on it, and that quote was pertaining to playtests, not the full release. You're in Japan, right? Has it gotten a full release?

He had to flee the Japanese countrywide because of a botched black market organ transplant surgery... or something. He was pretty sloshed when he was relating the tale.

Dali

ethelred said:
He had to flee the Japanese countrywide because of a botched black market organ transplant surgery... or something. He was pretty sloshed when he was relating the tale.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why you demand cash up front.

PkunkFury

Lyte Edge said:

with all the PS2 to Wii ports these days I don't see why you wouldn't expect both to happen at the same time

Lyte Edge

omg rite said:
And you know this how?

Come on...GAME FLY is the first to get the release date for a game that hasn't even been announced for a home platform in Japan yet? 7/30? ENGLISH version? Yeah, not happening. And what company is "Aksys?" I could only find one title from "Aksys Games" called "Eagle Eye Golf."

Show me a Japanese announcement (since that would clearly come first) and I'll believe it.

PkunkFury said:
with all the PS2 to Wii ports these days I don't see why you wouldn't expect both to happen at the same time

I don't expect it because there is also no PS2 port of the game now either. :p No announcement, no official info = me no believe.

But yeah...look at all those PS2 fighters that got released on the Wii! Oh, wait.

wsippel

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Come on...GAME FLY is the first to get the release date for a game that hasn't even been announced for a home platform in Japan yet? 7/30? ENGLISH version? Yeah, not happening. And what company is "Aksys?" I could only find one title from "Aksys Games" called "Eagle Eye Golf."
Aksys is a new publisher formed by former Atlus staff:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10094

And Gamefly has a good track record, it wouldn't be the first time a new, unannounced game pops up on Gamefly.

TreIII

Bebpo said:

Because, in spite of its HD qualities (it runs at 720p, if I remember correctly), it's still is a 2D-style game at its core. And that fact alone is probably what would end up making it a "pass" on the Sony front, and an iffy thing for Microsoft's. I mean, if you already possess the likes of Tekken/DOA, Virtua Figther 5 and possibly Soul Calibur 4 on tap at the least, all of which are tried and proven franchises which will definitely sell well, what need would you have for an untested, and worse yet, unheralded game like this on your line up?

In spite of Arc Systems' best efforts, this game hasn't been doing all that well in trying to entice people to play it during its beta tests. To put it bluntly, there's not much of a scene to speak of for this game. Disappointing, definitely, but the likes of Arcana Hearts (which pretty much debuted in the beta test scene around the same time as BF) have been kicking Fantasia's ass rather soundly.

So, with those two factors in mind, if this game even has a future at all to speak of, I personally don't think it will be on Microsoft or Sony's camps. It would probably do well to slide on in with the possible other Taito X2 ports that might eventually hit the Wii, at least, if SNKP starts the ball rolling like they're pretty much planning to...

Lyte Edge

Just given the installbase and the control types available, I don't see why any of these companies would go Wii over PS2. They don't need to release them on PS3 either since PS2 games will play on the system anyway. And so far this seems to be the case. The next home release is Arc's Hokuto No Ken...for PS2.

(Tre, it's Arcana Heart. No "S." :)) I'd say it's also been more successful because it has loliesque anime schoolgirl characters. That's insta-win in Japan.

wsippel

Banned
A small update from Aksys: In October 2006, Game Crazy had Aksys listed as the US publisher for "Guilty Gear Series" on PS2 and Wii. They basically denied it back then on their forum, stating that any official game announcements would be on their website. And now, some months later, this pops up on Gamefly - with a real title of a game that actually exists (instead of just "series"), on one of the platforms mentioned last October, once again published by Aksys...

Some links:
http://www.aksysgl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31 <- Aksys' "denial" from October 2006
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40-49-en-70-1sru.html <- Guilty Gear XX Slash for PS2, published by Aksys

Bebpo

Banned
TreIII said:
Because, in spite of its HD qualities (it runs at 720p, if I remember correctly), it's still is a 2D-style game at its core. And that fact alone is probably what would end up making it a "pass" on the Sony front, and an iffy thing for Microsoft's. I mean, if you already possess the likes of Tekken/DOA, Virtua Figther 5 and possibly Soul Calibur 4 on tap at the least, all of which are tried and proven franchises which will definitely sell well, what need would you have for an untested, and worse yet, unheralded game like this on your line up?

In spite of Arc Systems' best efforts, this game hasn't been doing all that well in trying to entice people to play it during its beta tests. To put it bluntly, there's not much of a scene to speak of for this game. Disappointing, definitely, but the likes of Arcana Hearts (which pretty much debuted in the beta test scene around the same time as BF) have been kicking Fantasia's ass rather soundly.

So, with those two factors in mind, if this game even has a future at all to speak of, I personally don't think it will be on Microsoft or Sony's camps. It would probably do well to slide on in with the possible other Taito X2 ports that might eventually hit the Wii, at least, if SNKP starts the ball rolling like they're pretty much planning to...

What do the US policies have to do with a fighting game that makes the most of its sales in Japan?

Plus MS rejects nothing. Anything can come out on the X360, even Onechanbara is coming out in the US.

And Sony US doesn't reject many games either. They asked SNK to package a few games together since they were old titles, and they don't want ports on PSP because it keeps developers from making original titles. There are plenty of 2d games that made it through on the PS2. Guilty Gear sure did. Plus BF is POLYGONS, there's 0% chance it would get rejected.

Honestly your points just seem like you're reaching because you don't want Arc System games on any system but Wii. It seems pretty clear that the reason BF even exists in the form that it does, is because Arc has targetted the X360/PS3 as their next machine for home releases and they want to make games in HD accordingly.

And 720p is what all X360 games run in, so it's not like BF is closer to Wii resolution or something :p

Chemo

Lyte Edge said:
Just like Metal Slug Anthology right? As far as I know, 6 is fresh out of arcades, too.

TreIII

Lyte Edge said:
Just given the installbase and the control types available, I don't see why any of these companies would go Wii over PS2. They don't need to release them on PS3 either since PS2 games will play on the system anyway. And so far this seems to be the case. The next home release is Arc's Hokuto No Ken...for PS2.

Well, for one simple reason...the Taito X2. A number of the companies that once made their homes on the likes of the Naomi-class hardware are going to be jumping ship to that hardware rather soon, and with that, changes the face of the playing field once again.

Once the likes of ArcSys and SNKP truly utilize the hardware to its 2D pushing best, the PS2 is going to be an even less reasonable console of choice than when it was barely able to support the Taito X. At its best, I could imagine maybe KOF12 getting a release on the PS2 too, but only because my gut instincts tell me that particular game is probably not going to push the Taito X2 to its limits any more than SNKP's first effort on the Atomiswave did. But once they get more proficient with the hardware (and possibly pull out all the stops for the likes of a possible MOTW sequel), the PS2 just isn't going to cut the mustard any more.

So, unless they're up to the idea of butchering up the games for a lower-end console in such ways that haven't been seen since the 16bit era, the PS2 is going to eventually have to give up the ghost, and its title of being the "number 1 console stronghold for (non-digitally distributed) 2D games" of this particular generation. And in my eyes, the Wii is looking to be the console that may end up being the successor of this title. I agree with jarrod...the 2D/2D style games are probably not going to be that welcome on the PS3 or 360 all that much, as long as they dare to be non-digitally distributed titles over PSN and Live Arcade.

And again, I guess I must be on to something, because again, at least SNKP is seemingly leaning in that overall direction.

(Tre, it's Arcana Heart. No "S." :)) I'd say it's also been more successful because it has loliesque anime schoolgirl characters. That's insta-win in Japan.

Well, that was pretty much a no-brainer. I was just saddened in the sole fact that, as of yet, BF has yet to really catch on in Japan. Maybe some are reluctant to come back to it after the "Fatal Error" incident back a few months ago? I dunno... :lol

Dr. Jade

No need for the classic controller here ... just tilt the Wiimote Excitetruck style and play that way. You have the 2 side buttons for weak punch/kick moves and then tilt the controller left/right or forward/back for strong punch/kick ... eh?

Top Bottom